PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : ftp access to WL-HDD

sjdigital
17-05-2005, 13:33
As my previous question will have demonstrated, I really am struggling to understand all the terminology being used here! I've tried to work out exactly how to access my WL-HDD from outside and it seems clear that ftp access will do the trick, but I have to display even more ignorance and ask how actually does one achieve ftp access? I am using a Linksys WRT54G router and I gather that I have to forward port 21 to point at the WL-HDD. My router asks whether such port forwarding should be UDP, TCP or both. What should I tell it?

And once I have done that, what do I need to do to get access via the internet. If I enter my IP address into Explorer or Firefox it brings me straight into the login page of my VoIP adapter which is in the DMZ of my router. So obviously I am missing something. But what?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Antiloop
17-05-2005, 13:47
Please see attached, screenshotted a working configuration

router = WL500g Deluxe
behind the router: WL-HDD

ftp works fine from outside

I don't have any experience with the Linksys WRT54g, so can't you help any further than this

sjdigital
17-05-2005, 14:22
Thanks Antiloop, that's a help in that it confirms what I thought I needed to do with my Linksys. But I'm still at a loss to understand what I need to do from outside to get to it. What do I need to do to get ftp access? (This is so embarrassing :o )

Antiloop
17-05-2005, 14:30
Thanks Antiloop, that's a help in that it confirms what I thought I needed to do with my Linksys. But I'm still at a loss to understand what I need to do from outside to get to it. What do I need to do to get ftp access? (This is so embarrassing :o )
well you can not test it yourself as your are an internal address, so use another internet line if you have one available or ask some friends to test

and to get FTP access you need an ftp client :)

sjdigital
17-05-2005, 14:35
And an example of an ftp client would be....? (I think I'm nearly getting this!)

sjdigital
17-05-2005, 14:45
Antiloop,

A bit more research reveals that I can apparently use Win IE as an ftp client so I'll try that this evening.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Antiloop
17-05-2005, 14:51
Antiloop,

A bit more research reveals that I can apparently use Win IE as an ftp client so I'll try that this evening.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
that is possible

you could try flashfxp: www.flashfxp.com (trial)

sjdigital
17-05-2005, 15:40
Thanks, I'll check these options out this evening.

sjdigital
17-05-2005, 22:23
OK, some progress, but not there yet!

Digging around the forum I found a thread that suggested the following would work.

Network Neighbourhood Mode: Share all partitions in disk
FTP Mode: Log in to first matched share node

I only have a single partitition so the shared nodes list has just that one partition listed in it with share and write disabled.

I have added one user with name and password.

I then edited the shared node and added the new user with write and share permission.

Applied and clicked on 'Finish'

I then tried to access using FlashFXP via a different internet connection and got the following result:

[R] Connecting to 82.210.xxx.xx -> IP=82.210.xxx.xx PORT=21
[R] Connected to 82.210.xxx.xx
[R] 220 Welcome to FTP server.
[R] USER xxxxx
[R] 331 Password required for user xxxxx.
[R] PASS (hidden)
[R] 532 Login incorrect.
[R] Connection failed

So this would seem to suggest that my forwarding of port 21, etc. has worked OK, but clearly the login and password aren't working. I've used the user name and password that are in the user list but to no avail. I've also tried the default admin/admin as well as admin and my passsword for accessing the configuration menu. None of them works.

What am I missing?

sjdigital
18-05-2005, 08:06
It works!

I tried it again this morning using the internet connection in my office (the WL-HDD is at my home) and it works. Can't figure out why it wouldn't work from home last night when using my GSM phone to try and connect from my notebook, but no matter, it works now using FlashFXP and using MS Internet Explorer.

Thanks for the help, Antiloop.