PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : booting from USB - where is "/init/boot" ?

kerda
10-02-2009, 12:02
I am trying more or less successfully to use a USB disk as a boot device for WL-500gx and Oleg's 1.9.2.7-10. But I am struggling with ramdisk removal. I found older tutorial that I should edit "/init/boot" file so the ramdisk is not mounted. But seems that now in this firmware is somewhere else. I looked at linuxrc but I do not see there /tmp mounting. I copied all necessary files to usb disk to /tmp and I umount ramdisk after boot but it is not optimal and probably because of this DHCP is not giving any leases ( DHCPNAK(br0) 192.168.3.5 00:0b:5d:90:17:bc lease not found )

So where is the script which mounts ramdisk?

kerda
11-02-2009, 19:06
Noone? I tried to remove symlink to /etc and replace it with real /etc but after that router does not work properly, not giving DHCP leases and it is slow. Why? If I make again symlink from /etc to /tmp/etc it works again.

newbiefan
12-02-2009, 21:12
Well, to boot from USB device, see at
http://oleg.wl500g.info
Section Root file system on the external USB drive
have fun

kerda
13-02-2009, 18:44
I know. I did exactly what is written there and wl-500gx is booting from USB. However I would like to get rid of ramdisk (use /tmp from usb not from ramdisk)
if I umount /tmp (the one from ramdisk) after booting and use /tmp from usb disk, router does not work properly. At lest is not giving DHCP leases but I saw another problems. So I suppose I should disable mounting ramdisk at all or stay with it.

newbiefan
13-02-2009, 19:48
Well, to my best knowledge /usr/ is a symlink pointing to /tmp, so I would try
to unlink at first and then remount /tmp. Maybe it works.....
If not, I would copy everything from /tmp to hdd-tmp, then unlink and remount.
Let me know, because I possibly can use it too.

kerda
14-02-2009, 14:58
And that is the problem, I removed links, copied all files where they should be. But after reboot, always tmp is mounted from ramdisk. After umounting it the original files in /tmp reappear again but router does not work properly as described before. So I think I have to get rid of this automatic ramdisk mounting. Looks like that I will need to look at the cource code, disable it and recompile.