PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : bandwidth limiting ftp server

Royan
05-03-2004, 13:34
Hi.

I've just gotten a WL-500G, and I was wondering about something...

Is there any way to limit the bandwidth used by the ftp server?
I'm kinda concerned that whenerver one of my friends access my server, I'll be almost without any bandwidth for myself...
If there isn't any way to do this in the original firmware, can it be done using the custom firmwares available on this site?

Thanks for any help on this issue. I'm sure that if any answer can be found, it will be from someone on this site... :)

brgds.
Royan

Antiloop
05-03-2004, 16:21
Originally posted by Royan
Hi.

I'm kinda concerned that whenerver one of my friends access my server, I'll be almost without any bandwidth for myself...
If there isn't any way to do this in the original firmware, can it be done using the custom firmwares available on this site?

Thanks for any help on this issue. I'm sure that if any answer can be found, it will be from someone on this site... :)

brgds.
Royan
i'm not aware that this is currently possible with the ftp daemon used at this moment.

you could have a look yourself, the daemon used is Stupid-FTPd.
you could try a google search :)
but it's a interresting question :)

eventually the daemon could be replaced by another that is capable of doing this.

Antiloop
05-03-2004, 16:21
Hi.

brgds.
Royan
i'm not aware that this is currently possible with the ftp daemon used at this moment.

you could have a look yourself, the daemon used is Stupid-FTPd.
you could try a google search :)
but it's a interresting question :)

eventually the daemon could be replaced by another that is capable of doing this.

Royan
05-03-2004, 16:39
I found the source of the stupid-ftpd at sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/stupid-ftpd/) and downloaded it...

I couldn't find anything relating to bandwidth throttling in the ini or config files, but that really doesn't mean much..

I'm not very proficient in the linux world... :)

Thanks anyway

Royan

Royan
08-03-2004, 10:08
The main reason that I'm asking for bandwidth throttling of the ftp "server" is that I'm contemplating getting IP telephony, and I really don't want the ftp server blocking the telephone whenever someone downloads from it...

So, I hate to be a nagging bore, but I would really appreciate if someone who knows what he/she is doing could find out if it is possible to change/replace the ftpserver with one that supports throttling...

Or maybe it's possible to have the router itself throttle the ftp process to a given maximum transfer rate?

Another idea might be to get the router to set priority preference to a given ip/mac address (the ip phone) maybe?

Please forgive my nagging. :)

Royan

Antiloop
08-03-2004, 12:25
The main reason that I'm asking for bandwidth throttling of the ftp "server" is that I'm contemplating getting IP telephony, and I really don't want the ftp server blocking the telephone whenever someone downloads from it...

So, I hate to be a nagging bore, but I would really appreciate if someone who knows what he/she is doing could find out if it is possible to change/replace the ftpserver with one that supports throttling...

Or maybe it's possible to have the router itself throttle the ftp process to a given maximum transfer rate?

Another idea might be to get the router to set priority preference to a given ip/mac address (the ip phone) maybe?

Please forgive my nagging. :)

Royan

sounds like QoS :)
but i don't know how QoS exactly works, so can't tell you anything else about it

Royan
08-03-2004, 12:44
yeah.. you're right...

Isn't the asus controlled by linux 2.4?
I think I've seen somewhere that the linux 2.4 kernel contains QoS... but it's probably not in the "asus kernel"... at least not available...

Royan

redbull21
09-06-2006, 13:49
Hi.

brgds.
Royan

Hi,

isn't still found any solution for this problem?

brgds.
redbull21