PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Slow Web Interface with USB disk plugged in

jmfv
28-12-2010, 11:58
Hi,

I'm using the standard 3.0.4.4 firmware on my ASUS 500gP V2 and my router's web interface becomes very slow when I plug my USB disk. Apparently, it is reading the disk before displaying the main page, maybe to calculate the free disk space. Once the main page is displayed, I can browse through the router's interface quite smoothly, except for "Advance Settings\USB Applications", which shows only after some time, most likely after the router reads the disk again.

Is there any workaround to avoid this slow disk access? The disk is formatted with FAT32, 64k cluster size.

Thanks

wpte
29-12-2010, 20:58
hmm...
was it always that slow?
or just recent?

it might be a part of the asus download manager being stuck which happened to me a lot when I still used the asus fw:)

jmfv
30-12-2010, 00:20
Hi

It is slow as long as the USB disk is plugged in. If the USB disk is disconnected, then the Web interface works smoothly.

Thanks in advance for your help
(btw, which firmware are you using? oleg's?)

wpte
30-12-2010, 15:39
Hi

It is slow as long as the USB disk is plugged in. If the USB disk is disconnected, then the Web interface works smoothly.

Thanks in advance for your help
(btw, which firmware are you using? oleg's?)

That's not what I ment to ask:)
Has the usb disk always slowed down the router? or does the usb disk just slows down the router recently?

Yes I use oleg's:)

jmfv
30-12-2010, 19:46
Hi,

I dared to install oleg's firmware and now the problem is gone. Using the ssh connection to the router, and running "df", I found out that the access to a NTFS partition of the USB disk is very slow. So, as long as I don't access the NTFS partition, the USB disk sharing works well :)

Thanks for your help (there is now an issue with the scanner with Oleg's firmware, but I'll post it in the next few days in case I'm not able to solve it)

wpte
30-12-2010, 22:05
Hi,

I dared to install oleg's firmware and now the problem is gone. Using the ssh connection to the router, and running "df", I found out that the access to a NTFS partition of the USB disk is very slow. So, as long as I don't access the NTFS partition, the USB disk sharing works well :)

Thanks for your help (there is now an issue with the scanner with Oleg's firmware, but I'll post it in the next few days in case I'm not able to solve it)

sane server installation
http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=160036&postcount=1
you need to set up the ipkg packet manager first tho
In my experience it's not very fast btw:(

if you haven't read this yet, the wengi how-to: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10307 sets up ipkg.:)

jmfv
31-12-2010, 15:21
Hi,

Thanks for pointing out wengi's how-to. It is really helpful, and so is this list
http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=160532&postcount=1

The scanner worked perfectly with Asus 3.0.4.4 firmware, so I was expecting that it would also work with Oleg's firmware... I'll report this in another post. For now, I'm setting the issue with the USB disk as solved.

Solution: install Oleg's firmware (v 1.9.2.7. r2381)

Thank you for your help!