PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : how ot setup a printer?

sup
22-02-2005, 20:01
Hi, I have asus wl-500g, firmware 1.7.5.9, windows xp sp2, and a printer HP deskjet 1220c (it connects via USB not LPT1). I tried to set up the printer according to the manual, but it does not work. There is no remote port in my computer so I tried to choose lpt1, as it is recomended and then run the printer setup wizard, but it does not change the lpt1 port to remote bporte but it asks me to create a new port. If I do so (tcp/ip port on 192.168.1.1), it still does not work. I even tried to setup a lprserver (though I do not know what it is) , but it did not help me either:-(. Have you got any ideas?

Oleg
22-02-2005, 20:20
Have you read FAQ (http://wl500g.info/faq.php?faq=asus_wl_x#faq_setuplprserver_xp_macos9 2_macosx) already?

sup
23-02-2005, 18:20
I have read them and I tried to follow those steps to set up a lpt server, but it did not work, I do not know why:-(. could a change of firmware help?

Styno
26-02-2005, 17:19
Well, reading FAQ and doing searches on this forum should get you up to speed.

There are firmwares where port 9100 is USB and 9101 is LPT (when using RAW printing), in others the port numbers are switched. That might solve your problem.

RAW printing does support most printers BTW.

sup
07-03-2005, 11:01
Well, I guess that the problem was in firmware, I upgraded from some oficial 1.7.something firmware to 1.8.2.1 firmware for deluxe version and everything is working fine now:-). thankx for help, though;-)

Styno
07-03-2005, 14:46
I warn you: The deluxe edition of the WL-500g is hardwarelike not the same as the WL-500g !!! And I also think the problem was in front of the monitor instead of the firmware.... ;)

The best option for you is to upgrade to 1.9.2.7 (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1614). This version should work fine with your printer. Make sure you upload the WL-500g version of the firmware and follow the proper upgrade steps as described in the start post.

max2950
07-03-2005, 17:07
Well, I guess that the problem was in firmware, I upgraded from some oficial 1.7.something firmware to 1.8.2.1 firmware for deluxe version and everything is working fine now:-). thankx for help, though;-)

If you are using Oleg's custom firmware 1.9.2.7 here is a nice how-to. (http://oleg.wl500g.info/printing/) I got my printer setup within 3 minutes ! :rolleyes:

sup
11-03-2005, 15:37
Styno:you might be right, but I doubt that I was doing everything wrong within that three hour`s trying, and just when I changed the firmware, I was enlightened and found the right solution;-).

anyway I took your warning into consideration (well, it might not have been the bst idea to use de deluxe firmware, but I somehow did not realize that:-() and I tryed to change the firmware t Oleg`s 1.9.2.7, but it did not work - I tried several other firmwares, but it did not work as well - it always uploads the file on auss(I can see that in Opera:-)) and then it says "Firmware Upgrade Fail !
Firmware upgrade fail. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmare and try again."

any idea what to do about it?

Styno
11-03-2005, 20:00
Use the firmware restoration tool to upload the firmware (instead of the webbased firmware update method). This tool is on the CD you got when you bought your WL-500g (Otherwise download it from the Asus website).

Follow the usersmanual on howto upload firmware using the firmware restoration tool and upload this one (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1614). Your printer should work with that firmware when following the link given by max2950.

sup
11-03-2005, 23:33
well, I have already tried that (sorry i did not say) and I tried it once more and it just says "no wireless device in recovery mode was found". It is also written in the manual that the restoration utility works only with devices in recovery mode (when there is something wrong with the firmware), my asus 500g works perfectly fine, although it has not got the right firmware...

since I found only one post from max2950, which was without links, I guess you meant this firmware: WL500g-1.9.2.7-3c.trx ?

I guess I could upload WL500gx-1.9.2.7-3c.trx, but it would be only fleeing the orc to be catched by the wolwes;-)

Styno
12-03-2005, 13:20
well, I have already tried that (sorry i did not say) and I tried it once more and it just says "no wireless device in recovery mode was found". It is also written in the manual that the restoration utility works only with devices in recovery mode (when there is something wrong with the firmware), my asus 500g works perfectly fine, although it has not got the right firmware...When you want to change your firmware ALLWAYS use a wired connection to the router! Never use a wireless connection, its not safe and prone for errors. Some users have reported they successfully upgraded their firmware wireless though. There are good ways to do things and better ways: wired is better. :cool:

You better also do a reset of the router first to make sure you have enough free memory to do the upgrading.

since I found only one post from max2950, which was without links, I guess you meant this firmware: WL500g-1.9.2.7-3c.trx ?See my post again, there's some underlined text which is a hyperlink to the firmware. Click on the underlined text. And yes, WL500g-1.9.2.7-3c.trx is the correct firmware.

In max2950' post there is a hyperlink to the 'setup printer howto'. Check his post again, you missed it.

I guess I could upload WL500gx-1.9.2.7-3c.trx, but it would be only fleeing the orc to be catched by the wolwes;-)Why? If you own a WL-500g this is the latest firmware from Oleg which works great for many people, including myself.

If your router refuses to install that firmware if you followed all the steps for upgrading properly, you might have a mislabled router (Perhaps its a WL-500 or WL-500gx).

sup
12-03-2005, 20:23
no, I used the wired way, it only wrote that - I do not know why. But i know for sure I can't use the restoration tool because my router is not in the recovery mode (would it be safe to cause that mode (how?) and then upload the right firmware?)

I can see it now, sorry to misunderstood you.

No, this time you misunderstood me;). I said I could upload the WL500gx-1.9.2.7-3c.trx firmware, which is for the deluxe version. Since I am trying to flash any firmware for 500wlg, there is no point in uppgrading to that firmware (I tried it and it worked, though). I would like to flash the WL500g-1.9.2.7-3c.trx firmaware for wl500g to my router, but I must flash any firmware for 500wlg first.
And I am sure I have wl500g - it has only one usb port (deluxe has two, does not it?) and it can send data at 54mbit speed (b can do only 11, does not it)?

well, the question is, how to flash a firmware for wl500g in it?

sup
12-03-2005, 21:19
well, I tried and searched a little bit the chupa.nl and I found how to initiate the recovery mode. it is here http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1017&page=2&highlight=wrong+flash
and antiloop says there
"so connect by wire, assign static ip

power OFF the WL-HDD first
then press and HOLD the button
then power ON the WL-HDD
wait until the power led is going to blink
then release the button
start firmware restore from your pc (using the firmware restore util, the one from wl500g will do fine. I never used the one from wl-hdd cd)

woila new firmware"
it is for WL-HDD but it works for WL-500g as well - at least for me:-). And it also works with dynamic ip assigned by DHCP:-).

So, i have the proper firmware in my router now, huraah:-).

Styno:thanx for helping me;-)

Styno
12-03-2005, 21:26
Quite some misunderstanding in this topic apperantly :)

Firmware upgrade through webinterface:
- Download the firmware you want to install.
- Reboot your router (or do a power cycle).
- Use the webinterface to upload the correct firmware. Double check if you're uploading the correct firmware before uploading!
- Wait for the upgrade process to finish. If it takes more the 10 minutes to finish then refresh the webinterface (Press F5 in IE).
- Upgrading should be finished.

If, for some reason, this does not work then you should try to upgrade the firmware using the firmware restoration tool. This takes 3 steps:
1) Configure Windows TCP/IP networking to have static IP address 192.168.1.10.

2) To enter the firmware restoration mode on the WL-500g:
- Disconnect the power cable
- Press the reset button on the back of the router
- Keep pressing the reset button while inserting the power cable again
- Keep pressing the reset button until the power LED starts flashing every second.

3) Upload the firmware
- Start the firmware restoration tool on your PC
- This tool should find the Asus router -> select it.
- Select the correct firmware file you want to upload. Double check again if its the correct one!
- Press upload
Check your users manual on how to do that (Its described in chapter 3 on page 80).
- Press 'Upload' and wait until uploading has finished.

Edit: Damn, just too late. But I'm glad you found out yourself. I'm updating the 'Firmware upgrading HOWTO' now...

sup
12-03-2005, 21:44
well, the end is good, everything is good:-)(Is this an english proverb - I never know what I can translate directly and what I cant:-)).

I hope that this how to will help many that will come after me:-) - but I definitely learned something by my trying:-).

Styno
12-03-2005, 22:28
Well I still think you should put a firmware in your WL-500g router which is meant for a WL-500g and not a WL-HDD or WL-500gx. But anyway, if you're happy then all is well indeed.

For the completeness of this thread: Firmware Upgrading HOWTO (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1329)

sup
13-03-2005, 10:29
no, this is some misunderstanding again:-)

I do have firmware for wl500g now in my firmware - that is why I am happy:-).