Bekijk de volledige versie : Router will not start

siaco
17-04-2005, 22:59
Hi,

I have an Asus WL-500g which suddenly died. I noticed, after I lost Internet connection, that the power- and air-led was turn off. I tried to restart it after I had taken the power for a while. The power-led went on again, but the air-led was still off (The LAN connections lights up as it's supposed to).

I have pressed and hold the reset button while connection the power to get the unit into Recovery mode (as I have understand it). That did work, I ran the Asus Firmware Restoration while the power-led was blinking.
With the firmware restoration program I installed "wl500g-clear-nvram.trx", "wl500g-recover.trx" and finally custum firmware; "WL500g-1.9.2.7-4.trx".
(I restarted the router and entered recovery mode again between every installation).

After some time after I installed WL500g-1.9.2.7-4.trx, the air-led started light up again without taking the power, and I could log in to the web-pages. I started configure the wireless settings, but after two config-pages or so, after pressing "Apply" the went down AGAIN!

Now, I cant even get it into Recovery mode. The power-led is constantly on if I try to hold the button down while inserting the powercable..

So, this is where I am now. Kinda frustrated when I first thought that I had fixed it, only to realize that thing could get even worse.

How should I proceed now? - Did I do anything wrong?
I really cant understand why it went down agan right after everything seemed ok.

siaco
18-04-2005, 09:16
Oki, so I had the router off for the night, because I read someplace on this forum that it could help. Well, it did, and it didn't.

When I inserted the power cable all the LAN lights blinked once, the power blinked a shorter blink than the LAN lights, and then went dead and nothing more happened. The good news is that I'm now able to get it into recovery mode again. Another bad news is that I can't upload any firmware. Well, I start the Asus Firmware Restoration, chooeses an firmware file (for instance WL500g-1.9.2.7-4.trx). The program finds the router and stars upload a bit of the firmware, but then failes and tells me to check the connection.

I get a ping reply from 192.168.1.1 (When the router is in recovery mode and it's the only thing connected to my network), but I cant do this:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put WL500g-1.9.2.7-4.trx. I only get a Timeout occurred if I try to do that.

Antiloop
18-04-2005, 10:16
did you assing a static IP to your network card ?
if not than this can be the problem (I have had this sometime when doing firmware restore) I tries to renew while you are restoring and then restore fails

siaco
18-04-2005, 10:24
did you assing a static IP to your network card ?
if not than this can be the problem (I have had this sometime when doing firmware restore) I tries to renew while you are restoring and then restore fails

Thanks for answering! :)

Yes, I did: 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.10 (not that I tought that would make any difference, but it feels like I have tried everthing by now hehe).

Oleg
18-04-2005, 18:08
It looks like something is really bad - probably RAM problems. But this could be internal power supply problems.
Does it still covered by warranty?

siaco
18-04-2005, 18:29
It looks like something is really bad - probably RAM problems. But this could be internal power supply problems.
Does it still covered by warranty?

Yes, I bought it in the end of February.
I have installed your custom firmware. Is it smart to try to clear the nwram before I send it in, or dosn't that matter? ..Guess they don't try to check that out, or?

Oleg
18-04-2005, 18:39
Yes, I bought it in the end of February.
I have installed your custom firmware. Is it smart to try to clear the nwram before I send it in, or dosn't that matter? ..Guess they don't try to check that out, or?
It does not matter.

siaco
18-04-2005, 18:47
Oki. Thanks. Guess I'll send it in then :(