PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : router connected - no internet connection

tomf
25-04-2005, 19:03
Hi all!

I just got my new Asus WL500-G router - and guess what, it doesn't work.

My ISP only needs my MAC-Address (cable modem), so I entered the MAC-Address of my laptop and it seems that the router is connected - it gets a correct IP, gateway and DNS. It also updates the internal clock ("Apr 25 18:13:42 ntp client: time is synchronized to time.nist.gov")

But the problem is that I can't connect to the internet. I tried dhcp and static ips. I tried it via ethernet (lan) and wlan - it doesn't work.

I allready updated my firmware to 1927. I disabled my pc firewall and the router firewall without success.

For me it seems that the internet connection works (because it connects to time.nist.gov) but it doesn't share the connection. So do I have to route/forwared anything?

I can ping my routers ip and the ip of my ISP (also the gateway), but I can't ping any website.

I also tried reseting my router, rebooting...all without success.

Anybody any ideas? Please...before I throw it out my window..

brubber
26-04-2005, 00:03
In a situation where you can ping your router try:
http://216.239.59.104/ (this should get you to google)

If this works it's probably a missing or erroneous DNS setting somewhere in your config

tomf
26-04-2005, 06:44
thanks soo much, it was a dns error.

without a router I didn't specify a dns server in my computers tcp/ip config settings and it worked fine. now I entered the dns server and it works - but shouldn't the router do this for me? via dhcp the dns server was 192.168.1.1 and the router has the right dns server (195.34.133.13).

Antiloop
26-04-2005, 08:20
thanks soo much, it was a dns error.

without a router I didn't specify a dns server in my computers tcp/ip config settings and it worked fine. now I entered the dns server and it works - but shouldn't the router do this for me? via dhcp the dns server was 192.168.1.1 and the router has the right dns server (195.34.133.13).
yes it 'should' work, I'm using it the same way

you can try to specify it manually to see if it helps, use 194.109.6.66 for example.

tomf
26-04-2005, 18:35
thank you. I entered my dns address in the routers dhcp config and now it works.