PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : WL-500G Wireless dropping out

zeno
09-03-2005, 21:46
Hi, I recently purchased a WL-500G as they seem quite well reviewed. I use wireless in the main at home, 1 workstation and two laptops. No matter how I configure the wireless, channel, encryption etc., after a few minutes my wireless connection drops out after a minute or two it then reconnects. This happens on all machines and the two laptops are both used at work without this sort of problem. Obviously this points to the WL-500G as the defective device. In fact its just dropped out now so this is twice whilst typing this.

I'm not far off throwing this in the bin.

I have tried multiple different firmwares and the result is the same. Do I possibly have a defective unit and is there anyway of monitoring through telnet etc.?

I am only 5 ft from the router.

TIA

tomilius
09-03-2005, 23:10
Maybe you forgot to put on the antenna or the antenna is defective. What's the signal strength? It's possible to have a dismal signal strength and a high "speed"... such as 54mbps with 1 "bar," so don't forget that.

Anyway, I have had the same problem but not as frequently.

zeno
09-03-2005, 23:53
Signal strength at the moment is showing as Excellent, in a minute there will be no signal though.

tomilius
10-03-2005, 00:23
OK... I just got a brand new antenna myself, and the signal strength is also excellent on all devices. It's great--but my connection is still dropped as well... Ugh. Even with WEP and 1.8.1.7-3 it was dropping all of the time! So I upgraded to 1.9.2.7-3c again and... well, it went out twice.

gwl
10-03-2005, 00:33
maybe it's an interference....
telnet into the router and "wl scan".

tomilius
10-03-2005, 01:33
Operation not supported... (1.9.2.7-3c)

So I assume it must be in Client mode? I've just been using NetStumbler on one of my machines instead... There's a network nearby, yes, but it uses channels 5 and 6 and I use channel 11.

albertchun
10-03-2005, 01:37
YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was only me! I bought the router along with a wl107g asus g wireless pcmcia card. the connection speed drops gradually from 54mb to 11, then disconnects, and automatically reconnects -- cycling every minute!! just can't use it at all... tried all drivers for card, and all firmware for router... tried all settings including channels and WAN connection speed... don't help at all. then i simply unplugged the card and insert the old 802.11b card and working slowly but with no problem... geez... i bought it for 54mbs i thought and working at 11mbs now..

iog
10-03-2005, 05:51
I have no problem whatsoever with dropouts with wireless connection (with Dell Inspiron 510m notebook, which has built-in 11g wireless)---runs for hours at a time.
The WL500g does drop its connection to bigpond (Telstra) every other day or so (via cable modem) and I have to connect manually. That could be a bigpond thing, but it would be nice if the router would automatically reconnect reliably. Otherwise it runs fine.

FW 1.9.2.7

Plumpshans
13-03-2005, 09:23
What WLAN Adapter are you using on your computer?
Is it, by any chance, an Intel 2200BG?
I use this one and had the same problems. :(
Seems to be a driver problem. I was using the newest drivers (9.0.1.9) and was in an endless "disconnect-connect" loop :eek: ,
virtually being unable to use the WLAN. Then I went back to driver 8.1.0.28 and it seems to be working like a charm. :cool:

Maybe you try this, too?
For more info, google for "2200bg losing OR dropping" or read
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_network&message.id=27982&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Regards,
Hans

Siem
17-03-2005, 21:30
Same problem here with an Intel 2200BG.
Going back to the older 8.1.0.28 driver solved my connection problems as well.

Seems to be related to the heavy Power Save Polling the 2200BG does with the v9 driver. Both Asus and Linksys routers do not handle that very well. The 2200BG constantly asks the router whether it is still needed. If no answer back, the 2200BG will start to drop speed (and disconnect) in order to save power (even when on AC).

Greetz, Siem