PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Any options left?

auduny
23-03-2005, 22:57
I ran Olegs firmware on my asus wl500g for a while, then I tough running openwrt would be fun. Worked nicly, but I keep having random resets. I started to looking around the nvram-variables and (for some strange reason) set boot_wait to off. Then i saw that eth0.eth1 and eth2 shared the same mac-address.
"That can't be right" i tought to myself and unset all of them, thinking it was some kind of override... Commit, reboot

So... I have wireless, but it won't answer on any interface, not arp-request no nothing. The restore+poweron-trick does not work anymore.

Is there _any_ way I can get this thingy into recovery-mode, or should I just RMA it?

Antiloop
24-03-2005, 00:12
I ran Olegs firmware on my asus wl500g for a while, then I tough running openwrt would be fun. Worked nicly, but I keep having random resets. I started to looking around the nvram-variables and (for some strange reason) set boot_wait to off. Then i saw that eth0.eth1 and eth2 shared the same mac-address.
"That can't be right" i tought to myself and unset all of them, thinking it was some kind of override... Commit, reboot

So... I have wireless, but it won't answer on any interface, not arp-request no nothing. The restore+poweron-trick does not work anymore.

Is there _any_ way I can get this thingy into recovery-mode, or should I just RMA it?

search for PIN10 and try it

auduny
24-03-2005, 00:36
search for PIN10 and try it

Try it? Is it a jumper (havn't opened the box yet (since I am thinking of RMA'ing it)

What is it supposed to do?

hezik
24-03-2005, 01:37
he ment search as in 'use the forum search'..

be sure unit is powered off
be sure LAN cable is connected
be sure your PC has a STATIC IP
be sure to have to firmware restoration tool at hand

do the following

shortcut PIN10 of the FLASH (AMD) chip with GROUND while powering on, release immediately. The unit should now enter recovery modus
(power led wil flash)

And forget about RMA-ing it. They wont RMA a device with custom firmware on it. Sure they'll repair it for you probably, but it'll cost you more than a new one would.

Oleg
24-03-2005, 08:15
And forget about RMA-ing it. They wont RMA a device with custom firmware on it. Sure they'll repair it for you probably, but it'll cost you more than a new one would.
Well, in fact if the unit is totally dead, i.e. does not enter recovery mode, then most likely pmon is dead and there is no way to determine firmware version. This board lacks JTAG connector, so it's nearly impossible to say if it was flashed with custom firmware or not.
Also, even with partially "dead" unit, i.e. working pmon but corrupted nvram, they need to have special board (i.e. UART) which is most likely is not available in the local tech support centers.
So, the unit could be send for RMA.

auduny
24-03-2005, 11:09
Well, in fact if the unit is totally dead, i.e. does not enter recovery mode, then most likely pmon is dead and there is no way to determine firmware version. This board lacks JTAG connector, so it's nearly impossible to say if it was flashed with custom firmware or not.
Also, even with partially "dead" unit, i.e. working pmon but corrupted nvram, they need to have special board (i.e. UART) which is most likely is not available in the local tech support centers.
So, the unit could be send for RMA.

It's not totaly dead. My guess is that it's running just fine, but none of the interfaces are up, since it's lacking MAC-addressess. I'm not sure if boot_wait=off made the device not enter recovery mode, or it just won't since it's lacking MAC's or if OpenWRT disabled it in some way. I can still see my wireless SSID and connect to it, but do not get dhcp and cannot se arp or ping 129.168.1.1.

(Does this mean that eth0,eth1,eth2 network cards are _supposed_ to share MAC-addresses and that mac-address are totale firmware (nvram) controllable, and not just overridable?)

Oleg
24-03-2005, 11:16
Cool. I've read your first post. Switching boot_wait to off is very interesting, as well as removing mac addresses...
Anyway, pin 10 trick should help you. this will cause both nvram error & CRC firmware error, causing device to enter rescue mode. You will then need to flash it with wl500g-clear-nvram.trx firmware and then to flash with normal firmware.

auduny
24-03-2005, 20:16
Cool. I've read your first post. Switching boot_wait to off is very interesting, as well as removing mac addresses...
Anyway, pin 10 trick should help you. this will cause both nvram error & CRC firmware error, causing device to enter rescue mode. You will then need to flash it with wl500g-clear-nvram.trx firmware and then to flash with normal firmware.

Hm pin10-trick refers to AMD-chip. I have such chip (I think) The revision on the board is R2.40

UPDATE: I have no AMD CHIP, but a ST-chip m29w320dt, 0on1, 8b004 vs, sgp 8b 425

Does the same pin10-trick work here? *lets see*
YES! It did. Up'n'running with oleg software once again. Thanks!