PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : NAS Trouble

Anonincog
15-07-2009, 09:45
My NAS works just fine (in face perfect) if my computer is hooked up to the router via an ethernet cable. But if I try to connect my computer to the router through WiFi, the NAS doesn't work at all. When I go to my network, the hard drive I attached via usb on the router doesn't show up at all.

Did anyone else have this problem? Were they able to resolve it?

Not being able to use the NAS through WiFi really defeats the purpose of having a wireless router.

wpte
15-07-2009, 15:12
a few checks here:

1. Did you turn on file-sharing on for the WiFi connection on that pc?
2. If you did turn it on, does the NAS respond when you go directly to the ip-adress of the nas. "\\ip-of-nas"
3. What firmware do you use on the router
4. What format do you use on the usb hdd?
5. Did you turn on the samba server on the router?

Anonincog
15-07-2009, 18:55
1. No. All the settings for my WiFi are the same as my LAN.
2. n/a
3. Firmware ver. 2.0.0.6
4. FAT32
5. What's the samba server?

wpte
16-07-2009, 20:21
1. No. All the settings for my WiFi are the same as my LAN.
2. n/a
3. Firmware ver. 2.0.0.6
4. FAT32
5. What's the samba server?

1. Ok, just checking, with vista you have to set them for every network-interface:)
2. does not respond?
4. should be ok
5. Samba is the linux version of windows file-sharing. You can activate it in the routers web interface at: USB Application -> Samba (on olegs firmware, should be the same on the asus one)

I'm not sure what's the problem with the wireless stuff. It should be working automatically when the nas is directly connected to the router in dhcp mode and the router configured in routing mode:confused:

If nothing helps maybe trying to completely reset the router to manufacturers defaults.. Otherwise try olegs firmware, which is quite most the same as the original firmware.:)

Anonincog
24-07-2009, 05:13
I've read in a lot reviews on this router about custom firmware. The far majority had problems with the DD-WRT firmware. A lot of people have been bricking the router by trying to use it. Is there a similar risk with using Oleg?

wpte
24-07-2009, 16:20
I've read in a lot reviews on this router about custom firmware. The far majority had problems with the DD-WRT firmware. A lot of people have been bricking the router by trying to use it. Is there a similar risk with using Oleg?

well... with every flash there is a chance of bricking even with the original asus firmware.
Since Oleg is like... 90% based on the original firmware I reckon the chances are as small as with the original firmware.

you can update the firmware the same way as in the original firmware in the web-admin menu, so it's easy to revert it back:)

EdP
24-07-2009, 20:20
Hang on a second.

Isn't your NAS also a router? Does it have services like dhcp-server, firewall, portforwarding? If so, you need to reconfigure it to be able to work with another router.