PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : HELP - WL-HDD as Web Server/FTP

freedom4eva
17-06-2005, 15:53
Hi All,
This is my first time asking a question on here, but have been using the forum for a while for valuable help (Thanks to all the threads out there). I do intend to add a thread with all my findings after I am happy with all my settings, in an easy to follow guide (for Windows users) with some helpfully utilities.
Even though I consider myself a fairly advanced Windows computer user (with no or very little knowlege of Linux), reaching ideal settings has not been straight forward, but I have got there in the end. Am now trying to get even more for my setup by trying to add Web Server/FTP access, to access my WL-HDD whilst away from home, and here is where I become stuck.

Firstly my hardware:
Netgear DG384G Wireless Router (I.P. 192.168.0.1) - Firmware V1.05.00
Asus WL-HDD (I.P. 192.168.0.6) - Standard Firmware 1.2.3.4
Noxon Audio (I.P. 192.168.0.5) - Firmware 3.3301
TwonkyVision Media Server Version 2.8
Wireless Laptop and Desktop (Belkin Wirless Cards)

My WL-HDD is connected to the Netgear router via LAN connection and the Noxon accesses the WL-HDD wirelessly.

I believe I have setup Port forwarding to my WL-HDD form my Netgear Router via Port 21 to 192.168.0.6 after finding some help on the web (I had no previous knowlege of this). I now need to be able to complete the rest of the setup proccess on My WL-HDD. Do I need to install a web server on the WL-HDD? If so which one, and How? (In plain English please, for easy reference).

I really would like to not change the firmware of my WL-HDD as I have my wireless media Server working in a way that I am happy with. I would just like to add the FTP access without having to effect any of my other settings.

Can anyone help me with this???? Or am I asking too much????
Thanks for reading.

fastclick
27-06-2005, 14:51
Do I need to install a web server on the WL-HDD?

if you just want to use the basic features of the WL-HDD: No
Actually you can't really run a webserver in a sensible way, without replacing the firmware.

There is a basic FTP-Server on the WL-HDD and you should be able to access it.

Just go to the admin pages on your WL-HDD (regarding manual)

If you have trouble connecting. Let me know.

If you like to upgrade Firmware read here (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1984).