PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Connecting to the WL-HDD away from home?

jonolumb
23-03-2005, 19:04
Hi there all
I am wanting to get one of these WL-HDD's but need to know if I will be able to access files on the disk from outside the home network I have. I use a D-link DSL-604T router at the moment for my network- which has many advanced configuration settings.
Also, will I need a custom firmware to do this or will it work with the official fimware.
Please help me out on this! Keep it fairly simple for me tho! Not a technical genius! :rolleyes:
Jono

jonolumb
23-03-2005, 19:05
Also- will I be able to use the WL-HDD to host photos and videos that I will be able to access from a website?
Cheers guys
Jono

Styno
24-03-2005, 08:13
There are multiple options here:
To get FTP access on the WL-HDD on a home network you need to forward port 21 in the D-Link router towards the WL-HDD. Look in the manual for 'port-forwarding'.

You can get Samba fileaccess (like a shared disk in Windows) is you place the WL-HDD in a DMZ behind the D-Link (Not very safe/secure though).

You can install a custom firmware on the WL-HDD and run an extra webserver (on port 8080) on it, so you can access the pictures directly from a webpage. You need to forward port 80 on the D-Link to port 8080 on the WL-HDD is this case.

In above cases you better give the WL-HDD a static IP address.

There are probably even more options and sorry this sort of stuff needs to be a bit technical :)

jonolumb
24-03-2005, 08:56
Thanks for the advice
I'm definitely going to get one of these
I already understand how to do port forwarding etc but the web server sounds a bit more complex. I'll have a go after I get one.
Cheers
Jonathan

There are multiple options here:
To get FTP access on the WL-HDD on a home network you need to forward port 21 in the D-Link router towards the WL-HDD. Look in the manual for 'port-forwarding'.

You can get Samba fileaccess (like a shared disk in Windows) is you place the WL-HDD in a DMZ behind the D-Link (Not very safe/secure though).

You can install a custom firmware on the WL-HDD and run an extra webserver (on port 8080) on it, so you can access the pictures directly from a webpage. You need to forward port 80 on the D-Link to port 8080 on the WL-HDD is this case.

In above cases you better give the WL-HDD a static IP address.

There are probably even more options and sorry this sort of stuff needs to be a bit technical :)