PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Introduction to custom firmware for the uninitiated

jago25_98
22-03-2005, 01:31
This information took me a while to figure out for myself. I hope it can be of some use to somebody.

"First of all the community isn't [stike]great.[/strike] " - it's only quiet

EDIT!:: Bad choice of words. The forums are quiet because there are less people with WL500G's than there are with the linksysWRT range (not referring to Sveasoft). If I relised because of that I would have got a Linksys. I thought I could plug it in after buying it and start managing bandwidth, but I haven't got the WLAN port working and I don't yet understand how it works.

So I've got to do the work to figure out what's going on. Keep in touch with me I hope I can help you. Maybe you can help me.

Default telnet username = `admin`
Default password = `admin`

- udhcpc is the dhcp daemon to get an IP on the WL500G. use with:

udhcpc -i eth1 -s /bin/true

http://udhcp.busybox.net/README.udhcpc

- interfaces are like this:

eth0 = local; all of the unmanaged switch
eth1 = WAN
eth2 = wireless (aka WLAN)

- the firmwares linked from here:
http://wl500g.info/forumdisplay.php?f=70
are mixed with unofficial and official ASUS versions (I think). So if you find telnet is no longer running you've accidently picked up an ASUS official firmware like me.

- there is a problem with WAN media detection. See this thread:
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=922

- sit0 is a device for ipv6

And don't miss this too:

Re-enabling flashfs load after the firmware upgrade
Once you've upgraded/downgraded your firmware you could notice, that /usr/local becomes empty on boot. Don't worry, everything is here, but was not loaded to prevent errors. If you feel it's ok to re-enable it, then just type the following

flashfs enable

to re-enable flashfs. After that you need to reboot for changes to take effect.

And how to repair a dead unit should disaster strike:
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1606
(though I can't see how that would help if the tftpd server is dead. I guess there must be some sort of backup image that kicks in when you hold reset button and plug power cable in)

There may be some docs somewhere I've missed and if so that would explain everything.
The WAN port on my 2nd hand WL500g could actually be broken even though the ethernet light lights up.

I hope this has helped and that you can avoid the confusion I went through.

tomilius
22-03-2005, 02:02
Well.. um.. the default telnet username/password is the same as the default router username/password, and it's always the same as the router's username/password... so... that part isn't very hard to figure out.

But it's good that you're trying to centralize information. This community does need that.

barsju
22-03-2005, 06:41
First of all the community isn't great. If I relised I would have got a Linksys

Well if a great community is where you have to pay to take part in it... This community really is great, people are very helpfull, the forum is very active and new developments happen all the time. But you have spotted what isn't quite as good with this forum. It's kinda hard to get started for newbies! Information is rather scattered, and there is a lot of outdated information for earlier FW versions that gets mixed up with the new.

To solve this i suggest instead of starting threads like this which eventually will become outdated, update the wiki pages! And also putting more info in the faq would really help. There should be a "How do I get started?"-question there, explaining the basics. Where to find FW, how to install, how to telnet, hidden admin page, link to oleg.wl500g.info, explain how the forums work...

S.

jago25_98
22-03-2005, 13:10
"hidden admin page"?

^ really? Where's that! :)

Good idea. I'll add the info to the WIKI as I become sure of what I'm doing. At the moment I'm not well versed enough to give help, rather I'm just sharing my experiences.

I'm now trying to figure out if I can disable bridging to do things manually and where/which the WLAN device has gone with a later firmware! :D -->

[admin@(none) root]$ ifconfig -a
br0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:A6:CE:E2:37
inet addr:192.168.100.2 Bcast:192.168.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::20e:a6ff:fece:e237/10 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:49 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:79 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2626 (2.5 KiB) TX bytes:16052 (15.6 KiB)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:A6:CE:E2:37
RX packets:49 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:85 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:3508 (3.4 KiB) TX bytes:16450 (16.0 KiB)
Interrupt:3 Base address:0x2000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:A6:CE:E2:37
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:4 Base address:0x8000

eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:A6:CE:E2:37
TX packets:42 errors:44 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:13816 (13.4 KiB)
Interrupt:6 Base address:0x2000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:16436 Metric:1

sit0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1

[admin@(none) root]$

Styno
22-03-2005, 13:48
Well if a great community is where you have to pay to take part in it... This community really is great, people are very helpfull, the forum is very active and new developments happen all the time. But you have spotted what isn't quite as good with this forum. It's kinda hard to get started for newbies! Information is rather scattered, and there is a lot of outdated information for earlier FW versions that gets mixed up with the new.

To solve this i suggest instead of starting threads like this which eventually will become outdated, update the wiki pages! And also putting more info in the faq would really help. There should be a "How do I get started?"-question there, explaining the basics. Where to find FW, how to install, how to telnet, hidden admin page, link to oleg.wl500g.info, explain how the forums work...

S.I agree with barsju.

What you want apparently is a professional forum/helpdesk. But this forum is maintained by volunteers and they are not able to work full-time on it just so the n00bs (sorry for that) can be up to speed in 10 minutes. The search is a powerful feature and a lot of people should use it instead of asking the same question over and over again. Also, there are very few people who actually contribute to the WIKI.

I agree that the forum and WIKI are not optimal, so please do suggestions about how this can be enhanced. But to be honest here, I don't think that collecting all kinds of info in a single topic is the way to go.

Oh, and the Linksys is quite a different machine compared to the Asus IMHO. So blaming your 'wrong' choice on the community is bolloks...

jago25_98
22-03-2005, 14:11
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I'm complaining, certainly not at the unofficial community.

It's just that I'm used to busy forums and such.

It is annoying though because so far I haven't been able to use the WLAN port. I'm not sure if this is because it's broken. I can't see it with `ifconfig -a`.

I thought I'd just be able to plug the WLAN port into the cable modem and with the WDD bandwidth management fights with flatmates would disappear. Instead I find myself telnetting in and doing it myself. I'm fine with that but I just wish I'd known this before buying it as I suspect if I got a linksysWRT with OpenWRT and wondershaper it would have worked just fine.

update:: Narrowed it down to udhcpd. Able to ping statically from WAN but udhcpc is unsuccessful in getting an IP, a shame as setting static IPs isn't succesful either. Have had one successful IP lease with dhcpc but with my own dhcpd server and unable to duplicate immediately again after releasing this after. Keep trying....

Jean-Fabrice
22-03-2005, 14:14
Have updated the wiki compilingfirmware pages for 1.9.2.7-4 fw
http://wiki.wl500g.info/index.php/compilingcustomfirmware

jago25_98
22-03-2005, 15:50
[admin@(none) root]$ udhcpc -n -q -i eth1 -s /bin/true
udhcpc (v0.9.9-pre) started
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
No lease, failing.
[admin@(none) root]$

whether plugged into cable modem (dhcp works with computer), or whether plugged into computer with dhcpd server running....

manually assigning WAN an IP doesn't work either: ifconfig 192.168.100.10 && ping 192.168.100.1

I'm seriously beginning to wonder whether this WAN port is phsically broken...