PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : [Wireless] Which PCI card works best with WL-500g?

Twofish
08-03-2004, 16:24
I have the ASUS WL-138g PCI card and im 5-6 meters from the router and i am constantly low or wery low signal strength. A friend of mine is using a Dell laptop with some pccard and he's getting excellent signal strength.

I have tried boosting the power output to 84 but that dont help.
Maybe my pci card is not well...

What pci cards are you guys using?

eikari
23-03-2004, 19:01
Hi

I'm also using the WL-138g and experience the same problem. I have managed to to get fair signal strength, after adjusting the antenna back and forth.

I'm also having trouble with the connection. Suddenly the connection is lost and I have to disable/enable the Wireless network to get the connection back.... :mad: I don't like this card, and I'm thinking of getteing a new one (different brand).

oCe
24-04-2004, 21:20
Same problem with the wl-138g here, can't recommend that one. It's in the box again, will try again when a new / better driver is released; until then, it's just a crap-card imho. Didn't expected that from Asus. Have had an Sitecom WL-122 54g+ (100mbit) pci-card in my pc, which worked perfectly. Good/excellent signal strength, with no problems what so ever; whereas the Wl-138g had low/no connection at the same distance/pc.

Technik
25-04-2004, 23:51
I have also quickly tested the WL-138g card and I can confirm that driver for Windows is a piece of shit... :( Perhaps the next version will be better...

Veri
02-07-2004, 13:43
Another issue with this card: I called up their tech support about it, and they told me that it's normal behaviour for the WL-138g for the LED to blink continuously when connected to an AP (though deviating from the documentation, and not mentioned anywhere online). When I clarified that there was definitely no data transfer reported by the router, the assistant switched to a rant about possible spyware/trojans/viruses so I'm not sure if he knew for sure...

Perhaps I should investigate putting the WL-500g into "promiscuous wireless" mode to listen out for any strange things being sent out. I got a chance to play with a 3com OfficeConnect PCMCIA card in a laptop yesterday and found that, actually, signal strength to the WL-500g was slightly _better_ with the 138g, although if I reoriented the laptop awkwardly enough they'd about match...

..and it *doesn't* exhibit the reporting-continuous-activity behaviour, so the problem almost certainly isn't with the WL-500g (good!).

[topic moved from thread " with wl-138g: dodgy signal strength, led always flashing " which can probably be deleted for neatness :-)]

Rynno
06-07-2004, 18:56
I'm using the Asus WL100g pcmcia card, works perfectly...
But maybe it isn't interesting, it's not a PCI card.

Tbone
24-08-2004, 23:26
I can confirm the Asus Wl-138G is "very" bad :(
I tried all drivers but the are all just as bad... now I use the drv given through windows update on my Win XP Pro SP2 system.

With WEP128 encryption I can get it to work... but after a day a reboot is needed for sure to be able to reconnect. Somehow the NIC dies after some time and a reconnect can`t fix it. The distance is also limited.
With WPA-TKIP speed drops to 5,5 and gives same instable connection.

Also SMC 2802 PCI cards are terrible :( first getting them installed can be tricky and needs a new procedure for every different system... than once it runs reboots are also needed once in a while to be able to keep contact with the AP.

I installed a SiteCom 100G PCI card for a customer... and I was very suprised to see WPA-TKIP encryption in the Client manager delivered with it on a W2K system. Has anyone tested how and if this card works with the WL-500G? and also in a WPA-TKIP W2K or W2K3 system combination?

I would really start doubting the WL-500G for its quality if it wasnt that it really runs problem free with about 25 laptops at my work with mixed brand onboard MiniPCI and pcmcia adapters at 11 & 54Mbps mode with W2K and XP.

Its strange that the quality of pcmcia and miniPCI cards is so much better than PCI models :confused: or is there an explanation for this...

I`m curious for a list of really good working PCI adapters (HCL) and with what encryption they can be used with the WL-500G.
I think I read somewhere in the forum its an future page option... good work guys!!!

Antiloop
25-08-2004, 09:33
I can confirm the Asus Wl-138G is "very" bad :(
I tried all drivers but the are all just as bad... now I use the drv given through windows update on my Win XP Pro SP2 system.

With WEP128 encryption I can get it to work... but after a day a reboot is needed for sure to be able to reconnect. Somehow the NIC dies after some time and a reconnect can`t fix it. The distance is also limited.
With WPA-TKIP speed drops to 5,5 and gives same instable connection.

Also SMC 2802 PCI cards are terrible :( first getting them installed can be tricky and needs a new procedure for every different system... than once it runs reboots are also needed once in a while to be able to keep contact with the AP.

I installed a SiteCom 100G PCI card for a customer... and I was very suprised to see WPA-TKIP encryption in the Client manager delivered with it on a W2K system. Has anyone tested how and if this card works with the WL-500G? and also in a WPA-TKIP W2K or W2K3 system combination?

I would really start doubting the WL-500G for its quality if it wasnt that it really runs problem free with about 25 laptops at my work with mixed brand onboard MiniPCI and pcmcia adapters at 11 & 54Mbps mode with W2K and XP.

Its strange that the quality of pcmcia and miniPCI cards is so much better than PCI models :confused: or is there an explanation for this...

I`m curious for a list of really good working PCI adapters (HCL) and with what encryption they can be used with the WL-500G.
I think I read somewhere in the forum its an future page option... good work guys!!!

for PCI buy the Linksys WMP54g this one is powered by a broadcom chipset, the same as the WL100g/WL120g(used in wl500g) uses and is problem free

and it also does support WPA / WPA-PSK AES/TKIP

Tbone
03-09-2004, 06:46
for PCI buy the Linksys WMP54g this one is powered by a broadcom chipset, the same as the WL100g/WL120g(used in wl500g) uses and is problem free

and it also does support WPA / WPA-PSK AES/TKIP

THANX FOR THE TIP ANTILOOP!!! I went to the store immediately, and found a card for 60 euro. I should have known this some time ago to safe me some time testing cards :)

This is the first "PCI" card I tried that works as well with the WL-500g as the pcmcia cards I tried (Intel 2100 series, Lucent Orinoco, Wl-100g). All encryption modes supported and full 54mbit connection in every part of the house. Also connection are reliable/stay stable and it reconnects automaticaly without actions needed after a reboot of the access point.

I now use it with both AES/TKIP encryption on my WinXP SP2 and Wl-500G with firmware 1.8.1.9 and I must say it performs wonderfully in AP mode!!!
It reconnects very fast, performance is good and it stays connected long time (more than a day now) without reconnecting/restarting.

I must add a comment to this the card:
I bought was the WMP54Gv2 model... as far as I understood there is also a WMP54Gv4 around... but carefull with this model since it doenst have a Broadcom chip but a Realtek... haven`t tested this one so don`t know if it works aswell as the v2. It says on the box what model it is... so look for v2!

Another interresting thing we tested is the antenna.... the Linksys comes with a huge one :confused: so we wondered if it works better than a small one that comes for example with the Wl-138g. We hooked it up to a analyser... and found out that the small antenna is better adjusted to the 2.4GHz range than the big one. If you for example hook up the smaller WL-138G antenna to the Linksys card instead of the monsterous antenna that comes with the box you will have a coverage block more in your client manager. Maybe the bigger one works to get the signal away from a lot of cabeling behind your computer if you have problems with disturbance... but for me the little one works better :D see ... size doesnt always matter LOL

arfel
03-09-2004, 12:12
With some recent drivers from the asus site my WL-138G was seen
as Marvel network adapter and the reception someting like 5-6 meters
(3 concrete walls between WL-500G) was extremly poor dropping constantly.
With original drivers from the Asus CD, connection strength varies between
33-45% and speed is between 11-54mbps.
My pc runs win2000.

arfel

Antiloop
03-09-2004, 12:33
With some recent drivers from the asus site my WL-138G was seen
as Marvel network adapter and the reception someting like 5-6 meters
(3 concrete walls between WL-500G) was extremly poor dropping constantly.
With original drivers from the Asus CD, connection strength varies between
33-45% and speed is between 11-54mbps.
My pc runs win2000.

arfel

if you have questions about drivers etc ask them in the WL138g part of the forum
http://wl500g.info/forumdisplay.php?f=54

pekr
03-09-2004, 23:50
I'm using several Ovislink Wl-8000PCI cards (installed with all kinds of Windows versions), together with few WL-500g (WEP128) without any problems. It just works.