PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : WL-500g deluxe: MAC address cloning does not work

MMCM
05-04-2005, 08:29
Hi Everybody!

Im trying to setup an ASUS WL-500g deluxe for a friend for use with chello. Chello uses automatic IP with a single registered MAC address.

So I entered the MAC address and a valid hostname in the "Special Requirement from ISP" section of the router.

But the router never gets it's IP.

After several hours of testing without progress, I connected the WAN Port of the WL-500G deluxe to the LAN side of my own Netgear WGT634U, and it instantly had it's IP.

On the "attached devices" page of the WGT634U, i saw that the WL-500g deluxe was still using it's hardware MAC address, not the one I entered previously. Trying different MAC addresses did not help.

I tried the offical 1.8.2.1 firmware and BETA 1.9.3.6, non of them worked.

Does anybody else have this problem, and maybe a solution?

Can it be done without using custom firmware? I'm not sure the owner wants to use custom firmware, he's definitly not the linux type guy ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Oleg
05-04-2005, 09:48
Yes, this is a known bug. Just added it to the list. Hopefully ASUS will fix it.
It's not fixed in the custom firmware yet. Also, just FYI: custom firmwares are based on the ASUS one, so no linux knowledge is required if you do not want use extra functionality.

MMCM
05-04-2005, 10:20
That's bad news :(
Is there no way to accomplish it by patching some files or writing to nvram?
I tried modifying et0macaddr by patching a saved configuration, and reloading it, but that didn't work too...

I like my WGT634U where I can modify most of the configuration files AND save them to flash memory, without custom firmware.

Also, just FYI: custom firmwares are based on the ASUS one, so no linux knowledge is required if you do not want use extra functionality.
The only good news :-)

If I don't find a solution in the next few days, we'd have to return the router to the dealer, and look for a different product. I'd choose the Netgear again, if it didn't miss the USB print server.

But maybe I can extract the required modules from the ASUS GPL source and compile them for the WGT636U... ;)

gbrancovici
05-04-2005, 10:46
I did the following two things:
1. Set (cloned) the "ISP required MAC" to the MAC registered already with the ISP, using Oleg's firmware.
2. Used burnmac.exe (or similar) provided by Oleg with the bootloader upgrading tools and changed that MAC to the MAC registered already with the ISP.

It works!

My feeling is that using Oleg's firmware is necessary and sufficient to connect using the "ISP required MAC" simply from the Webinterface (so burnmac.exe might be unnecessary). Try 1. If this doesn't help, try 2. additionally.

George

Oleg
05-04-2005, 11:04
The only problem is that this way you could not use PC with same address on the LAN side. You could also type these commands in the hidden page:

nvram set et0_macaddr=00:11:22:33:44:55
nvram commit
reboot

This is risk free. But remember, that this address will appear on the LAN side too.

MMCM
05-04-2005, 11:29
This is risk free. But remember, that this address will appear on the LAN side too.

This should not be a problem, I can reconfigure the MAC Address of the PC :-)

BUT: I read the thread about the fixed bootloader and burnmac.exe.
During my tests with the WL-500gx, at some point I noticed that the PC behind the router aquired the IP address from chello the router should have gotten. I really wondered how this could happen.
Maybe it's better to use the new boot loader? How do I check the current version of the boot loader?

In the saved config there's a string "pmon_ver=CFE 1.3.2.0" and "hardware_version=WL500gx-01-01-01-33"

The Serial No is 51IGE....

Oleg
05-04-2005, 12:15
Yes, this is WAN port problem. You need to upgrade bootloader.

MMCM
05-04-2005, 14:46
Ok, now I upgraded the bootloader, set the new MAC address, and loaded Oleg's 1.9.2.7-4 custom firmware.
WGT634U shows the WL-500gx does have the right MAC address now, I hope, everything will work when I connect it to the chello cable modem in the evening.

Thanks very much for helping :)

Martin

tibotaka
05-04-2005, 17:18
The easy way is to change the registered Mac address at Ch***. As a Ch*** customer you can change this address in your web administration myself without any intervention from Ch*** support. And it is free (at least in my country).

tibotaka

Nassir
17-04-2005, 11:38
I have the same problem with my ISP even it's not chello. I have wrote script to post-boot file. something like this:
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig eth0 hw ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX down
sleep 1
ifconfig eth0 hw ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX down
ifconfig eth0 up
udhcpc -i eth0

setting of mac twice was important (for me), because sometimes i encountered error message, that eth0 is still busy and can not be shut down (and mac address set). When I type ifconfig now, I see, than only wan (eth0) has mac set, all other devices have their default values.
Maybe if I can read mac address from web-based settings, I can put it here automaticaly, but as for now, I do not know, where is it written. So I have it hard-coded.