PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : WL-HDD with Oleg's v.1.9.2.7 CR3

Ulrich
25-01-2005, 19:09
Hi,

I finally got my WL-HDD and tried to run it with Oleg's v.1.9.2.7 CR3 firmware. First of all, a big thank you to Oleg for his great work. Secondly, I noted a few glitches that took me some time to sort out. It might be interesting for others, too.

1. I've installed a 60 GB HDD and tried to format it using the custom firmware. However, mke2fs always crashed by running out of memory. I then tried Asus 1.2.3.0 firmware using the web interface. This suprisingly worked. Changing back to custom firmware, I noted that the Asus firmware had created a 60 MB swap space. By enabling CONFIG_MKSWAP and CONFIG_SWAPONOFF in busybox, the box can indeed create and use swap space. Now it's able to format the disc on its own.

2. Using root file system on internal HDD doesn't work. Reason is that the init script (linuxrc.sh) only probes for USB drives. This can easily be fixed by adding modules ide-mod, ide-probe-mod and ide-disk to the list of inserted modules.

3. The ftp server drove me crazy as I did not manage to login from my Linux box using ftp or lftp. It just kills the connection saying "422 Too busy to play with you.". After some debugging fun I figured out that stupid-ftpd does not support the AUTH command and simply closes connection when FTP client is probing for supported authentication methods. I've made a simply patch for that, if anyone is interested.

Br,
Ulrich

Oleg
25-01-2005, 19:55
1. I've installed a 60 GB HDD and tried to format it using the custom firmware. However, mke2fs always crashed by running out of memory. I then tried Asus 1.2.3.0 firmware using the web interface. This suprisingly worked.

Please try to find the reason for this, you help is appriciated.

Changing back to custom firmware, I noted that the Asus firmware had created a 60 MB swap space.

Funny. ;-)

By enabling CONFIG_MKSWAP and CONFIG_SWAPONOFF in busybox, the box can indeed create and use swap space. Now it's able to format the disc on its own.

I will add this to busybox.

2. Using root file system on internal HDD doesn't work. Reason is that the init script (linuxrc.sh) only probes for USB drives. This can easily be fixed by adding modules ide-mod, ide-probe-mod and ide-disk to the list of inserted modules.

3. The ftp server drove me crazy as I did not manage to login from my Linux box using ftp or lftp. It just kills the connection saying "422 Too busy to play with you.". After some debugging fun I figured out that stupid-ftpd does not support the AUTH command and simply closes connection when FTP client is probing for supported authentication methods. I've made a simply patch for that, if anyone is interested.

Please post patches for this.

hugo
25-01-2005, 20:14
I also had problem formating my 75 Gb partition. I needed to create a swap space to allow mke2fs to work. It means you need a first partition to make the swap file to format a second big one. Once you know it, that's fine with me.

Ulrich
25-01-2005, 20:33
Hi,

here are the patches for linuxrc.sh and stupidftp. I've now made following changes to stupidftp:

- returns an error code for unknown command instead of closing connection
- supports idle timeout of 0, i.e. disabling idle timeout
- fix for permissions of uploaded files. Parameter was completely missing and was giving o+r permission only.

Br,
Ulrich

Oleg
25-01-2005, 20:45
as for open permisions/mode - I've already fixed this, by adding O_TRUNC and using 0666 as mode (I think 0666 is reasonable for stupid-ftpd virtual users concept)...

Genesis
27-01-2005, 08:59
Works a 80GB 1Partition with Oleg Firmware for WLHDD ?

Who i find detailed information about the changes in Olegs and the Original Firmware ?

Thanks

pifi
27-01-2005, 19:26
Works a 80GB 1Partition with Oleg Firmware for WLHDD ?
Who i find detailed information about the changes in Olegs and the Original Firmware ?
:confused: Just the same questions as above for me

gerd
28-01-2005, 09:52
Hi !
I also tried to run olegs firmware with updating fw through web interface fails
http://my-wlhdd.ip/update.cgi
"Connection reset by peer "
after about 3 MB of transfer (i tried it from win and linux pc as client)
Is there a function in asus 1.2.3.0 firmware to prevent from using other images ?

Ciao Gerd

hugo
28-01-2005, 10:02
yes, you must use emergency firmware restoration procedure. Please search the forum for this. Stock firmware will not allow an update like this one.

Ulrich
28-01-2005, 19:46
as for open permisions/mode - I've already fixed this, by adding O_TRUNC and using 0666 as modeWill this be in the next update? It doesn't seem to be included in CR3b.

Works a 80GB 1Partition with Oleg Firmware for WLHDD ?Yes. If it has a file system already, no problem. If you need to format it, I assume you need to create and activate a small swap partition first; then you can create and format another partition with the remaining space. In order to do that, you need the modification described earlier or wait for Oleg's next update.

Who i find detailed information about the changes in Olegs and the Original Firmware ?I think the announcements in WL500g forum are quite descriptive.

Oleg
28-01-2005, 19:56
Will this be in the next update? It doesn't seem to be included in CR3b.

Yes, this is not released yet, just wait a bit.