PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : How to set up the wl500g using multiple static IP's

Bashzuk
23-03-2005, 05:04
First off I pay for 5 static Ip addresses. I am wondering if the WL-500g can handle being set up so that I can assign my static ip addresses to my computers. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bash

Jeroen Vonk
23-03-2005, 21:27
First off I pay for 5 static Ip addresses. I am wondering if the WL-500g can handle being set up so that I can assign my static ip addresses to my computers. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bash

Yes and no. Yes because the Asus Wl500g is capable of being a router without using NAT/PAT. (System Setup - Operation Mode => select "router")

Unfortunately for you this is useless. If you have 5 IP addresses available, you have a netmask of 255.255.255.248. This means you actually have 8 IP addresses available but the lowest IP is you network address, the highest IP is the broadcast address and you "lose" an IP which your ISP uses for it's router which is supplied to you. (usually the first available IP after the network address) The remaining 5 available addresses are all on the same subnet and it's not possible (without changing routing tables on the router provided by your ISP) to create a subnet within the remaining addresses. (well, in fact it is possible, but you would only have 2 addresses available, which imho is pretty useless)

But why do you want to use the Asus as the router, you already have a router (otherwise this setup is just not possible) Just plug your internet connection into a switch, and all 5 adressess are available on your LAN.... You could setup the WL500g as a plain access point, then all 5 ports wired and wireless ports are on the same subnet. Basically you "degrade" you Asus to a unmanaged switch. But keep in mind that you lose all firewall functionality!

hezik
23-03-2005, 21:33
eh, yes and yes.

There are several ways of going about this. You could give the ASUS all the IP adresses and port forward whatever you need to the appropiate computers.

However that would be a dirty solution.

You can just give your Asus one of the available IP adresses, let it nat for computers which you don't want to use a public IP and bridge the other public IP's (so the other PC's can use them) and use your asus as a firewall.

I'm sorry i can't explain it much better than that. Best thing to keep in mind is that your asus is just a linux box using iptables. If you read the iptables documentation, it's all in there, including examples on how to do it.

You can ignore Jeroen Vonk's answer, since it's nonsense (sorry jeroen, maar dat is echt zo. Je kunt prima een subnet firewallen met een linux doos)

Kitsok
24-03-2005, 07:55
My $.25

You can even forward all traffic from ISP to local boxes.
As I see now this will require modification of firmware (I'm not sure this is possible to do using iptables only, have to do some ARP tricks) and deeply customized /usr/local/sbin/post-* scripts.

Don't forget - this is just a Linux box :)