PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : VPN Server

luso67
26-03-2004, 14:38
"VPN endpoint (Server) functionality is one that is missing in WL-500g firmware and i think it is quite usefull not only the one that has already bought a WL-500g device, but also to new buyers.
I wonder when (if ever) ASus will include VPN Server functions in a new wl-500g firmware release."
I've sent this message to asus support team, but i didn't get any reply yet.

Is it too difficult to add VPN server to wl-500g firmware?
I remember that it's available to SL500 and SL1000 firewall/vpn devices by ASUS.

Antiloop
26-03-2004, 14:41
i don't think asus will include it..

they did not just bring up the SL500 and SL1000 on the market, the Security router is designed for use with VPN.
The WL500g is designed as a Home Gateway, most people won't use it at home..

also the price of the SL500/1000 is slightly higher.. (thought around €250/350)

luso67
26-03-2004, 15:08
Linksys has already some wireless router with VPN endpoints, among others. So Asus could do.
I understand that for comercial reasons they might not be interested, but they might also loose some potential buyers among the wireless comunity.
VPN server function could be a strong marketing characteristic, besides it's quite useful for a lot of users.

PS: Do you think it's possible to use the USB1VPN card from Linksys, as a VPN server.And how could it be connected?Could it be connected to WL-500g USB port?

Oleg
26-03-2004, 15:50
Just FYI. Linksys WRV54G are based on the different CPU, than WRT54G. It has larger flash & RAM. And this cpu (from Intel) is significantly faster.
Yes, it's possible add the required functionality to custom firmware, but this requires time & testing. Also, flash is really pretty small, and if want to add something we will probably need to delete something.

Antiloop
26-03-2004, 20:47
Originally posted by luso67
Linksys has already some wireless router with VPN endpoints, among others. So Asus could do.
I understand that for comercial reasons they might not be interested, but they might also loose some potential buyers among the wireless comunity.
VPN server function could be a strong marketing characteristic, besides it's quite useful for a lot of users.

PS: Do you think it's possible to use the USB1VPN card from Linksys, as a VPN server.And how could it be connected?Could it be connected to WL-500g USB port?

maybe you can use some binaries from the SL series

a copy of the SL500 firmware can be found at
http://files.wl500g.info/asus/sl500/firmware/FirmwareUpgrade_SL500_1_1_08_410.zip
and a copy of the SL1000 firmware can be found at
http://files.wl500g.info/asus/sl1000/firmware/FirmwareUpgrade_1_1_08_410.zip

i'm almost 100% sure that it's running linux too.. but did not check if it's broadcom powered yet..

luso67
26-03-2004, 21:36
I know that this seems rather follish, but what kind of tools may i use to edit and compile the firmware.

Cheers

Antiloop
26-03-2004, 22:26
Originally posted by luso67
I know that this seems rather follish, but what kind of tools may i use to edit and compile the firmware.

Cheers
ehr... don't ask :) (i don't know myself.. bad uh..)

i finally finished installing my linux box.. only nforce lan is not supported by default (AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHH!) so i have to download new nforce driver and try to install.. last time i touched my linux box was 3 years ago, so my knowledge is like zero+ at this moment..