PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Error 501 when connecting to Transmission Remote

buddy
16-06-2009, 10:28
I am able to connect to the web interface using http://192.168.1.1:8008/cgi-bin/transmission.cgi but trying to connect through Transmission Remote I get an error saying "The remote server returned an error: (501) Not Implemented.

My settings in Transmission Remote are:
Host: 192.168.1.1
Port: 8008

I just upgraded to transmission 1.72 and using transmission-remote-dotnet 3.9

Can anyone help? I have looked everywhere to resolve this problem and dying to use Transmission Remote ratehr than the web interface.

Buddy

gouryella
16-06-2009, 11:15
I am able to connect to the web interface using http://192.168.1.1:8008/cgi-bin/transmission.cgi but trying to connect through Transmission Remote I get an error saying "The remote server returned an error: (501) Not Implemented.

My settings in Transmission Remote are:
Host: 192.168.1.1
Port: 8008

I just upgraded to transmission 1.72 and using transmission-remote-dotnet 3.9

Can anyone help? I have looked everywhere to resolve this problem and dying to use Transmission Remote ratehr than the web interface.

Buddy
maby the settings is overwrited by new version
check...

nano /tmp/harddisk/transmission/config/settings.json
and sometimes web interface ads some garbage to config

buddy
16-06-2009, 12:10
maby the settings is overwrited by new version
check...

nano /tmp/harddisk/transmission/config/settings.json
and sometimes web interface ads some garbage to config

I tried that and I actually don't have any settings.json file

Why is that and what should be in settings.json file?

gouryella
16-06-2009, 12:51
I tried that and I actually don't have any settings.json file

Why is that and what should be in settings.json file?
it's standart cofig file, from wengi's tutorial http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=60933&postcount=4

buddy
16-06-2009, 13:36
it's standart cofig file, from wengi's tutorial http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=60933&postcount=4

I created the settings.json file and added the contents that's on wengi's page. Changed the port to port 8008. I saved and rebooted.

Still no luck and with the same error.
But when I went to open the settings.json file again the contents was gone??

avberk
16-06-2009, 19:17
Looks like you did not install the correct version of transmission.

Did you install 'transmission' or 'transmissiond'?

You install the first one with

ipkg install transmission

Then you start the 'transmission-daemon' with the -f switch.
If you break it off you will see that the settings.json file gets created.
After that you should manually make changes to the file according to your needs.
Now you can start transmission again, but this time without the -f switch.

e.g.
/opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /tmp/harddisk/torrent -T -w /tmp/harddisk/torrent -l 20

(run transmission-daemon -h for help on the switches)

Now you should be able to connect with transmission remote-dotnet (don't change the port number if you don't have too)

buddy
17-06-2009, 01:50
Looks like you did not install the correct version of transmission.

Did you install 'transmission' or 'transmissiond'?

You install the first one with

ipkg install transmission

Then you start the 'transmission-daemon' with the -f switch.
If you break it off you will see that the settings.json file gets created.
After that you should manually make changes to the file according to your needs.
Now you can start transmission again, but this time without the -f switch.

e.g.
/opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /tmp/harddisk/torrent -T -w /tmp/harddisk/torrent -l 20

(run transmission-daemon -h for help on the switches)

Now you should be able to connect with transmission remote-dotnet (don't change the port number if you don't have too)

Thanks for the instructions but still no luck. Still gettings the 501 error. This is how I went about with ur instructions. I changed the port to port 8008 as thats what im using to connect to my browser as even though the settings.json file has set the port to 9091

[admin@WL-500GP root]$ ipkg install transmission

Package transmission (1.72-1) installed in /opt/ is up to date.
Nothing to be done
Successfully terminated.
[admin@WL-500GP root]$
[admin@WL-500GP root]$ transmission-daemon -f
[10:22:42.762] Couldn't bind port 51413 on 0.0.0.0: Address already in use
[10:22:42.938] Couldn't bind port 51413 on ::: Address already in use
[10:22:42.977] RPC Server: Adding address to whitelist: 127.0.0.1
[10:22:43.132] RPC Server: Serving RPC and Web requests on port 9091
[10:22:43.133] RPC Server: Whitelist enabled
[10:22:43.134] Transmission 1.72 (8702) started
[10:22:44.371] %s succeeded (%d): initnatpmp succeeded (0)
[10:22:44.372] %s succeeded (%d): sendpublicaddressrequest succeeded (2)
[10:22:53.042] Starting: Starting
[10:22:53.127] Starting: Starting
^[[10:24:30.517] Saved "/usr/local/root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.jso n"
[10:24:30.629] Stopped: Stopped
Closing transmission session... done.
[admin@WL-500GP root]$ nano /tmp/harddisk/transmission/config/settings.json
[10:25:40.969] Couldn't bind port 51413 on 0.0.0.0: Address already in use
[10:25:41.001] Couldn't bind port 51413 on ::: Address already in use
[10:25:41.043] RPC Server: Adding address to whitelist: 127.0.0.1
[10:25:41.067] RPC Server: Serving RPC and Web requests on port 9091
[10:25:41.068] RPC Server: Whitelist enabled
[10:25:41.069] Transmission 1.72 (8702) started
[10:25:42.282] %s succeeded (%d): initnatpmp succeeded (0)
[10:25:42.283] %s succeeded (%d): sendpublicaddressrequest succeeded (2)
[10:25:51.486] Starting: Starting
[10:25:51.832] Starting: Starting
[10:27:51.703] Saved "/usr/local/root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json"
[10:27:51.730] Stopped: Stopped
[admin@WL-500GP root]$ nano /usr/local/root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json
[admin@WL-500GP root]$ /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /tmp/harddisk/torrent -T -w /tmp/hard disk/torrent -l 20
[admin@WL-500GP root]$
[10:38:49.980] Couldn't bind port 51413 on 0.0.0.0: Address already in use
[10:38:50.003] Couldn't bind port 51413 on ::: Address already in use
[10:38:50.063] RPC Server: Adding address to whitelist: 127.0.0.1
[10:38:50.087] RPC Server: Serving RPC and Web requests on port 8008
[10:38:50.088] RPC Server: Whitelist enabled
[10:38:50.089] Transmission 1.72 (8702) started
[10:38:51.834] %s succeeded (%d): initnatpmp succeeded (0)
[10:38:51.835] %s succeeded (%d): sendpublicaddressrequest succeeded (2)
[10:39:00.001] Starting: Starting
[10:39:00.342] Starting: Starting
[10:39:05.609] Saved "/usr/local/root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json"
[10:39:05.633] Stopped: Stopped
[admin@WL-500GP root]$ /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /tmp/harddisk/torrent -T -w /tmp/harddisk/torrent -l 20
[admin@WL-500GP root]$

i ran transmission-daemon -f at the end again just to show u that I changed the port to 8008

buddy
17-06-2009, 04:54
I found now that I rebooted that I cannot even load tranmission through the browser http://192.168.1.1:8008/cgi-bin/transmission.cgi and it says unable to connect to the remote server when trying to use Tranmission Remote?

avberk
17-06-2009, 09:08
first of all, don't reboot because your setting.json file is not on an external disk and is not saved in flash as far as i can see. (check forum on how to save to flash)

Second. You should be able to connect with this:

http://192.168.1.1:8008

Since transmission has is own build in webinterface i would leave the port on default (9091) and connect like this:

http:192.168.1.1:9091

If that works, you should also be able to connect with transmission remote dotnet

buddy
17-06-2009, 15:58
first of all, don't reboot because your setting.json file is not on an external disk and is not saved in flash as far as i can see. (check forum on how to save to flash)

Second. You should be able to connect with this:

http://192.168.1.1:8008

Since transmission has is own build in webinterface i would leave the port on default (9091) and connect like this:

http:192.168.1.1:9091

If that works, you should also be able to connect with transmission remote dotnet

I followed them steps u gave me earlier and didn't reboot time and left the port number to 9091 in the settings.json file. But when I go to connect through the webbrowser http:192.168.1.1:9091 I get this msg
403: Forbidden
Unauthorized IP Address.

Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.

If you're editing settings.json, see the 'rpc-whitelist' and 'rpc-whitelist-enabled' entries.

If you're still using ACLs, use a whitelist instead. See the transmission-daemon manpage for details.
and I get the same 403 error when trying through transmission remote.

I can still though connect to transmission on the web browser using http://192.168.1.1:8008 but get the 501 error when connecting through transmission remote.

gouryella
17-06-2009, 16:49
just edit .json and change line with rpc-whitelist to:
"rpc-whitelist": "*.*.*.*,"
and restart transmisiion

buddy
18-06-2009, 01:07
just edit .json and change line with rpc-whitelist to:
"rpc-whitelist": "*.*.*.*,"
and restart transmisiion

I edited the .json file and changed the whitelist and restarted transmission by

But Im still getting the 403 error. Could I have another transmission running and thats y they r conflicting?

How would I go about removing everything like all the librarys and packages and start fresh but still keep the torrents that I have not finished yet? Im thinking that might be a solution.

avberk
18-06-2009, 15:56
if you run this command you will see what's installed.

ipkg list_installed

If you see transmissiond then uninstall it with:

ipkg remove transmissiond

btw:

Do you have a folder /tmp/harddisk/torrent?

be sure you have it, otherwise create it. Be sure you have a folder on your harddisk or usb drive connected to the asus.

This is the correct syntax for the rpc whitelist in settings.json:
"rpc-whitelist": "*.*.*.*",

Notice the place of the comma

buddy
18-06-2009, 16:56
if you run this command you will see what's installed.

ipkg list_installed

If you see transmissiond then uninstall it with:

ipkg remove transmissiond

btw:

Do you have a folder /tmp/harddisk/torrent?

be sure you have it, otherwise create it. Be sure you have a folder on your harddisk or usb drive connected to the asus.

This is the correct syntax for the rpc whitelist in settings.json:
"rpc-whitelist": "*.*.*.*",

Notice the place of the comma

Ok I had transmissiond so I uninstalled it and thats wat was running at port 8080 because now I can't connect to it. I have a folder /tmp/harddisk/torrent. I had already fixed the mistake with the comma for the rpc-whitelist when I changed it.

Gave it a shot and ran 192.168.1.1:9091 and I still get the same 403 error msg even though I changed the rpc-whitelist, y is that when I have changed it to accept any ip address?

403: Forbidden
Unauthorized IP Address.

Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.

If you're editing settings.json, see the 'rpc-whitelist' and 'rpc-whitelist-enabled' entries.

If you're still using ACLs, use a whitelist instead. See the transmission-daemon manpage for details.

avberk
18-06-2009, 19:55
I am sure the problem is in the settings.json file, or you did not restart transmission-daemon after a change.

Can you post your settings.json file in an attachment, so i can have a look?

Can you tell me which subfolders you see in the /tmp/harddisk/torrent folder?
also change the permissions on the torrent folder to 777 with 'chmod'

and also do this: (you could have too old versions of these packages)
ipkg update
ipkg install openssl
ipkg install libcurl

buddy
19-06-2009, 02:50
I am sure the problem is in the settings.json file, or you did not restart transmission-daemon after a change.

Can you post your settings.json file in an attachment, so i can have a look?

Can you tell me which subfolders you see in the /tmp/harddisk/torrent folder?
also change the permissions on the torrent folder to 777 with 'chmod'

ipkg update
ipkg install openssl
ipkg install libcurl

When I nano /tmp/harddisk/transmission/config/settings.json there is no contents in that file but when I nano /usr/local/root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json which is wat is created when I run transmission-daemon -f
I have attached the file that gets created with the change that I did to the rpc-whitelist. I even copied this file to /tmp/harddisk/transmission/config/settings.json but that still didnt work. Why is it that it doesnt get created in the correct folder?

The folders I have in /tmp/harddisk/torrent folder are: blocklists resume torrents

I chmod to 777 the /tmp/harddisk/torrent and restarted tranmission but still gettings the 403 error.

avberk
19-06-2009, 10:34
the settings.json file should go to the folder

/tmp/harddisk/torrent

Try starting transmission-daemon with attached startup script. (replace the 10.0.0.* with *.*.*.*)
make the script executable with chmod 755

ipkg update
ipkg install openssl
ipkg install libcurl

gouryella
19-06-2009, 18:24
Try :-)

chmod -R 770 /tmp/harddisk/transmission/

buddy
19-06-2009, 21:16
Guys I finally got it working =) looks great

I copied the S89trans file to /opt/etc/init.d/ folder and there were other tranmission files there which I deleted. Changed the permissions and rebooted and gave it a shot in the web browser which worked and then gave it a shot with transmission remote which worked as well. Im so happy, thanxs very much guys.

Just a few questions:

- the torrents are downloaded to /tmp/harddisk/torrent folder but how do u access this folder in windows, I can only view /mnt and /opt folders?

- I origannly had my completed torrents downloaded to /mnt/protected/Downloaders/Transmission/target and the uncompleted ones /mnt/protected/Downloaders/Transmission/work. I still have heaps of uncompleted torrents and some that are almost finished and are big files. Any chance of resuming these torrents with the new transmission?

buddy
20-06-2009, 09:48
I started a download and I then rebooted. Found that the torrent was removed? How can i prevent this?

avberk
20-06-2009, 10:54
Guys I finally got it working =) looks great

I copied the S89trans file to /opt/etc/init.d/ folder and there were other tranmission files there which I deleted. Changed the permissions and rebooted and gave it a shot in the web browser which worked and then gave it a shot with transmission remote which worked as well. Im so happy, thanxs very much guys.

Just a few questions:

- the torrents are downloaded to /tmp/harddisk/torrent folder but how do u access this folder in windows, I can only view /mnt and /opt folders?

Several possebilities:
-share the folder with 'samba'
-you can use an ftp client. e.g. vsftpd
-you can install winscp from winscp.net
Search the forum for these possibilities and how to use them.

- I origannly had my completed torrents downloaded to /mnt/protected/Downloaders/Transmission/target and the uncompleted ones /mnt/protected/Downloaders/Transmission/work. I still have heaps of uncompleted torrents and some that are almost finished and are big files. Any chance of resuming these torrents with the new transmission?
[/QUOTE]
Just give it a try with one torrent. Just move the file and the torrent to the new location...not sure if it will work..

avberk
20-06-2009, 11:04
I started a download and I then rebooted. Found that the torrent was removed? How can i prevent this?

Can you tell in which folder your torrent(s) are stored?

If it is not on /tmp/harddisk/torrent/torrents, then that's the problem.
Maybe you need to put the correct folder in settings.json manually.

Second thing you might want to try:

Stop the torrents before you reboot.

Hope this helps..

buddy
21-06-2009, 05:40
Winscp works great and I can now c my /tmp folder

I actually put my torrents in /mnt/Downloads a folder I made up because I tried one torrent and what happened is I got a error message from transmission remote saying unable to connect to server and thats why I rebooted and when I opened transmission again the torrent was gone. I dont understand it's like everytime I reboot everything gets removed like settings.json and the torrents.

I am able to set transmission remote to connect to /mnt/Downloads to access my torrents and they resume but I have to add the torrent again everytime I get that unable to connect to remote server error message as I have to reboot. I changed the settings.json file so it connects to /mnt/Downloads but it gets removed after a reboot??

SO thats y I made a folder for my existing torrents cos I didnt want to lose them. Y might this be so, how can i fix it?

avberk
21-06-2009, 10:54
The reason you loose the files in /mnt/downloads is because these files are not stored on your harddisk, but on volatile ram of the asus itself.

Thus, unless you save the torrents to flash (which makes no sense, since you have a harddisk/usb drive) the files are lost when you reboot.

Thus i recommend to put the torrents on /tmp/harddisk/torrent.

Check the settings.json file and change it to this setting:

"download-dir": "\/tmp\/harddisk\/torrent",

If you would like an alternative location, you can also make a subfolder
in /opt (which is normally the same as /tmp/harddisk).

buddy
21-06-2009, 11:44
The reason you loose the files in /mnt/downloads is because these files are not stored on your harddisk, but on volatile ram of the asus itself.

Thus, unless you save the torrents to flash (which makes no sense, since you have a harddisk/usb drive) the files are lost when you reboot.

Thus i recommend to put the torrents on /tmp/harddisk/torrent.

Check the settings.json file and change it to this setting:

"download-dir": "\/tmp\/harddisk\/torrent",

If you would like an alternative location, you can also make a subfolder
in /opt (which is normally the same as /tmp/harddisk).

I gave it a shot to have my torrents in /tmp/harddisk/torrent but everytime I rebooted they disappeared.

Even trying to have the settings.json file in /tmp/harddisk/torrent folder wouldnt work as when I saved to flash it wouldnt save but when I had the put the settings.json file in /tmp/local/root/.config/transmission-daemon and saved to flash it saved.

I then edited the settings.json file and made the directory to save the torrents /tmp/harddisk/torrent but when I rebooted the torrent file and what had downloaded dissappeared. Like it had to be saved to flash (like what ur saving about /mnt, may I have the tmp drive as being the ram and /mnt as being the harddrive?)

whereas having the torrents in /mnt they dont dissapear as I edited the S90trans file to work with the settings.json and to download the torrents to /mnt/Downloads

/opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /tmp/local/root/.config/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20

Although the problem still being is the .torrent file itself being in /tmp/local/root/.config/transmission-daemon/torrents gets removed when I reboot. How can I change it so the .torrent files dont dissapear or if I can change the directory where the .torent files get saved and loaded up again when transmission starts again?

avberk
22-06-2009, 09:05
One thing i don't understand why transmission is not installed to /opt

it should normally be here:

"/opt/share/transmission"

Do you have a /opt folder?

Can you post the output of 'df'?

What kind of disks are connected to the asus?

buddy
22-06-2009, 10:04
One thing i don't understand why transmission is not installed to /opt

it should normally be here:

"/opt/share/transmission"

Do you have a /opt folder?

Can you post the output of 'df'?

What kind of disks are connected to the asus?

I have a folder "/opt/share/transmission"

output of df is:

[admin@WL-500GP root]$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 3072 3072 0 100% /
/dev/root 3072 3072 0 100% /
/dev/discs/disc0/part2
15694088 437032 14459832 3% /opt
/dev/discs/disc0/part3
937887716 209317168 680928588 24% /mnt

I have a 1TB Western Digital External

avberk
22-06-2009, 11:18
it's getting a bit messy now.

Forget about /tmp and putting your torrents there, this probably not a good location.

Try to start everything from /mnt as you did with your downloads.

buddy
22-06-2009, 11:40
thats what I ended up doing is changing the S90trans file to have this argument load transmission-daemon
/opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /mnt/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20

And it works and no files r removed when i reboot =)

Thanxs so much for ur help avberk, much appreciated.

Was gonna ask how would I go about accessing Transmission from a remote computer? Say if I was at a mates house and I would like to c if my downloads were completed or add a torrent when Im not at home but so it starts while im away? Should I start a new thread?

buddy
23-06-2009, 03:19
I am finding that after a while I get an error with transmission saying failed to connect and therefore I reboot but I find it having to check all my torrents again before continuing downloading which takes ages for torrents that are like 5gb?

Also I find that transmission is slowing down my net alot even when its not downloading at a quick speed?

avberk
23-06-2009, 14:30
You should not need to reboot the asus all the time.
Probably you have another problem that is causing some trouble.
Do you have a swap file created?

Can post the output of 'free'?

If you find that your internet is slowing down, then the most likely reason is that you didn't limit the upload speed.

Limit the upload speed (in transmission) to around 75% (or less) of your maximum upload capacity.

wpte
23-06-2009, 18:03
If you find that your internet is slowing down, then the most likely reason is that you didn't limit the upload speed.

Limit the upload speed (in transmission) to around 75% (or less) of your maximum upload capacity.

do note that transmission has a very irregular speed...

and if you don't like transmission, maybe you should try rtorrent, I use it because its more lightweight, has a more stable speed and connects to peers more quickly.

buddy
24-06-2009, 15:49
The reason y im rebooting is because transmission freezes and stops allowing me connect to it.

You should not need to reboot the asus all the time.
Probably you have another problem that is causing some trouble.
Do you have a swap file created?

Can post the output of 'free'?

[admin@WL-500GP root]$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 30164 29388 776 0 772 9532
-/+ buffers/cache: 19084 11080
Swap: 524276 20992 503284
[admin@WL-500GP root]$

I set "peer-limit-global": 15, which helped make the net run a bit quicker.

buddy
24-06-2009, 15:50
do note that transmission has a very irregular speed...

and if you don't like transmission, maybe you should try rtorrent, I use it because its more lightweight, has a more stable speed and connects to peers more quickly.

Can u run rtorrent whilst running tranmission?

avberk
24-06-2009, 20:17
From the looks of it you system has too many processes running, leaving little room to operate in memory.

Maybe you should stop some processes to see if transmission runs better.

ofcourse you could give rtorrent a try, but transmission should run normally as well (it does for me).

Here is my output of 'free':

total used free shared buffers
Mem: 30164 29348 816 0 1120
Swap: 68672 6416 162256
Total: 98836 35764 163072

Not sure why you have this '-/+ buffers/cache'. Could this be overloading your system???

buddy
25-06-2009, 04:38
These are all the processes which are running when I type p[s axf. Which ones dont I really need to run?

[admin@WL-500GP root]$ ps axf
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
1 ? S 0:01 /sbin/init
2 ? S 0:00 [keventd]
3 ? RN 0:00 [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
4 ? S 0:00 [kswapd]
5 ? S 0:00 [bdflush]
6 ? S 0:00 [kupdated]
7 ? S 0:00 [mtdblockd]
59 ? S 0:00 httpd vlan1
65 ? S 0:00 klogd
68 ? Ss 0:01 nas /tmp/nas.lan.conf /tmp/nas.lan.pid lan
70 ? S 0:00 [dnsmasq]
72 ? S 0:00 [khubd]
80 ? Ss 0:00 lpd
83 ? Ss 0:00 p9100d -f /dev/usb/lp0 0
86 ? Ss 0:00 waveservermain
88 ? Ss 0:00 rcamdmain
92 ? R 0:01 [usb-storage-0]
93 ? S 0:00 [scsi_eh_0]
103 ? Ss 0:00 infosvr br0
104 ? Ss 0:00 watchdog
106 ? Ss 0:00 \_ ntp
115 ? S 0:00 dropbear
347 ? Ss 0:01 \_ dropbear
349 pts/0 Ss 0:00 \_ -sh
353 pts/0 R+ 0:00 \_ ps axf
129 ? S 0:00 udhcpc -i vlan1 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc
147 ? S 0:00 [kjournald]
148 ? S 0:00 [kjournald]
175 ? S 0:00 /sbin/syslogd -m 0 -O /opt/var/log/syslog.log -S -l 7 -s 0
180 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/sbin/cron
189 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/sbin/xinetd -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid
194 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/bin/php-fcgi -b 1026
284 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/php-fcgi -b 1026
201 ? Ss 0:00 [proftpd]
219 ? S 0:00 /bin/sh /opt/bin/mysqld_safe --datadir=/opt/var/lib/mysql --pid-file=/opt/var/lib/mysql/WL-500GP.pid
300 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/opt --datadir=/opt/var/lib/mysql --user=root --pid-file=/opt/var/lib/mysql/WL-500GP.pid --skip-
305 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/opt --datadir=/opt/var/lib/mysql --user=root --pid-file=/opt/var/lib/mysql/WL-500GP.pid --s
306 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/opt --datadir=/opt/var/lib/mysql --user=root --pid-file=/opt/var/lib/mysql/WL-500GP.pid
324 ? S<s 0:00 /opt/sbin/smbd -D
348 ? S< 0:00 \_ [smbd]
326 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/sbin/nmbd -D
336 ? S 0:12 /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /mnt/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20
337 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /mnt/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20
338 ? D 0:06 \_ /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /mnt/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20
339 ? R 0:32 \_ /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /mnt/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20
345 ? S 0:00 upnp -D -L br0 -W vlan1
[admin@WL-500GP root]$

avberk
25-06-2009, 08:36
Start with disabeling some services via the webinterface.

You just could kill a few services.

e.g. waveserver, mysql, smbd, nmbd, rcamdmain, php

and then watch for a while if things improve. If it does you know that you are short of memory.

buddy
25-06-2009, 18:21
I killed what u told me to and this is the result, will let u know how it goes.

Does it look better then when i typed 'free' last time?

[admin@WL-500GP root]$ ps axf
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
1 ? S 0:01 /sbin/init
2 ? S 0:00 [keventd]
3 ? SN 2:04 [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
4 ? S 1:47 [kswapd]
5 ? S 0:00 [bdflush]
6 ? S 0:00 [kupdated]
7 ? S 0:01 [mtdblockd]
59 ? S 0:00 httpd vlan1
65 ? S 0:00 klogd
68 ? Ss 0:01 nas /tmp/nas.lan.conf /tmp/nas.lan.pid lan
70 ? S 0:11 [dnsmasq]
72 ? S 0:00 [khubd]
80 ? Ss 0:00 lpd
83 ? Ss 0:00 p9100d -f /dev/usb/lp0 0
92 ? S 7:02 [usb-storage-0]
93 ? S 0:00 [scsi_eh_0]
103 ? Ss 0:00 infosvr br0
104 ? Ss 0:02 watchdog
106 ? Ss 0:00 \_ ntp
115 ? S 0:00 dropbear
388 ? Ss 0:01 \_ dropbear
389 pts/0 Ss 0:00 \_ -sh
397 pts/0 R+ 0:00 \_ ps axf
129 ? S 0:00 udhcpc -i vlan1 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc
147 ? S 0:00 [kjournald]
148 ? S 0:07 [kjournald]
175 ? S 0:02 /sbin/syslogd -m 0 -O /opt/var/log/syslog.log -S -l 7 -s 0
180 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/sbin/cron
189 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/sbin/xinetd -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid
194 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/bin/php-fcgi -b 1026
284 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/php-fcgi -b 1026
201 ? Ss 0:00 [proftpd]
336 ? S 0:12 /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /mnt/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20
337 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /mnt/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20
338 ? R 69:35 \_ /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /mnt/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20
[admin@WL-500GP root]$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 30164 29500 664 0 1668 10840
-/+ buffers/cache: 16992 13172
Swap: 524276 17576 506700
[admin@WL-500GP root]$

avberk
25-06-2009, 19:53
it's better, but still not good.

Can you just run 'ps' without the flags. In this way we can
see what program is eating up memory

buddy
28-06-2009, 01:23
This is the result when I just run ps, is this right?

[admin@WL-500GP root]$ ps
PID TTY TIME CMD
576 pts/0 00:00:00 sh
581 pts/0 00:00:00 ps
[admin@WL-500GP root]$

avberk
28-06-2009, 14:28
apparently you are using a different version of 'ps' then i do.
Is the result the same if you run:

/opt/bin/ps

otherwise try this and the run ps again:

ipkg update
ipkg install busybox

buddy
28-06-2009, 15:41
I didnt kill any processes this time

[admin@WL-500GP root]$ ps
PID Uid VmSize Stat Command
1 admin 396 S /sbin/init
2 admin SW [keventd]
3 admin RWN [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
4 admin SW [kswapd]
5 admin SW [bdflush]
6 admin SW [kupdated]
7 admin SW [mtdblockd]
59 admin 332 S httpd vlan1
65 admin 288 S klogd
68 admin 248 S nas /tmp/nas.lan.conf /tmp/nas.lan.pid lan
70 nobody 260 S [dnsmasq]
72 admin SW [khubd]
80 admin 184 S lpd
83 admin 188 S p9100d -f /dev/usb/lp0 0
86 admin 252 S waveservermain
88 admin 252 S rcamdmain
92 admin DW [usb-storage-0]
93 admin SW [scsi_eh_0]
103 admin 224 S infosvr br0
104 admin 432 S watchdog
106 admin 276 S ntp
115 admin 300 S dropbear
129 admin 312 S udhcpc -i vlan1 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc
131 admin 480 S dropbear
132 admin 488 S -sh
152 admin SW [kjournald]
153 admin SW [kjournald]
181 admin 328 S /sbin/syslogd -m 0 -O /opt/var/log/syslog.log -S -l 7 -s 0
186 admin 264 S /opt/sbin/cron
195 admin 340 S /opt/sbin/xinetd -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid
200 admin 2336 S /opt/bin/php-fcgi -b 1026
208 nobody 960 S [proftpd]
226 admin 408 S /bin/sh /opt/bin/mysqld_safe --datadir=/opt/var/lib/mysql --pid-file=/opt/var/lib/mysql/WL-500GP.pid
296 admin 1040 S /opt/bin/php-fcgi -b 1026
319 admin 496 S < /opt/sbin/smbd -D
323 admin 772 S /opt/sbin/nmbd -D
331 admin 724 S /opt/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/opt --datadir=/opt/var/lib/mysql --user=root --pid-file=/opt/var/lib/mysql/WL-500GP.pid --skip-exte
334 admin 724 S /opt/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/opt --datadir=/opt/var/lib/mysql --user=root --pid-file=/opt/var/lib/mysql/WL-500GP.pid --skip-exte
335 admin 724 S /opt/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/opt --datadir=/opt/var/lib/mysql --user=root --pid-file=/opt/var/lib/mysql/WL-500GP.pid --skip-exte
338 admin 9760 R /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /mnt/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20
339 admin 9760 S /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /mnt/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20
340 admin 9760 R /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /mnt/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20
341 admin 9760 R /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -a *.*.*.* -g /mnt/transmission-daemon -T -w /mnt/Downloads -l 20
349 admin 464 S upnp -D -L br0 -W vlan1
351 admin 396 R ps

avberk
29-06-2009, 14:46
Ok, not too much memory consumption by the running processes.

Probably it's the buffer/cache that is giving the problem. Part of the memory (which is only 32MB) is reserved to cache frequently used data. The result is that it leaves even less memory to run your processes in.

Thus, it's best to switch this cache off. (not sure how)

Can you remember at which point you activated the cache?

buddy
30-06-2009, 00:06
Not too sure when and how I did it as well. Would have been when I was following one of the tutorials, I think olegs or wengis to setup everything including my external.