PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Router power-cycles automatically

ghint
08-04-2005, 14:38
Hi all.

I've been running my WL500g for over an year now and never ever had a single problem with it.

But, since yesterday, it keeps disconnecting. Let me explain this in detail.
I've been running the latest official firmware BEFORE this started happening. It's version 1927 (wg01090207_WL500g_EN.trx).

Here's the detailed process
1 - All cables disconnected, power included.
2 - Power on. Power led lights up and so does AIR
3 - Connect 2 LAN cables, leds light up
4 - Connect WAN port do cable modem in DHCP mode, auto-speed (default setting)
5 - Everything works fine for an unpredictable ammount of time
6 - Fails start. AIR goes off, power blinks once every second (like a slow blink)
7 - WAN goes off (modem is working fine and registered)
8 - After about 10 seconds WAN light up again, AIR too (works fine for about 2 minutes then go back to 6)
9 - I try to reset and all leds go off. All lan leds (1 to 4) light up permanenly (no blinks) with only 2 ports have cables attached then power led flashes REAL QUICK (like 10 times every second).

Any ideas what's going on? Thanks for reading.

Oleg
08-04-2005, 15:19
Turn it off for 10 minutes. Then turn on.

ghint
08-04-2005, 15:27
Hi... i've already tried it. In fact it was off for way more than 10 minutes and as soon as i powered it on, it resumed the failing process.

I then managed to reset it to factory during the 2 minutes AIR was on. And then reuploaded the same firmware version (which has worked fine for lots of time). Reboot, all ok. 2 minutes after, fails again.

:(

Oleg
08-04-2005, 15:47
Does your settings are still in effect or it's loosing it?
Also, while it's alive, try disabling radio.
Also try flashing 1.8.1.9.

ghint
08-04-2005, 17:16
I should've mentioned all this but i already downgraded firmware, tried disabling radio and still no go. Settings are kept except after the downgrade...

I host my own mail server and quite a lot of sites. This is too unreliable. I'm gonna get a linksys or airport base station and fix this one later.

pigbabi
09-04-2005, 15:04
I should've mentioned all this but i already downgraded firmware, tried disabling radio and still no go. Settings are kept except after the downgrade...

I host my own mail server and quite a lot of sites. This is too unreliable. I'm gonna get a linksys or airport base station and fix this one later.

I experienced the same problem a few days ago too. After the router auto powercycle itself, I was having trouble in connecting to the net. I was using firmware version 1927 at the time. I tried flashing it again with 1927, it worked for 1 day and failed again. Then I downgraded to 1.8.1.9 then it is working properly for now.

There is actually a beta version 1.9.3.6 on the Asus site if you would like to try it out.

ghint
09-04-2005, 19:14
Problem solved. I'm now using a linksys 54g ap/router. This baby is MUCH smoother than the wl500g. Anyway, now i have a great piece of hardware to play with (wl500g) as soon as i can get it to work again.

tomilius
09-04-2005, 20:05
I think I'll sneak into the masses here...

Now that I'm in a situation in which I have everything up and running just how I want it, my router *edit* has the OPPORTUNITY to *edit* stay on for long periods of time. Usually I would change something every day and reboot it. My router has been unaltered for a few days, enough for me to notice that it has this problem of rebooting itself (I only really noticed that the uptime was 3 hours when it should have been 30 because a side effect of this was that the wireless driver lost its function, though the router showed no signs of this--e.g., AIR was lit up, eth2 was up, the radio was on, etc.; I had to do a "wl down; wl restart; wl up" to get it working again). ... I'm angry--at ASUS.