PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Skype, M34, Wl500g...

barsju
04-05-2005, 08:27
So has anyone started looking at the posibility of running skype on the router and connecting something like the M34 usb DECT adapter to make calls with a wireless DECT phone.. You can all see the benefits. Think it can be done? For me the skill level is way to low, and my wallet to thin. How about the rest of you?

S.

macsat
04-05-2005, 08:54
Hi

Since Skype is not open source, you will need to convince the guys at Skype, to compile it for the mipsel architecture....

barsju
04-05-2005, 09:47
Good point. But then, they have released a version for Linux, so perhaps making them release a binary for mipsel could actually be done.. :) Well it don't stop us from dreaming anyway.. :rolleyes:

macsat
04-05-2005, 09:57
Even there has been a lot of demand, as far as I know they still havent done a PPC version for all the linux on Mac users out there :-(

barsju
04-05-2005, 10:03
:confused:

Skype screenshots for Windows | Mac OS X | Linux | Pocket PC

Download Skype for Linux
RPM for SuSE 9 and newer (5.7 MB)
Version: 1.1.0.3. Release date: April 22, 2005
RPM for Mandrake 10.1 and newer (5.9 MB)
RPM for Fedora Core 3 (5.8 MB)
Debian package (5.6 MB)
Xandros, MEPIS, Ubuntu, other Debian-based distros
Dynamic binary tar.bz2 (5.5 MB)
Requires Qt 3.2
Static binary tar.bz2 with Qt 3.2 compiled in (8.4 MB)
Use if the above don’t work.

So if you're running debian there is hope?

S.

macsat
04-05-2005, 11:07
No matter which distro you run, you will need a version compiled for the mipsel architecture for it to run on your ASUS WL-500g device.

Fedora is available for PPC (mac) but the skype version is NOT running on that box...(only if you run MacOSX, not when running linux on it!).

The important thing is not the distro, it is the architecture that the software is compiled for.

barsju
04-05-2005, 11:32
I see.. Well back to dreaming then I guess.. :rolleyes:

But one last question. Is it generally dificult to do, compiling for mipsel.. I haven't gotten around to any compiling on my own, but what I gather from post around here on the forum, you need the tool-chain, edit the make-file and fiddle with some comands..

From the Linux faq i found this:

What hardware platforms is Skype for Linux available on? Currently, only i386-32. If you have a platform that you'd like to use Skype for Linux on but can't now, come say it in the forum!

I understand that this should be taken with a pinch of salt, and as you mentioned they haven't listened to your cries fro PPC yet.. But hey I'm just dreaming here. I guess what we have to do is get one of the skype developers hooked on the wl500g like the rest of us here..

And I asume that skype would be interested in the ability to run skype without needing to switch on you PC. It would be even one more step closer to VoIP and POTS.

Anyways..
S.

KillerOPS
04-05-2005, 11:36
Well, considering I have a dualphone (www.dualphone.net), a wl500g and a computer running 24h a day for that, that thing would be more than welcome :)

macsat
04-05-2005, 11:43
That phone seems like a nice gadget. I would however perfer if it was Skype + Sip Phone that it could do. I dont care about normal PSTN :-)

5over12
05-05-2005, 19:44
I think I have to wait until the real IP phones are sold in the shops... I am working now with a very cheap model USB VOIP of tiptel (tiptel 115). I hoped there would be a firmware version availeble to run this thingy right throgh the usb of the router... :(
Well... the future will learn us if usb will be the standard for voip phones or that TCP/IP will take it over... (I hope the last one)
For the rest I will follow this thread closely... :D

pepax
03-06-2005, 14:26
Hi all,

I wonder if it would be possible to connect the K-1000 (not only) Skype USB phone (http://www.welltech.com.tw/product_e_06.htm) (SIP & H.323 compatible) to WL-500g(x). If I understand it correctly, it should already supported in Linux by usb-audio (and/or snd-usb-audio?). However, from browsing the Windows driver archives, it seems to me that the phone's keyboard is supported on a per-application basis in a way which doesn't look very standard.
Yes, it would be great to be able to turn off all my computers and still be able to make phone calls over the Internet. ;-)

MAV
19-06-2005, 18:33
I think I have to wait until the real IP phones are sold in the shops... I am working now with a very cheap model USB VOIP of tiptel (tiptel 115). I hoped there would be a firmware version availeble to run this thingy right throgh the usb of the router... :(
Well... the future will learn us if usb will be the standard for voip phones or that TCP/IP will take it over... (I hope the last one)
For the rest I will follow this thread closely... :D

did you connect usb phone to wl-500
and start using SIP ( or H.323) ?