PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Can't get anything to work ! I beg you help me

alexikiki
13-04-2005, 23:52
Hello all,

First of all this is my first post, and I am a complete newbie to wifi. I feel that this forum is for rather skilled people so I apologize in advance but I would REALLY appreciate any help because I am in complete desperation.

Here's what it is : I bought the wl-500g router the other day. since then i've not been able to get anything to work (in terms of internet, wifi or not)

my config is : thomson cable modem (from french ISP Noos), two pc's running xp sp2 and one acer laptop.

i have upgraded the firmware version of the router following a tutorial from this site.

I do get to the web settings page (so I think nothing is wrong with the hardware and cables) There in quick setup I set :
cable connection,
in isp information i don't know what to set so I don't write anything,
then IP and DNS automatically determined,
and wifi : default and zero protection (for now)

and then...

nothing works !
i can't access the web, even with inly one computer connected to the router.

So if you can help me please do because I am feeling very depressed.
Thanks!

Antiloop
14-04-2005, 08:41
Mostly you have to clone the MAC address from your PC into the Router, please try to read the manual for exact steps

please also check at your status page, if you receive an IP from the outside world at your router.

alexikiki
14-04-2005, 22:09
Thank you very much for answering, Antiloop, but I don't understand what you're talking about. Could you be more specific please?
I have read the whole manual several times and can't figure what you mean.
And about the status page I don't think My modem receives an IPfrom the outside world, although I'm not sure where to look exactly.

gwl
15-04-2005, 01:56
Thank you very much for answering, Antiloop, but I don't understand what you're talking about. Could you be more specific please?
I have read the whole manual several times and can't figure what you mean.
And about the status page I don't think My modem receives an IPfrom the outside world, although I'm not sure where to look exactly.

Your problem might be very simple, but there are thousands of reasons of why it doesn't work... It's almost impossible to guess it...
Maybe it would be better to ask a frient who is "skilled" in the area...
or at last resort, at the shop where you bought the router, or from your internet provider...

ps: if you follow the manual step by step, it will work! (read the original english manual! not the translation...)

brubber
15-04-2005, 04:18
First some simple questions:

What firmware version did you install on your router?

Can you connect to the internet when you attach a workstation directly to the Thomson modem?

Is your router receiving an IP from your modem? (Go to Web Interface, select Status and log; Status). If you don't understand the information in this screen just post it here, there are many people in this forum that can explain it to you.

Is your workstation receiving an IP from your router? (On your workstation open a command window (DOS window, "Start", "Run" then type cmd), and in the command window type IPconfig /all. If you don't understand the output please post it here

alexikiki
16-04-2005, 19:35
Thank you all for trying to help me, it's really nice.

The problem seems to be that my router doesn't receive an IP from the modem.
Do you think it could come from the infomation "possibly required from ISP" mac address, host name and heart beat server (that I don't know) ? I have a cable modem so do those of you guys who have cable know about this ?

I e-mailed my ISP asking for mac addres, host name and heart beat server but those bastards wouldn't want to give me them. So before I change ISP, I want to make sure that that's where he problem comes from.

Thanks again folks, however I still have no internet (other than connecting directly the pc to the modem). Any help still greatly appeciated!

gwl
16-04-2005, 22:55
are you connecting your cable modem to the WAN port of the asus?!?!

basshedz2
22-04-2005, 09:46
Hi,

I'm having the same problem as alexikiki.

I followed all the steps in the Quick Start Guide - plugging the cable modem (i'm with UK provider telewest btw) into the WAN socket on the router, and plugging my computer into one of the LAN ports.

I then logged in to the router and followed the Quick Setup link, setting the connection type to cable. The screen didn't provide me with an option to put in a user name and password (for the ISP), and i dont think my ISP asks for a MAC address - I never give it one when i connect through the modem (i don't know what Host Name refers to, so I didn't put anything for that).

When the WAN IP setting page comes up, the 'get IP automatically?' box seems to be greyed out (although it still looks like the 'yes' box is checked) and i leave the 'get DNS Server automatically?' as 'yes'.

When i initially go to the http://my.router page, the internet connection status says:

Type: Automatic IP
Reason: lost IP from server

and i cant connect to the internet. My connection is fine without the router, and i can even log into the router wirelessly.

Please help, this is driving me mad!

Thanks,

basshedz

Antiloop
22-04-2005, 10:28
@basshedz2

if your provider uses DHCP to assign you a address please fill in your MAC address from your PC

basshedz2
22-04-2005, 10:36
From the blueyonder page:

"Good news! We've upgraded your service and as a result you no longer need to register your PC NIC Mac address. Just plug your equipment into your modem and reboot everything!"

Should i still fill in the MAC address? And should that be the MAC address from my Ethernet card, or the wireless card?

Thanks for helping me!

basshedz

basshedz2
22-04-2005, 18:56
Right, i've got everything working now. Thanks for all your help. I just needed to release the IP address from my computer and reboot the modem and router, and it worked.

Cheers,

basshedz

alexikiki
07-05-2005, 21:19
Alright, I found out (finally !)

I needed to power the devices in the following order :
first router
then pc
then modem

weird, but it's working fine for now. I haven't turned down the modem or router yet, but after a reboot it works.

Hope this helps someone after me. Thanks again to the people who tried to help. Bye

alexikiki
08-05-2005, 04:24
damn it i've got another problem and it seems quite serious.

i wanted to use a usb cam so I tried to change the port from 7777 to 7776.

since then the router not only does not work, but I can't even put it in restore mode : the power led just won't start flashing when i press the buton restore and plug the power cable in.

so I ask for help once again...