PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Bandwidth control??

markyap73
21-03-2005, 11:36
Hi guys,
This is my first posting here, hope someone can help??

I've upgraded my firmware to 1.9.2.7 as I want to restrict my daughter laptop. While I'm gaming on RtCW, I get a ping around 300+ (sometimes 999). I've set my IP address to max 200Kbps and min 150, port 80 (as per NTL). The upload I've set port 21 (which NTL have told me is the upload port and also my service is 300k) to max 15, min 10. Is this right?? Also I've entered the IP address and port of the server I connect to when gaming, again, is this correct?? (but not for upload). My daughters laptop, I've left this alone as and remaining bandwidth is swallowed by her machine. Even with these settings, I'm getting ping of around the same as before. She uses Skype and MSN messenger.
I would be happy with a ping of about 200 as I could live with this while getting my arses kicked.
Can someone point me in the right direction please :D

Styno
21-03-2005, 12:38
Make sure the total bandwith is slightly less then the theoretical speed of your WAN connection, e.g. if your WAN is 1024/512 kbps then you should set around 960/448, so the QoS has some extra bandwith to play with.

You can find the actual transfer capacity by starting with relatively low numbers, then doing some tests and then gradually upping the numbers until you see the pings rise again. Then you know what your realistic bandwith is.

markyap73
21-03-2005, 13:21
Thanks Styno for a quick reply. I'll play around with it tonight and hope for the best. As for the ports, have I entered the correct ports as I have no idea about ports and that sort of thing :confused: .
Thanks again
Marky

Styno
21-03-2005, 14:45
Take a look at the newest firmware from Oleg (1.9.2.7 CR4), it has a different view on bandwith management (A better one IMHO) then older firmwares.

If you need more control then is offered in the webinterface, try the Wondershaper script (Tip: search this forum). Note: you need to have/aquire some skills for using/changing Wondershaper though...

markyap73
22-03-2005, 09:35
Thanks Styno. I've used Oleg 1.9.2.7 CR4 and played with the bandwidth management but to no luck, I'm still getting pings of 300+ when online while playing fps and while my daughter is on Skype. I've used a lagometer on Return to Castle Wolf and it shows that my download for IP address (192.168.1.x) is not bad but the upload is just sky high (& a fps of 35). I have no idea what port number to put in (or how to find it) for upload policy so my pc have priorty on upload.

I've looked through here for wondershaper and I will admit, I have no idea where or how to start.
Cheers
Marky

Styno
22-03-2005, 09:56
Yeah, well, QoS is a complex matter. The webinterface seems simple but the principles beneith it are not.

You are right when you say the download is not the problem here. There is often losts of bandwith and as long as you don't download large files from fast servers there is no problem on that side. So your problem is in the upstream:
- Castle Wolfenstein which is a FPS -> all packets should be 'upped' as quickly as possible.
- Skype which is a VOIP application -> all packets should be 'upped' as quickly as possible.

Do you see the conflict here? When the combined bandwith of Skype and Castle Wolfenstein approach your maximum upstream speed, there will be a problem.

Simple solution: If you pay for the bills then you tell your daughter to use MSN (without voice ofcourse) instead. Hmmm, on second thought this might prove to be the most complex option of all ;)

Less simple: Find a setting in Skype to use less bandwith (lower voice quality).

Complex: Try setting up QoS with webinterface. Here we have two options:
a) Put Skype in a low priority queue or,
b) Put Castle Wolfenstein in a high priority queue.

It seems to me that option b is the easiest. Find (with Google) which ports are used for Castle Wolfenstein and place those ports in the high priority queue and Bob's your uncle mate!

More complex: Read-up into Wondershaper and start fidling with that.
This option gives you the most control but it requires quite a few hours to understand. It took me three evenings to create my own Wondershaper which worked perfectly with America's Army (FPS) while downloading, uploading and browsing at the same time...

markyap73
22-03-2005, 10:23
You're right about option B mate, I go for that one. Trying to get my daughter to use MSN without voice.... I've got no chance ;) .

I'll try using the Wolf ports (which if I remeber correctly, the server I log on to uses 27960). I was under the impression I put the upload port my pc uses in the upload policy... Oops (so I need to put in download policy, their server IP & port number, max and mins. Then in upload, just their upload port, max and mins??)

Also I'll have a look to see if I can reduce her quality on Skype, no harm in trying. But at the same time I'll see if I can get my head around setting up QoS and set wolfenstein as high priority.
Thank you for your help.
:D

Styno
22-03-2005, 12:23
I read in another thread that you have only 25 - 35 kbps upstream. That's barely enough for playing the game without anything else. Trying to get Skype running at the same time AND still maintain a low ping.....well....I don't believe in that fairytail.

Gaming alone will require around 10 - 15 kbps.

markyap73
22-03-2005, 12:32
Oh.... didn't know that. Thanks for that, I think I'll be getting touch with AOL as they don't have a capping on their 1M broadband. Thanks though for your help. As the saying goes, you live and learn :D
I couldn't give a toss if I slow her Skype down, so how about if her skype takes second best? How do I go about doing that??
Sorry to bother you guys

markyap73
14-01-2006, 15:38
Hi all,
I hope you had a good new year??
My lad has started gaming online (Half-Life, ET, RtCW and Team Fortress). What is a good upload/download limit for 3 pc's? PC a & b are for gaming, pc c is skpe & chatting. PC a & b have priority over c. I have a 2Mb service from NTHell.
If pc a & b have a static IP address, do I put their IP address in the bandwidth mngt or the server address which a & b are connecting too??

Sorry to be a pain in the arse.
Cheers :D

rej
26-01-2006, 18:39
Hi there,

Complex: Try setting up QoS with webinterface. Here we have two options:
a) Put Skype in a low priority queue or,
b) Put Castle Wolfenstein in a high priority queue.

I am using SW version 1.9.2.7-7b and I can't see anywhere in the webinterface the posibility to prioritize the ports. Where is that done?

BR,
René