PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : newbie: configuring adsl wan access

naftis
02-07-2005, 15:50
Hi all, please excuse me for the stupid questions but I'm a newbie... I have to setup the following scenario:

ADSL line (Italy, provider www.tiscali.it) --> ADSL ethernet modem D-LINK 300T --> ASUS WL500G DELUXE --> wired & wireless client PC's connected via LAN and sharing the internet connection.

I have configured the modem for my ISP using PPPoA and required user name & password. If I connect the modem directly to one PC via ethernet all works fine. This modem has the IP 192.168.1.1 and offers a DHCP service I can fully configure (or disable).

Now I'd like the modem to provide just the "bare" connection to my ISP and let the WL500G connect to the internet using this modem, serve as DHCP and share the connection to all the LAN clients.

I have tried the following setup:

1) modem configured for my ISP as specified (PPPoA) and tested. Its IP is 192.168.1.1. Its DHCP service is OFF (or this is a fault? I'm a bit confused about the two DHCP servers, modem + WL500G).

2) the modem is connected to my WL500G via ethernet cable to the WAN port. The WAN led in WL500G is steady green. Of course, my PCs are connected to the WL500G (wired and wireless).

3) the WL500G has IP 192.168.1.2, and its DHCP service has a pool from 192.168.1.3 to .254. I have used the quick setup wizard to set it for PPPoE, with the required username & password (the same I provided for the modem). Other than changing the IP addresses and setting up PPPoE I have made no other changes to the default settings.

Anyway with these settings I cannot access the modem (at 192.168.1.1) nor the internet, while the LAN works as expected. The modem leds are all OK as they were when it was directly connected to my PC and internet worked. The WL500G leds too are all steady green. I can connect to the WL500G via 192.168.1.2, but I don't know what to do to let the WL500G correctly work with the modem to get internet access.

Could anyone give a hint?
Thank you very much in advance!

Oleg
02-07-2005, 18:14
You should change wl-500g LAN address to 192.168.0.1 (and the LAN should be 192.168.0.x) to get it working in the Home Gateway mode.

naftis
02-07-2005, 22:46
Thank you very much for the quick response! Anyway, I still cannot manage to get it working, and I'm receiving very confused replies from my ISP support; I'd really need the help of someone who knows what he's saying... :-). Here's what happens:

-- modem: I have changed its IP to 192.168.1.2 (submask 255.255.255.0); its DHCP service is enabled, its IP pool ranges from 192.168.1.3 to .254, and the primary DNS reads as 192.168.1.2 (=the modem itself). The modem leds say it is up and connected. If I connect the modem directly to the PC, I can connect to the internet and the PC gets the IP dynamically assigned by the ISP (e.g. 84.220.19.186; anyway, I'd expect it to be 192.168.1.3 or the like...?). I can access the modem setup via 192.168.1.2.

-- if I now unplug the modem ethernet cable from my PC, plug it into the WL500G WAN and turn the router on, I can access the router via 192.168.1.1: it says the PPPoE connection is disconnected because it lost IP from server and I cannot manage to connect. I can no more access the modem setup at 192.168.1.2, and pinging this IP fails. My PC now has received the expected IP, 192.168.1.3, and its default gateway reads 192.168.1.1 (=the router). All the leds on the modem have not changed (=steady green); the power, wan, air and lan leds on the router are all steady green.

The router is configured as follows (limiting to the relevant parameters):

- PPPoE (speed=auto)
- do not get DNS server automatically (I also tried to enter my ISP DNS names but nothing changes)
- user name and password set as for the modem
- enable PPPoE relay: NO
- LAN IP address: 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway is 192.168.1.1

- DHCP server: enabled
- IP pool: from 192.168.1.3 to .254
- DNS server 1: blank
- DNS server 2 (not editable): 192.168.1.1
- no WINS server
- IP manual assignment disabled
- no routing
- UPnP enabled

- NAT: no port trigger, virtual server or DMZ (all unchanged as it was in default settings)

- Firewall: enabled; enabled WEB access from WAN at port 8080

- Operation mode: Home Gateway

The link status reads DISCONNECTED. If I click the action button CONNECT in this page it fails to connect and nothing changes.

Surely you all know the config options available on WL500G much better than me. As for the modem config options, they are:
- connection type (PPPoA), encapsulation, user and password, VPI & VCI, etc., as defined by ISP and tested.
- I can enable or disable the modem DHCP service. If I enable it I can choose the start and end addresses for the pool and the primary DNS IP. Finally I can change the modem IP address (as I did to move it from 192.168.1.1 to .2).

These are all my config options: how can I play with them? I have found no help in the manifacturers websites, they just tell to plug an ethernet modem into the WAN port and everything should go fine... Could anyone please help in setting these devices to work together, so that I can have my modem just act as a dumb bridge between my ISP and the router, and have the router manage the whole LAN as it did before plugging the modem in the WAN port?

Thank you!

elmir
03-07-2005, 01:08
Had same problem, as I'm newbie like you :)
I have similar modem/router from D-link like you, so I hope this would be useful for you.

1st solution: Disable DHCP server on D-link, change its IP address to something different from IP 192.168.0.1 (reserve it for 500g) for examp. 192.168.0.10 Read MAC address from D-link. Configure 500g IP Config - DHCP Server and Assign IP Address Manually Your D-link MAC and IP 192.168.0.10 Configure your WLAN (and LAN) clients to use 192.168.0.10 as default gateway (you need to assign IP addresses for clients also i think), and plug D-link to LAN port on 500g.

After reading D-link's manual (and some networking essentials:) it could be done more elegant as:

2nd solution: Configure D-link as Bridge, Plug it to WAN port on 500g. Configure 500g IP Config - WAN & LAN providing it with connection type (PPoE probably), your username, password and other connection parameters if needed, received from your ISP. You not need to configure your clients in this case.

Oleg
03-07-2005, 11:08
The router is configured as follows (limiting to the relevant parameters):

- PPPoE (speed=auto)
- do not get DNS server automatically (I also tried to enter my ISP DNS names but nothing changes)

Should be Automatic IP, not pppoe. DNS should be auto too.

naftis
03-07-2005, 13:05
thank you all guys, I managed to get it working... here's what I did, maybe it can be useful to other readers:

1) modem (D-Link DSL 300T): I could not set it to bridge because it seems that with PPPoA authentication cannot be made from a second PPPoE device. Thus I have set the modem to PPPoA with the required parameters, and left all the other settings as default (DHCP enabled, IP 192.168.1.1, pool from 192.168.1.2 to .254).

2) router (WL500G deluxe): connection type set to dynamic IP. I changed its IP to 192.168.0.1 and its DHCP pool from 192.168.0.2 to .254.

3) after having configured the 2 devices one at a time, I connected the modem to the WAN port of the router.

Now everything works fine, except for the fact that my laser printer OKI B4100 seems not to be among the recognized models, but this is a minor issue...

Thanks to all for pointing me in the correct direction!