PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Radio - weak signal, low coverage

uffez
25-05-2008, 16:48
Hi there, I have a WL500-GP using Olegs .10 FW. I experience low coverage i.e. the radio signal is weak thereby providing low wifi throughput. I am using it as an access point behind a WRT54GL. The Linksys coverage and throughput using Tomato is a lot better. Is this due to ASUS hardware, or can it be improved using other firmware? Or are there parameters to use to adjust the radio power. I have increased "Radio Power" to "48" - but I canīt say I note any improvements.
Any hints are appreciated.

wpte
25-05-2008, 20:01
true, I did some hours of searching trough these forums and apparently nobody so far could unlock the improved wifi.
I''ve tried some things out that I found but they didn't do anything.
if the settings are correct, the original firmware is transmitting 83mW under the legal maximum, at least... the dutch maximum is 100mW.
100mW should be enough to cover more than 100m in an open field.

Take a look at the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBM
the number you fill in, in the web interface is the number of mW.
19 is standart in oleg's. that is far from the 100mW that should be enabled.
the weird thing is that this router I have already transmits over 70m in an open field, so I don''t really have any complains.
Some people think they can put the power to 1250mW, wich is more than a normal cell phone and could reach more than 1KM of distance, wich is just crazy:p

Do you have any reinforced concreid in your house? do you use a channel that already is in use by some other wireless networks?
the right place for a router is in the middle of the house, placed a bit away from the walls, maybe that helps:)

I do not recommend tomato to be honest, that firmware broke my firewall and NAT:(

uffez
25-05-2008, 20:14
Well, I have the same conditions as for the Linksys router - which is performing a lot better wrt radio performance. So, is it poor hardware in the Asus, or can it be improved either by adjusting parameters or by using another firmware?

newbiefan
25-05-2008, 22:07
Well, I have the same conditions as for the Linksys router - which is performing a lot better wrt radio performance. So, is it poor hardware in the Asus, or can it be improved either by adjusting parameters or by using another firmware?

Maybe you can improve your wireless.....
try 'wl noise'
and read this
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13321
But anyway, an Asus has not the best wireless minipci card installed, hence an exchange can help.
For me it's enough after the small hardware-mod.
have fun

uffez
26-05-2008, 19:37
Is there any compilation of which "hidden" system commands there are, and what they show? If adjusting the "Radio Power" - what would be a suitable value?

newbiefan
26-05-2008, 20:23
Is there any compilation of which "hidden" system commands there are, and what they show? If adjusting the "Radio Power" - what would be a suitable value?

Well, a suitable value is the default one. Much better to increase the coverage is a good antenna.
However, increasing tx power doesn't mean to get a better coverage, it can be, but noise is increased too - hence the best way is the lowest possible tx power and the best antenna you can get.
Regarding power (never exceed approx 85 mW):
Just use the search function "increase wireless power" and you'll find a bunch of useful hints.