PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : [BM management] Fixed IP?

psychonetics
15-04-2005, 11:08
Hi there,

I'm quite new to this forum and to the Asus WL-500G router.
I recently updated the firmware to the official version 1.9.2.7. In this firmware there is an option to set bandwidth quota on users.

I'd like to use this option, but I would like to know how the router solves the problem of assigning automatich IP adresses (DHCP). As I set the bandwidth maximum of person A with IP address 192.168.1.2 to 25 KBPS maximum, and person A restarts his computer and the router assigns to his computer the IP address 192.168.1.4, will the bandwidth maximum still be valid for his computer or does it remain limiting the IP 192.168.1.2?

And if it limits the IP and not the computer, is there a way of solving this problem? Because I haven't seen an option to assign fixed IP addresses to specific computer users in the admin panel of the WL-500g.
I couldn't find it either on this forum nor on the internet. I've only read something about QoS and Wondershaper that are necessary in order to let the bandwidth management function properly, but I don't know what QoS really means and I'd rather not mess up the router.

Hope some of you could answer my questions!

And finally, I regret if you had difficulties reading my English. It is not my main language :)

barsju
15-04-2005, 11:43
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=2111

Styno
15-04-2005, 11:47
Because I haven't seen an option to assign fixed IP addresses to specific computer users in the admin panel of the WL-500g.

You can assign the same IP address to the same PC by assigning the MAC address of the network card of the PC to the specific IP address. See your manual on howto do that.

psychonetics
15-04-2005, 13:38
Allright, everything seems to work fine now. I tested the download maximum on myself and had a hard time logging into the router and speed tests indicate that the settings work :)

Since I've manually assigned the IP-adresses, is it safe now to leave DHCP on, or should I disable it in order to avoid conflicts or something?

Thank you for your help!!

barsju
15-04-2005, 18:05
You still need the dhcp server, it's still the one that assigns addresses. It makes sure there are no confilcts.

S.

psychonetics
15-04-2005, 18:17
You still need the dhcp server, it's still the one that assigns addresses. It makes sure there are no confilcts.

S.

Thank you for that! :)

* Hmmz...in that case, I wonder why they built in an option to turn-off the DHCP server :confused: *

barsju
15-04-2005, 22:22
* Hmmz...in that case, I wonder why they built in an option to turn-off the DHCP server :confused: *

That is incase you have another router in your network which is the DHCP server :)

You can of course turn off the DHCP server and set the IP manually on each client in the network as well.

S.