PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : How to

Wouzer
06-03-2004, 19:32
I got a small home network using the WL-500g. How can I make sure my laptop always gets the same IP address using wireless DHPC?
I want to redirect ftp and http requests from the wan to my laptop, but in the router config you can only do this to a static IP addres. As my laptop also connects to other wireless networks, I cannot fix my ip address from my laptop.

(In the router I used before (sitecom, non-wireless), I could assign an IP adres to a mac addres, and the redirect requests to a machine name. That was way more flexible...)

Thanx, Wouter

justwords
06-03-2004, 21:06
just configure tcp/ip on your laptop unchecking dhcp / unchecking automatically getting an ip and rather give the laptop the ip you want. Make sure the ip is in the same adress space, like of the asus is on 192.168.1.1 give the laptop 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.3 or...

But be sure
a) to switch off dhcp for this ip range (start my.router/ go to IP config / DHCP) by typing in a higher ip adress in "IP Pool Starting Address": If you want your laptop to be 192.168.1.2, your pc 192.168.1.3 and your mac 192.168.1.4 and your wifi music system 192.168.1.5 just start dhcp at 192.168.1.6. Otherwise dhcp might use the ip you have given to your laptop and you cannot use the same ip twice in a network

b) to check ip adresses of other computers or network devices. Never use the same ip twice.
Give them static ip as well or use dhcp

Wouzer
06-03-2004, 21:55
I have tried that, and it works. But then I cannot connect to the wireless lan at work, as that requires a dynamic ip address. For some reason the IP address is linked to the adapter rahter than the connection ;-)...
I have noticed that so far I allways get the same IP address from my wl500g, but that is not garanteed.

justwords
06-03-2004, 21:59
If you have a mac on mac os x, just use different locations. Not sure about windows. There must be a way to switch between different settings and environment in windows?

justwords
06-03-2004, 22:02
another idea: give all your network devices static ips. the enable dhcp just for a range of exactly one ip. So your laptop should always get the same ip. But then you have to reconfigure your routher if you want to have guests using your networks.

Wouzer
07-03-2004, 10:37
I read somewhere that giving the lease for a very long period (max 10 years or so)... I might give that a try.
Any ideas if this will still work after a reboot of the router?

Antiloop
07-03-2004, 14:18
Originally posted by Wouzer
I read somewhere that giving the lease for a very long period (max 10 years or so)... I might give that a try.
Any ideas if this will still work after a reboot of the router?

in theory that should work, but in real world it doesn't work that good

i have done the same, the lease time is for 1 year
but after rebooting router, a lot of times i get on several workstations an IP conflict. because the router does not store which ip's are given in it's static memory

Sumix
08-03-2004, 12:43
I've bought two Asus WL500b APs for make a connection to the Internet provider via wireless and to make another connection
into my wireless LAN. I want to connect the two WL500b with TP cable and to use one of them in a client mode - to connect to the provider and the other one for a connection to my wireless LAN and for one client via TP.
And here's the problem: for having a telnet or ssh access and for using the WL500 as a wireless client, I wanted to upgrade
the firmware to the newest custom firmware as written on these pages. But when I try to upload the firmware to the AP
from the administration sites (http://my.router), it writes an error like the firmware file isn't OK. I tried
to upload the firmware via Firmware Restoration Utility, but I think it functions only when I wanted to upgrade the
firmware and there occured an error and the firmware isn't OK.
Can I try to upload an original ASUS firmware and in a half of the process, for example unplug the power or TP cable so
the firmware will be damaged and the Restoration Utility will function(with the custom firmware)? Or, when I try to do this, I will damage seriously the AP? Or the 500b can't upload the 500g firmware? I've read on this sites that it's possible to use the 500g firmware in a 500b AP and I haven't found here any special 500b firmware.
In my 500b AP is firmware version 1.6.5.3, bootloader v 2.2. So what's wrong?
THX very very very much for help.

Oleg
09-03-2004, 10:50
Originally posted by Wouzer
I got a small home network using the WL-500g. How can I make sure my laptop always gets the same IP address using wireless DHPC?

Wait for the next custom firmware. Static leases are coming... :)

jonas
09-03-2004, 12:38
Originally posted by Sumix
I tried
to upload the firmware via Firmware Restoration Utility, but I think it functions only when I wanted to upgrade the
firmware and there occured an error and the firmware isn't OK.

Better and more safe: power asus down, press reset button on back panel, power on and still hold button until LED start flashing .. now it's in firmware restoration mode and can be upgraded by fw restoration utility :cool:

Sumix
09-03-2004, 13:10
Originally posted by jonas
Better and more safe: power asus down, press reset button on back panel, power on and still hold button until LED start flashing .. now it's in firmware restoration mode and can be upgraded by fw restoration utility :cool:

Thx a lot, i will try it. Excuse me, please, I'm only a newbie in the wireless networking :)