PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : WL-500W with Maxtor OneTouch spin up problem

nisseman
23-09-2008, 22:02
I have a WL-500W running with Oleg's firmware, and I have connected a Maxtor OneTouch 4 - 1TB to one of the usb ports.
This setup causes a problem as the WL-500W does not allow the usb disc to spin up after a standby. :(

One "solution" would be to prevent the disk from entering standby, but I would really like to use this feature.

Is there any way to make the WL-500W wait before trying to access the disc, allowing it to spin up?
As far as I can see the problem with the OneTouch is well known on google, but I cannot manage to get any of the solutions to fit into the structure of the WL-500W. One of the solutions written in many places suggests to do the following:
echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/allow_restart
but I see no such file anywhere on the WL-500W.

Can anyone help me with a solution to the problem?
I am willing to test stuff and provide any relevant information you might need to help me.

Here is a dump of the log when the disc is accessed after a standby:
Sep 23 21:50:21 kernel: Device 08:01 not ready.
Sep 23 21:50:21 kernel: I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 755236880
Sep 23 21:50:21 kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block - inode=23601153, block=94404610

wpte
23-09-2008, 22:40
woa, mostly ppl have problems spinning the hdd down:confused:
I shall try to find something for you tomorrow:)

nisseman
24-09-2008, 08:44
woa, mostly ppl have problems spinning the hdd down:confused:
I shall try to find something for you tomorrow:)

Yeah, I know that is usually the problem :)
But I don't have that problem as i am running most of the system from a usb flash device and only has the Maxtor mounted at /opt, which means that there is no need to access it all the time ;)

wpte
25-09-2008, 18:02
Yeah, I know that is usually the problem :)
But I don't have that problem as i am running most of the system from a usb flash device and only has the Maxtor mounted at /opt, which means that there is no need to access it all the time ;)

I'm sorry, but i couldn find a solution for you :(
maybe you have better luck asking the same question in the wl-500gP forum, there are more experienced people reading and posting there:)

nisseman
25-09-2008, 18:17
I'm sorry, but i couldn find a solution for you :(
maybe you have better luck asking the same question in the wl-500gP forum, there are more experienced people reading and posting there:)

Anyway, thanks for trying :)
I will try to ask at the other forum.