PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : wl-500g deluxe problems

majx
14-02-2005, 14:04
2) This unit uses single ethernet switch for both WAN and LAN ports, which is integrated to the CPU. The huge problem is that as of bootloader version 1.33 this switch remains in the unconfigured state until firmware is loaded (this tooks some time) and during this phase this box acts as dumb switch. This means, that WAN and LAN networks are NOT separated. This could lead to several problems:
a) if you use DHCP for both WAN connection and LAN and configured wl500g deluxe with cloned MAC address, your internal PC with that address could grab incorrect (external) IP address and other settings from the EXTERNAL DHCP server, causing lost of connectivity then wl500g deluxe finally boots;

Do you mean, turning on the box -> you have at least eth0-2?
And an unconfigured WAN-IF and br0 (until config read from nvram)?

Flashing FW with a recompiled one...do you recompile/flash that bootloader too or is it a seperate sw?

Oleg
14-02-2005, 14:31
Do you mean, turning on the box -> you have at least eth0-2?
And an unconfigured WAN-IF and br0 (until config read from nvram)?

I'm talking of physical interfaces, not their logical names.

Flashing FW with a recompiled one...do you recompile/flash that bootloader too or is it a seperate sw?
This is a separate part with closed sources.

majx
14-02-2005, 15:25
This is a separate part with closed sources. But in general it's a linux ;)
in this case with existing boot-line-up ->
bootloader starts kernel & init (and rc-scripts) witch are all hardcoded as c-src. changing that srs-es to disable all NIC-hw until boot suceeds and then enabling it would make it at least a bit more secure...

Oleg
14-02-2005, 15:42
But in general it's a linux ;)
in this case with existing boot-line-up ->
bootloader starts kernel & init (and rc-scripts) witch are all hardcoded as c-src. changing that srs-es to disable all NIC-hw until boot suceeds and then enabling it would make it at least a bit more secure...
The time spent in the bootloader and loading kernel is enough to break the things. I do not want to "workaround" bootloader bugs, they should be fixed by ASUS and existing units should be replaced/upgraded or whatever.

msp
14-02-2005, 19:06
Bad news :(
The wl500g deluxe is just available in france today since a few hours http://www.materiel.net/details_WL-500gDeluxe.html
I was buying one unit when I have decided to check the latest news on the forum :eek:
Oleg have you got any answer from asus about this problem ?

Oleg
14-02-2005, 19:34
Bad news :(
The wl500g deluxe is just available in france today since a few hours http://www.materiel.net/details_WL-500gDeluxe.html
I was buying one unit when I have decided to check the latest news on the forum :eek:
Oleg have you got any answer from asus about this problem ?
Well, I've submitted this to Asus Russia Tech Support, but have not got any answer yet.

Also, if you use pppoe connection, then this issue should not affect you too much.

lexi
26-02-2005, 06:27
Any news from Asus on this issue?

Oleg, you mentioned that there is no JTAG port on the 500gx. Do you know where to find the JTAG connections, so that one can "add" a JTAG port to the device?

Is it possible to flash the bootloader for end users, or must Asus replace the hole unit to change/upgrade the bootloader?

Oleg
26-02-2005, 10:22
Any news from Asus on this issue?

According to ASUS Russia, ASUS contacted Broadcom on this issue.

Oleg, you mentioned that there is no JTAG port on the 500gx. Do you know where to find the JTAG connections, so that one can "add" a JTAG port to the device?

Nope. I've no idea.

Is it possible to flash the bootloader for end users, or must Asus replace the hole unit to change/upgrade the bootloader?
Yes, this is possible, but requires small modification to firmware to allow writing to this area.

hEiFoN
06-03-2005, 01:55
hi to all,
I bought a WL-500g Deluxe and due to a problem with FTP server configuration I found this site. I have read Oleg's warning and I'm worried. I would have to give it back? Oleg says that Asus sent an update to him that it fixes the problems but is possible to update bootloader only via software? When it will be available for all?

Oleg
06-03-2005, 11:41
Just wait. I need some time to prepare update. But most likely you're not affected at all.

hEiFoN
06-03-2005, 16:31
Thanks Oleg, may be that you haven't understood me because I didn't explain it very well (I have bad English :p). I tried to say that I have two days to return the WL-500gx to shop and I would like to know what is better option (in security themes):
- To change the WL-500gx to WL-500g
- Not to return it and to update bootloader.

And only one more question: Why Asus don't release update officially?

Thanks a lot.
Best Regards.

Oleg
08-03-2005, 19:41
- Not to return it and to update bootloader.

This one.

And only one more question: Why Asus don't release update officially?
I've no idea.

Morlog
19-03-2005, 11:43
To upgrade your unit you will need a PC with one ethernet adapter only, so if you've more than one adapter (including wireless, ieee1394 or whatever) please disable it. You need to configure your adapter with manual IP. Consider using 192.168.1.2 as an IP address and an IP mask of 255.255.255.0. Once you've configured your adapter follow next step

In my NIC stands also Gateway and DNS on 192.16.1.1 must that remove? My cable modem must also remove? Do the bootloader have with utility Eng_1380 done?

Gerard

kiewer
21-03-2005, 13:55
Oleg says:

DO NOT TRY TO USE THIS SOFTWARE WITH THE UNITS OTHER THAN WL-500g Deluxe RETAIL UNITS.
But how to know wether it is RETAIL or non-RETAIL unit?

I have just ordered one hier - https://www3.alternate.de/html/shop/productListing4C.html?group=manufacturerName&cat1=17&cat2=67&cat3=000&cat1=125&cat2=999&cat3=999&&treeName=HARDWARE&Level1=Netzwerk&Level2=Router&Level3=#Asus (and it seems that only wl-500g is retail, but not the DELUXE unit).

Thanks.

Antiloop
21-03-2005, 23:21
Oleg says:

But how to know wether it is RETAIL or non-RETAIL unit?

I have just ordered one hier - https://www3.alternate.de/html/shop/productListing4C.html?group=manufacturerName&cat1=17&cat2=67&cat3=000&cat1=125&cat2=999&cat3=999&&treeName=HARDWARE&Level1=Netzwerk&Level2=Router&Level3=#Asus (and it seems that only wl-500g is retail, but not the DELUXE unit).

Thanks.
where are you quoting this from?

DO NOT TRY TO USE THIS SOFTWARE WITH THE UNITS OTHER THAN WL-500g Deluxe RETAIL UNITS.

anyway WL500g Deluxe = retail when it is delivered in a box, also never seen OEM WL500g's/Deluxes

kiewer
22-03-2005, 10:15
where are you quoting this from?
from this http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=11987&postcount=4

But now I guess that Oleg had in mind RETAIL - not SAMPLE (i.e. issued by ASUS for evaluation purposes only).

Nevertheless it's strange that ASUS marks some products as RETAIL and other not (as we can see from web-shops).

Antiloop
22-03-2005, 10:43
from this http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=11987&postcount=4

But now I guess that Oleg had in mind RETAIL - not SAMPLE (i.e. issued by ASUS for evaluation purposes only).

Nevertheless it's strange that ASUS marks some products as RETAIL and other not (as we can see from web-shops).
Asus does not mark them as retail, the webshops or their distributors do this

the evaluation routers are in fact the same (same box, same cd, same manual etc..), but had the wrong bootloader together with some retail units

kiewer
22-03-2005, 11:04
Asus does not mark them as retail, the webshops or their distributors do this

the evaluation routers are in fact the same (same box, same cd, same manual etc..), but had the wrong bootloader together with some retail units
so, what do you think Oleg means when says "only RETAIL"? not OEM? But I can't imaging that wlan routers saled as OEM, because it mostly end-user oriented products.

Oleg
22-03-2005, 18:40
Yes, RETAIL (production) is not SAMPLE (pre-production sample). I've never heard of OEM versions at all (except wl500g clone sold as Mitsubishi in Australia).
Everything bought in the stores (including web) are RETAIL products, regardless of their labelings (as guys in this stores usually just copy paste info typed by blonde girl :D which has no idea of technical things).
If you got it boxed with manuals, cables, AC/DC adaptors, CDs - think of it as of RETAIL (production) unit. Pre-production samples are mostly used for promotions/certification and should not hit stores.

kiewer
29-03-2005, 11:20
Oleg, thanks for reply.

Just inform you, that I got wl-500g deluxe with nvram ver. 1.33 and 32Mb ram already enabled. Serial number begins with 51*.

Oleg
29-03-2005, 11:30
Oleg, thanks for reply.

Just inform you, that I got wl-500g deluxe with nvram ver. 1.33 and 32Mb ram already enabled. Serial number begins with 51*.
This is really interesting. Could you please send your bootloader to me? Type the following:

cat /dev/mtd/0 > /tmp/harddisk/cfe.bin

This should put it to your usb drive.

kiewer
29-03-2005, 21:35
ok, bootloader is attached.

Oleg
30-03-2005, 08:18
ok, thanks. You could remove your attachment now.
I've checked it. It has 32MB enabled by default, but it appears that WAN port problem is still there. Could you please try the following: switch wl500gx to firmware restoration mode: turn off, push button, turn on (keeping button pressed), wait one second, release the button. It should start blinking with power led. Assign 192.168.1.2 static IP to wired PC, connect it to LAN port and try pinging 192.168.1.1. It should reply to you, indicating, that you've done everything above correctly. Then connect your PC to the WAN port and try pinging again (the device still should be in the firmware restoration mode). If you get an answer - WAN port still have problems and you need to update your bootloader...
Please let me know of your results.

kiewer
30-03-2005, 22:21
Hi Oleg,

you are right, it answers when connected to WAN port as well. So there is still a problem.

Generally I don't have so much concerns about this bug, because my home network is really simple - just one PC which is not always online and sometimes wlan connected laptop. So if you say that pmon upgrade somehow risky I would prefer not to do it. But may be will try on weekend :)

---
spasibo tebe ogromnoe za novoe firmware i za etot forum voobsche :)
---

regards,
Gennadiy.

Oleg
31-03-2005, 16:07
Ok, thank you for your findings. :)

guerby
17-04-2005, 09:07
Hi, my WL500GX (bought in Paris) has a serial number starting with 53 and hardware version WL500gx-01-03-01-33. cat /proc/cpuinfo gives 200 MHz and meminfo says 32MB of RAM.

Anything special I should know? I haven't seen those serial/hardware numbers in the forums yet (not read everything yet too :).

I have only Linux machines at home, is MS windows necessary for some firmware upgrade operation?

Thanks in advance,

Laurent

Oleg
17-04-2005, 09:27
Hi, my WL500GX (bought in Paris) has a serial number starting with 53 and hardware version WL500gx-01-03-01-33. cat /proc/cpuinfo gives 200 MHz and meminfo says 32MB of RAM.

I've just updated serials to mention 53. You need to upgrade your bootloader, as it still have WAN port issue.

Oleg
17-04-2005, 09:48
And yes, you need Windows box.

guerby
17-04-2005, 11:46
And yes, you need Windows box.

Thanks Oleg for your messages.

Problem is I don't have Windows at all.

I tried "wine burnboot.exe" and the first steps were fine, then it got a timeout (normal since my 192.168.1.1 gateway is currently not the WL500GX). Looking at "strace wine burnboot.exe", it first tries to run arp probably to try to find the WL500GX:

stat64("/home/guerby/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system/arp -d 192.168.1.1", 0x406ddb78) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

It fails (of course), then it does a few TFTP sendmsg to 192.168.1.1 (probably harcoded if arp fails):

sendmsg(20, {msg_name(16)={sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(69), sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.1.1")}, msg_iov(1)=[{"\0\1ASUSSPACELINK\1\1\250\300\0", 20}], msg_controllen=0, msg_flags=0}, 0) = 20

It does stat64 pmon.bin but I can't see a succesful open in the trace, may be it opens it later and at first is just checking the file is there.

If it's just a TFTP, does someone have a contact with ASUS people? The protocol to update the bootloader might not be that complicated, so a Linux tool or simple tftp script should be doable.

Otherwise I'll have to do the thing for real from wine, did anyone try those exe with wine before me?

Laurent

Oleg
17-04-2005, 12:52
Yes, it's driven by tftp, but it use extra "fake" transfer. It appears to be similar to flashing firmware from linux.
But I would not recommend playing with it, as it could make a brick from your router. It's better to use real Windows box.

guerby
17-04-2005, 13:29
Is the bootloader fix absolutely necessary?

It looks like it fixes some transcient state problems at reboot, for now as I use the WL500GX only as Access Point (I have another router/firewall on my internet connection with only ssh enabled), I shouldn't be affected by the issue described, right? (Also my hw version is 1.3/1.33 not 1.1/1.33)

Note that "Performing old bootloader backup" instructions did not work for me, after refresh nothing happens and the file is not created. "echo test > /tmp/harddisk/test.ttxt" did not work either, but I did get a correct file listing out of "ls -la /tmp/harddisk".

My firmware is 1.8.2.1, is there anyway I could telnet into the WL500GX?

Oleg
17-04-2005, 17:50
Is the bootloader fix absolutely necessary?

It looks like it fixes some transcient state problems at reboot, for now as I use the WL500GX only as Access Point (I have another router/firewall on my internet connection with only ssh enabled), I shouldn't be affected by the issue described, right? (Also my hw version is 1.3/1.33 not 1.1/1.33)

Yes, you do not need this in the AP mode.

Note that "Performing old bootloader backup" instructions did not work for me, after refresh nothing happens and the file is not created. "echo test > /tmp/harddisk/test.ttxt" did not work either, but I did get a correct file listing out of "ls -la /tmp/harddisk".

Well, you need to have ftp enabled, otherwise your drive would no be mounted. Also, have you entered command inside braces?

My firmware is 1.8.2.1, is there anyway I could telnet into the WL500GX?
You need to use custom firmware to telnet to the router.

guerby
17-04-2005, 20:23
Well, you need to have ftp enabled, otherwise your drive would no be mounted. Also, have you entered command inside braces?

FTP was enabled, but I just plugged my USB key into the WL500GX, then the ls command showed me my existing files but the command (including parentheses and refresh, no enter) did not produce anything on the key (I checked by plugging the key in my computer after a while on the WL500GX). I didn't find an equivalent of dmesg or /var/log/messages by poking around, so I don't know why no command on the WL500GX seem to write anything on my USB key.

You need to use custom firmware to telnet to the router.

The latest is 1.9.3.6 BETA, is it supposed to work or is there a significant risk?

Tuur
28-04-2005, 17:42
I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but I've got a model starting with S/N 52 and my /proc/meminfo also stated 30920704.

The upgrade went fine, the only thing I noticed was Oleg talked about a RESTORE button where my unit says RESET. ;)

jp30
30-05-2005, 00:35
I finally got hold of a windows box in order to fix the bootloader problems on my wl500gx. I was stuck for a long time because I had earlier changed the IP number of my unit to 192.168.1.10 (there is already a 192.168.1.1 on my home network). This resulted in a "Timeout!" error from bootburn.exe.

After changing the IP back to 192.168.1.1 it worked fine. It would have been helpful if the (otherwise very good) instructions had noted this.

Ritesh
03-06-2005, 11:09
How do i get i firmware restoration mode?

FOUND OUT ALREADY, MUST BE RESET BUTTON INSTEAD OF RESTORE

Ritesh
03-06-2005, 11:49
How can i see wether 32 mb is enabled or not?

Styno
03-06-2005, 15:09
How can i see wether 32 mb is enabled or not?
With the command 'free' or 'top'.

Ritesh
03-06-2005, 15:21
hmm

Can you explain further?

Where should i use the command free or top?

sodb
03-06-2005, 16:02
Use command in telnet or ssh prompt or in the web page under System Setup --> System Command: remember to press refresh button!

Two outputs of 'free' command:

On Asus wl-500g

[admin@asus root]$ free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 13948 12156 1792 0 364
Swap: 0 0 0
Total: 13948 12156 1792

On asus wl-500gx

[admin@wl500gx root]$ free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 30156 12104 18052 0 1516
Swap: 0 0 0
Total: 30156 12104 18052

Total: wl500g 14 MByte, gx 30Mbyte; Diffrence free approx.16 Mbyte --> 32 Mbyte is enabled in Asus wl-500gx

Ritesh
04-06-2005, 00:54
I installed the Oleg 1.9.2.7 - 5a firmware and it works now thanks!

I had installed the Asus official 1.9.4.0 firmware.

Olegs is 1.9.2.7 -5a, the versionnumber is lower than the official one, did i just downgrade? Or did Oleg extended the 1.9.4.0 firmware and called it 1.9.2.7-5a?

Besides that, it is enough to install olegs 1.9.2.7-5a firmware or do i have to install his previous versions also?

A lot of questions, sorry!
Hope i can get an answer.

Ritesh
07-06-2005, 21:25
Hi there

No response? I would be please if someon can answer the question.

Thanks

Styno
07-06-2005, 21:40
Maybe noone answered because with a bit of careful reading you would've known the answer. Sorry for being so blunt, but I feel it's the truth.

The previous firmwere you were using (1.9.4.0) was a BETA firmware. It says so specifically: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=2254

The current official stable firmware from Asus (1.9.2.7) has been modified by Oleg to 1.9.2.7 CR5a (His 5th Custom Release, 'a' revision).

Oleg will release a custom firmware with a higher version number when Asus releases a new official stable firmware and also releases the source code nessesary to compile a custom release.

Hope this clears it.

Ritesh
09-06-2005, 16:02
Ok thanks for your answer.

Neither on this site or the ASUS site you can find an official firmware named 1.9.2.7 (or it even exists). Thats why i did not get why Oleg's firmware was named 1.9.2.7 -5a.
Secondly Oleg's 1.9.2.7 -5a firmware was released later than the Asus official BETA 1.9.4.0 which brought me up to that question also.

I understand it now.

I'm not that familiar with firmware.

What i do not understand/know is the following:

When i install Oleg's revision firmware 1.9.2.7-5a i will profit the fixed bugs and Oleg's custom fixes. But when i will install 1.9.4.0 Beta Asus firmware, will i loose Oleg's custom fixes from 1.9.2.7-5a? Are they overwritten by 1.9.4.0 Beta firmware or something like that? Or will i keep the fixes from Oleg and profit the 1.9.4.0 fixes also?

That's the part i do not understand fully yet.

I hope its not a blunt question this time.

Hoping you can help me out!

thanks

Styno
09-06-2005, 17:28
What i do not understand/know is the following:

When i install Oleg's revision firmware 1.9.2.7-5a i will profit the fixed bugs and Oleg's custom fixes. But when i will install 1.9.4.0 Beta Asus firmware, will i loose Oleg's custom fixes from 1.9.2.7-5a? Are they overwritten by 1.9.4.0 Beta firmware or something like that? Or will i keep the fixes from Oleg and profit the 1.9.4.0 fixes also?

That's the part i do not understand fully yet.
There is no way that you can use the fixes from two firmware by just flashing them back-to-back to the router. The firmware that is current in your router determines what works/fixes/features are present in the router.

Consider installing Windows 98 and Windows 2000 on the same machine:
You first install '98
Then you format your drive
You install 2000

This won't give you the combined features from 98 and 2000. This example is pretty much the same as installing firmwares, they are completely independend of each other.

Ritesh
09-06-2005, 17:50
Thanks

Its Clear now;)

AlbertG1984
27-07-2005, 12:23
A few weeks ago i bought a WL500Gx. Before updating the bootloader i checked the hardware revision and it returned this:

nvram get hardware_version
WL500gd-01-04-01-50

I thought Asus didn't ship units with a repaired bootloader? The serialnr of my unit starts with 53.

If the hardware revision is ok, do i know for sure i have the right bootloader? I have 32 mb of RAM, i already checked that. How do i check for the LAN/WAN port problem?

Oleg
27-07-2005, 12:44
This router seems to be updated by tech support stuff. There is no need to update the bootloader.

Pjotrek
07-08-2005, 18:56
Just bought my second WL500gx (in Sweden).
Serial no 54...., boot loader 01-04-01-50.
Seems they have started delivering units with the new loader.

...Bought my third unit (friday 13th!) Jan 2006:
Serial 45..., boot loader 01-04-01-50.

Isidor
29-08-2005, 09:52
Hi Oleg

Just to tell I've applied the Bootloader upgrade as explained in post
http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1704

I've just purchased 2 wl-500gx in France, both of the where old versions
- WL500gx-01-01-01-33: 16Mo
- WL500gx-01-03-01-33: 32Mo

I've Upgraded the second one, out off the box without issue.

For the the first one, I was using it already and configured on a 10.x.x.x network.
The burnboot.exe failed with my windows PC on 192.168.1.2 and failed also with an 10.x.x.x IP address.
Reseting the default factory config brings back the WL500 to the 192... so I could acheive the process.

It might help other people

Tanks a lot for your firmare and support
Isidor

Sascha
31-10-2005, 20:39
Hi All,
I am new hier and find this forum super. But for my question I can not found answer. I have updated bootloader in my g500gx (SN starts with 52). My old version were 01-03-01-33. I have backup from them (cat /dev/mtd/0 > /tmp/harddisk/cfe.bin). But how can I restore it? The file size is different as I have in in pmon.zip. With new bootloader (01-04-01-50) I have a strange problem with my USB2.0 Drive. If I connect it to router, router is very slow. Response from Internet and router it self is very very slow. After reboot I can not ping it, web interface is also not available. Flash with recovery utility from asus does not help. But after some time it answers pings and works fine until I connect drive. Mybe, it have nothing to do with bootloader, I will test it.
Thanx a lot !

Oleg
01-11-2005, 09:46
Do not waste your time. The bootloader has nothing to do with usb stuff.

Bratwurst
25-01-2006, 15:52
Hello,

wenn i buy a wl-500gx these days, ist the problem with the bootloader still existing? Or does ASUS just sell fixed routers?

thx

zagi
17-03-2006, 08:36
Hello!

I am a new user on this forum, i found it interesting also a have one problem.

I can't use ip with 255 in wan ip, the latest asus firmware don't acceppt IP with no. 255 (i recceive message xy.255.xx.xz is not a valid IP adress.)

The IS provider changed IP(with 255 no.), so for now on i can't use router.
Can please anyone tell me what can i do.

Best regards!

And thanks for helping me!
p.s. I tried to reach asus help desk, they said that thea are not planing any new firmware updates for router WL 500 g deluxe that i have.

Sascha
22-06-2006, 11:10
Do not waste your time. The bootloader has nothing to do with usb stuff.

You are right. Bootloader has nothing to do with USB, sorry for stupid question.

Now I have the same problem, what describes in http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=4892&goto=nextnewest. (Router has a problem at power-up. After some hours ...or some days it coms again.) I have waranty and will send router to asus support. Before I can do it, I will restore original old bootloader and asus original firmware. With bootloader I have problem:)

could you say please, how can I restore my old backup from bootloader?
I tryed (cat /tmp/harddisk/cfe.bin > /dev/mtd/0) but it does not work, exception is:
"cannot create /dev/mtd/0: Permission denied"

Thanks a lot

Oleg
22-06-2006, 11:12
Do not restore a bootloader. This is an official upgrade.

Sascha
22-06-2006, 11:20
Do not restore a bootloader. This is an official upgrade.
Ok, thank you. I try it with asus firmware and new bootloader...

Me2
17-08-2006, 17:03
Hello!

I am a new user on this forum, i found it interesting also a have one problem.

I can't use ip with 255 in wan ip, the latest asus firmware don't acceppt IP with no. 255 (i recceive message xy.255.xx.xz is not a valid IP adress.)

The IS provider changed IP(with 255 no.), so for now on i can't use router.
Can please anyone tell me what can i do.

Best regards!

And thanks for helping me!
p.s. I tried to reach asus help desk, they said that thea are not planing any new firmware updates for router WL 500 g deluxe that i have.

------------------------------------------------

Same problem here on a Asus wl500gP
Does not accept an ip in 212.0.255. range
Helpdesk very unresponcive till now
Steven