PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Would it be possible to implement wondershaper?

Snigel
22-03-2004, 22:45
I have big problems with download speeds and ping while uploading. Wondershaper can fix these problems. WL-500g would be great if it could run this, is it possible to implement in firmware?

Or making it able to run from usb-memory.

Snigel
22-03-2004, 23:03
I forgot the link.

Wondershaper (http://lartc.org/wondershaper/)

I'm not good at all with linux. But it seems like this is just a script of somekind, I hope the router got everything the script wants. The script asks for bash, which we don't got. But it doesn't look like a big problem or? I don't know. Would be very kind if someone looked on it. It can do miracles with my bandwidth.

Booster
22-03-2004, 23:34
I guess that in theory it is possible to add wondershaper, BUT, it requires a kernel with extra options.

As far as I know, Asus is witholding the kernel source they're using, so we can't recompile it yet.

What wondershaper does, is using a few rules for the Linux firewall (and extra 'add-on' modules like 'fair queueing') to reduce the 'waiting queue' for important data packets.
This reduces network latency to the minimum.

I'm VERY interested in adding this feature as well, because I believe it would make the WL-500G the first affordable router with packet shaping options. (which is GREAT!)

Snigel
22-03-2004, 23:37
I'm running a game-server. But when more people join, the demands for upload rises. When upload rises the ping rises, and then it's totally unplayable. Not good.

Oleg
23-03-2004, 07:02
Originally posted by Booster

As far as I know, Asus is witholding the kernel source they're using, so we can't recompile it yet.

No, we can do that. Kernel itself is build on the stock broadcom sources. I've already posted the patches for building the kernel from wrt54g sources.

Booster
23-03-2004, 10:51
Ah, then I was wrong after all. ;)

So what you're actually saying is that implenting wondershaper is more a matter of the kernel becoming too large when fair-queueing (and etc) is compiled?

Oleg
23-03-2004, 11:07
But if you need kernel for 1.7.x.x series - you need to make it from v2 wrt54g/wap54g sources.

Snigel
23-03-2004, 14:28
The problem is that my skills in this area are close to zero. I have no clue what to do. Is it hard for you that is familiar with this? Would be very nice if you or someone else could help me out.

Booster
23-03-2004, 15:00
As soon as I've got my Linux box back, I'll start making custom firmware. Trouble is, it'll take a while before my box is back ;)

Snigel
23-03-2004, 15:29
Oh, that was too bad. You can't get a shell or something until then?

Snigel
24-03-2004, 12:45
What a dream, the new firmware with wondershaper, Oleg, can't you try anything out?

frodik
28-03-2004, 02:06
Well, people. I finally got some time for my linux games and I finally got WORKING firmware with support for QoS, HTB shaping and counting network traffic. I will test it in few days and if it works I will post it here. But USB flash disk is needed due to staticly linked binaries that are about 20MB. Big THANKS goes to Oleg, who is the king ! His help was really great !!!

Technik
28-03-2004, 11:15
Originally posted by frodik
Well, people. I finally got some time for my linux games and I finally got WORKING firmware with support for QoS, HTB shaping and counting network traffic. I will test it in few days and if it works I will post it here. But USB flash disk is needed due to staticly linked binaries that are about 20MB. Big THANKS goes to Oleg, who is the king ! His help was really great !!!
I am really hungry to test it! :)
Just a few short questions - is it based on 1.7.5.6 firmware? Does WL module support client mode (AP=0)? Is there also SSH support included? What will be the limitation without USB flash disk - will it ever work?
Thanks for your effort! :)

Snigel
28-03-2004, 13:18
I just have 16mb usb, I hope there will be a possibility to squeeze down a bit, or remove some things, for example is QoS really needed?

Antiloop
28-03-2004, 16:57

could you pack the shit? and mail it to me.. ( forum@chupa.nl ) size doesn't matter..

or publish it somewhere.. :)

Oleg
28-03-2004, 19:45
But USB flash disk is needed due to staticly linked binaries that are about 20MB.
Good job. Have you stripped the executables? Also, don't know what you've used finally - uclibc/glibc?

Snigel
29-03-2004, 23:17
Nice to see that this is having at least some progress. Hope you post your customized firmware soon :)

Technik
30-03-2004, 00:49
Big THANKS goes to Oleg, who is the king ! His help was really great !!!
Well I totally agree with this. But I feel that big THANKS should go to Antiloop as well - at least for creating and continuous enhancing of this great forum. :)

BTW, is not there any visible slowdown (performance degradation or ranom delays) when the QoS, traffic counters and all other options are active? I am afraid of program code transfers via USB 1.1 interface which is not so fast...

Antiloop
31-03-2004, 08:50
maybe some interresting links about QoS/WonderShaper

http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1008&sid=461718857cfca5ec1817e5562705b938

http://sveasoft.cyberemail.org/index.php?pagename=SV-Administration-Management-BandwidthManagement

http://members.cox.net/wrt54g/

note: used in the Linksys WRT54g

Snigel
01-04-2004, 10:12
Is there any easy way that makes me able using wrt54g files or must they be recompiled for wl-500g? I really need this but my linux knowledge is very limited.

pekr
22-06-2004, 00:56

Frodik,
is there anything new about QoS? Did You post Your firmware somewhere?

Snigel
25-06-2004, 03:14
It seems that the interest for this died :/
Wondershaper is really interesting for anyone on dsl though.

Technik
26-06-2004, 16:37
It seems that the interest for this died :/
Wondershaper is really interesting for anyone on dsl though.
What about OpenWRT project? AFAIK there are some good implementations for WL-500b/g yet...
Look at:
http://www.bud-net.org/soft/asus/OpenWRT_WL500_mod/
http://puma.spojovaci.net/~jaha2x/wl500/openwrt/

Snigel
26-06-2004, 18:37
Interesting, where to find documentation? The readme I saw was not in English. But is it integrated in openwrt as default? Anyone tried it with success?

Technik
26-06-2004, 20:03
Well, the documentation (if ever exists) is in Czech language only at the moment... Perhaps you can ask Authors for some additional information. AFAIK both are registered in this forum... ;)

Snigel
26-06-2004, 20:22
Tried to understand as good as possible from the Czech readme.txt, I couldn't find anything about Wondershaper. Is there something similar there or do I have to add manual?

edit: looked through some packages until I found this one:
http://oceano.valenciawireless.net/ipkg/Packages
It has wondershaper.