PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : fake asus gx?

vampire
12-01-2005, 02:34
sorry, posted in wrong forum before, this time i hope its right...

Is it just me or everyone else
when using netstumbler, it says my vender for the ap is "(fake)". do i have a fake product?

i'm also finding that using my cnet usb "b" card, i can not connect to the ap without setting the ap to "b only". is this my card or the router? any work arounds?

Antiloop
12-01-2005, 09:09
sorry, posted in wrong forum before, this time i hope its right...

Is it just me or everyone else
when using netstumbler, it says my vender for the ap is "(fake)". do i have a fake product?

i'm also finding that using my cnet usb "b" card, i can not connect to the ap without setting the ap to "b only". is this my card or the router? any work arounds?

which product do you have then ?

gwl
12-01-2005, 11:08
:)
that's normal.
I get the same "fake" listing in netstumbler... :)
I can confirm this happens to both European and American models.
(both recent WL500G models)

which is ok... to fool any wardrivers that may be snooping arround...

vampire
12-01-2005, 13:16
this was using the wl-500gx. just picked up one in hk for $850 hkd so thought it was interesting that netstumbler shows vender as fake, maybe the software uses a basic db to identify ap names.

the connection problems happen when the wireless protocal is set on auto and using cnet cnusb611 (the older version). i find if i set the router into "b" mode only then it connects and works the way it should. (using xp with sp2 and zero config for wireless).

My understanding is that auto supports b and g clients at the same time. i'll wait till i get back to new zealand with my toy and test with other cards maybe. until then, if anyone else has seen this problem or know what i'm doing wrong, please let me know...

can someone confirm auto will work with b and g clients at the same time?

thanks

Oleg
12-01-2005, 14:39
Yes, b/g working at the same time for most of the cards.
Very old 802.11b cards (firmwares) require special mode, called 802.11g LRS, which is available in the custom firmwares.

vampire
13-01-2005, 14:30
thanks for the help, will give it a try tonight, much appreciated (saves all the g clients in the neighbourhood from getting real crap connections :-> )

vampire
13-01-2005, 16:01
hi there, thanks for ur help

still no luck though, seems to be closer to getting there though

originally when set to auto, the wlan monitor supplied by cnet keeps trying to connect and then rescans, retries and so forth (controlled by windows zero config), now using lsr, the monitor reports "Association Denied. Check Supported Rates.".

Any thoughts/ suggestions?

thanks 4 help

Oleg
13-01-2005, 16:20
Well, try to update cnet firmware...
Which chip is used by this card?

Oleg
13-01-2005, 16:23
looks like it's atmel based - try looking on to this page:
http://at76c503a.berlios.de/devices.html

WlanMan
13-01-2005, 17:25
Hi

I have a 76C505 in use, works flawless.
Problem is that there are no generic drivers for that chip even thou all hardware versions are 99% identical and manufacturer driver updates are not very common. Atleast on my model there were never ever one.

Greets

vampire
15-01-2005, 16:59
ok, managed to get everything working, havent connected a g card to it yet so i do not know how the performance of a g client is effected.... anyway...

first, set it to that "lrs" mode based on the recent custom firmware... then u need to change the basic rate (in advance) to 1, 2mb (if i remember right).

then everything shoulkd work.

i also updated the drivers of my card based on the information found at the bottom of "http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/Client_5fAdapters_5f802_5f11b". to find vendoe id/prod id, just plug in ur usb device into the router and then refresh the system log page on the web interface. based on that site, if u want updated drivers for any card based on that chipset, just download the etgear ones and change prod/vender id as described on all the "NETM101R.INF" files (read that website for full details)

Also, last step may or maynot be required but its a safe move as older drivers do not function correctly with lots of the "g" access points as descovered by others.

thanks for everyones help, much appreciated