PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Setting up crontab and other boot questions

nOBeLium
03-02-2005, 14:37
I've been trying to search for information on how to set up crontab but I haven't found anything usefull yet.

1) In which directory should I put my boot files? (/sbin)?
2) How can I start services, since asus router doesn't feature 'xinetd'?
3) Which files should I flashfs to save to ram (since I'm using an usb dongle of 64mb for extra storage)?. I see that etc -> mapped to tmp/etc and var -> mapped to tmp/var.
4) How to prepare crontab? Drop binary to /bin ?

Sorry for these questions but I'm sure I'm missing something on the way asus boots. I consider myself a little bit experienced in linux if that solves any problem :)

Thanks,

EDIT: I just noticed I posted on wrong forum. Excuse me, please move to Q&A. Thanks.

Oleg
03-02-2005, 17:46
You need to provide at least firmware version and if it's one of the custom firmwares, then read entire http://oleg.wl500g.info page.

phoenix
03-02-2005, 21:27
for cron:

- create directory '/var/spool/cron/crontabs'.
- write your cron jobs to a file in that directory that is named after your user (admin normally).
- add that file's path to /usr/local/.files (create it if its not there) (e.g. 'echo /var/spooler/cron/crontabs/admin >> /usr/local.files') - so it survives a reboot
- into the /usr/local/sbin/post-boot script add the following line: '/bin/busybox crond'. (create if missing)

Save the changes with the following commands: 'flashfs save' and 'flashfs commit' and eventually 'flashfs enable' and reboot the router.

nOBeLium
03-02-2005, 22:44
Thanks for both answers. I've been reading up a little bit and I've found some interesting articles on the Wiki system and also on the front page. To anser Oleg, I'm using the 1.8 tree of the custom firmware, but I'm helping a friend who has the 1.9 tree and wants adsl re-connecting at night, which requires crontab.

Thanks again for both answers, I'll see in what it results :)