PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : DHCP problem?? No network adress

Koppelbaas
27-03-2005, 21:57
I'm allready a week busy trying to set up my 500g router. The router is connected to a wired desktop and a wireless laptop. My laptop sees my SSID. The problem is internet is not working on my laptop. I get a message "trying to get a network adress"

I found a workaround to fill my own IP adress and DNS. Then I have an excellent connection (54 Mbps) but I can still not get an internet page.

Has this sometihing to do with the DNS server? I filled out 192.168.1.1 just as on my wired computer. Has anyone got a clue???

tomilius
27-03-2005, 22:37
MORE PERTINENT INFO:
I didn't read your problem fully... But it sounds familiar now, too. You probably have your encryption set incorrectly for the wireless interface. Note that you SHOULD NOT use ASUS's automatic passphrase generation if you use WEP. It's substandard. Generate your WEP keys using Windows or something else, and either use hex or use Windows' generation. That should help. Also, isolate the problem to this by turning off encryption altogether. Make sure the DHCP server is on, but I'm sure it is. I suggest you use WPA-PSK though, and a long, randomly-generated key of at least 40 characters for the greatest security. Of course, if you use a website for the generation (it's better if it's javascript or it's an SSL connection), do it on a wired computer, though I would recommend downloading a tool.

I don't know if it's poorly-defined 802.11 standards or what, but Windows (this includes my Pocket PC) rarely gives useful reasons for why a wireless connection fails, and hardly if ever states that the key is incorrect. Often it doesn't even know it has failed (hence, it just thinks it's not getting information from the DHCP server with your laptop), but it thinks it is connected if you assign the IP manually. I have the same issue, even with my Pocket PC. Make sure you have everything correct on your own, because Windows won't troubleshoot these problems for you.

All of these questions suggest a lack of simple-to-find information about the WL-500g. Apparently the FAQ isn't working for many newbies, or they're just not looking, but I haven't found this big problem in there anyway (not to say that the FAQ is not a valuable resource--the majority of the fault is with the newbies).

You're not using custom firmware, are you? From my experience, in ASUS firmware the DNS server is broken. That is, using 192.168.1.1 won't work. I haven't used very many ASUS firmwares, though, so maybe it just required simple reconfiguration, but simply upgrade to custom firmware and you shouldn't experience this problem.

Either that or ...

Try manually setting the first DNS server (in the web administration) to one of your ISP's.

How?
1. Navigate to Status & Log -> Status
2. Take note (/copy) of one of the listed DNS Servers
3. Navigate to IP Config -> DHCP Server
4. Set DNS Server 1 to the DNS server you took note of (/paste)
5. Finish
6. Save & Restart

Koppelbaas
28-03-2005, 17:00
Tomilius, I'm using the latest Asus firmware (1.9.2.7). The keys are the same on router and laptop (see settings). My laptop has the latest drivers (intel wireless PRO 2200BG). It can't be the encryptionkeys I assume? :confused:

Without encrytionkeys there is no problem!
My laptop gets automically IP and DNS. With encryptionkeys the laptop still connects but gets no IP and DNS.

My settings on the router Asus WL 500g tab Wireless interface :
SSID: XXXX
Channel: auto
Wireless Mode: auto
(54Gprotection=off
Authentication Method: WPA-PSK
WPA Encryption: TKIP
WPA Pre-Shared Key: XXXXXX
WEP Encryption: none

Settings laptop (intel wireless PRO 2200BG):
SSID: XXXX (same as router)
Authentication Method: WPA-PSK
WPA Encryption: TKIP
WPA Pre-Shared Key: XXXXXX (same as router)

Snufkin
28-03-2005, 20:15
I'm using the latest Asus firmware (1.9.2.7). My laptop has the latest drivers (intel wireless PRO 2200BG). Without encrytionkeys there is no problem! With encryptionkeys the laptop still connects but gets no IP and DNS.

As far as I understand your problem persists with WPA-PSK TKIP. Why don't you try WPA-PSK AES?

I've looked briefly through Wireless Networking Forum FAQ (http://www.dslreports.com/faq/wlan) on Broadband Reports site with search phrase pro+2200bg. They sounds very optimistic about WPA-PSK AES and Intel 2200. :)

Medalha
29-03-2005, 09:16
With firmware 1.9.2.7, I had a problem until I switched from WPA-PSK TKIP to WPA-PSK AES. It immediatly started working.

Timmyt
31-03-2005, 08:35
A reply on this problem... The DHCP problem got me really Pist...O...

This strange thing happend. My wireless connection had problems on my old winxp installation but it worked after a few tries (after each reboot.....) But now i Installed an new version of winxp (inc sp2) and i got the same problem as this topic!

Stranger is that i get a message that says connection with >sidd is establisht, connectionspeed perfect! Then i trie the internet and there is none connection at all. Using ipconfig shows me an ipadres but windows networkconnections says i got an 0.0.0.0 ipadres???

So i guess it the same problem (with solutions) as described here. But i still want to meanson this problem because it my be the DNS that is't working. (solution in this topic also) at least I hope...

At last i find it rearly strange that asus doesn't create a firmware that correctly solves this problem....

GRz
TimmyT

Koppelbaas
31-03-2005, 18:04
My 1 month old laptop (HP) does not support AES! It has an Intel PRO 2200bg chip. I updated it with the latest firmware (15 march) but it stil does not support AES. So AES is no solution for me. Other hints?

Snufkin
31-03-2005, 20:23
My 1 month old laptop (HP) does not support AES! It has an Intel PRO 2200bg chip. I updated it with the latest firmware (15 march) but it stil does not support AES. So AES is no solution for me.

Why don't you trust Intel? ;) Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Product Overview (http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/resources/doc_library/tech_brief/2200bg_prodbrief.pdf)
I've read this doc very carefully and would like to point Intel's note: "AES requires PC software upgrade that will be available in 2H'04 and requires access point support. Available on 802.11 b/g only. Check with your PC manufacturer for availability."

WL-500g does support AES. Possibly for me only :D

O'key, then I've looked in hp.com. As long as I don't know what notebook you've got, I took the first one with Intel 2200. HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless ... (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=442823&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00045314#N1011A)

Prove me I'm wrong :rolleyes:

tomilius
31-03-2005, 20:32
Use WEP or buy a better card

Koppelbaas
02-04-2005, 06:08
Thanx for all your help. After weeks of the struggling I found the solution.

I downloaded not only the latest driver but the whole PROset package (ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/7822/eng/wireless_9.0.1.0_-_generic_tic_90281.exe) for Intel 2200bg chip. This package supports AES.

Then I changed my encryption to AES on router and laptop. I works great on 54 Mbps!

Thanx again

Koppelbaas

tomilius
02-04-2005, 06:44
Congrats!

If only all problems were so simply solved.