PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : How to connect WL-500gx (as AP) and WL-500g (as its client)

strasa
21-04-2005, 22:01
I have read about one month through several forums and i cant still solve my problem. I bought two routers - WL-500gx (where in WAN is incoming internet connection) and WL-500g (that I am trying to connect as a client).

I made basic setting on WL-500gx, that works fine, all i can use internet connection on LAN ports and my laptop with wifi card can connect through the 500gx to internet. All computers in this LAN have 192.168.1.x IP.

Then i want to connect WL-500g in client mode (to a place where i cant get cables). I downloaded firmware 1.9.2.7-4, flashed the router.

I set up in web interface, that LAN on this router will be 192.168.10.2-254, router will have IP 192.168.10.1

and than i tried commands suggested on forums like this:

# brctl delif br0 eth2 - no response, seems fine
# wl ap 0 - switch to client mode, without problem
# wl scan
# wl scanresults - yes, i can see WLAN from WL-500gx
# wl join 'hrnecek' - sucessfull, Im connected
# udhcpc -i eth2 - router 500g gets IP from 500gx - sucessfull - IP of the router is 192.168.1.3
# iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth2 -j MASQUERADE - without response (hopefully sucessfull)

ping www.google.com - uknown host
ping 192.168.1.1 - network unreachable
etc etc....

routers are connected (i think that WLAN must be working between them, if i get IP through wifi from DHCP server), but internet is not going through (but for wifi client like laptop is the 500gx working).

ip really depressed, can anyone help me? any ideas?

barsju
21-04-2005, 22:39
This might not be helpfull at all, but why not use WDS? Isn't that what its there for?

S.

gwl
22-04-2005, 00:48
try to add this:

echo "nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" > /tmp/resolv.conf
route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx eth2
iptables -t nat -P POSTROUTING DROP
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth2 -j MASQUERADE;
killall dnsmasq;
dnsmasq;

let me know if it works...

Antiloop
22-04-2005, 09:04
forget those command line things, when using firmware 1.9.2.7 use the webinterface to connect as CLIENT

strasa
24-04-2005, 17:12
i tried it as a first option, but previously it did not work, so I tried to get it work through command line.

for others, with the same problem, see the solution, that works for me:

0. reset setting of your router System Setup -> Factory Default -> Restore
1. in router, that will be as a client, flash the firmware (I have 1.9.2.7-4 and it works)
2. set LAN parameters (optional step, but needed in my case) - IPconfig -> WAN & LAN -> LAN IP Setting - IP Address: 192.168.10.1 / press apply
screen with request to change DHCP will appear
3. set DHCP (according to LAN parameters (see step 2))
IP Pool Starting Address: 192.168.10.2
IP Pool Ending Address: 192.168.10.254
4. go to Wireless -> Interface - SSID: / write name of your network
5. go to wireless -> advanced - In Extended Mode: select Station and press Finish
6. save and restart

all that i have done and it finally works :D

Antiloop
25-04-2005, 08:33
nice that it works!

anyway setting LAN stuff is needed, because 'client' and AP may not sit in the same network but that is just network basics

strasa
25-04-2005, 19:53
anyway setting LAN stuff is needed, because 'client' and AP may not sit in the same network but that is just network basics

sure, but i think, that most of people will use client mode to connect to the internet (with IP gained from provider) and than they can let default setting on 192.168.1.x for LAN (but it is not my case)..

thanks again for help!

Antiloop
25-04-2005, 23:41
sure, but i think, that most of people will use client mode to connect to the internet (with IP gained from provider) and than they can let default setting on 192.168.1.x for LAN (but it is not my case)..

thanks again for help!
yes you are right

it's just that I have never seen such shit here in holland myself, and afaik very few people are using it here

i'm running same config as you are anyways and ran into same problem although both were in the same network and internet access was working fine..