PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : 12v Power

DJB31st
16-07-2009, 09:42
I am aware that the WL-500W comes with the following power supply

DC output: 5V with max. 2.5A~3A current

However i intend to connect this router via power over Ethernet.

I have been successfully doing this with WRT-54GL for some time now.

The problem is i would like to continue using the same power supplies that have currently been supplying 2 WRT-54GL via the ethernet cable but supply 1 WRT-54GL and a WL-500W.

I am currently using a 12V 1A current power adapter.

Does anyone have experience with plugging this or any other asus router into a 12V supply?

My gut instinct is that it will work, but its a lot of money if it doesn't!

wpte
16-07-2009, 20:46
uhm... when the required is 5V and you put 12 on it... doesn't sound like that is going to last long:p
I wouldn't recommend doing that, or you must have a very long UTP cable so the voltage becomes lower;)

dreamlayers
17-07-2009, 18:44
If you fed 12V into the 5V input on the router, you would probably instantly destroy some components on the circuit board. Therefore, I recommend not trying that.

You could use a 12V to 5V converter at the router. For example, there are many car chargers which output regulated 5V.

alexutzu00
01-01-2013, 21:47
If you fed 12V into the 5V input on the router, you would probably instantly destroy some components on the circuit board. Therefore, I recommend not trying that.

You could use a 12V to 5V converter at the router. For example, there are many car chargers which output regulated 5V.

I know that the last post is in 2009.
However, maybe somebody is interrested in this. I accidently put the adaptor for my ext hdd into WL500W. 12V instead of 5V.
And yes, it's not working any more. The leds for Lan 1-4 are on, but it's dead.