PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Configuration Problem with adding WL-138g



Lulu
01-05-2005, 20:37
Hello,

I hope this post is in the good place
My previous configuration was as following:
- Router WL-500g (firmware 1.8.1.9)
- Desktop Win XP Home SP2 linked to Router through ethernet.
- Laptop linked to router with WL-107g
- DHCP server enabled. WEP encryption and MAC filtering
All was OK

I got a new desktop for children.
- Win XP Home SP2
- PCI-WL-138g.
Impossible to connect.
From some forums, i understand that it is necessary to disable DHCP server on the router and to declare fixed IP what I did.
Apparently all was OK and I succeed to connect on the 3 PC.

But 2 big problems:
- first, quality of connection with WL-138g is very poor. WL-107g close to the WL-138g indicates 36 or 48 Mb/s while WL-138g indicates 5.5 or 11 Mbs.
- second, now after rebooting my laptop, i cannot connect to the internet. apparently the wireless status shows a link established but ie is in error (may be DNS translation problem).

Do you have some ideas?
Is it possible to improve the quality of the signal by changing antennas?

Thanks in advance
Lulu

brubber
02-05-2005, 01:28
Try IPconfig/all in from a dos prompt to check the desktop / laptop IP config.

AFAIK there is no need to disable DHCP with WL-138g

I also have a WL-138g and I was able to get a good connection, this took some effort however.

-First try different channels (6 - 11) to find out which one gives the best signal
-Then try pointing your Wl-138g and router antennas in different directions (for me pointing them straight to each other worked out the best)
-Try different output power levels on your router

Good luck

Lulu
02-05-2005, 18:25
Thanks, Brubber.

I tested as you propose and it is Ok now. I put the radio power at the max (84).

The only remaining problems is the quality of connections. I got only 5,5 Mbps. I will play with antennas and channels

Maybe the position of the router is wrong as it is located close to a TV and a cordless phone.
In fact those machines are connected to my ADSL 3-play box.

Regards
Lulu

tonia
12-05-2005, 21:19
Did have exactly same problem with wl-138g. Changed from ch6 to ch11 and then no problem at all.

Have default radio power (not possible to change on fw 1.8.1.7-2a)

Lulu
14-05-2005, 17:01
I put radio power at the maximum: 84 (instead of 19 as recommanded). I don't know the role of this parameter.
I set the channel at 9 (because 11 was already used by another spot in my area).
All seems OK except the variation of connection speed.
Lulu

brubber
14-05-2005, 23:40
I put radio power at the maximum: 84 (instead of 19 as recommanded). I don't know the role of this parameter.
I set the channel at 9 (because 11 was already used by another spot in my area).
All seems OK except the variation of connection speed.
LuluMax is not alway best. For me approximately 70 mW is optimal. I have tested with 5 mW increments starting at 19 mW looking for optimal signal to noise ratio / best connection speed as indicated by the Asus tool combined with best real life performance (by measuring the transfer speed of of a bunch of files in both directions). In my situation performance significantly decreased below 65 and above 75 mW.

Some variation in connection speed is normal under suboptimal conditions, don't worry to much about that.