PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : DDNS Client Problem

wing
17-02-2004, 03:06
I 'm trying to use the DDNS features, but it seems it works properly after each times reset, I need to do it manually to update the IP address, instead of update automatically.

peteredhair
19-04-2004, 03:37
Sorry to get back to this subject, but i've trying to solve this thing about DDNS client not updating my ip.

I thought i had it solved but it's not.

However i made a new discovey.

Whenever the DHCP lease is refreshed and i get a new IP address the IP on DynDNS isn't updated, but,...., if on DynDNS config panel i set my domain offline, apply, and set it online again, the IP address is refreshed and the new IP is the current one.

I gess the problem is with the fact that i have a custom dns and in the ddnsclient script there's a "&system=dyndns" right at the beginning.

There's nothing logged, not even a info or warning.
Can't see any messages regarding the DDNS client, not a single one.

Do you know if the ddnsclient updates the IP as soon as the IP from the wan changes (dhcp get's a new IP) or is it just a "cron" job that runs from time to time, how much sleep time ?

I've been digging in the script and although i don't see much of scripting i'm willing to try to fix this, but i need your help.

Would you help me on this problem ?
I really need the custom DynDNS.

Thanks again for you help
Pete

peteredhair
20-04-2004, 14:22
Made some changes that i don't know if will work.

I'd like to be abble to test them, can someone help me do it ?

How can i upload the changed scripts and pages to the router ?

I attached the change files.

peteredhair
22-04-2004, 03:26
I've been doing more tests and here's what i came up with:

Tested this update url and it worked fine:

http://test:test@members.dyndns.org/nic/update?system=custom&hostname=test3.customtest.dyndns.org&myip=192.168.1.1&wildcard=OFF&offline=NO

On my router, tried this without success:

wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org

returns a newline wether the domain is members.dyndns.org or anything else.

Any hints ?

Thanks
Pete

ropmip
05-05-2004, 21:57
Is it possible to add other dynamic dns servers to the router?
If so I think that www.no-ip.com should be added as it is free...
Anyway, great work you're doing on the firmware!

erik_bies
11-05-2004, 21:42
Pete,

here the same basic problem:
wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org gives nothing instead of an IP

For me the resolution was to hardcode the IP in the ddnsclient script

So I replaced
SVRIP=`wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org`
#SVRIP="members.dyndns.org"

with
#SVRIP=`wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org`
SVRIP="63.208.196.94"

A second problem on my side is that my provider does not allow traffic on port 80 (only via proxy server), hence I had to recompile the ddns program to use alternative port 8245 instead of 80

FIB
07-07-2004, 12:09
Hi,

I am using ddns and got the following message from dyndns.org:

A hostname you have registered with Dynamic Network Services at DynDNS.org, X.X.X, with current IP address X.X.X.X, will expire in the next 5 days. This expiration is due to an automatic timeout; your host has not been updated for 30 days, and hosts are removed after not being updated for 35 days. This is our policy to prevent a stagnant DNS system. Users with static IP addresses can use the Static DNS system, which does not have this timeout.

You can "touch" your hostname and prevent it from being deleted simply by performing a manual, or forced, update. The system will not consider this single update abusive. If you wish to allow your hostname to expire, simply do nothing. You will receive a notification when this occurs.

Used Oleg wl500g-1.7.5.6-4, but now upgraded to wl500g-1.7.5.6-5 .

In this case my ISP has not changed my IP address during the last month, so no update was apparently sent to dyndns and I did not do a manual (”touch”) update! Anyone else with the same experience? Does anyone know a fix?

Regards,
FIB

Oleg
07-07-2004, 12:28
update it manually via web.

FIB
07-07-2004, 15:17
Hi,

Thanks for the tip.

Is there a way to automate the updating, this was actual what I mend by “a fix”?

Anyway
Thanks

Antiloop
07-07-2004, 17:05
Hi,

Thanks for the tip.

Is there a way to automate the updating, this was actual what I mend by “a fix”?

Anyway
Thanks

maybe you could write a script which calls dns update every X days

GJAman
07-07-2004, 20:04
Hi,

Thanks for the tip.

Anyway
Thanks

Maybe you can use the programs wich can be downloaded at http://www.dyndns.org/support/clients.html

FIB
07-07-2004, 20:28
I use the FTP-client (and soon a web-site) build-in the WL500g, so I perfere the DDNS client in the WL500g.

I will take a look on the /init/ddnsclient - when I get some spare time. I am open for suggestions ;)

JoacimC
22-11-2004, 12:05
I have searched the forum x times for a topic about Dynamic DNS update. I know there is a page for this in the web-interface, but this page is disabled when i am running my wl-500g's in AP mode (WDS bridging). Still i have tried to use the web-interface but that don't seem to work when it is "disabled". Then my problem is; i don't quite understand how the ddns binary works, and how i can config it manualy.

If i try to run ddns-start nothing happends, if i try to run update-ddns nothing happends, not even a line in the syslog(nothing ever gets printed in syslog? i just ran syslogd, have i started it properly?). All the other commands in /sbin that is symlinks to "rc" won't do nothing either. The busybox symlinks do work as they should though.

Is there any documentation on how this "rc" thingy works? Or is it possible to get a "newbie" tutorial on how to set up ddns?

It would be highly appreciated. :)

Oleg
22-11-2004, 16:57
There is no sense in runing ddns in the AP mode, because wl500g does not know the real IP address to be registered with the dynamic dns provider.

xlephant
28-11-2004, 10:18
hi guys,

just found out that, dyndns only knows the internal ip of the wl500g. because of its (the wl500g) connected after a sdsl router with static ip. so it only shows 192.168.1.16(DMZ) and not the public ip. the netopia sdsl router received every day a new public ip. is there a chance to get it working?!

hugo
28-11-2004, 12:00
I have been able to make it working using scripts.

You will have to relly on cron to make it run on a regular basis, as it is not detecting any ip change. You can try to run it also as an endless loop, but I don't want to take this risk.

Here is the script for reference:

[admin@wl-hdd hd2]$ cat ipchange
#!/bin/sh
wget -O - http://checkip.dyndns.org | sed -e 's/<\/body><\/html>.*//' |sed -e 's/<html><head><title>Current IP Check<\/title><\/head><body>Current IP Address: //'>/etc/ez-ipupdate/ip
/usr/sbin/ez-ipupdate --address `cat /etc/ez-ipupdate/ip` -c /etc/ez-ipupdate/ez-ipupdate.conf
[admin@wl-hdd hd2]$ cat ez-ipupdate.conf
service-type=dyndns
user=xxxxxxxxx:password
host=xxxxxxxxxxxxx.dyndns.org
cache-file=/etc/ez-ipupdate/cache
pid-file=/etc/ez-ipupdate/pid
max-interval=86400

You will have to create the ez-ipupdate folder by yourself.

just run this with cron. Be carefull, as you canot use it directly on the startup script, as the update might not work if ran too early.

Check http://wl500g.dyndns.org to make this change permanent.

You need full busybox to get cron. Use search on forum to download it, or get it from the wiki download folder.

xlephant
02-12-2004, 16:05
thx for your post hugo, your script was very helpful for me. thx a lot.
i will run it manualy because thats the best way it is working for me.

barsju
09-02-2005, 18:15
No need to write ip to a file.
This should also work:

#!/bin/sh
ez_path="/tmp/harddisk/ez-ipupdate"
ip=`wget -O - http://checkip.dyndns.org | sed -e 's/<\/body><\/html>.*//' |sed -e 's/<html><head><title>Current IP Check<\/title><\/head><body>Current IP Address: //'`
/usr/sbin/ez-ipupdate --address $ip -c $ez_path/ez-ipupdate.conf -b $ez_path/cache

And cron is also included in the newest firmware..

Sjur

tejido
18-05-2005, 20:48
Hello my question maybe a newbie one because im not fit in Linux.

I have installed Firmware 1.9.2.7-5a from Oleg on wl 500g. Configured a webserver with the guide of http://macsat.com/wlguide/web_php_ssh_guide.php

so far so good....ufff shutdown the noisi sme server.

I have allready registred www.chidi.ch at http://www.yi.org/ dyndns service and would like integrate ez-ipupdate on my WL500g.

Is there a way to do that? DNS update on dyndns.org is working fine but I have allready payed my account at yi.... :confused:

Thanks in advance

Daniel Tejido

barsju
19-05-2005, 07:44
Come on.. Search search search. Ez-ipupdate is already included! Search forum for examples.

S.

exXtreme
04-06-2005, 11:09
Hi all,

I have problem with updates to DynDNS.org. I have configured it as static due to problem with expiration after 35 days because my IP doesn't change, my WL-500g is always on-line.

WL-500g firmware 1.9.2.7-5 (downloaded from this site)
configuration: IP config > Miscellaneous > DDNS Setting
- DDNS client enabled
- server: WWW.DYNDNS.ORG(STATIC)
- username + password + hostname (FQDN) are correct
SysLog records (repeated every 6 hours):
Jun 4 09:55:29 ddns update: connected to members.dyndns.org (63.208.196.94) on port 80.
Jun 4 09:55:29 ddns update: invalid hostname: xxx.dyndns.org

DynDNS.org: static record for hostname exists

Is it miscofigured somehow or is it a bug within DDNS client?

Thank you for help in advance :)

exXtreme

Oleg
04-06-2005, 19:33
Static hosts could not be updated this way, they're supposed to be updated manually.

exXtreme
07-06-2005, 11:48
Oleg,

I don't think you are right. Static hosts (as defined by DynDNS.org) can be updated automatically by clients, they are used for hosts with almost permanent IP address. This info is from DynDNS.org Web site.

This info is also supported by functionality of several clients including one from this custom firmware.

I don't understand how it should work on WL-500g. I suppose it should work as dynamic hosts but as defined propagation time is much higher. So errors described before may lead to some bug or misconfiguration of the client itself.

So how can I understand your answer? Is it about definition of DynDNS.org service or is it about functionality of embedded client?

Thanks in advance

exXtreme

Oleg
07-06-2005, 20:45
Hm... Probably. wl500g.dyndns.org is managed manually anyway :)

gremlin190
10-06-2005, 03:19
Hey guys, thanks for the modified bios, I love being able to use 2 printers on it! I have one feature I would like to see added. Can we use www.no-ip.com's service for the DDNS Setting. It's free and they offer a port 80 redirect for free. The others that are listed do not. If I can add it manually could someone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance

barsju
10-06-2005, 06:58
Dyndns.org which is supported has the exact same free services. DDNS and webredirect (with adds). I guess only difference is the available domain names. I don't know with no-ip but with dyndns you can choose between around 50 domains (http://www.dyndns.org/services/dns/dyndns/domains.html). But if that is important to you, you should check out afraid.org where they have thousands, and they have shellscripts you can use to update ip..

b.

ikerstges
15-08-2005, 11:43
Hi,

This is my first post here.. What a great source of information on the WL500G, I have mine a couple of weeks now and very pleased too!

I have downloaded and installed Oleg's 1.9.2.7-6b successfully.

The DYNDNS-section seems to be same as ASUS's original. But I have 3 different dynamic DNS accounts over at DYNDNS and I would very much prefer to have them updated by the router instead of running a client in my LAN. Is that possible with the WL500G? (If it needs explanation on LINUX configuration: I'm a total newbee!)

Any help is very much appreciated!

Cheerss..

ikerstges
18-01-2006, 10:39
Only impossible is impossible with the WL500G!.... Can anybody help me with this?

macsat
18-01-2006, 11:59
First thing is probably to figure out what client software the firmware uses for holding DDNS up 2 date.

After that, figure out how and where the web interface stores the information..

Finally you can probably use the same method in updating other hosts using a CRON job.

In dyndns (as in dyndns.org) you can create groups of domains, and update the entire group using the standard web interface - I have used that in the past.

nonnus
26-02-2006, 19:19
hi

i have a wl500gx connected to CDMA - zapp z010

firmware 1.9.2.7-6b-CDMA-1.61

operation mode: home gateway

wireless mode: ap only

no snmp, dhcp, route, port trigger, virtual server, dmz, lan to wan filter

firewall on

i have been trying to get ddns to work but it keeps posting a strange ip

i say it is strange, because it is not remote ip, nor local, it is fixed 48.68.207.42

ex:

in wl status page it shows all correct ips and info

WAN Type:Static
IP addres 84.39.116.23
Subnet Mask:: 255.255.255.255
Gateway: 10.1.64.7
DNS Servers:10.5.1.10 10.5.1.11

but when it updates ddns the posted ip is always 48.68.207.42 !!!!

log:
Feb 26 18:58:07 pppd[152]: local IP address 84.39.116.23
Feb 26 18:58:07 pppd[152]: remote IP address 10.1.64.7
Feb 26 18:58:07 pppd[152]: primary DNS address 10.5.1.10
Feb 26 18:58:07 pppd[152]: secondary DNS address 10.5.1.11
Feb 26 18:58:08 dnsmasq[73]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Feb 26 18:58:08 dnsmasq[73]: reading /tmp/resolv.conf
Feb 26 18:58:08 dnsmasq[73]: using nameserver 10.5.1.11#53
Feb 26 18:58:08 dnsmasq[73]: using nameserver 10.5.1.10#53
Feb 26 18:58:08 Static: connect to ISP
Feb 26 18:58:09 ntp client: Synchronizing time with time.nist.gov ...
Feb 26 19:01:53 ddns update: connected to members.dyndns.org (63.208.196.95) on port 80.
Feb 26 19:01:53 ddns update: connected to members.dyndns.org (63.208.196.95) on port 80.
Feb 26 19:01:54 ddns update: request successful
Feb 26 19:01:54 ddns update: members.dyndns.org says that your IP address has not changed since the last update
Feb 26 19:01:56 ddns: ddns update ok

obviously it doesn t work when trying to connect from the internet but...

strange is that from local machine conected to router both the weird ip and ddns domain are recognized and it connects to the router !!!

also if i try to update from miscelanous ip config page it usually replies

ddns update: no update needed at this time

even if i have manually web set the ip to 1.1.1.1 and try to update it from router

if i reboot the router it will probably update the dns but with the weird ip

in dyndns web site it reports correct ip and if i manually update from there it works ok,

on reboot the log shows

Feb 26 18:57:32 ddns update: members.dyndns.org says that your IP address has not changed since the last update

although it has a brand new ip

sometimes it changes it to the weird ip....

i have tried a previously posted solution that was disable automatic dns in wan config page and input the isp dns ips but no changes with that config

please help !

thanks in advance

nonnus

raver
18-03-2006, 20:28
Hi evry1 :)

I´m having the same trouble with DDNS update. I think I always get the same IP address (48.68.207.42).
My router is also a wl500g deluxe and I´m using Zapp Z010 CDMA to connect to the internet also.

I purchased it yesterday, so I didn´t have much time time to solve this stuff :(

As soon as I get something I´ll post it
Because I´m newbie on this I´m not very hopeful :o :o :D

Good luck :cool: :D

redingo
23-03-2006, 10:48
My ddns updates are not working at all. Neither automatically nor manually via the webinterfaces. ALso the logs give no hint.

Now I'm suspicious that ddns is not installed with my firmware.
Can you tell me where it should be located?
Do you have other ideas what to try.
I have been looking around in other threads but couldn't find anything useful yet.

Thanks for your help!
Ingo

ikerstges
23-03-2006, 11:36
I confirm, I had the same problem on my wl500g with Oleg's 1.9.2.7-6b

I never got it solved in the webinterface. I use a cron job instead now. This is described here: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=4549

adolfotregosa
17-07-2006, 08:23
ddns gives me this error ! i'm using 7f-pre5 and cdma modem.

ddns update: could not resolve ip address for vlan1

how do i resolve this ??

thanks

cmbe
08-11-2006, 21:54
Hi,

I cannot get DDNS to work. I have a free account on DynDNS, which work perfectly with official DynDNS updater installed on my desktop.

But on my wl500gx I have done the (simple) steps of DDNS configuration through the firmware GUI (1.9.2.7-7f), but nothing happens and the system log reports nothing, even if I put rubbish as user/pwd. Do you have any clues on this one? Any help is very appreciated.

ffh
24-11-2006, 12:18
Hi community,

i'm running Oleg's firmware 1.9.2.7-7f on a WL-HDD in client mode. The device is connected to another access point using WPA encryption. The Asus is not configured as gateway, so there's no configuration of dynamic DNS services via the web frontend.

Since the accesspoint the WL-HDD is connected to does not support DDNS, I wonder if there is any possibility to run the DDNS client from commandline or put it into the post-boot script.

Thanks for any tips
Florian

max2950
30-11-2006, 11:41
Are you using your wl500 as an access point ?

cmbe
05-12-2006, 11:42
also, besides WAN/LAN router/switch/USB Printer Share.

Fazoletti
08-12-2006, 17:34
Have a look at this thread in the german forum.
I think the usage of the downloadable script is easy to understand.
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7193

...ups ... it's your script ..&#228;hem.

oleo
08-12-2006, 22:21
The following script is mine invention for Oleg firmware in AP mode.

#!/bin/sh
HOST=somehost.homelinux.com
USER=Username:passwddd
PERIOD=1800

while true ; do
ADDRESS=`wget -O - http://www.bnl.gov/itd/webapps/checkip.asp | \
sed '/^[0-9]\{1,3\}\./s/\([0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}\).*/\1/p;d'`
if [ ${ADDRESS} != ${LAST_ADDRESS} ]; then
/usr/sbin/ez-ipupdate --service-type dyndns --address ${ADDRESS} \
--host ${HOST} --user ${USER} --once --quiet
LAST_ADDRESS=${ADDRESS}
fi
sleep ${PERIOD}
done

novax
11-07-2008, 08:33
I'm trying to set up the built-in DDNS Client to use with Dyndns.org account. My confirugarion is: Public, dynamic IP; ADSL Modem with RJ45 connected to WAN port (Modem uses NAT and it can't be switched off, modem's IP: 192.168.0.1; ASUS: 192.168.0.2 & 10.0.0.1(in Asus' LAN)). Every time Asus tries to update the dns name it sets the IP from the private pool provided by the modem (192.168...), so when I try to connect my router from outside network, the dns name leads to 192.168... and the connection couldn't be done. If I use software dyndns client at one of computers in the Asus' LAN it sets correct IP. How to fix it and force DDNS Client to set the correct, public IP?

wpte
11-07-2008, 12:48
I'm trying to set up the built-in DDNS Client to use with Dyndns.org account. My confirugarion is: Public, dynamic IP; ADSL Modem with RJ45 connected to WAN port (Modem uses NAT and it can't be switched off, modem's IP: 192.168.0.1; ASUS: 192.168.0.2 & 10.0.0.1(in Asus' LAN)). Every time Asus tries to update the dns name it sets the IP from the private pool provided by the modem (192.168...), so when I try to connect my router from outside network, the dns name leads to 192.168... and the connection couldn't be done. If I use software dyndns client at one of computers in the Asus' LAN it sets correct IP. How to fix it and force DDNS Client to set the correct, public IP?

your modem should be having the details of the dyndns.
I have an orange livebox wich runs perfectly with it.
if you have a static ip, you can change the settings manualy on the dyndns website to your outside ip adress:)