PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Firmware v1.9.2.7 CR4 [Oleg]

Oleg
15-03-2005, 15:25
New long awaited firmware available for download (http://oleg.wl500g.info/1.9.2.7-4/): http://files.wl500g.info/asus/custom/oleg/1.9.2.7-4/
Please note, that it still uses the same Wi-Fi driver as other 1.9.2.7 firmwares, so you could have some instability with it. It's also idea to visit this page (http://oleg.wl500g.info/) if you've questions.

Anyway, here it goes:

First publically available firmware with LZMA compressed kernel
Fixed bug in the stupid-ftpd code, which prevented NTFS files to be downloaded
Fixed Telstra Bigpond support (including auto auth server selection)
Updated dropbear to 0.45, fixed several scp related problems
Included nfs server functionality (web integrated)
Several new busybox applets added, including support for mounting nfs shares
Fixed a bug, which is prevented to work client mode when SSID contains spaces
Added support for PPTP configuration when PPTP server is located in the different net: use default gateway field to specify gateway address and "Hearbeat server" field to specify PPTP server address
Removed debug output from the kernel PPTP/GRE modules and lowered loglevel for PPTP client
Added several new iptables targets, including REDIRECT
WL-HDD should now mount ide disk automagically, as well as any other units with extenal rootfs
Added a support for /usr/local/sbin/post-mount script (it's launched once external drives are get mounted, consider moving dependent stuff from post-boot)
Added color support in the rcamd refresh mode (thanks to benlau for patch)
Added basic IPv6 support (tunneled and static IP address mode) (thanks to phedny for patch)
Update uClibc toolchain to enable RPC and IPv6 support
Added support for installable packages (thanks to Rod Whitby for help)
Replaced both trx and addver binaries with modified openwrt trx (thanks to Kitsok for helping)
Basic Microsoft MN-700 support

P.S. Installable package feature still needs to be documented. :) The keyword is ipkg.

Styno
15-03-2005, 15:32
Thanks Oleg! Great work as usual, lots of fixes and new stuff.

Would there be enough free space available with the current use of LZMA compression for exchanging stupid-ftp with vsftpd?

Oleg
15-03-2005, 15:37
Thanks Oleg! Great work as usual, lots of fixes and new stuff.

Would there be enough free space available with the current use of LZMA compression for exchanging stupid-ftp with vsftpd?
Well, actually this space is now used by nfs and ipv6 stuff. Anyway, we still have free space and vsftpd could fit to it. The only problem is that vsftpd requires slightly different users concept, which does not applies very well with current stupid-ftpd...

Styno
15-03-2005, 15:40
The only problem is that vsftpd requires slightly different users concept, which does not applies very well with current stupid-ftpd...
This could be overcome by replacing the FTP config page in the webinterface with a new one specifically for vsftpd, right? How much efford would that take?

Oleg
15-03-2005, 15:43
This could be overcome by replacing the FTP config page in the webinterface with a new one specifically for vsftpd, right? How much efford would that take?
I have no idea, as I have not checked this carefully yet.

hugo
15-03-2005, 16:20
Does this mean we can use any openwrt package on the wl-hdd? This is the greatest news of the day then!

Oleg
15-03-2005, 16:37
Does this mean we can use any openwrt package on the wl-hdd? This is the greatest news of the day then!
No, as they use different fs layout. I've compiled several packages (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/unslung/) from the nslu2-linux.org site, they've them in the unslung firmware.

hugo
15-03-2005, 16:43
So basicaly we still have a binary/lib difference between the packages, and we still have to compile them? or can we run the binary directly if set up on correct folders?

Oleg
15-03-2005, 16:47
So basicaly we still have a binary/lib difference between the packages, and we still have to compile them? or can we run the binary directly if set up on correct folders?
You could run openwrt binaries as well. For this to work you need to make chroot environment, i.e. mount openwrt rootfs and chroot to it. That's all. You should be able to use most of the openwrt packages after that.

hugo
15-03-2005, 16:49
maybe a small bug?

[admin@wl-hdd bin]$ ipkg.sh update
mkdir: Cannot create directory `/opt/lib/': Read-only file system

hugo
15-03-2005, 16:51
You could run openwrt binaries as well. For this to work you need to make chroot environment, i.e. mount openwrt rootfs and chroot to it. That's all. You should be able to use most of the openwrt packages after that.

I never though about it, even if I'm doing this with debian for month now. I'm going to trash me for a few minute out of shame :(

Oleg
15-03-2005, 16:58
maybe a small bug?

[admin@wl-hdd bin]$ ipkg.sh update
mkdir: Cannot create directory `/opt/lib/': Read-only file system
No, this is not a bug, you will need to mount /opt first. BTW, small example for FAT16/32 users is follows:

# create 64M file on the harddisk
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/harddisk/opt.ext3 bs=1048576 count=64
# make an ext3 fs on it (answer yes when asked)
mke2fs -j /tmp/harddisk/opt.ext3
# mount it
mount -text3 -oloop,noatime /tmp/harddisk/opt.ext3 /opt

You now have 64M /opt for packages. Add this line to post-mount to mount it on startup

#!/bin/sh

installing packages (install real ipkg first):

ipkg.sh update
ipkg.sh install ipkg

Once done:

echo "src unslung http://wl500g.dyndns.org/unslung" >> /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
ipkg update
ipkg list

hugo
15-03-2005, 17:01
Must I use a loop filesystem, or can I directly use my HD ext3 partition? Any performance issue?

Oleg
15-03-2005, 17:12
Must I use a loop filesystem, or can I directly use my HD ext3 partition? Any performance issue?
The above sample is for ones, which are willing to use FAT filesystem. Mounting separate partition is much better than a loop. BTW, if you use rootfs, then mount is optional, as /opt is writable.

hugo
15-03-2005, 17:17
Work like a charm on my Wl-hdd. Thanks for all this Oleg.

BTW, if I use your sample post-firewall script, but then disable firewall in web page, then the wl will lock on reading the post-firewall script. I guess I have to think about removing it first, but it might stuck a begginer.

kfaessen
15-03-2005, 20:26
Wow with IPv6 support GREAT!!! but how do I set it up properly?

My isp supports the IPv6 network but I don't know how to setup the addresses (because they are unknown to me)

My other Windows 2003 machine is directly connected to the internet and can ping directly without a tunnel to an IPv6 address and even open IPv6 websites so i'm sure my ISP supports it.

Anyone who can help me setting it up in my network?

rwhitby
15-03-2005, 22:05
Added support for installable packages (thanks to Rod Whitby for help)
P.S. Installable package feature is still need to be documented. :) The keyword is ipkg.

Note that www.nslu2-linux.org has 276 packages (growing every day), and 92 of them build out-of-the-box for uClibC on the wl500g.

See http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/unstable/Packages for the complete list (not all of them will compile for uClibC - the nslu2 is glibc-based).

Kergoth (the OpenEmbedded maintainer) has also added uClibC 0.9.19 support for us, which should make quite a few of the 2000 or so OpenEmbedded packages available for the wl500g too. I will be adding an "asusoe" distribution for the "wl500g" machine to OpenEmbedded in the next couple of days.

-- Rod

tomilius
16-03-2005, 01:20
Nice work! Excellent! If only I had a flash disk... To attempt to test free-radius, I just created a 2mb ext3 file in RAM following your instructions but with a count of 2...

"ipkg.sh update" tells me http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg/Packages is a 404, as does my browser...

rwhitby
16-03-2005, 01:32
Nice work! Excellent! If only I had a flash disk... To attempt to test free-radius, I just created a 2mb ext3 file in RAM following your instructions but with a count of 2...

"ipkg.sh update" tells me http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg/Packages is a 404, as does my browser...

Seems that Oleg put the files in wl500g.dyndns.org/ipk instead of wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg (note the 'g' on the end).

Oleg, can you move the files on the server from the ipk directory to a new ipkg directory ? It should be called ipkg cause that's what everyone else calls it :-)

-- Rod

tomilius
16-03-2005, 01:46
I think I'll also mention, though this goes without saying by now (and you, Oleg, state that the WiFi driver is the same), that wireless issues are still present in this version (judging by my Event Log).

max2950
16-03-2005, 07:54
Oleg why don't you try to get a job at Asus? You're doing great things !

Silver (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1823) in the Custom Developpment section posted smaller images to gain space, would this be worth?

elpaso
16-03-2005, 09:15
Hi,

I've successfully flashed the new firmware on my WL-HDD, but now the "old" root filesystem on my HDD is still mounted as root filesystem: how to copy the new root filesystem over the old one?

How can I mount the new filesystem from the new firmware and copy the files?

I tried mount /dev/root /sq -t squashfs but I get a permission denied message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

petgun
16-03-2005, 10:08
hi,
work like a charm on my Wl-hdd. Thanks for all this Oleg.
Only two problems: files larger 2 GB become invisible browsing with Samba/CIFS or FTP and the NFS r/w buffers are limited to 8192...i think there will be a little performance boost if i can use 32768.

cu,
peter

mr0mega
16-03-2005, 20:36
Hi,

Just flashed my router with this firmware in the hope of making my storage of files on my usb disk in both windows and mac a more enjoyable task than FTPing :)

However, I have come accross some problems:

Samba: By the look of it I have to change some settings 'in' my router, how can I go about activating this, and using it in win/mac

NFS: This looks more complete than Samba, however whenever I try to connect I get access denied, so I try to do it using my router user and password and it still fails..is this correct?

mount admin:admin@192.168.1.1:/usb /Mount

where I added usb as one of the exported names

Thank you very much in advance, hopefully I can use the shared usb disk to it's potential :D

Oleg
16-03-2005, 21:13
Seems that Oleg put the files in wl500g.dyndns.org/ipk instead of wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg (note the 'g' on the end).

Oleg, can you move the files on the server from the ipk directory to a new ipkg directory ? It should be called ipkg cause that's what everyone else calls it :-)

-- Rod
Sure, moved them. It should work now. :)

Oleg
16-03-2005, 21:15
Hi,

I've successfully flashed the new firmware on my WL-HDD, but now the "old" root filesystem on my HDD is still mounted as root filesystem: how to copy the new root filesystem over the old one?

How can I mount the new filesystem from the new firmware and copy the files?

I tried mount /dev/root /sq -t squashfs but I get a permission denied message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rmdir /mnt
reboot

Once rebooted it should not mount rootfs and you should follow original instructions.

Oleg
16-03-2005, 21:16
hi,
work like a charm on my Wl-hdd. Thanks for all this Oleg.
Only two problems: files larger 2 GB become invisible browsing with Samba/CIFS or FTP and the NFS r/w buffers are limited to 8192...i think there will be a little performance boost if i can use 32768.

cu,
peter
Have you tried rsize and wsize mounting options?

Oleg
16-03-2005, 21:20
Samba: By the look of it I have to change some settings 'in' my router, how can I go about activating this, and using it in win/mac

Nothing except specifying LAN host name and enabling samba.

NFS: This looks more complete than Samba, however whenever I try to connect I get access denied, so I try to do it using my router user and password and it still fails..is this correct?

mount admin:admin@192.168.1.1:/usb /Mount

Nfs does not use usernames concept at all. So the right command should be as simmple as this:

mount -tnfs 192.168.1.1:/tmp/harddisk /Mount

Also, you need to be sure, that directory /usb exists on the router or you've used appropriate options in the exports to map /usb to something really present. Did you?

mr0mega
16-03-2005, 22:06
Hi,

Thanks for answering my questions, I have enabled NFS, and created two folders on my usb disk, any directory specified in the mount command gives me this error:

John-Yourens-Computer:~ johnyouren$ mount -tnfs 192.168.1.1:/usb /Mount
mount_nfs: can't access /usb: Permission denied

The same with your example:

John-Yourens-Computer:~ johnyouren$ mount -tnfs 192.168.1.1:/tmp/harddisk /Mount
mount_nfs: can't access /tmp/harddisk: Permission denied

I will restart my mac, and see if I have any look with SAMBA :)

Also, I cannot get my mac to print, if I use RAW printing there is no way of specifing the port to use, and so that doesn't work.

If I set to LPR, it still won't print, even though it seems to send the data to the router.

If you have any ideas I would be more than happy to try them.

Thanks!

mr0mega
16-03-2005, 22:20
ok, update

on my usb disk there are two folders called Disk and usb, in the nfs section of the settings I added:

/disk
/usb

Now, when I reference these files I get

John-Yourens-Computer:~ johnyouren$ mount -tnfs 192.168.1.1:/disk /Mount
mount_nfs: can't access /disk: Permission denied
mount_nfs: can't access /disk: No such file or directory

it seems to flip between permission denied and no such file or directory :S

Also, if I type

smb://192.168.1.1

in my 'Go To Server' box on my mac it won't connect :(

petgun
17-03-2005, 07:34
hi,

Have you tried rsize and wsize mounting options?
yes

cu,
peter

elpaso
17-03-2005, 09:01
rmdir /mnt
reboot

Once rebooted it should not mount rootfs and you should follow original instructions.

Thanks oleg, it worked perfectly :)

I'm now trying to install packages (gift) from unslung, but there is a libc issue:

[admin@wl /root]$ gift-setup
-sh: gift-setup: not found
[admin@wl /root]$ giftd
giftd: linked against GNU libc!
Should I install other libs to run this packages?
Are thy meant to run in chroot?

Oleg
17-03-2005, 09:05
hi,

yes

cu,
peter
So, what? Buffer size is controlled by client, not server, so rsize and wsize controls that. Is not it?

Oleg
17-03-2005, 09:06
Thanks oleg, it worked perfectly :)

I'm now trying to install packages (gift) from unslung, but there is a libc issue:

[admin@wl /root]$ gift-setup
-sh: gift-setup: not found
[admin@wl /root]$ giftd
giftd: linked against GNU libc!
Should I install other libs to run this packages?
Are thy meant to run in chroot?
Well, looks like gift build is broken then. :) Unslung packages are not tested at the moment. Someone should take care of this.

Oleg
17-03-2005, 09:08
I will restart my mac, and see if I have any look with SAMBA :)

It appears, that MAC requires support for CIFS, which is not supported by this Samba version.

Oleg
17-03-2005, 09:13
ok, update

on my usb disk there are two folders called Disk and usb, in the nfs section of the settings I added:

/disk
/usb

Now, when I reference these files I get

mount_nfs: can't access /disk: Permission denied
mount_nfs: can't access /disk: No such file or directory

it seems to flip between permission denied and no such file or directory :S

Also, if I type

smb://192.168.1.1

in my 'Go To Server' box on my mac it won't connect :(
You need to setup exports in the right way. Start reading /etc/exports man page. Every line in the exports list should be valid line for the /etc/exports, as it's copied directly. For simple setup you could use this single entry:

/tmp/harddisk 192.168.1.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)

This will export your storage to all clients on the LAN.
You could then mount it like this:

mount -tnfs -orsize=32768,wsize=32768 192.168.1.1:/tmp/harddisk /mount_point

petgun
17-03-2005, 09:54
So, what? Buffer size is controlled by client, not server, so rsize and wsize controls that. Is not it?
..my client is a DBox2 and I changed rsize/wsize > 8192 without any success...'mount' always shows 8192...smaller is possible but not > 8192

What do you say to the invisible files > 2GB?

Oleg
17-03-2005, 10:09
..my client is a DBox2 and I changed rsize/wsize > 8192 without any success...'mount' always shows 8192...smaller is possible but not > 8192

This seems to be a limitation of the current kernel/daemon:

/*
* Maximum blocksize supported by daemon currently at 8K
*/
#define NFSSVC_MAXBLKSIZE 8192

Oleg
17-03-2005, 10:10
Do you've this with samba/ftp only?

petgun
17-03-2005, 11:05
hi,

yes

will you change the rsize/wsize limitation of the current kernel/daemon in an upcoming Version of your brilliant Firmware?

cu,
peter

Oleg
17-03-2005, 11:21
hi,

yes

they do not support large files.

will you change the rsize/wsize limitation of the current kernel/daemon in an upcoming Version of your brilliant Firmware?

Probably, but I need to check on this first.

petgun
17-03-2005, 11:29
they do not support large files.
..Samba? It was ok with the JOCKYW2001 and original WL-HDD Firmware.

Probably, but I need to check on this first.

thank you! I'm sure there will be a little performance boost in r/w speed

cu,
peter

JOCKYW2001
17-03-2005, 15:42
This seems to be a limitation of the current kernel/daemon:

/*
* Maximum blocksize supported by daemon currently at 8K
*/
#define NFSSVC_MAXBLKSIZE 8192

yes, set it to 32768, it normally won't cause any prob

concerning the samba >2GB prob, what samba version did you build?

kfaessen
17-03-2005, 17:04

You can try to format the drive as another filesystem. I guess you've formatted it as fat32. Because this is a limitation of fat32, depends on how the system uses integers the limit per file can be 2Gb (if the system uses signed integers) or 4Gb (if the system uses unsigned integers). NTFS or linux file system should solve this problem.

petgun
17-03-2005, 17:45
You can try to format the drive as another filesystem. I guess you've formatted it as fat32..
no, it's ext3 formatted!

cu,
peter

kfaessen
17-03-2005, 18:01
no, it's ext3 formatted!

cu,
peter
Then I don't have a solution for your problem sorry

Styno
17-03-2005, 18:19
Just nagging a bit:
If you change the NFS setting both radio buttons are selected, see my attachment.

Also Oleg, can you add some info in the webpage in upcoming firmwares on what should be filled in the Export line?

wiz
17-03-2005, 18:20
wow, just updated to this firmware.

works nicely here. Thanks Oleg for this masterpiece!

wiz
17-03-2005, 18:25
One little thing though, syslog is filled with this:

Mar 17 19:24:29 kernel: printer.c: usblp0 Device ID string [102/max 1552]='MFG:Canon;CMD:BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe;SOJ:TXT01;MDL: iP2000;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Canon iP2000;VER:1.04;STA:10;'
Mar 17 19:24:29 kernel: printer.c: Parsing USBLPID...
Mar 17 19:25:12 kernel: printer.c: usblp0 Device ID string [102/max 1552]='MFG:Canon;CMD:BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe;SOJ:TXT01;MDL: iP2000;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Canon iP2000;VER:1.04;STA:20;'
Mar 17 19:25:12 kernel: printer.c: Parsing USBLPID...
Mar 17 19:25:15 kernel: printer.c: usblp0 Device ID string [102/max 1552]='MFG:Canon;CMD:BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe;SOJ:TXT01;MDL: iP2000;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Canon iP2000;VER:1.04;STA:20;'
Mar 17 19:25:15 kernel: printer.c: Parsing USBLPID...
Mar 17 19:25:15 kernel: printer.c: usblp0 Device ID string [102/max 1552]='MFG:Canon;CMD:BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe;SOJ:TXT01;MDL: iP2000;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Canon iP2000;VER:1.04;STA:20;'
Mar 17 19:25:15 kernel: printer.c: Parsing USBLPID...
Mar 17 19:25:18 kernel: printer.c: usblp0 Device ID string [102/max 1552]='MFG:Canon;CMD:BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe;SOJ:TXT01;MDL: iP2000;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Canon iP2000;VER:1.04;STA:10;'
Mar 17 19:25:18 kernel: printer.c: Parsing USBLPID...
Mar 17 19:34:32 kernel: printer.c: usblp0 Device ID string [102/max 1552]='MFG:Canon;CMD:BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe;SOJ:TXT01;MDL: iP2000;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Canon iP2000;VER:1.04;STA:20;'
Mar 17 19:34:32 kernel: printer.c: Parsing USBLPID...

somehow it keeps on going with the usblpid of my printer. Any way how to stop this (without pulling the plug on the printer :D ) ?

Hmmz, it seemed to come to a halt with all this now..., no more entries so far. wierd.

mr0mega
17-03-2005, 19:19
Hi,

I followed your NFS guide and found that I got closer, but still not close enough. Running the following command

John-Yourens-Computer:~ johnyouren$ mount -tnfs -orsize=32768,wsize=32768 192.168.1.1:/tmp/harddisk nfs
mount_nfs: /Users/johnyouren/nfs: Operation not permitted

gives me the error shown, I have search the internet and it looks like it is related to this (http://lists.apple.com/archives/mklinux-users/2001/Nov/msg00020.html) problem.

If you could look into this I would be very grateful!

petgun
17-03-2005, 19:26
Just nagging a bit:
Also Oleg, can you add some info in the webpage in upcoming firmwares on what should be filled in the Export line?

;-) I think that is not very easy...what do you think about:

The /etc/exports file
The /etc/exports file is the NFS server configuration file for Linux systems. It controls which files and directories are exported, which hosts can access them, and what kinds of access are allowed. A sample /etc/exports file might contain these entries:

/usr/man crab(rw) horseshoe(rw) (ro)
/usr/local (ro)
/home/research rodent(rw) crab(rw) horseshoe(rw) jerboas(rw)

This sample file says that:

/usr/man can be mounted by any client, but it can be written to only by crab and horseshoe. Other clients have read-only access.

/usr/local can be mounted by any client, with read-only access.

/home/research can be mounted only by the hosts rodent, crab, horseshoe, and jerboas. These four hosts have read/write access.

The options used in each of the entries in the /etc/exports file determine what kinds of access are allowed. The information derived from the sample file is based on the options specified on each line in the file. The general format of the entries is as follows:

directory [host(option)]...

directory names the directory or file that is available for export. The host is the name of the client granted access to the exported directory, while the option specifies the type of access being granted.

In the sample /etc/exports file shown above, the host value is either the name of a single client or it is blank. When a single hostname is used, access is granted to the individual client. If no host value is specified, the directory is exported to everyone. Like Solaris, Linux also accepts values for domains, networks, and netgroups, although the syntax is slightly different. Valid host values are:

Individual hostnames such as crab or crab.wrotethebook.com.

Domain wildcards such as *wrotethebook.com for every host in the wrotethebook.com domain.

IP address/address mask pairs such as 172.16.12.0/255.255.255.0 for every host with an address that begins with 172.16.12.

Net groups such as @group1.

Notice that in Linux, domain names begin with an asterisk (*), instead of the dot used in Solaris. Also note that the at-sign begins a netgroup name, whereas in Solaris the at-sign is used at the beginning of a network address.

The options used in the sample /etc/exports file are:

ro
Read-only prevents NFS clients from writing to this directory. Attempts by clients to write to a read-only directory fail with the message "Read-only filesystem" or "Permission denied." If ro is specified without a client hostname, all clients are granted read-only access.

rw
Read/write permits clients to read and write to this directory. When specified without hostname, all clients are granted read/write access. If a hostname is specified, only the named host is given read/write permission.

Although specific hosts are granted read/write access to some of these directories, the access granted to individual users of those systems is controlled by standard Unix user, group, and world file permissions based on the user's user ID (UID) and group ID (GID). NFS trusts that a remote host has authenticated its users and assigned them valid UIDs and GIDs. Exporting files grants the client system's users the same access to the files they would have if they directly logged into the server. This assumes, of course, that both the client and the server have assigned exactly the same UIDs and GIDs to the same users, which is not always the case. If both the client and the server assign the same UID to a given user, for example, if Craig is assigned 501 on both systems, then both systems properly identify Craig and grant him appropriate access to his files. On the other hand, if the client assigns Craig a UID of 501 and the server has assigned that UID to Michael, the server will grant Craig access to Michael's files as if Craig owned those files. NFS provides several tools to deal with the problems that arise because of mismatched UIDs and GIDs.

One obvious problem is dealing with the root account. It is very unlikely that you want people with root access to your clients to also have root access to your server. By default, NFS prevents this with the root_squash setting, which maps requests that contain the root UID and GID to the nobody UID and GID. Thus if someone is logged into a client as root, they are only granted world permissions on the server. You can undo this with the no_root_squash setting, but no_root_squash opens a potential security hole.

Map other UIDs and GIDs to nobody with the squash_uids, squash_gids, and all_squash options. all_squash maps every user of a client system to the user nobody. squash_uids and squash_gids map specific UIDs and GIDs. For example:

/pub (ro,all_squash)
/usr/local/pub (squash_uids=0-50,squash_gids=0-50)

The first entry exports the /pub directory with read-only access to every client. It limits every user of those clients to the world permissions granted to nobody, meaning that the only files the users can read are those that have world read permission.

The second entry exports /usr/local/pub to every client with default read/write permission. The squash_uid and squash_gid options in the example show that a range of UIDs and GIDs can be specified in some options.[3] A single UID or GID can be defined with these options, but it is frequently useful to affect a range of values with a single command. In the example we prevent users from accessing the directory with a UID or GID that is 50 or less. These low numbers are usually assigned to non-user accounts. For example, on our Linux system, UID 10 is assigned to uucp. Attempting to write a file as uucp would cause the file to be written with the owner mapped to nobody. Thus the user uucp would be able to write to the /usr/local/pub directory only if that directory had world write permission.

It is also possible to map every user from a client to a specific user ID or group ID. The anonuid and anongid options provide this capability. These options are most useful when the client has only one user and does not assign that user a UID or GID, for example, in the case of a Microsoft Windows PC running NFS. PCs generally have only one user and they don't use UIDs or GIDs. To map the user of a PC to a valid user ID and group ID, enter a line like this in the /etc/exports file:

/home/alana giant(all_squash,anonuid=1001,anongid=1001)

In this example, the hostname of Alana's PC is giant. The entry grants that client read/write access to the directory /home/alana. The all_squash option maps every request from that client to a specific UID, but this time, instead of nobody, it maps to the UID and the GID defined by the anonuid and anongid options. Of course, for this to work correctly, 1001:1001 should be the UID and GID pair assigned to alana in the /etc/passwd file.

A single mapping is sufficient for a PC, but it might not handle all of the mapping needed for a Unix client. Unix clients assign their users UIDs and GIDs. Problems occur if those differ from the UIDs and GIDs assigned to those same users on the NFS server. Use the map_static option to point to a file that maps the UIDs and GIDs for a specific client. For example:

/export/oscon oscon(map_static=/etc/nfs/oscon.map)

This entry says that the /export/oscon directory is exported to the client oscon with read/write permission. The map_static option points to a file on the server named /etc/nfs/oscon.map that maps the UIDs and GIDs used on oscon to those used on the server. The oscon.map file might contain the following entries:

# UID/GID mapping for client oscon
# remote local comment
uid 0-50 - #squash these
gid 0-50 - #squash these
uid 100-200 1000 #map 100-200 to 1000-1100
gid 100-200 1000 #map 100-200 to 1000-1100
uid 501 2001 #map individual user
gid 501 2001 #map individual user

The first two lines map the UIDs and GIDs from 0 to 50 to the user nobody. The next two lines map all of the client UIDs and GIDs in the range of 100 to 200 to corresponding numbers in the range of 1000 to 1100 on the server. In other words, 105 on the client maps to 1005 on the server. This is the most common type of entry. On most systems, existing UIDs and GIDs have been assigned sequentially. Often, several systems have assigned the UIDs and GIDs sequentially from 101 to different users in a completely uncoordinated manner. This entry maps the users on oscon to UIDs and GIDs starting at 1000. Another file might map the 100 to 200 entries of another client to UIDs and GIDs starting at 2000. A third file might map yet another client to 3000. This type of entry allows the server to coordinate UIDs and GIDs where no coordination exists. The last two lines map an individual user's UID and GID. This is less commonly required, but it is possible.

Oleg
17-03-2005, 20:24
Hi,

I followed your NFS guide and found that I got closer, but still not close enough. Running the following command

John-Yourens-Computer:~ johnyouren$ mount -tnfs -orsize=32768,wsize=32768 192.168.1.1:/tmp/harddisk nfs
mount_nfs: /Users/johnyouren/nfs: Operation not permitted

gives me the error shown, I have search the internet and it looks like it is related to this (http://lists.apple.com/archives/mklinux-users/2001/Nov/msg00020.html) problem.

If you could look into this I would be very grateful!
Well, this is your MAC problem. As I do not have MAC I could not help you. You may probably need to read some MAC NFS related info. Do you've /Users/johnyouren/nfs dir? It't probably makes sense, that mount should be performed by power user (i.e. root, Administrator or whatever you have in MAC OS).

Oleg
17-03-2005, 20:29
Just nagging a bit:
If you change the NFS setting both radio buttons are selected, see my attachment.

Looks like a bug. :)

See above post with sample. For further info visit http://nfs.sf.net, use google, etc for "man exports". I will include minimal info on my page, as I do not want to write yet another NFS How-To.

Styno
17-03-2005, 21:56
See above post with sample. For further info visit http://nfs.sf.net, use google, etc for "man exports". I will include minimal info on my page, as I do not want to write yet another NFS How-To.
Well, mentioning that link would help a lot of people I guess and won't cost you too much time. :D

mullog
18-03-2005, 19:29
Hi I followed your instructions but I get the following error when trying to do
ipkg.sh update

Downloading http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg/Packages ...
wget: //opt/tmp/ipkg/Packages: No such file or directory
ipkg_download: ERROR: Failed to retrieve http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg/Packages, returning
ipkg_update: Error downloading http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg/Packages to /opt/lib/ipkg/lists/wl500g

Any Ideas?
has anyone tested the mt-daapd package? any chance that it would work
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Mt-daapd
and thx for the great work.

#!/bin/sh

installing packages (install real ipkg first):

ipkg.sh update
ipkg.sh install ipkg

Once done:

echo "src unslung http://wl500g.dyndns.org/unslung" >> /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
ipkg update
ipkg list

rwhitby
18-03-2005, 22:10
Downloading http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg/Packages ...
Any Ideas?
has anyone tested the mt-daapd package? any chance that it would work
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Mt-daapd
and thx for the great work.

Add "mkdir -p /opt/tmp/ipkg" to the instructions.

No reason I can think of why mt-daapd won't work ...

-- Rod

int
19-03-2005, 22:00
Oleg

fw 1.9.2.7 CR4 [Oleg]

!!!reboot issue!!!

hobbes
20-03-2005, 14:44
Hi,

just installed this firmware to try and get a webcam to work and try as I might whenever I change the webcam driver from pwc 8.8 to OV511 2.10 and do a save and restart its back to pwc 8.8

the webcam is a trust 150 spacecam portable which I believe needs the OV driver?

I have been unable to do this with any firmware I have tried up to now

hugo
20-03-2005, 15:56
If the cam revert to a PWC driver, it mean it is not properly reconised. You will need to try another webcam, or to get working drivers for it. I think somebody posted drivers for other webcam, but you will have to search for them. Not sure they will work.

hobbes
20-03-2005, 16:40
If the cam revert to a PWC driver, it mean it is not properly reconised. You will need to try another webcam, or to get working drivers for it. I think somebody posted drivers for other webcam, but you will have to search for them. Not sure they will work.

thanks for that, its my first time trying custom firmware so support is most welcome, tried 3 webcams now and i can see in the status log that they are not recognised, don't know if i can afford to buy to many more :)

jbrbv
20-03-2005, 20:37
To share my experiences with you:
On my set of two WL-500g's WDS does work with WPS-PSK and AES (on Channel 11).
Both are in AP mode and one of them is connected to a router.

Wesleyrpg
21-03-2005, 05:13
Have to say that bigpond "heartbeat" is 100% stable.

Now if only asus could import olegs fixes into their firmware.

thanks oleg

P.S. In upcoming firmware.....i'd like to see the following things.....i'm sure this isn't the right place to post it....but here it is anyway! Do you think any of these things is likely/possible???

1.. OoB packets support (Currently the WL500g ignores them)
2.. QoS support...im about to get VOIP (so this would be helpful)
3.. UPnP ports never closed bug fixed....annoying and a security hole

WlanMan
21-03-2005, 10:36
Hi

thanks for that, its my first time trying custom firmware so support is most welcome, tried 3 webcams now and i can see in the status log that they are not recognised, don't know if i can afford to buy to many more :)

You only need to check the Asus Handbook for supported cams. If none fits your needs go into shops near you and see which ones they sell, tehn look up google for the used chipset (ovv5xx or philips). Cheap is the Terracam Pro if you get one, and good are the bigger Logitech ones... or ask ebay ;).

Greets

hugo
21-03-2005, 12:03
Hi

You only need to check the Asus Handbook for supported cams. If none fits your needs go into shops near you and see which ones they sell, tehn look up google for the used chipset (ovv5xx or philips). Cheap is the Terracam Pro if you get one, and good are the bigger Logitech ones... or ask ebay ;).

Greets

Look also for the dedicated tread compatibility in the forum.

hobbes
21-03-2005, 20:38
Hi

Greets

I read the handbook I think that was why I picked the trust :/ maybe i wasn't wearing my glasses that day :)

hobbes
21-03-2005, 20:39
Look also for the dedicated tread compatibility in the forum.

I based my latest purchase on that thread :)

hezik
24-03-2005, 05:04
[about the gift unslung package]

Well, looks like gift build is broken then. :) Unslung packages are not tested at the moment. Someone should take care of this.

giftd doesnt give the 'compiled against libc' (or something like that) error anymore, however it doesn't work either. It complains about me not having run gift-setup, which is correct since gift-setup uses perl..

I have the feeling changing the gift-setup with one that doesn't use perl, or including perl as a package would do the trick.

//edit
It appears perl is not needed, and that the current gift package does contain the correct binary. All that is needed to do to get it to work after using ipkg to install it, is editing the config templates, and copying them to the proper locations.

rwhitby
24-03-2005, 05:19
[Edit: good to hear that gift is now working :-) Kudos to hezik.]

Just to be very clear about these Unslung packages: They were written for, and have been verified on, the Linksys NSLU2 device only. That device is an XScale (armeb) processor (as opposed to the WL500g which is mipsel), and uses Glibc (as opposed to the WL500g which uses uClibc).

"Including Perl as a package" might sound like a simple thing to do, but it took at least three months of significant effort by at least three people in parallel to get Perl compiled and working on the Linksys NSLU2 (we first had to get a native compilation environment working, and then compile all the things you need to compile perl, and then compile perl itself). It would probably take roughly the same amount of time to port it to the WL500g (if it is even possible).

So don't be surprised when a package doesn't work. And don't be surprised if reports of packages (that have not been released into the ipk feed) not working fall upon deaf ears and are not answered :-)

Also, the chance of someone else fixing a package for you is quite small. The wl500g developers will be working on those packages that they individually need, and there is no-one who's job it is to port other packages to the wl500g. We certainly don't want to distract Oleg from producing his fine firmware, so please don't expect him to do it :-)

With that all said, both Oleg and myself welcome patches to the Unslung packages to get them working for the wl500g.

-- Rod

hezik
24-03-2005, 06:01
[Edit: good to hear that gift is now working :-) Kudos to hezik.]

Thanks, but you're thanking the messenger, not the one who created the message :P.. I didn't do anything besides installing it :P So thanks to the unknown fool who repaired it :)

"Including Perl as a package" might sound like a simple thing to do, but it took at least three months of significant effort by at least three people in parallel to get Perl compiled and working on the Linksys NSLU2 (we first had to get a native compilation environment working, and then compile all the things you need to compile perl, and then compile perl itself). It would probably take roughly the same amount of time to port it to the WL500g (if it is even possible).

I didn't mean to ... eh.. 'step on' the effort needed to do such a thing (can't find the proper english term for it). I apologize if i did so.

We certainly don't want to distract Oleg from producing his fine firmware, so please don't expect him to do it :-)

Just don't tell Oleg they even exist, and chain him to his firmware development machine :P

With that all said, both Oleg and myself welcome patches to the Unslung packages to get them working for the wl500g.

Ok, I'm willing to fix the gift package so that it works immediatly after installing it. Before i do that, a question about 'unslung'. Is 'unslung' a fork of a package depot for that linksys device, with the sole purpose to be used for the asus, or is it the linksys depot itself?

rwhitby
24-03-2005, 07:09
I didn't mean to ... eh.. 'step on' the effort needed to do such a thing (can't find the proper english term for it). I apologize if i did so.

No need to apologise - you did not offend anyone. :-)

Just don't tell Oleg they even exist, and chain him to his firmware development machine :P

Too late - Oleg was instrumental in getting the wl500g packages started :-)

Ok, I'm willing to fix the gift package so that it works immediatly after installing it. Before i do that, a question about 'unslung'. Is 'unslung' a fork of a package depot for that linksys device, with the sole purpose to be used for the asus, or is it the linksys depot itself?

The Unslung CVS is meant to be a common source code repository for Unslung packages that started with the NSLU2 and now are designed to be able to support the WL500g too.

wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg is Oleg's offical ipk binary repository for non-Unslung packages. wl500g.dyndns.org/unslung is Oleg's ipk binary repository for Unslung packages. ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung is the nslu2-linux project's ipk binary repository for Unslung packages.

So the source code is meant to be common, but the binary download locations are separate.

-- Rod

Oleg
24-03-2005, 07:57
//edit
It appears perl is not needed, and that the current gift package does contain the correct binary. All that is needed to do to get it to work after using ipkg to install it, is editing the config templates, and copying them to the proper locations.
Well, great! Could you please write a wiki on how to properly configure it?

tomilius
27-03-2005, 08:56
*cough* I'm a little embarrassed, but so far it seems as though this firmware has worked perfectly without that darn MN-710. I still don't know why it had such a bad reaction to 1.9.2.7-based firmwares whereas the WL-138g has shown indifference.

Thanks, Oleg!

dejay
27-03-2005, 13:51
There is a problem with "Idle Disconnect Time" in this firmware, which wasn't in the previous firmware.

When I set the "Idle Disconnect Time" to "0" it told me that it wasn't valid or something like that (did it a few day ago and cant remember) and it wouldn't connect to the internet, but when I set it to 32 000 it started working.

Did anyone else got this error?

mike777
27-03-2005, 14:40
Hello,

I tried Firmware v1.9.2.7 CR4, works well except for one thing. Browsing became much slower.
I tried going back to wg01090207_WL500g_EN.trx and the problem disappeared.

Anything i could do about it? I would like to keep the costum firmware installed but not at the price of slow surfing.

tomilius
27-03-2005, 21:26
mike777, I don't believe I've noticed anything like that...

Try manually setting the first DNS server (in the web administration) to one of your ISP's.

How?
1. Navigate to Status & Log -> Status
2. Take note (/copy) of one of the listed DNS Servers
3. Navigate to IP Config -> DHCP Server
4. Set DNS Server 1 to the DNS server you took note of (/paste)
5. Finish
6. Save & Restart

See if that speeds it up for you.

rwhitby
27-03-2005, 23:26
Note that www.nslu2-linux.org has 276 packages (growing every day ....

I have updated the Unslung CVS repository Makefile so that it is a one-line change to the top-level Makefile (set TARGET=wl500g) to have the packages build for the wl500g instead of the nslu2. There is also a WL500G_PACKAGES variable which lists some packages that have been verified to build (but may not have been tested on the device). The intention is that Oleg will use this variable to identify the packages which get automatically built and uploaded to http://wl500g.dyndns.org/unslung.

Note that the Unslung build system is based upon the openwrt build system, so it should be very easy to also port any openwrt packages to the wl500g.

I have also added an "asusoe" distribution to the OpenEmbedded repository, and made that distro use the Asus toolchain directly. OpenEmbedded (which is the build system for OpenZaurus, and OpenSlug, among others) has over 1000 packages available - who knows how many might build and work on the wl500g?

These are two starting points for package developers for the wl500g ...

-- Rod

Oleg
28-03-2005, 11:16
Rod, thank you for your effort. :)

Jean-Fabrice, you could now try using unslung build system to build wl500g packages. You do not need to wait for Makefile from me anymore. :)

Oleg
28-03-2005, 11:22
There is a problem with "Idle Disconnect Time" in this firmware, which wasn't in the previous firmware.

Nothing is changed if you mean 1.9.2.7-3c. Most likely this due to your settings.

When I set the "Idle Disconnect Time" to "0" it told me that it wasn't valid or something like that (did it a few day ago and cant remember) and it wouldn't connect to the internet, but when I set it to 32 000 it started working.

Did anyone else got this error?
Try again and if it does not work, then please post an output (using telnet session or hidden admin page) for these commands (remove your password as well):

cat /tmp/ppp/options.wan0
nvram get wan_pppoe_idletime
nvram get wan0_pppoe_idletime

Oleg
28-03-2005, 11:24
Hello,

I tried Firmware v1.9.2.7 CR4, works well except for one thing. Browsing became much slower.
I tried going back to wg01090207_WL500g_EN.trx and the problem disappeared.

Anything i could do about it? I would like to keep the costum firmware installed but not at the price of slow surfing.
This is really hard to help you, as I've no idea of your settings (such as connection type, dns servers, etc.) as well, as I've no idea what does "Browsing became much slower" means for you.

Jean-Fabrice
28-03-2005, 19:51
Jean-Fabrice, you could now try using unslung build system to build wl500g packages. You do not need to wait for Makefile from me anymore. :)

I miss this thread... sorry for being late.
Will give a look at unslung build system. As soon as I find how to use it (will search...)
Does asusoe use the last uClibc toolchain you patched ?

Oleg
28-03-2005, 21:06
I miss this thread... sorry for being late.
Will give a look at unslung build system. As soon as I find how to use it (will search...)
Does asusoe use the last uClibc toolchain you patched ?
Ghm... I believe it should use external toolchain (the one which is provided by ASUS and me). Probably Rod could clarify this, as I've not used asusoe yet.

rwhitby
28-03-2005, 21:48
Ghm... I believe it should use external toolchain (the one which is provided by ASUS and me). Probably Rod could clarify this, as I've not used asusoe yet.

Yes, AsusOE uses either the Asus external toolchain, or the one that Oleg distributes (depending on where your /opt/bcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc symlink points).

-- Rod

rwhitby
28-03-2005, 21:52

For Unslung packages: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/AddAPackageToUnslung

For AsusOE: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenEmbedded/HomePage

Note that these pages are written for the NSLU2, but you should be able to work out the changes required to build things for the wl500g if I say the following:

1/ For Unslung, "TARGET = wl500g"

2/ For AsusOE, "MACHINE = wl500g, DISTRO = asusoe"

-- Rod

Jean-Fabrice
28-03-2005, 21:58
Thanks a lot Rod.

CVS and packages development are really new for me, so I'm learning...

I have checkout unslung CVS tree in my colinux and now trying to build a package. Seems to work pretty fine for now...

After building my package in builds/, what should I do ? 'make mypackage-ipk' ? Don't I need a CVS write access before ?

Thanks again.

rwhitby
28-03-2005, 22:12
I have checkout unslung CVS tree in my colinux and now trying to build a package. Seems to work pretty fine for now...

After building my package in builds/, what should I do ? 'make mypackage-ipk' ? Don't I need a CVS write access before ?

Yes. "make <foo>-ipk" will build the ipk file, which you can then scp up to the wl500g and "ipkg install <foo>.ipk" (install from a local file, rather than from an external feed - just give ipkg the full pathname to the local file). You can also setup a local feed - see the "upload" target in the top-level Makefile.

You only need CVS write access to write <foo>.mk and any other files back to the repository. If you attach the make/<foo>.mk and any other sources/<foo>/... files here, I can add them to the Unslung CVS reposoitory for you. Note that the Unslung CVS repository is meant for the NSLU2, and we are re-using it for the WL500g, so I need to check new wl500g packages to make sure they compile on the nslu2 before I add them to the repository.

Most of the users and developers for the Unslung CVS repository can be found in the #nslu2-linux IRC channel on irc.freenode.net - if you need help on developing Unslung packages feel free to ask there. That channel is *not* for end-user help about using pre-compiled Unslung packages on the wl500g - it is a developer-only channel for those who are creating packages (like you are doing).

-- Rod

rwhitby
28-03-2005, 22:13
I have checkout unslung CVS tree in my colinux

BTW, I use CoLinux too :-)

-- Rod

dejay
28-03-2005, 22:50
Here is the output from hdden admin page:

cat /tmp/ppp/options.wan0:

noauth refuse-eap
user '*****'
password '*****'
plugin rp-pppoe.so eth0
mru 1492
mtu 1492
idle demand
defaultroute
persist
ipcp-accept-remote ipcp-accept-local noipdefault
ktune
default-asyncmap nopcomp noaccomp
novj nobsdcomp nodeflate
lcp-echo-interval 10
lcp-echo-failure 6
unit 0

nvram get wan_pppoe_idletime:

it is blank

nvram get wan0_pppoe_idletime:

it is blank

And the system log:

Jan 1 01:00:09 pppd[79]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Jan 1 01:00:09 pppd[79]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.2
Jan 1 01:00:09 pppd[79]: invalid numeric parameter 'demand' for idle option

Oleg
29-03-2005, 09:26
nvram get wan_pppoe_idletime:

it is blank

nvram get wan0_pppoe_idletime:

it is blank

Have you entered anything to the PPP Idle time box? According to this output it's empty...

mike777
29-03-2005, 12:11
mike777, I don't believe I've noticed anything like that...

Try manually setting the first DNS server (in the web administration) to one of your ISP's.

How?
1. Navigate to Status & Log -> Status
2. Take note (/copy) of one of the listed DNS Servers
3. Navigate to IP Config -> DHCP Server
4. Set DNS Server 1 to the DNS server you took note of (/paste)
5. Finish
6. Save & Restart

See if that speeds it up for you.

Thanks, I noticed this slightly improved my browsing with the original firmware but performance was still lousy with the custom firmware. Even downloading a file was about 10 times as slow. :mad: Luckily i figured out why. I had the following settings in Bandwidth Management / Download Policy List: Port 80, Max.(kbps) 128, Min. 96 (kbps). Of course "known bug n. 10" (Bandwidth management page treat rate values as kilobytes, not kilobits) limited the bandwidth heavily on the custom firmware with these settings. Btw, i've put a minimum of 192 and no maximum using the custom firmware and surfing has never been faster, really happy now with the new firmware. :) Thanks!

rwhitby
29-03-2005, 14:53
I have updated the Unslung CVS repository Makefile so that it is a one-line change to the top-level Makefile (set TARGET=wl500g) to have the packages build for the wl500g instead of the nslu2. There is also a WL500G_PACKAGES variable which lists some packages that have been verified to build (but may not have been tested on the device). The intention is that Oleg will use this variable to identify the packages which get automatically built and uploaded to http://wl500g.dyndns.org/unslung.

The Unslung Makefile has been updated with new entries for WL500G_PACKAGES and also another variable for packages that compile but just need a simple (but tedious) fix to emit the correct ipk file.

I have started a separate thread at http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=2036 for discussion about the Unslung/WL500g packages, as from now on they should work with all future versions of Oleg's firmware, not just the version that this thread describes.

-- Rod

Styno
30-03-2005, 20:56
I've been looking everywhere, but I'm curious: Has anybody got a working NFS share working using the Windows services for Unix toolkit (SFU)?

I can see the shared directory's in 'My Network Places' -> 'Entire Network' -> 'Favourite LAN'. When I want to mount it (or just access it), it asks me for a username and password but every username/password I enter is wrong (and yes, I tried the admin user as well)...

Oleg
30-03-2005, 20:59
NFS does not require username/password. The checks and access control are performed by client itself (which is why nfs is considered insecure).

dejay
30-03-2005, 21:55
Have you entered anything to the PPP Idle time box? According to this output it's empty...

Well that seems to be the problem. I did enter a 0, but for some reason it won't save it. This isn't a proflem for me, I enterd 65000 and it should be online all the time :) , but it is still interesting.

Styno
30-03-2005, 21:56
NFS does not require username/password. The checks and access control are performed by client itself (which is why nfs is considered insecure).
Hmm, yes it seems to be: http://wl500g.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=398&stc=1

But when I want to access it, Windows says: http://wl500g.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=399&stc=1

I've got not a clue why... (I am administrator on my computer).

EDIT: Forget this question please, I found out I need to setup some usermapping for SFU.... I'll report later :)

Aiwan
31-03-2005, 13:51
Summary of problem:
Asus is setup as WiFi client,attaches to ISP’s AP, but is not able to send or receive any IP packets on WiFi interface.
LAN ethernet ports are isolated from router inside Asus.
----------------------
Hi,
I tried to setup Asus 500g Deluxe as Wifi client to connect my home LAN to ISP using WiFi. It looks like there is either some bug in gx version or (more probably) there is problem in my setup (typical problem between keyboard and chair). I have some networking experience (Cisco CCIE,CCNP,CCDP) but Asus is new for me. I tested real life connection to ISP and later (after long hours of fight with ASUS) I built testing lab environment to limit ISP's complications (MAC filtering, security filters etc..). My ASUS worked in lab same way as in real life - WiFi connection has been built (my ASUS attached to AP) but there is no possibility to get DHCP reply, there is 0 packets received on WiFi interface from air. Another (very similar) behaviour is on LAN (eth 0.1) ports, it seems that they are only unidirectional ports.

I am sorry if I made some stupid error :confused: in setup but I spent long hours with Asus and I am desperate now. I tried almost everything (different setups, tried all HOWTOs I was able to find) and it does not work as expected.

I described my setup (pictures, screenshots, listings) and my tests as a Word file at http://www.tenzor.cz/surfer/asus/ASUSproblem.doc and I am attaching it to this post.

Could you give me some hint how to make this great router with Oleg's firmware (I like it, really) working in my setup?
Thanks
Ivan

Antiloop
31-03-2005, 14:16
Summary of problem:
Asus is setup as WiFi client,attaches to ISP’s AP, but is not able to send or receive any IP packets on WiFi interface.
LAN ethernet ports are isolated from router inside Asus.
----------------------
Hi,
I tried to setup Asus 500g Deluxe as Wifi client to connect my home LAN to ISP using WiFi. It looks like there is either some bug in gx version or (more probably) there is problem in my setup (typical problem between keyboard and chair). I have some networking experience (Cisco CCIE,CCNP,CCDP) but Asus is new for me. I tested real life connection to ISP and later (after long hours of fight with ASUS) I built testing lab environment to limit ISP's complications (MAC filtering, security filters etc..). My ASUS worked in lab same way as in real life - WiFi connection has been built (my ASUS attached to AP) but there is no possibility to get DHCP reply, there is 0 packets received on WiFi interface from air. Another (very similar) behaviour is on LAN (eth 0.1) ports, it seems that they are only unidirectional ports.

I am sorry if I made some stupid error :confused: in setup but I spent long hours with Asus and I am desperate now. I tried almost everything (different setups, tried all HOWTOs I was able to find) and it does not work as expected.

I described my setup (pictures, screenshots, listings) and my tests as a Word file at http://www.tenzor.cz/surfer/asus/ASUSproblem.doc and I am attaching it to this post.

Could you give me some hint how to make this great router with Oleg's firmware (I like it, really) working in my setup?
Thanks
Ivan
i've not read your .doc file yet
and I'm also not sure if WL500g.Deluxe as Wireless Client works
I will try this asap when I find some time..
(I have the same setup with WL-HDD/WL-500g and 1.9.2.7-3c firmware which works flawless only no encryption is used, so please try 1.9.2.7-3c too if you use no encryption)

Oleg
31-03-2005, 16:01
Thanks
Ivan
Where are you from? If you're from Russia, then PM me. To be honest, client mode was never tested with wl500gx, so LAN port problems could be there.
As for WLAN problem - do you use hex wep keys or passphrases? Passphrases are know to cause problems (as they're mostly vendor specific, unlike WPA-PSK keys), use hex keys only. Also, have you tried using it without WEP at all?
Also, dependening on the peer software it could require either "Shared Key" authentication (like you've specified) or "Open System / Shared Key" (this way key is used for data encryption only).

Oleg
31-03-2005, 16:05
Well that seems to be the problem. I did enter a 0, but for some reason it won't save it. This isn't a proflem for me, I enterd 65000 and it should be online all the time :) , but it is still interesting.
Ok, I will check on this. Thanks.

Styno
31-03-2005, 20:06
To get back on the Perl discussion: Why is it so difficult to get Perl compiled for a non x86 CPU? It's not that I want to equalize PHP with Perl, but PHP did compile quite easilly for WL-500g as well as NSLU2 AFAIK...

Perl on the WL-500g or any other non x86 would be great because of the enormous amount of scripts available for it (like Webmin ;)).

Hoorna
31-03-2005, 22:17
I have the same problem as AIWAN but then with a 500g. I have an 500gx that is set in AP mode and an 500g in client mode.
With a PC on a 500gx-LAN-port I can logon in the 500g but I cannot connect to a PC on a 500g-LAN-port. The other way around gives also a problem: an PC on a 500g-LAN-port can login in the 500g but cannot login in the 500gx nor connect to an PC on an 500gx-LAN-port.

So there is no connection between the wireless part of the 500g and the LAN-ports on that box. In ethernet-bridge-mode this problem doesnot exists. On both boxes I use fw 1.9.2.7-4.

rwhitby
31-03-2005, 22:27
To get back on the Perl discussion: Why is it so difficult to get Perl compiled for a non x86 CPU? It's not that I want to equalize PHP with Perl, but PHP did compile quite easilly for WL-500g as well as NSLU2 AFAIK...

Perl on the WL-500g or any other non x86 would be great because of the enormous amount of scripts available for it (like Webmin ;)).
We had to natively compile Perl - we couldn't easily cross-compile it. So a lot of the effort was getting a native compilation environment working.
I believe PHP was cross-compiled without many issues.

Oleg
01-04-2005, 07:10
In fact microperl could be cross compiled, at least openwrt has it.

Theo
01-04-2005, 07:30
Just a small question in between. Is this 'range problem' solved in the latest CR4 release? I searched through the forum but couldn't find any info.

regards,
Theo.

Oleg
01-04-2005, 07:42
Just a small question in between. Is this 'range problem' solved in the latest CR4 release? I searched through the forum but couldn't find any info.

wi-fi part is still the same, as this firmware is based on the 1.9.2.7.

Aiwan
01-04-2005, 11:06
Where are you from? If you're from Russia, then PM me. To be honest, client mode was never tested with wl500gx, so LAN port problems could be there.
As for WLAN problem - do you use hex wep keys or passphrases? Passphrases are know to cause problems (as they're mostly vendor specific, unlike WPA-PSK keys), use hex keys only. Also, have you tried using it without WEP at all?
Also, dependening on the peer software it could require either "Shared Key" authentication (like you've specified) or "Open System / Shared Key" (this way key is used for data encryption only).
Thanks for reply Oleg, I am from Czech Republic (I have studied russian language 11 years but my technichal russian is bad :( ). I am using passphrase, but I assume that if wl status shows that I am connected, it means that WEP encryption works well and data should go through. I'll test all possibilities recommended and let you know.
LAN ports (eth0.1) is solvable by hack using crossover cable between WAN and LAN ethernet port (3 remaining ports are enough for now). This is low priority issue.
WiFi isssue is much more serious.
Thanks for hints Oleg. I appreciate it.

Aiwan
01-04-2005, 11:16
I have the same problem as AIWAN but then with a 500g. I have an 500gx that is set in AP mode and an 500g in client mode.
With a PC on a 500gx-LAN-port I can logon in the 500g but I cannot connect to a PC on a 500g-LAN-port. The other way around gives also a problem: an PC on a 500g-LAN-port can login in the 500g but cannot login in the 500gx nor connect to an PC on an 500gx-LAN-port.

So there is no connection between the wireless part of the 500g and the LAN-ports on that box. In ethernet-bridge-mode this problem doesnot exists. On both boxes I use fw 1.9.2.7-4.

Hi,
your network behaviour is same as if PC on 500g LAN port has no route to other subnet than connected LAN. Check if you have default route on PC on 500g LAN port with next hop 500g's LAN interface. Of course I can not be sure only from your decription, checking route tables from all PCs and Asuses might help. Also firewall settings may confuse things.
Hope it may help
Aiwan

06-04-2005, 21:12
Hi all,

recently I bought the Asus 500g to connect another remote LAN to my wireless network. I wanted to use the WDS function but so far i am not succesfull in it.

I loaded the newest release of the firmware (1.9.2.7-4) and configured the 500g via the web panels. (IP-address, WEP-key, MAC filtering etc.)

Computers connected to the already existing LAN are now able to ping/ configre the new Asus 500g via the WDS (so no cables!) It's even possible to ping from a telnet session on the asus over WDS via the other AP to the already existing LAN and even Internet. (e.g. www.chupa.nl)

But now the problem:
Computers connected to the Asus 500g AP. Can ping to the Asus 500g via Wireless connection and via LAN connection but they are not allowed to ping the remote Access Point (already existing LAN) at all . When i take al look at the log via telnet tot the 500g I notice the message duplicate IP-address which comes from the eth0 and eth2 combination (same HW address for wireless and LAN connection)
First I thought it was a routing problem but somewhere I read the WirelessLAN adapter and LAN adapter ought to be in the same subnet. This is why they are bridged together....

I tried to change the ip address with ifconfig but I lose my connection several times and gave up.
(where to store the settings via telnet session?)

Is someone succesfull in connecting two LANS via ASUS 500g with this firmware?

Keywords: bridge,stp,gateway,wds,route,metric, midnight commander mc,ifconfig

additional question: Has someone a compiled binary for midnight commander to use on the asus?

Feico de Boer
11-04-2005, 08:47
Is anyone else experiencing instabilities with the latest 1.9.2.7-4 release of Oleg's firmware?

It seems my unit regurarly looses wireless (wl down; wl up re-enables it). Also it seems to do spontaneous reboots. I usually have a USB stick mounted on /mnt but it gone after a while (seems to indicate reboot). Also the logfile (/tmp/syslog.log) indicates a reboot. Ofcourse there is no clue why this happens because the old log is gone. Usually the issue occurs somewhere between 12 and 24 hours after boot.

I am using an IPV6 tunnel, that may make a difference. Maybe I should try without it for a while (also not loading ipv6 module).

Regarding IPV6, the firmware seems to be imcomplete with regard to busybox. There is no ping6 and the available ping only understands ipv4. The same is true for traceroute. Anyway, IPV6 addresses result in 'host unknown'.

rwhitby
11-04-2005, 08:53
Is anyone else experiencing instabilities with the latest 1.9.2.7-4 release of Oleg's firmware?

It seems my unit regurarly looses wireless (wl down; wl up re-enables it). Also it seems to do spontaneous reboots. I usually have a USB stick mounted on /mnt but it gone after a while (seems to indicate reboot). Also the logfile (/tmp/syslog.log) indicates a reboot. Ofcourse there is no clue why this happens because the old log is gone. Usually the issue occurs somewhere between 12 and 24 hours after boot.

I am using an IPV6 tunnel, that may make a difference. Maybe I should try without it for a while (also not loading ipv6 module).

I have the same issue, and I don't run IPV6. I have only experienced the reboots (but maybe the wl down occurs just before that and I don't notice).

I haven't taken the time to characterise the problem yet, so I have no better data on it than you do.

-- Rod

Oleg
11-04-2005, 10:20

It seems my unit regurarly looses wireless (wl down; wl up re-enables it).

Do you use WPA? This could keying problem - try to isolate this by using WEP. If this still occures - try playing with other wl options.

Also it seems to do spontaneous reboots. I usually have a USB stick mounted on /mnt but it gone after a while (seems to indicate reboot). Also the logfile (/tmp/syslog.log) indicates a reboot. Ofcourse there is no clue why this happens because the old log is gone. Usually the issue occurs somewhere between 12 and 24 hours after boot.

The reboots problem is seems to be wl.o module related and it's common for 1.9.2.7 series. 1.9.3.6 includes an updated wl.o, so once ASUS release sources for the 1.9.3.x I will switch to it.

Regarding IPV6, the firmware seems to be imcomplete with regard to busybox. There is no ping6 and the available ping only understands ipv4. The same is true for traceroute. Anyway, IPV6 addresses result in 'host unknown'.
I will add ping6 and traceroute6. As for dns problem - have no idea, I do not use ipv6 at all. Ask phedny - I've included his work to the firmware, but it seems to be incomplete at the moment.

Emand
11-04-2005, 14:05
I have the same issue, and I don't run IPV6. I have only experienced the reboots (but maybe the wl down occurs just before that and I don't notice).

I haven't taken the time to characterise the problem yet, so I have no better data on it than you do.

-- Rod
I have the same issue, and I do not use IPV6.
I use the WPA-TKIP kryptering
I have down gradet to 1.9.2.7-3c it works fine.

/Esben S. Nielsen

Feico de Boer
11-04-2005, 14:09
Do you use WPA? This could keying problem - try to isolate this by using WEP. If this still occures - try playing with other wl options.

As far as I know I do use the WEP stuff but I will check when I have access to the router again. That won't be until I'm back home. I have not changed anything when I upgraded from 1.9.2.7-3c and that version was stable as a rock. Maybe I should hard reset the unit once and try again with clean settings.

The reboots problem is seems to be wl.o module related and it's common for 1.9.2.7 series. 1.9.3.6 includes an updated wl.o, so once ASUS release sources for the 1.9.3.x I will switch to it.

As I mentioned, I never had problems with the previous firmwares. When I was not playing around with it, it was simple up day after day 24/7. Got home and had wireless, now I have to walk upstairs first and reboot the thing (every day) to get connection. Not really the idea behind wireless.

I will add ping6 and traceroute6. As for dns problem - have no idea, I do not use ipv6 at all. Ask phedny - I've included his work to the firmware, but it seems to be incomplete at the moment.

Actually I think there is not a DNS issue. I have been tracing the stuff before with ping6 on older firmware (1.9.2.7-3c) with the not ipv6 enable ulibc. There it was a library thing (if I recall correctly ntoh() like stuff), so just enabling IPV6 in busybox might fix things. I guess ping and traceroute just don't understand the ipv6 format and interprete these as hostnames instead of 128 bit ipv6 addresses.

Still, thanks for the efforts Oleg, I really appreciate your work.

Oleg
11-04-2005, 15:09
As far as I know I do use the WEP stuff but I will check when I have access to the router again. That won't be until I'm back home. I have not changed anything when I upgraded from 1.9.2.7-3c and that version was stable as a rock. Maybe I should hard reset the unit once and try again with clean settings.

As I mentioned, I never had problems with the previous firmwares. When I was not playing around with it, it was simple up day after day 24/7. Got home and had wireless, now I have to walk upstairs first and reboot the thing (every day) to get connection. Not really the idea behind wireless.

My guess is that somebody near you just installed wireless equipment. Nothing changed in the wireless stuff in the -4, as it's available as precompiled binary only. The problem is that I've never experienced reboots, etc., so I could not even try to catch this.

As for stability - this one runs in the AP mode - no reboots, etc:

[root@wl500g-1 root]$ uptime
18:08:19 up 21 days, 25 min, load average: 0.08, 0.01, 0.00
[root@wl500g-1 root]$ cat /.version
1.9.2.7-4

Actually I think there is not a DNS issue. I have been tracing the stuff before with ping6 on older firmware (1.9.2.7-3c) with the not ipv6 enable ulibc. There it was a library thing (if I recall correctly ntoh() like stuff), so just enabling IPV6 in busybox might fix things. I guess ping and traceroute just don't understand the ipv6 format and interprete these as hostnames instead of 128 bit ipv6 addresses.

Still, thanks for the efforts Oleg, I really appreciate your work.
Ok, I see now.

Aiwan
11-04-2005, 15:19

500gx seems to work OK as WiFi client with 1.9.2.7-4 with no encryption.
500gx seems to work OK as WiFi client with 1.9.2.7-4 with shared key WEP encryption, but key must be input in Hexadecimal form, not passphrase.

Bug in firmware is, that Asus wrongly (or at least differently from Cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA card, Orinoco AP, Intel Centrino chipset WiFi card and my ISP's D-link AP) translates passphrase WEP key into Hexadecimal form (which is probably used for encryption process). When I used table below (from Orinoco AP Help) and translated passphrase manualy into Hexadecimal key, it started to work.

There was no difference between "Open System / Shared Key" and "Shared Key" option, after translation of passphrase, both worked well with my ISP's D-link AP.

My fault was that I missunderstood wl status output
[admin@ASUS500GX root]$ wl status
SSID: "pokus"
Mode: Managed RSSI: -28 dBm noise: -99 dBm Channel: 1
BSSID: 00:02:2D:2D:10:AD Capability: ESS WEP
Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5 11 ]
I understood that WEP keys were compared and encryption works well. It is not true. The output above is probably radio interface status with no connection with encryption.

Problem with strange behaviour of LAN ports is not solved and I will have to investigate it. :confused:

Ivan

----------------------------------------
Translation from passphrase to hexadecimal equivalent (thanks Orinoco AP for intellectual property, I am not breaching their copyright too much :o ).

Encryption Key strings are case-sensitive!
Example: If your Encryption Key reads: "Key2Z" the hexadecimal equivalent would be: "4B657932A"

Alphanumeric Hex Alphanumeric Hex
A 41 a 61
B 42 b 62
C 43 c 63
D 44 d 64
E 45 e 65
F 46 f 66
G 47 g 67
H 48 h 68
I 49 i 69
J 4A j 6A
K 4B k 6B
L 4C l 6C
M 4D m 6D
N 4E n 6E
O 4F o 6F
P 50 p 70
Q 51 q 71
R 52 r 72
S 53 s 73
T 54 t 74
U 55 u 75
V 56 v 76
W 57 w 77
X 58 x 78
Y 59 y 79
Z A z 7A
Spacebar 20 0 30
! 21 1 31
" 22 2 32
# 23 3 33
$ 24 4 34
% 25 5 35
& 26 6 36
' 27 7 37
( 28 8 38
) 29 9 39
* 2A : 3A
+ 2B ; 3B
, 2C < 3C
- 2D = 3D
. 2E > 3E
/ 2F ? 3F
[ 5B @ 40
5C
] 5D
^ 5E
_ 5F
` 60
7B
| 7C
7D
~ 7E
Del. 7F

Oleg
11-04-2005, 15:51
In fact there is no WEP hex key - passphrase translation schemes, so every vendor uses it's own implementation. Agere/Orinoco drivers supports really weak scheme, which only uses ASCII translation (this reduces key strength), also at some point I had problems interacting Orinoco Gold Card with Orinoco AP - they've translated passphrases differently (this was driver bug).
So, as I've suggested several times - do not use WEP passphrases, use hex keys.

ManfredK2
11-04-2005, 18:59
Oleg, is there a chance to get a shutdown-function for the WL-HDD implemented in a further version of your excellent firmware ?

Oleg
11-04-2005, 20:11
Oleg, is there a chance to get a shutdown-function for the WL-HDD implemented in a further version of your excellent firmware ?
Well, as I do not have wlhdd, I could not even check how this should work. Does it really turns off (i.e. all LEDs are turned off and HDD is stoped)?

Styno
11-04-2005, 20:31
To test WebTools on WL-500g I dug up an old 40 Gb HDD and created 2 partitions on it:
- 64 Mb Swap ( /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5)
- the rest ext3 ( /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6)

When I boot the router there's a `/opt` directory, but I can't write to it: If I do `mkdir /opt/test` I get:
mkdir: Cannot create directory `/opt/test': Read-only file systemthis is some config on my WL-500g:
proc:

cd /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/
$ ls
disc part1 part5 part6mount:

mount
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/discs/disc0/part6 on /tmp/harddisk type ext3 (rw,noatime)
How can I get /proc to be read-write?

Oleg
11-04-2005, 20:38
Styno, I'm wonder: have you read this thread from the begining? Also, try using search, as read-only /opt is discussed several times already. :)
Hint: you need to mount /opt first or to switch to the external rootfs. :)

Styno
11-04-2005, 20:55
Dear Oleg, thank you for replying so quickly.

- Yes, I've read the entire thread -> It has only hints for people using FAT, rootfs or NFS. I'm using native ext3 partition without rootfs.

- Yes, I've searched (the search button is a big friend of mine remember? :p) on `/opt` and read all topics (about 14 of them) but could only find pointers to this topic, no solution.

Please can you help me?

Edit: Ok, I've tried every option in the mount man page and voila, the following works:

mount -obind /tmp/harddisk /opt
Thanks for your patience.

petgun
11-04-2005, 21:04
Well, as I do not have wlhdd, I could not even check how this should work.
..you have done a masterpiece without hands on a WL-HDD..

Does it really turns off (i.e. all LEDs are turned off and HDD is stoped)?
yes!

Oleg
11-04-2005, 21:09
Dear Oleg, thank you for replying so quickly.

- Yes, I've read the entire thread -> It has only hints for people using FAT, rootfs or NFS. I'm using native ext3 partition without rootfs.

This makes sense.

- Yes, I've searched (the search button is a big friend of mine remember? :p) on `/opt` and read all topics (about 14 of them) but could only find pointers to this topic, no solution.

Please can you help me?
Would you like to use whole ext3 for /opt? If the answer is no (i.e. you want to leave something to /tmp/harddisk - user accessible share), then repartition the drive.
Anyway, here is goes (it's really simple). Add these lines to your post-boot:

swapon /dev/discs/disc0/part5
mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc0/part6 /opt

That's all. Am I miss something?
P.S. If you want to share part5 both for /opt and /tmp/harddisk, then create directory named /opt in the /tmp/harddisk and add this line to the post-mount

mount -obind /tmp/harddisk/opt /opt

and this to post-boot:

swapon /dev/discs/disc0/part5

Oleg
11-04-2005, 21:12
Edit: Ok, I've tried every option in the mount man page and voila, the following works:

mount -obind /tmp/harddisk /opt
Thanks for your patience.
Styno, I would recommend you creating /tmp/harddisk/opt or separate partition (this is preffered).

yilias
11-04-2005, 21:16
I will probably will be kicked for this (i hope not) but i like the features in this firmware. As i noticed that there is an ssh client in here and thats one thing i like to have.

But now i have a little problem.
1. Is this version safer / more stable then the asus firmware?
2. Is there a webinterface?
3. Can i just upload the firmware to my asus wl500g?

i have a bit linux knowledge but not much aimed at the wl500g

br
Ronald

Styno
11-04-2005, 21:19
Styno, I would recommend you creating /tmp/harddisk/opt or separate partition (this is preffered).
Ok, I will do that. Thanks again for your help!

Styno
11-04-2005, 21:22
I will probably will be kicked for this (i hope not) but i like the features in this firmware. As i noticed that there is an ssh client in here and thats one thing i like to have.

But now i have a little problem.
1. Is this version safer / more stable then the asus firmware?
2. Is there a webinterface?
3. Can i just upload the firmware to my asus wl500g?

i have a bit linux knowledge but not much aimed at the wl500g

br
RonaldWell, I must say: You should read a bit in this forum, but I won't kick you out for this ;)

1. Simple rule: When you install more software on a router -> it will become less safe. But hey, everyone is doing this and I've never heard of someone being hacked for it.
2. Yes, it uses the original Asus webinterface with some added pages. An webinterface for ipk packages is underway.
3. Yes, uploading works as described in your manual.

Oleg
11-04-2005, 21:23
..you have done a masterpiece without hands on a WL-HDD..

In fact Antiloop performed much testing and added WL-HDD pages. I've spent most of time playing with ide modules...
Ok, I need someone to play with GPIO lines then. There should be one, which turns WL-HDD off. The lines in question are accessible via /dev/gpio/outen (output enable) and /dev/gpio/out (output). One line is controling power-led (bit 0), another one is RESTORE button (bit 6) other lines are used for accessing real time clock and controlling power as seems. So, I need volunteer that will run these commands in turn and let me know which one turned wl-hdd off:

test gpio /dev/gpio/out ff
test gpio /dev/gpio/outen 2
test gpio /dev/gpio/out 0

test gpio /dev/gpio/outen 4

test gpio /dev/gpio/outen 8

test gpio /dev/gpio/outen 10

test gpio /dev/gpio/outen 20

test gpio /dev/gpio/outen 80

Styno
11-04-2005, 21:37
Hmm, strange thing happens: When I place the mount -obind ... command in post-mount script, the /tmp/harddisk/opt directory doesn't get mounted. But when I execute the same command after logging in it works....

Oleg
11-04-2005, 21:40
Have you added this?

#!/bin/sh

Styno
11-04-2005, 21:53
Have you added this?

#!/bin/sh

cat /usr/local/sbin/post-mount
#!/bin/sh
swapon /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5
mount -obind /tmp/harddisk/opt /optYep, I did :)

Oleg
11-04-2005, 22:18
Yep, I did :)
So, it still does not work? If it does not, then try adding something like

echo post-mount > /tmp/post-mount.log

to check if it really works.

petgun
11-04-2005, 22:25
So, I need volunteer that will run these commands in turn and let me know which one turned wl-hdd off:

sorry, I tried them all, but no one switched off the WL-HDD

Feico de Boer
12-04-2005, 10:50
My guess is that somebody near you just installed wireless equipment. Nothing changed in the wireless stuff in the -4, as it's available as precompiled binary only. The problem is that I've never experienced reboots, etc., so I could not even try to catch this.

As for stability - this one runs in the AP mode - no reboots, etc:

[root@wl500g-1 root]$ uptime
18:08:19 up 21 days, 25 min, load average: 0.08, 0.01, 0.00
[root@wl500g-1 root]$ cat /.version
1.9.2.7-4

I believe you Oleg, that's not the issue. The -4 firmware just breaks over and over on my setup. Most of the time loosing ssh and wireless, but yesterday it freaked out completely and even LAN access was gone. Being tired of this I flashed back to -3c and sofar things are still going. The last reboot (planned) was around 10 pm yesterday and this morning 9 am I could still log on to the router from the office, sofar it's still alive.

Regarding the wireless. I don't think someone just installed wireless equipment in the neighborhood. I did a netstumbler scan yesterday and all looks the same. Ofcourse, the unit can be switched of but considering the neighborhood and range of the wireless devices, I don't think so. Ofcourse the band is an ISM band and shared with other ISM devices as well, I can't check for wireless videolink devices that may interfere. Apart from that the lower channels are also shared with amateur radio (high power) and professional video link services (low power). One of the reasons to go back to the -3c release, if it is the wireless stuff, that one might give problems to. If the -3c stays online, it may be something different in the -4 release.

If I find something more, I'll let you know.

hugo
12-04-2005, 13:34
Did you try the full reset? I also get instability between firmwares versions if I don't restart configuration from scratch. Also, I usualy disable WMM extentions and work using WEP

Styno
12-04-2005, 18:09
So, it still does not work? If it does not, then try adding something like

echo post-mount > /tmp/post-mount.log

to check if it really works.
New day, new attempts :) and I found the problem: post-mount was not executable yet. :o My bad, sorry.

Feico de Boer
12-04-2005, 19:11
Did you try the full reset? I also get instability between firmwares versions if I don't restart configuration from scratch. Also, I usualy disable WMM extentions and work using WEP

It shouldn't be neccessary for these two versions I think, but to make a long answer short, no I didn't.

Anyway, I appears not just to be -4 because today I lost wireless also on the -3c release (without full reset that is), there was no reset however. I'm trying something different now. With netstumbler I noticed that someone else is on the same channel my box has autoconfigured. Despite the risks of choosing a bad channel, I now fixed the box to channel one that was often used before the change.

If that fails also I will try a full reset and configure from scratch.

hugo
12-04-2005, 19:14
You're right about the firmware difference, but I did experience problems between 3c and 4. I also thought I wouldn't need any reset, but I had random failures while copying big files for example. Now it's perfectly working.

Feico de Boer
12-04-2005, 19:37
If that fails also I will try a full reset and configure from scratch.

The !@#$% thing just did a reset, that's it, full reset after I cleaned up the kitchen table (should have done that before experimenting anyway and has nothing to do with this issue :) ).

Oleg
12-04-2005, 19:55
Am I the only one experiencing problems with ipkg installation?

So far I've encountered the following (which has been reported before, I know):

$ ipkg.sh update
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g/Packages ...
ipkg_download: ERROR: Failed to retrieve http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g/Packages, returning
ipkg_update: Error downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g/Packages to /opt/lib/ipkg/lists/unslung
Which I solved creating the following directories by hand (Jean-Fabrice told me they shoul've been created automatically, but that doesn't happen with me):
- /opt/etc
- /opt/lib/lists
- /opt/tmp
- /opt/tmp/ipkg
After this I issued the ipkg.sh update again and I receive the list without errors.
Next step is to install ipkg binary, but then new errors occur:

$ ipkg.sh install ipkg
ipkg_get_install: ERROR: Cannot find package ipkg in /opt/lib/ipkg/lists
ipkg_get_install: Check the spelling and maybe run `ipkg update'.
When I check the list with:

$ cat /opt/lib/ipkg/lists/unslung | grep ipkg
Source: http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/downloads/ntpclient_2003_194.tar.gz
There is no occurance of any ipkg package.

What to do next?

These is my ipkg.conf file:

$ cat /etc/ipkg.conf
src unslung http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g
dest root /
Styno, do NOT touch /etc/ipkg.conf, as otherwise you will not be able to update ipkg. The ONLY step needed is typing

mkdir -p /opt/tmp/ipkg
ipkg.sh update
ipkg.sh install ipkg

All directories would be created automatically. Please remove this from your how-to as it's not needed.

Styno
12-04-2005, 20:28
Oleg, I've updated the HOWTO and removed my previous post. Sorry for all the fuss, I guess I was confused by not getting my HDD mounted on /opt.

Oleg
12-04-2005, 20:42
Oleg, I've updated the HOWTO and removed my previous post. Sorry for all the fuss, I guess I was confused by not getting my HDD mounted on /opt.
:) I've fixed ipkg.sh, so it will create this directory automagically in the next release.

petgun
14-04-2005, 11:10
..i think there will be a little performance boost if i can use 32768.
..some NFS-Tuning Tips with speed comparisons table http://cdfcaf.fnal.gov/doc/cdfnote_5962/node16.html

Feico de Boer
18-04-2005, 08:50
I believe you Oleg, that's not the issue. The -4 firmware just breaks over and over on my setup. Most of the time loosing ssh and wireless, but yesterday it freaked out completely and even LAN access was gone. Being tired of this I flashed back to -3c and sofar things are still going. The last reboot (planned) was around 10 pm yesterday and this morning 9 am I could still log on to the router from the office, sofar it's still alive.

Regarding the wireless. I don't think someone just installed wireless equipment in the neighborhood. I did a netstumbler scan yesterday and all looks the same. Ofcourse, the unit can be switched of but considering the neighborhood and range of the wireless devices, I don't think so. Ofcourse the band is an ISM band and shared with other ISM devices as well, I can't check for wireless videolink devices that may interfere. Apart from that the lower channels are also shared with amateur radio (high power) and professional video link services (low power). One of the reasons to go back to the -3c release, if it is the wireless stuff, that one might give problems to. If the -3c stays online, it may be something different in the -4 release.

If I find something more, I'll let you know.

Currently I'm on -4 again and sofar (keeping my fingers crossed) thing appear to stay online. One of the weird things I noticed was that the wireless (automatic channel selection) always started at channel one, but was on channel 6 when it was in a bad state, this also happened with the -3c release. This, together with Oleg remark that someone else in the neighbourhood may have installed wireless equipment, does indeed appear to be the case.

I did a factory reset and fixed the unit to channel 6 and sofar the issue did not show up. There are a few other settings like fixing to 54g but I don't think that should matter much.

Quite funny (sarcasm implied) that something like channel disturbance should result in loss of wireless ...

reul
18-04-2005, 23:06
Is it also possible to cap the bandwith limit of the FTP-server, with the integrated bandwith limiter?

undead
21-04-2005, 01:15
I installed on my wlhdd Oleg's firmware 1.9.2.7-4, moved rootfs to hdd, add swap, install ipkg and install midnight commander from unslug (mc_4.1.35-2_mipsel.ipk) and ncurses library (by dependecies).
But when I try to start mc - I have blank screen. I tryed start with any parameters (without mouse, colors e.t.c.) in ssh and telnet - no results, blank screen only.
Anybody run mc from unslug on wl500g or wlhdd ???

Oleg
21-04-2005, 07:39
I installed on my wlhdd Oleg's firmware 1.9.2.7-4, moved rootfs to hdd, add swap, install ipkg and install midnight commander from unslug (mc_4.1.35-2_mipsel.ipk) and ncurses library (by dependecies).
But when I try to start mc - I have blank screen. I tryed start with any parameters (without mouse, colors e.t.c.) in ssh and telnet - no results, blank screen only.
Anybody run mc from unslug on wl500g or wlhdd ???
I've tried to use it, but also failed. Probably something is missing...

iog
21-04-2005, 15:33
Previously I had Asus FW 1.9.2.7, which worked well except that it dropped out about every two days (on Bigpond cable). With Oleg's custom FW 1.9.2.7-CR4, VPN connection (MS) drops out frequently (it can be after 5 minutes; usually it is 20-25 minutes). I had no dropouts of VPN with Asus 1.9.2.7 (ran for hours). Also, with CR4 there are frequent 1-2 minute periods of timeouts while browsing or email client send/receive (Outlook), which did not occur with Asus 1.9.2.7. It does not look as if it is yet fixed for bigpond.

Ascathôn
22-04-2005, 18:34
When I use telnet and some commands on the router, the device reboots after a few minutes. And it keeps doing this every ~30 minutes until I disconnect the power cable for an half hour to let it cool down. Is it possible the router got overheated?

Using v1.9.2.7 CR4 Oleg

Oleg
22-04-2005, 21:30
When I use telnet and some commands on the router, the device reboots after a few minutes. And it keeps doing this every ~30 minutes until I disconnect the power cable for an half hour to let it cool down. Is it possible the router got overheated?

Using v1.9.2.7 CR4 Oleg
Unlikely. Which commands are causing this?

michael
23-04-2005, 02:52
To share my experiences with you:
On my set of two WL-500g's WDS does work with WPS-PSK and AES (on Channel 11).
Both are in AP mode and one of them is connected to a router.

jbrbv : I'm trying to get the same setup working, and have both my WL-500g's set up as you have said above, but still cant get bridging working - could you please give more information on your wireless settings that you used to getthis to work - my WL-500g's are on v1.9.2.7 CR4 and the other details are in the attached pdf - any help you could give would be very much appreciated

guch79
23-04-2005, 05:42
Hey Oleg

I´ve just updated to this new firmware, and i must say it runs more smoothly then the ASUS Unmodded firmware.

I have read thru this thred and i cant find enybody with the same problem as i.

Problem:

I want to upload all my mp3 music to my FTP, so i want to make a subfolder i a folder. There is no problem with making the folder in flash fxp, but when i try to upload enything to the subfolder i get an error.
If i manualy make the folder, there is no problem uploading files to it.

Exampel:
I make a folder path: Psytrance \ -Artist \ -2003-\
And then i try to upload a folder with the album in, and then i fails.
But if i creat the subfolder manualy and then upload the mp3 files to it, there is no problems.

I use a maxtor ide hardrive, with fat 32 format on it.

Would it help if i make it a linux partiton??

Sorry english is not my first language (",) so i hope this makes sense.

-Gustav

Ascathôn
23-04-2005, 12:44
Unlikely. Which commands are causing this?

Well, I was just trying some commands. Not any special commands which will change the settings but things like vi, cat, mkdir... Just testing the capabilities.

jbrbv
23-04-2005, 12:53
Is it possible to use WDS with WPA-PSK and both AES+TKIP encryptions?
I noticed that most PDA's with WLAN only support WPA-PSK with TKIP (like ASUS A730w), but i want to have AES encryption for PC's and portables. And the WL-500g supports both encryptions at the same time in normal mode.
So i want to have both encryptions available in our environment if possible.

Oleg
23-04-2005, 15:20
Is it possible to use WDS with WPA-PSK and both AES+TKIP encryptions?
I noticed that most PDA's with WLAN only support WPA-PSK with TKIP (like ASUS A730w), but i want to have AES encryption for PC's and portables. And the WL-500g supports both encryptions at the same time in normal mode.
So i want to have both encryptions available in our environment if possible.
Please read Known Bugs in the FAQ section.

nOBeLium
23-04-2005, 17:52
I've read on first post that this firmware still has wi-fi issues. I just want to confirm the problem I have is determinated by the wi-fi driver or if my router chip is really broken.

With netstumbler, I get an output of 80dBm while the computer is just 1 meter away from the router, in the same room. Tried on a PCMCIA D-Link card and on a Centrino. Both have severe problems with wireless and I don't have signal in a distance of 5 meters tops.

What is your opinion? Firmware issues/wi-fi driver or broken chip? (I tried a different antenna, the one that bundles with asus motherboards and I had exactly the same problem).

Thanks,

Oleg
23-04-2005, 18:00
I've read on first post that this firmware still has wi-fi issues. I just want to confirm the problem I have is determinated by the wi-fi driver or if my router chip is really broken.

With netstumbler, I get an output of 80dBm while the computer is just 1 meter away from the router, in the same room. Tried on a PCMCIA D-Link card and on a Centrino. Both have severe problems with wireless and I don't have signal in a distance of 5 meters tops.

What is your opinion? Firmware issues/wi-fi driver or broken chip? (I tried a different antenna, the one that bundles with asus motherboards and I had exactly the same problem).

Thanks,
Looks like hardware problem. It should be about -30 - -50 dB.

nOBeLium
23-04-2005, 18:29
Thank you for the reply Oleg. Any suggestion before taking it to the local shop I bought it from?

Oleg
23-04-2005, 18:38
Thank you for the reply Oleg. Any suggestion before taking it to the local shop I bought it from?
Flash ASUS firmware and reset to defaults before returning it.

nOBeLium
23-04-2005, 19:08
Any special firmware? Since I want to be able to return to the wonderful custom firmware, I'd like to flash it with a firmware that allows me that. I've read that 1.9.3.6 version is harder to flashback.

guch79
23-04-2005, 19:17
Oleg was my question so stupid, that u dont want to answer it???

-Guch79

Oleg
23-04-2005, 19:39
Oleg was my question so stupid, that u dont want to answer it???

-Guch79
I just have not enough time to check and fix everything. Some things could be guessed, some are well known, some requires getting flash fxp and checking why it does not work...
Have you contaced ASUS tech support already?

michael
24-04-2005, 05:47
jbrbv : I'm trying to get the same setup working, and have both my WL-500g's set up as you have said above, but still cant get bridging working - could you please give more information on your wireless settings that you used to getthis to work - my WL-500g's are on v1.9.2.7 CR4 and the other details are in the attached pdf - any help you could give would be very much appreciated

just an update to this - I've tried running the two WL500g's in router mode and AP mode, tried with the same SSID and different SSID's (not that it should matter), tried specifying both WEP and WPA-PSK keys, as well as just WPA-PSK alone, tried setting both WL-500G's to pure WDS more with no AP, but nothing I do gets WDS working over WPA-PSK. I understand that WDS wont work over WPA due to the changing keys, but theres numerous posts here that people have WDS running OK over WPA-PSK, and I just cant get it to work.

Again, if anybody out there has a step by step howto on this it would be very much appreciated, but also if there are any tips on how to debug this that would also be good - I've looked at the wl command but cant get very far with it - for instance : is there some way it can tell me if a WDS connection has been attempted, or to force one?

jbrbv
24-04-2005, 21:27
Please read Known Bugs in the FAQ section.
Oleg,
I've tried WDS with WPA-PSK/AES on both the 1.9.3.6 BETA and the 1.9.2.7 CR4 firmware versions. Both work, although IMHO the 1.9.3.6 BETA works better for the WDS function. The combination WPA-PSK/AES+TKIP does not work on the 1.9.3.6 BETA. Before i had to load the 1.9.2.7. CR4 FW on both the routers i thought; i'd ask the forum.

I followed your reply:
When selecting the FAQ menu, i found:
1) known bugs in off. ASUS fw (as of 16-feb-05), by Oleg and Antiloop
6) [WDS] Which speeds can be reached in reality with WDS

In part 1) there are the following known WPA-PSK and/or WDS bugs:
8. Encryption WPA-PSK AES and WEP.
9. WDS with WPA encryption does not function.

In part 6) Antiloop does let us know of his succesfull WDS setup with two WL-500g's with fw 1.8.1.7-3 and WPA-PSK AES and the speeds you might expect.

I could not find anything about WPA-PSK and AES+TKIP.

Did i overlooked something?

jbrbv
24-04-2005, 21:56
just an update to this - I've tried running the two WL500g's in router mode and AP mode, tried with the same SSID and different SSID's (not that it should matter), tried specifying both WEP and WPA-PSK keys, as well as just WPA-PSK alone, tried setting both WL-500G's to pure WDS more with no AP, but nothing I do gets WDS working over WPA-PSK. I understand that WDS wont work over WPA due to the changing keys, but theres numerous posts here that people have WDS running OK over WPA-PSK, and I just cant get it to work.

Again, if anybody out there has a step by step howto on this it would be very much appreciated, but also if there are any tips on how to debug this that would also be good - I've looked at the wl command but cant get very far with it - for instance : is there some way it can tell me if a WDS connection has been attempted, or to force one?

Michael,

I'm comparing the settings from your PDF with the settings from my WL-500g's directly and post the differences.
First of all, my WL-500g's are in AP mode. Both use DHCP for the IP-addresses. The first Wl-500g is connected hardwired to a router (which is connected to the internet and is acting as DHCP server). The second WL-500g is only connected to the power-mains. Not hardwired to the network. It gets the IP-address by DHCP via the first WL-500g.
At the moment i'm using 1.9.3.6 BETA as it runs smoother in WDS mode than 1.9.2.7 CR4 (= my opinion), both firmwares work in WDS mode!
There are a few things that need to be the same (read i have the same):
- mode
- SSID
- channel
- WPA Pre-Shared Key
- password (and name on the CR4)
- have the settings on wireless-interface and wireless-advanced be the same as much as possible

The differences
On the wireless-interface page:
I have 54g protection checked
I have network Key rotation interval of 86400
The key has a length of nine characters.

In the remote bridge list i have the mac addresses of both the routers. As a minimum you need the mac address of the other WL-500g

In the Access Control List you have the mac address of the other WL-500g. Remove it. Here you only need the MAC addresses of the clients (=PC's, portables, PDA's) if you wish.

In Wireless - Advanced i have Hide SSID on Yes, Enable Frame bursting on Enabled and Radio Power on 38. I don't think these setting do really matter as long as the first two settings are the same on both WL-500g's.

Suc6

michael
25-04-2005, 00:12
Michael,

I'm comparing the settings from your PDF with the settings from my WL-500g's directly and post the differences.
First of all, my WL-500g's are in AP mode. Both use DHCP for the IP-addresses. The first Wl-500g is connected hardwired to a router (which is connected to the internet and is acting as DHCP server). The second WL-500g is only connected to the power-mains. Not hardwired to the network. It gets the IP-address by DHCP via the first WL-500g.
At the moment i'm using 1.9.3.6 BETA as it runs smoother in WDS mode than 1.9.2.7 CR4 (= my opinion), both firmwares work in WDS mode!
There are a few things that need to be the same (read i have the same):
- mode
- SSID
- channel
- WPA Pre-Shared Key
- password (and name on the CR4)
- have the settings on wireless-interface and wireless-advanced be the same as much as possible

The differences
On the wireless-interface page:
I have 54g protection checked
I have network Key rotation interval of 86400
The key has a length of nine characters.

In the remote bridge list i have the mac addresses of both the routers. As a minimum you need the mac address of the other WL-500g

In the Access Control List you have the mac address of the other WL-500g. Remove it. Here you only need the MAC addresses of the clients (=PC's, portables, PDA's) if you wish.

In Wireless - Advanced i have Hide SSID on Yes, Enable Frame bursting on Enabled and Radio Power on 38. I don't think these setting do really matter as long as the first two settings are the same on both WL-500g's.

Suc6

many, many thanks - I will review and test these and see if I can get it going

michael
25-04-2005, 01:33
many, many thanks - I will review and test these and see if I can get it going

It Works!

the key seems to be when you said:

"In the remote bridge list i have the mac addresses of both the routers."

In all the other combinations I tried, including running WDS over WEP, I've only had the MAC address of the other router... but when I tried putting both MACs in both routers bridge address lists it worked with WPA-PSK/AES. I tried other things in your list as well, but this was the last change I made before it worked.

In summary, I have these things the same on both routers now:

- hostname
- bridge MAC access list
- encryption options
- wireless options

but I still have differing admin passwords for both, and the 26 character AES WPA-PSK I used originally is working on both - I changed it for a shorter key thinking that might be the problem, but happily its not.

Interestingly enough, now that its working, the boot log and the output of "ifconfig -a" shows more lines, and more network interfaces inthe bridge, than it had before. I include them below from one of the units in case it helps anyone else.

Many thanks again for taking the time to help me with this.

================================================== =====
Jan 1 11:00:02 kernel: eth0: Broadcom BCM47xx 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Controller 3.90.7.0
Jan 1 11:00:02 kernel: eth1: Broadcom BCM47xx 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Controller 3.90.7.0
Jan 1 11:00:02 kernel: PCI: Enabling device 01:02.0 (0004 -> 0006)
Jan 1 11:00:02 kernel: eth2: Broadcom BCM4320 802.11 Wireless Controller 3.90.7.0
Jan 1 11:00:02 kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Jan 1 11:00:02 kernel: device eth2 entered promiscuous mode
Jan 1 11:00:02 kernel: device wds0.49153 entered promiscuous mode
Jan 1 11:00:02 kernel: device wds0.49154 entered promiscuous mode
Jan 1 11:00:02 kernel: device eth1 entered promiscuous mode
Jan 1 11:00:02 kernel: br0: port 5(eth1) entering learning state
Jan 1 11:00:03 kernel: ds0.49154) entering learning state
Jan 1 11:00:03 kernel: br0: port 3(wds0.49153) entering learning state
Jan 1 11:00:03 kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entering learning state
Jan 1 11:00:03 kernel: br0: port 1(eth0) entering learning state
Jan 1 11:00:03 kernel: br0: port 5(eth1) entering forwarding state
Jan 1 11:00:03 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Jan 1 11:00:03 kernel: br0: port 4(wds0.49154) entering forwarding state
Jan 1 11:00:03 kernel: br0: port 3(wds0.49153) entering forwarding state
Jan 1 11:00:03 kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entering forwarding state
Jan 1 11:00:03 kernel: br0: port 1(eth0) entering forwarding state
br0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:2F:4E:74:65
inet addr:10.33.33.3 Bcast:10.33.33.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::211:2fff:fe4e:7465/10 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:288 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:285 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:26498 (25.8 KiB) TX bytes:73831 (72.1 KiB)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:2F:4E:74:65
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:37 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:5297 (5.1 KiB)
Interrupt:3 Base address:0x2000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:2F:4E:74:65
TX packets:37 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:5297 (5.1 KiB)
Interrupt:4 Base address:0x8000

eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:2F:4E:74:65
RX packets:546 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:353
TX packets:290 errors:15 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:225456 (220.1 KiB) TX bytes:77117 (75.3 KiB)
Interrupt:6 Base address:0x2000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:467 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:467 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:41364 (40.3 KiB) TX bytes:41364 (40.3 KiB)

sit0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wds0.4915 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:2F:4E:74:65

wds0.4915 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:2F:4E:74:65

Oleg
25-04-2005, 09:30
I could not find anything about WPA-PSK and AES+TKIP.

Did i overlooked something?
Ok, I had an impression, that we've added it to the Known Bugs. It appears, that it's missing, sorry.
Anyway, AES+TKIP option does not work with 1.9.2.7. Antiloop, am I right?

Antiloop
25-04-2005, 10:54
Ok, I had an impression, that we've added it to the Known Bugs. It appears, that it's missing, sorry.
Anyway, AES+TKIP option does not work with 1.9.2.7. Antiloop, am I right?

uhm..

WPA-PSK with TKIP+AES should work fine,
WDS or HYBRID MUST be disabled, also client mode does not work afaik

nOBeLium
26-04-2005, 20:10
Apart from the wi-fi problem, my router resets very 5 minutes or such..can I go back to a 1.8.x.x firmware? If yes, please give me a link since I can't find it on home page. Thanks,

GJAman
26-04-2005, 20:15
Apart from the wi-fi problem, my router resets very 5 minutes or such..can I go back to a 1.8.x.x firmware? If yes, please give me a link since I can't find it on home page. Thanks,

http://oleg.wl500g.info/1.8.1.7-3/

nOBeLium
26-04-2005, 21:00
Thanks! Going to downgrade it and will post results (if it fixed current problems I'm experiencing with this firmware).

jbrbv
26-04-2005, 23:29
uhm..

WPA-PSK with TKIP+AES should work fine,
WDS or HYBRID MUST be disabled, also client mode does not work afaik

Oleg,
Is it possible to get WPA-PSK and both AES+TKIP encryptions to work under WDS?

Oleg
27-04-2005, 15:36
Oleg,
I've no idea, probably Antiloop tested this. If it does not work, then probably driver is buggy...

Antiloop
27-04-2005, 15:47
Oleg,
it has been a while ago, and still waiting for some testunits to arrive

but afaik it is impossible to use WPA-PSK AES+TKIP and WDS

I believe it should work either with AES or TKIP but not at the same time

WDS + WPA-PSK AES is not working with current firmware
and for TKIP i'm not 100% sure anymore now if it did work or not..

you can test this easily, only thing you should change is to use WEP if it starts working then the combination does not work (when using firmware 1.8.1.7-3 for example this should work fine)

jbrbv
27-04-2005, 21:42
it has been a while ago, and still waiting for some testunits to arrive

but afaik it is impossible to use WPA-PSK AES+TKIP and WDS

I believe it should work either with AES or TKIP but not at the same time

WDS + WPA-PSK AES is not working with current firmware
and for TKIP i'm not 100% sure anymore now if it did work or not..

you can test this easily, only thing you should change is to use WEP if it starts working then the combination does not work (when using firmware 1.8.1.7-3 for example this should work fine)

Please read the report of Michael. Het got his WDS setup working with WPA-PSK and AES. My setup has been working with WPA-PSK and AES. I'm now using 1.9.3.6 and [WDS] WPA-PSK with AES is working fine.

iog
28-04-2005, 14:26
Previously I had Asus FW 1.9.2.7, which worked well except that it dropped connection about every two days and had to be manually reconnected (on Bigpond cable). With Oleg's custom FW 1.9.2.7-CR4, connection drops out frequently (~5-10 minutes) with timeouts on browsing or email send/receive. It does reconnect automatically after a minute or so, but meanwhile, if using a VPN connection it fails. I had no dropouts with browsing or VPN with Asus 1.9.2.7. It does not look as if CR4 is much good on bigpond. I've reverted to 1.9.2.7. At least it does the basic stuff well for ~48 hours at a time!

Antiloop
28-04-2005, 15:10
Please read the report of Michael. Het got his WDS setup working with WPA-PSK and AES. My setup has been working with WPA-PSK and AES. I'm now using 1.9.3.6 and [WDS] WPA-PSK with AES is working fine.
hm strange.. my WDS connection stopped working since the 1.9.x.x series haven't tested any higher 1.9.2.7 currently

but what does he mean with
"In the remote bridge list i have the mac addresses of both the routers."
which BOTH routers?
are we talking about 2 routers connected to eachother or 3 then?

jbrbv
28-04-2005, 23:49
hm strange.. my WDS connection stopped working since the 1.9.x.x series haven't tested any higher 1.9.2.7 currently

but what does he mean with
which BOTH routers?
are we talking about 2 routers connected to eachother or 3 then?
Two (2). You need to add both MAC addresses.

Antiloop
29-04-2005, 00:41
Two (2). You need to add both MAC addresses.
so you mean you need to add MAC address of the device itselve ?

jbrbv
29-04-2005, 16:42
so you mean you need to add MAC address of the device itselve ?
Yes, that's right.

Antiloop
29-04-2005, 18:15
Yes, that's right.
done that,

I'm not sure what the key is to get it working
after getting the configuration working, I removed ALL changes I made to get it working and now it stays working.. thus probably there is a nvram value left empty or something that prevents WDS from working correctly

jbrbv
29-04-2005, 23:04
done that,

I'm not sure what the key is to get it working
after getting the configuration working, I removed ALL changes I made to get it working and now it stays working.. thus probably there is a nvram value left empty or something that prevents WDS from working correctly
I got this tip (put all mac addresses in the list) a long time ago in one of the message about WDS.

So, first it would not work, then you made it working and after that you removed the settings, put some of the settings back and now it still works.
You now have only one mac address in the list?

bogdanv
04-05-2005, 21:18
I couldn't find a solution to my problem in this thread so I'm making this post.

I use WDS for internet connection and my setup is as follows. I have two physical locations, say Location1 (with router1 and wired+wireless clients) and Location2 (with router2 and wired+wireless clients). Router1 is connected to internet via 1Mbps ADSL on one end and on the other end through WDS to router2. Router1 and Router2 are about 70 metres apart and in visual contact. So far I had very good connection between routers, with effective data throughput of 1MByte/s (8Mbps). WDS mode is set to hybrid. I use WEP-128 bit encryption.

My problem is this: Ever since I upgraded fw from 1.8.1.9 (ASUS) to 1.9.2.7-4 (custom) I experience hickups in traffic on Location2. Traffic is very irregular and stalls sometimes. Effective data throughput has dropped to 100-200 kBps. If I ping router1 from Location2, some pings get lost (the longer the ping packets, more of them get lost). At Location1, everything is normal (for wired and wireless clients).

Has anyone else experienced this? What could be the cause? Could it be reduced output power, which was mentioned in ASUS release notes for this release?

Please help!
Bogdan

Antiloop
05-05-2005, 02:34
I got this tip (put all mac addresses in the list) a long time ago in one of the message about WDS.

So, first it would not work, then you made it working and after that you removed the settings, put some of the settings back and now it still works.
You now have only one mac address in the list?
correct

I removed all modifications which were not present before, and then it stayed working.. so something was left in nvram probably..

jbrbv
05-05-2005, 15:27
I couldn't find a solution to my problem in this thread so I'm making this post.

-< cut >-

My problem is this: Ever since I upgraded fw from 1.8.1.9 (ASUS) to 1.9.2.7-4 (custom) I experience hickups in traffic on Location2. Traffic is very irregular and stalls sometimes. Effective data throughput has dropped to 100-200 kBps. If I ping router1 from Location2, some pings get lost (the longer the ping packets, more of them get lost). At Location1, everything is normal (for wired and wireless clients).

Has anyone else experienced this? What could be the cause? Could it be reduced output power, which was mentioned in ASUS release notes for this release?

Please help!
Bogdan

Bogdan, if you do not need the special features of the custom firmware, then try the ASUS 1.9.4.0 firmware.
Otherwise change the channel value to a high number and/or try a high power value (60 - 84).

jimmy
06-05-2005, 20:28
hi, does any body knows the meaning of this lines?
18:55:25 kernel: HTB init, kernel part version 3.16
May 6 18:55:25 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10001 is big.Consider r2q change.
May 6 18:55:25 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10012 is big. Consider r2q change.
May 6 18:55:25 kernel: HTB init, kernel part version 3.16
May 6 18:55:25 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10001 is big. Consider r2q change.
May 6 18:55:26 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10012 is big. Consider r2q change.
and its keeps going hour after hour.!!!! :confused:
im using 1.9.2.7-4 olegs firmware.

tomilius
07-05-2005, 03:14
I think that may be a wondershaper issue. Try not using it and seeing if it goes away.

Oleg
07-05-2005, 08:51
hi, does any body knows the meaning of this lines?
18:55:25 kernel: HTB init, kernel part version 3.16
May 6 18:55:25 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10001 is big.Consider r2q change.
May 6 18:55:25 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10012 is big. Consider r2q change.
May 6 18:55:25 kernel: HTB init, kernel part version 3.16
May 6 18:55:25 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10001 is big. Consider r2q change.
May 6 18:55:26 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10012 is big. Consider r2q change.
and its keeps going hour after hour.!!!! :confused:
im using 1.9.2.7-4 olegs firmware.
Do you use ASUS bandwidth management page? If so, probably the values, which you've specified are too high.

jimmy
08-05-2005, 16:51
well ive disabled the bandwidth management , but it keeps showing
May 8 15:29:47 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10011 is big. Consider r2q change.
ive updated to 1.9.2.7-5 oegs firmware and know shows
May 8 15:30:13 kernel: et1: rx stuck suspected

any sugestions?

Do you use ASUS bandwidth management page? If so, probably the values, which you've specified are too high.

dakraam
17-05-2006, 22:31
Hi Oleg,

I installed the firmwire update to my ASUS WL500g. The problem is, it changed my password or/and username. Could you help me by e-mail me these codes? (dakraam@gmail.com)

Thank you in advance,

Vincent

max2950
18-05-2006, 09:34
Hi Oleg,

I installed the firmwire update to my ASUS WL500g. The problem is, it changed my password or/and username. Could you help me by e-mail me these codes? (dakraam@gmail.com)

Thank you in advance,

Vincent

From which version did you upgrade ?
did you try the default username/password "admin" and "admin" ?
Try reseting your unit to factory settings using the reset button.

By the way, you are not using the latest fimware from Oleg, here you can get the latest one : http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=4145

Oleg
18-05-2006, 09:59
Hi Oleg,

Thank you in advance,

Vincent
Read FAQ, you've to reset to defaults. Better use 1.9.2.7-7c.

matija
06-08-2006, 11:02
I have a trouble when trying to install ipk package i get an error

[admin@WL-500G root]$ ipkg install openvpn - 2.0.7-1
Installing openvpn (2.0.7-1) to root...
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g/openvpn_2.0.7-1_mipsel.ipk
Nothing to be done
An error ocurred, return value: 4.
Collected errors:
ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn:
kernel-module-tun
Cannot find package -.
Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'
Cannot find package 2.0.7-1.
Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'
[admin@WL-500G root]$

What can i do??

alien433
07-08-2006, 20:07
upgrade to the leatest version

rogerrb
08-08-2006, 13:18
To install Openvpn you should use the following command:
ipkg -force-depends install openvpn

You should also read this thread and the howto the thread is referring to: http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=5363&highlight=openvpn

rogerrb
08-08-2006, 13:18
To install Openvpn you should use the following command:
ipkg -force-depends install openvpn

You should also read this thread and the howto the thread is referring to: http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=5363&highlight=openvpn