PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : How to access LAN PC from the wireless side?

andru123
25-02-2004, 22:39
Hi,

How to access a shared folder from the notebook connected through the wireless (IP address 192.168.2.2) to a LAN PC (IP 192.168.1.2)?

And backwards would be nice too :o

I went to the network neighborhood, expecting to see the computer name there, but it was not.

I can ping LAN PC from a notebook and ping notebook from a LAN PC. Of course I can set up the FTP server, but I really like to use shared folders of windows...

Any hints?

Antiloop
26-02-2004, 00:32
Originally posted by andru123
Hi,

How to access a shared folder from the notebook connected through the wireless (IP address 192.168.2.2) to a LAN PC (IP 192.168.1.2)?

And backwards would be nice too :o

I went to the network neighborhood, expecting to see the computer name there, but it was not.

I can ping LAN PC from a notebook and ping notebook from a LAN PC. Of course I can set up the FTP server, but I really like to use shared folders of windows...

Any hints?

you should change your subnet to something like 255.255.0.0 for both LAN and WLAN then it thinks it's 1 network, and you should be able to access it..

or just disable the wireless dhcp part and use the normal dhcp for wlan

Technik
26-02-2004, 09:17
Originally posted by Antiloop
you should change your subnet to something like 255.255.0.0 for both LAN and WLAN then it thinks it's 1 network, and you should be able to access it..

or just disable the wireless dhcp part and use the normal dhcp for wlan
I think if he can PING the other side, the subnet should be already set properly. The question is what is the operating system installed and if the sharing is configured OK (you can't see Win95 workstation in Network Neigborhood until you share at least one folder). Another reason could be perhaps a port filtering settings.

frank
26-02-2004, 14:07
I think the same if he can ping the other pc itīs a windows problem and not an asus problem. Possible problems
Workgroup on both pcīs the same?
win xp firewall should be turnd off
there should be a shared drive on the pc/notebook.
try search for computers in the network neighberhood.

what kind of windows versions are you using?

Antiloop
26-02-2004, 14:39
Originally posted by frank
I think the same if he can ping the other pc itīs a windows problem and not an asus problem. Possible problems
Workgroup on both pcīs the same?
win xp firewall should be turnd off
there should be a shared drive on the pc/notebook.
try search for computers in the network neighberhood.

what kind of windows versions are you using?

yes you two are right..

to test if it works he just needs to enter
assuming 192.168.0.100 is a pc:

\\192.168.0.100

then he should be able to see the other pc

if this works, the there's a big chance that the PC will show up in networkneighbourhood

andru123
27-02-2004, 08:45
Hmm.
On LAN PC, I use win98 or win2000 (dual boot). On LAN PC I also have a specific domain name defined (I need it for some dial-in). All other IP settings come from DHCP.
There are shared folders.

On notebook: WinXP Home, no firewall, I think there is a workgroup name (it can not be empty?)
No shared folders. I will try making them.

I will try searching for computers.

Where do I enter "\\192.168.0.100"?

Thanks all for the replys :p

Antiloop
27-02-2004, 08:59
Originally posted by andru123
Hmm.
On LAN PC, I use win98 or win2000 (dual boot). On LAN PC I also have a specific domain name defined (I need it for some dial-in). All other IP settings come from DHCP.
There are shared folders.

On notebook: WinXP Home, no firewall, I think there is a workgroup name (it can not be empty?)
No shared folders. I will try making them.

I will try searching for computers.

Where do I enter "\\192.168.0.100"?

Thanks all for the replys :p

you can enter it in this windows.. or in explorer(verkenner)
and probably the workgroup name is 'werkgroep' for your xp pc

andru123
29-02-2004, 12:05
Hi, thanks all :)

I changed workgroup name on the notebook to the same as on LAN PC, but it did not help.

I searched for a PC, it did not help.

I entered \\192.168.1.2\ in explorer and then it worked.

It asked me for a password to access the shared folder(?). I could not change the user name(It is fixed to Guest), but when i entered the password (I remembered it, luckily) it accepted the password, so I accessed the shared folders as a guest

strange but works :confused: ... for now.