PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : building an extension for antenna

ropmip
25-03-2004, 15:18
I have the router installed inside, and I would like to have the antenna outside for better outdoor range. I know that I can buy an external antena to extend the range, but i'm wondering if I can build an extension cable for the antenna...
If I am right I would need:
One femmale sma plug
One Male sma plug
A shielded coaxial cable 0,5 - 1,0 m
Anyone has tried this?

Technik
25-03-2004, 15:55
Well, everything is possible but... I think it does not make sense using the standard (attached) external antena. There will be no positive effect I am afraid. Try to make a better one instead: http://www.nodomainname.co.uk/Antennas/antenna.htm#Can%20with%20conical%20horn ;)
BTW the connector type is RSMA.

ropmip
26-03-2004, 11:39
I don't expect to extend the range by using the same antenna with an extension, I just want to get a better placement for the antena by putting it outdoors and keeping the router indoors. Will I lose signal by using an extension cable?

Antiloop
26-03-2004, 12:50
Originally posted by ropmip
I don't expect to extend the range by using the same antenna with an extension, I just want to get a better placement for the antena by putting it outdoors and keeping the router indoors. Will I lose signal by using an extension cable?

as far as my knowledge let's me, i believe it does loses signal when using extension cable. and you just cannot use normal coaxial cable.

probably when you are planning to use the same antenna, you'll probably lose range.