PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : 500gx causes system to crash

oswald
24-04-2005, 16:34
Well, this might sound strange, but somehow my 500gx seems to reset my notebooks remotely....
Okay, here is the story... I bought one 500gx and two 100gx, equipped my two notebooks with those cards, installed the drivers and voila, everything worked fine.
But from time to time, both notebooks crashed and rebooted without any reason and time timely irregular. I first thought the drivers for the cards would cause those problems... but after finally removing them again and uninstalling the drivers, the systems still crashed. Somehow this was the time when I got the feeling that the router might somehow interfere with the notebooks.... So I reduced the radio output power from the default 19 to 9... when rebooting the router, both Notebooks crashed at the same time.
So, this really seems to prove that the router is causing this... guess the router sends some sort of high peak signal from time to time or when rebooting, what sometimes interferes with the internal structures of some machine.... in my case with both of my laptops. Can someone of you guys maybe look into it..... there must be a fix or workaround for it!?
Any help would be appreciated! :)
(See also my post in the 100g-forum.... as I first thought it's their fault)

Just did some more testing..... attaching usb devices to the router, also causes my machine to rebbot. For example, I attached a webcam to the router.... Both Notebooks crashed in the same moment the cam got connected and activated.
Maybe there is something that can be adjusted in the firmware to avoid this?

int
24-04-2005, 20:57
Well, this might sound strange, but somehow my 500gx seems to reset my notebooks remotely....

This is impossible the WL be direct related with this crash (my be your card drivers)... you can see what are the reason of the crash if you desactivate the automatic reboot when a error happen in Windows XP..

The easiest way to make this change is to right-click "My Computer" on the desktop, and choose "Properties" to bring up the System Properties box. On the "Startup/Shutdown" tab, there is a checkbox for "Automatically Reboot" near the bottom. Uncheck this box and click "OK" to make the change.

oswald
25-04-2005, 07:48
This is impossible the WL be direct related with this crash (my be your card drivers)...

Well, as I already described, I thought that this is driver related, too. But I already removed the pcmcia cards and uninstalled the drivers.... So the cards or Drivers cant cause the problems anymore.
I even detached powersources from the Notebooks to exclude any voltage problems and just used accus.
Then I conected a webcam.... the same moment the cam got recognized by the router, both machine went down simultanously.
I then reduced the routers radio power to 1... on rebooting the router, both machine went down again.
After reducing the radio power, resets came less frequent..... but the only way to completely stop my Notebooks from crashing regularly was to remove the routers antenna.
I have 3 more computers near the router... they all stay unaffected by this. Only my Notebooks are affected.... both HP Pavillion machines with different internal structures... p4 and AMD.
Anyway, I'm going to reproduce the errors again, with automatic reboot off.... and will post a screenshot of the bluescreen here...

barsju
25-04-2005, 08:22
So you're saying that your notebooks are not connected to anyting. No power, no WLAN, no LAN. Their just sitting there, doing nothing. And when router reboots they both go bluescreen? That truely is the strangest thing I've heard.

S.

Antiloop
25-04-2005, 08:27
I have 3 more computers near the router... they all stay unaffected by this. Only my Notebooks are affected.... both HP Pavillion machines with different internal structures... p4 and AMD.

Have you removed the router from nearby the computers ?, this is also stated in the manual

and if you think it is wireless related, why not turning off wireless at the router?

oswald
25-04-2005, 08:48
Have you removed the router from nearby the computers ?, this is also stated in the manual

and if you think it is wireless related, why not turning off wireless at the router?

My notbooks are about 4 and 7 meters away from the router... with a wall in between. I did not turn off radio as I wanted to see what signal strength is nessecary to reset my machine. So, even radio power set to 1 is enough to reset my machines.... but with the antenna removed, everything works fine. Signal peak is so weak then that it obviously can not do any harm anymore... while still being able to connect sometimes to the router wirelessly. (cards were removed again after testing this...)
And switching off radio at all does not make sense as I bought all the gear especially for using the wireless funktion.
The resets only occour when the router is performing special operations.. like rebooting or recognizing usb devices... but sometimes also during normal operation. This is really getting anoying... payed 200 bucks for all the stuff that now only can perform basic routing and switching funktions.
If it would just be possible to get rid of such high peaks...
Maybe someone of you tech guys has the equipment to scan radiofrequencies for such peaks?

oswald
25-04-2005, 08:50
So you're saying that your notebooks are not connected to anyting. No power, no WLAN, no LAN. Their just sitting there, doing nothing. And when router reboots they both go bluescreen? That truely is the strangest thing I've heard.

S.

Yes, that's exactly what happens....

Antiloop
25-04-2005, 10:43
My notbooks are about 4 and 7 meters away from the router... with a wall in between. I did not turn off radio as I wanted to see what signal strength is nessecary to reset my machine. So, even radio power set to 1 is enough to reset my machines.... but with the antenna removed, everything works fine. Signal peak is so weak then that it obviously can not do any harm anymore... while still being able to connect sometimes to the router wirelessly. (cards were removed again after testing this...)
And switching off radio at all does not make sense as I bought all the gear especially for using the wireless funktion.
The resets only occour when the router is performing special operations.. like rebooting or recognizing usb devices... but sometimes also during normal operation. This is really getting anoying... payed 200 bucks for all the stuff that now only can perform basic routing and switching funktions.
If it would just be possible to get rid of such high peaks...
Maybe someone of you tech guys has the equipment to scan radiofrequencies for such peaks?

if you want to troubleshoot turn wireless off and look at the things happening then or not, if you don't want to troubleshoot fine.

oswald
25-04-2005, 14:12
if you want to troubleshoot turn wireless off and look at the things happening then or not, if you don't want to troubleshoot fine.
Okay, turned radio off.... all machines are running stable now, for more than 3 hours already... what's 2.5 hours more than with radio on.
I'm going to install 1.9.3.6 and will turn on radio again... and let's see what's happening next!

Antiloop
25-04-2005, 14:16
Okay, turned radio off.... all machines are running stable now, for more than 3 hours already... what's 2.5 hours more than with radio on.
I'm going to install 1.9.3.6 and will turn on radio again... and let's see what's happening next!
ok, do you have access to more wireless AP's or the same ones ? you should try if it happends with other wireless stuff as well

oswald
25-04-2005, 16:17
ok, do you have access to more wireless AP's or the same ones ? you should try if it happends with other wireless stuff as well

No, I do not have access to other wireless stuff.
Anyway, I upgraded to 1.9.3.6 and turned radio on again. Things are running stable for about an hour now.... will post again when systems fail again or when everything stays calm for more than a day....

oswald
25-04-2005, 17:04
Okay, upgrading did not help... even though it reduced the number of crashes.
I just confirmed chages I did to the virtual DMZ settings..... and voila, notebooks resetted.
Here is the bluscreen.... does not help much. Next time I'll post the crash-logfile... maybe that helps more then!?

Oleg
25-04-2005, 17:09
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887742

do you've firewall installed on your pc?

oswald
25-04-2005, 17:39
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887742

do you've firewall installed on your pc?

No, no firewall installed... the microsoft firewall is fully disabled.

Would make sense if this would happen all the time... but it only happens when my router is active.

Oleg
25-04-2005, 17:46
This is not a router problem, this is a problem of your PC. The router could just trigger the bug on your PC.
So visit Windows Update site and update everything. If you've antivirus software uninstall it, etc.

Styno
26-04-2005, 07:24
- stand-alone laptops (no external power, no WLAN, no LAN)
- spontaneous reboots when a radio is turned on

Looks to me, the signal from the router causes EMC problems in the notebooks. With EMC I mean: The radio signal causes freak currents in circuits in the notebooks which cause unwanted behaviour in the chips which triggers the blue-screens. This is a shielding problem which HP did not properly address. You should return the notebooks (which are probably budget models) and request proper replacement.

Antiloop
26-04-2005, 08:15

Looks to me, the signal from the router causes EMC problems in the notebooks. With EMC I mean: The radio signal causes freak currents in circuits in the notebooks which cause unwanted behaviour in the chips which triggers the blue-screens. This is a shielding problem which HP did not properly address. You should return the notebooks (which are probably budget models) and request proper replacement.
I agree,

I have been using the WL-500gx without any problem which looks like yours for months at a various distance from 5 to 30 centimeters away from my Notebook (and in this case yes I do have an Asus Notebook, and nearby (within 2 meters) was another old asus notebook)

Oleg
26-04-2005, 09:56

This would not cause blue screen indicated above. It's very specific and means software problems.

Styno
26-04-2005, 10:50
This would not cause blue screen indicated above. It's very specific and means software problems.Yes, I've read the MSDN article, but the software problem could be caused by underlying hardware problems.

My main reason to say this is because the topic starter stated he ran the laptops without LAN, WLAN and external power supply. Therefore there shouldn't be any software connection between the WL-500gx and the laptop which only leaves the hardware IMO.

Oleg
26-04-2005, 12:48
Styno, this is most likely caused by UPnP communications, that is why wl500g could make differences. Anyway, this is software problem.