PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Php, printserver, sharing

Sna
07-01-2005, 10:38
Hi,
I've bought a WL-HDD for use with my Zaurus
I've just discovered your site and customs firmwares for the WL-HDD. it is nice :)
but i have some questions:
what is the real risk of trying a custom firmware? can the standard firmware be replaced if problem?

ok, that was the already asked question, then others
i've seen that the WL-500g can share an USB printer, is this possible with the WL-HDD with a custom firmware?
i wished to share an usb key instead of copying it on the disk, but i've seen the lastest official firmware can do this, can anyone confirm?
the main problem then, i wished to use the web server for my use and for the configuration, is it possible? and if yes, is it possible to install a php module (i don't need mysql)? and how the webserver space is calculated?

thanks in advance :)

Sna

Antiloop
07-01-2005, 12:50
WL-HDD is ABLE to support printer, but does not do this with official firmware, neither with firmware from Jockey

Custom Firmwares from Oleg for the WL-HDD do support printer, list of supported printer/bugs etc is the same as WL500g has

for the rest search the WL500g forum.

hugo
07-01-2005, 13:06
I'm doing all what you are asking on my Wl HDD, including php3 (not 4 for the moment). So yes it is possible.

As Antiloop said, use search function, as nobody still had time to write a tutorial.

Sna
08-01-2005, 00:20
Hi again
thanks for reply :)
i've read a lot, and so i've more precise questions now :)

i've seen Oleg firmware seemns to be most ok for my use, but as i have read i can't use my HD with this firmware, this is change?
i dont found the download page of this firmware, maybe anyone has a little bookmark :)
hugo : is it relatively easy to hack the wl-hdd? what firmware do you use? dou you modified it?

hugo
08-01-2005, 14:59
Use this one (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/1.9.2.7-2/WLHDD-1.9.2.7-2.trx)

This give you a base to add new programs. You will get all functions from WL HDD, except leds that you won't be able to program (they are still working, but you cannot access them programaticaly like WL hdd.

You also have to set up thinks to get the same behavious as your actual firmware. Be warned that you get all functions, but most of them need to be setup by a telnet or SSH interface, not web. If it doesn't scare you, then you have for me one of the best compromise for a small linux server, as you have a faster access for HDD than with a WL 500g + USB HD, and the smaller size allow you to grab it anywere, or use it at home as your main internet router.

Sna
08-01-2005, 23:14
nice, i'll try that just after a little backup of my harddrive, in the same time, i'll reformat in ext3 :)
not many problems for the telnet or ssh
can i try the 1.9.2.7-3 on your site?

thanks a lot for help :)

Antiloop
09-01-2005, 00:25
nice, i'll try that just after a little backup of my harddrive, in the same time, i'll reformat in ext3 :)
not many problems for the telnet or ssh
can i try the 1.9.2.7-3 on your site?

thanks a lot for help :)

it's Oleg's site, but yes 1.9.2.7-3 has been released just this evening, be sure to take the WL-HDD version otherwise it will not support any IDE functions

Sna
11-01-2005, 23:03
nice, i've flashed the oleg firmware, there are plus and minus :)
no more client mode
i can't launch samba
but
telnet is fantastic :)
printserver, a dream
webcam, i can't imagine it was possible lol

so if someone can help me for samba
i've mounted my hard disk in telnet, but smbd doesn't seems to run, smb.conf doesn't exist, have i to generate all myself?

in all cases thanks a lot for help :)

Sna
13-01-2005, 13:34
shame on me, i've found the client mode
and for samba, simply plug an usb storage in usb port and thats it, samba is working :)

its so nice, i can even configure iptables :)

last things then
how can i configure the device to exec a script at startup?
how can i make my changes persistents, to avoid reconfigure all at reboot?
how can i shutdown it? in standard firmware, i have to shutdown the device before unplug it, probably for the disk, but with oleg firmware, i didn't found this option, in telnet no halt, then how can i unplug it properly?
for the moment i just umount the drive and unplug the device, but i don't know if i may do this :)

thanks a lot for help
and special thanks to oleg :)

Styno
13-01-2005, 13:56
Search this forum for 'flashfs' you can do lots of nice stuff with it.

Oleg
13-01-2005, 15:40

Visit http://oleg.wl500g.info

how can i shutdown it? in standard firmware, i have to shutdown the device before unplug it, probably for the disk, but with oleg firmware, i didn't found this option, in telnet no halt, then how can i unplug it properly?
for the moment i just umount the drive and unplug the device, but i don't know if i may do this :)

This should work in the same way as with stock firmware, ftp page contain "eject" button.
Yes, there is no halt, you could use reboot and remove the device after several seconds.
And yes, umount is enough (if it's really get unmounted).

Oleg
13-01-2005, 15:43
Just noticed - you're wl-hdd owner. You will need to check if eject works.
Probably I need to include halt - but I will need to check if it works with broadcom hw.

Sna
13-01-2005, 22:12
ok eject works for unmounting
it eject even the 2 disks, fun for halt

i've read your page, nice, i'll try to make a persistent configuration :)

the only thing i've not found, if it is possible to launch samba without an external drive connected, automatically, he delete the smb.conf :(
maybe if i copy another smb.conf and launch it manually, i'll have a try :)

Sna
14-01-2005, 06:39
nice, it works, now i have to check the possibility to make smb.conf persistant and that's it :)

a real innovation this firmware, thanks a lot :)
and thanks for help :)

Sna
15-01-2005, 01:19
is it possible to disable/change the automount function for the usb drive?
i don't find any information about that

sorry, i've found :)