PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : [HowTo] Setup MediaTomb (mediaserver) on WL-500gP and WL-500W

rathalian
14-04-2008, 08:25
I have a WL-500W and a PS3 and the challenge was setting up a media server (as the Asus firmware one did not work with the PS3) without paying for TwonkyVision. Twonky have limited their support for NAT devices to hardware vendors - I found an ASUS package after digging the developers area however they no longer release on the general downloads area and stated they no longer sell to NAT users (only vendors).

I installed uShare via ipkg and got it to run on the WL-500W without any issues (latest ipkg release) but it does not support the PS3 at the moment (backed up in some other PS3 forums). So uShare uninstalled.

I installed fuppes via ipkg and again got it to run without too many issues but only with the default config file. For some reason (and I am quite experienced in xml structure) when I added the PS3 required xml tags and values to the config file I got parser errors when restarting fuppes. Tried basic device settings and more advanced ones and also ones from the forums that folks confirmed worked, no go still parsing errors whenever I added the PS3 specific entries so I can only assume that the opto release is not the current one? I'm happy to be proven wrong here as ultimately I would like to use fuppes - but is has to work with the PS3 config settings.

Now - onto the tutorial for MediaTomb which (after some massaging) did work! Note all was done on Olegs firmware (1.x-10) via telnet.

First off install it from ipkg (ipkg install mediatomb). This installs all pre requisites. Go here for more info re installatin: http://mediatomb.cc/pages/download#optware but DO NOT set MT_ENABLE to true as autostart does not work on the wl-500X series.

Second recreate the database it sets up which is broken on the wl-500x installs (known issue). Use this process (pulled form one of our forum threads):
- cd /opt/share/mediatomb
- cat sqlite3.sql | sqlite3 mediatomb.db
- mv mediatomb.db /usr/local/root/.mediatomb

Third - setup the config.xml file using vi (vi /opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml). I specified port, interface, restore and database backup settings. Port was specified due to a conflict with another service, interface to ensure mediatomb started on the 192.168.1.1 ip (so the PS3 could see it), restore ensures that when the sqlite database corrupts (and it will re a known bug on the wl-500x series) that when mediatomb starts up it restores the backup and finally the backup setting ensures the backup database file is periodically updated. Note when you start mediatomb it is always updates the backup file to the latest current database version. All these settings can be found here (along with where to place them in the xml file) - http://mediatomb.cc/pages/documentation#id2536421 go to section 6. Configuration File

When you have saved your config.xml file start mediatomb (type mediatomb to run) and test on your media client, in my case the PS3. This should then create a backup file of the sqlite database. Press Ctrl+C to shutdown mediatomb and then run the following to ensure the configuration is remembered after rebooting the router:
flashfs save && flashfs commit && flashfs enable && reboot

I've attached my config.xml file to help you get going (I've uncommented the settings that need to be enabled for the PS3 to work).

Finally I want mediatomb to start when router starts. You can run mediatomb in daemon mode so I'm going to add the following command to my startup routine: mediatomb -d (I'll update this post when I've worked out the best way to do this).

I hope this helps - mediatomb works great on the PS3!

wpte
14-04-2008, 15:51
Hi, I have a conceptronic media player workin with ushare.
well... it plays movies, after some updates from ushare it is quite limited to playing :p
anyway, you have the option for PS3 in ushare, it supports DLNA.
I'll try this out for my conceptronic, maybe I can fast forward the movies now;)

rathalian
15-04-2008, 09:57
I can see the ushare media server on my PS3 (and have DLNA enabled in the config file) however all of the avi's show up as unsupported data types, whereas these work in mediatomb, nero and WM11.

Can you confirm divx/xvid work in ushare and could you share your configuration.

rathalian
15-04-2008, 17:58
Something for PS3 users - I (and others) have had many issues (across multiple uPnP servers) with firmware 2.20 on the PS3, I too experienced this in the form of slow startups to play/bad to non existent fast forward/reverse functionality and consistent dropouts or failures.

Firmware 2.30 for the PS3 came out tonight and my mediatomb functionality has gone back to 100% - fast forward/reverse through to 120x works fine, playing is instant and connections are rock solid.

I tried uShare again in -d mode (DLNA) to ensure the right profile loaded but still getting errors:

Looking for files in content directory : /mnt/torrent/target
[mp3 @ 0x2ac344c8]Could not find codec parameters (Audio: mp2, 48 kb/s)

wpte
15-04-2008, 19:40
I can see the ushare media server on my PS3 (and have DLNA enabled in the config file) however all of the avi's show up as unsupported data types, whereas these work in mediatomb, nero and WM11.

Can you confirm divx/xvid work in ushare and could you share your configuration.

yeh, they just work perfectly, however, I have to reload the movie to get the subs:confused: I also put the unsupported file types on so the client has to check if it can play the video.
gonna give media tomb a try tonight.

about loading time... on the server I have on a dvd with the conceptronic, it's just a few seconds, but with wl-500w it can take up till half a min. quite long, but I guess that's the max speed of the asus:o

rathalian
16-04-2008, 04:52
Would appreciate you posting your ushare config, as I said I am getting unsupported data types (where they work fine on other upnp servers)

Re playback - after going to 2.30 firmware on the PS3 wireless playback is not all but instant.

wpte
17-04-2008, 11:04
here you go:D

still getting some errors on the media tomb starting up:( it just stops working... need to look it all over a bit;)

rathalian
17-04-2008, 11:21
What errors are you getting?

wpte
17-04-2008, 21:27
well... I get this atm:

[root@wpte root]$ /opt/etc/init.d/S90mediatomb start
Starting mediatomb: ok

but no mediatomb:(
at least... I cant see anything on nero home...

rathalian
18-04-2008, 04:18
I'm assuming you created that mediatomb script (as the ipkg installer does not).

I can't get mediatomb to run at startup either - process fires up in defunct state regardless of start method (-d and & tried)....

BTW - no joy ushare - same config as yours still get data types unsupported, using the ipkg optware package.

wpte
18-04-2008, 15:43
how did you fire it up then?
do you get a "start ok" when you use the init.d script?
otherwise you just put the line in the bottom of the post-boot file, that will probably work:)

Jin
23-04-2008, 09:31
Hi everyone,

from what I know there were some C++ library related problems: the version on the WL500g does not support exceptions. MediaTomb uses the exception mechanism a lot, so if the C++ did not support them MT would crash.

I heard that Oleg firmware was updated with exception support, but I also had reports that the problem still exists on other firmwares.

As a solution I compiled a static version of the server that can be used as an addon with any firmware. So far it has been tested by two WL500g users who reported success, so I will probably be releasing the package soon.

The package is very easy to install, it does not have any external dependencies.

If someone else would also like to test it - please drop me a mail to jin at mediatomb dot cc or post in this thread:
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2009404&forum_id=440750

Kind regards,
Jin

wpte
27-04-2008, 13:21
so... I tried your package jin, I tried to build it but I get an error:

checking for a BSD-compatible install... configure_aux/install-sh -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... configure_aux/install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking build system type... Warning: creating insecure temp directory
configure_aux/config.guess: unable to guess system type

This script, last modified 2007-03-06, has failed to recognize
the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
download the most up to date version of the config scripts from

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/config/config/config.guess
and
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/config/config/config.sub

If the version you run (configure_aux/config.guess) is already up to date, please
send the following data and any information you think might be
pertinent to <config-patches@gnu.org> in order to provide the needed
information to handle your system.

config.guess timestamp = 2007-03-06

uname -m = mips
uname -r = 2.4.20
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #18 Sun Mar 30 13:13:29 MSD 2008

/usr/bin/uname -p =
/bin/uname -X =

hostinfo =
/bin/universe =
/usr/bin/arch -k =
/bin/arch =
/usr/bin/oslevel =
/usr/convex/getsysinfo =

UNAME_MACHINE = mips
UNAME_RELEASE = 2.4.20
UNAME_SYSTEM = Linux
UNAME_VERSION = #18 Sun Mar 30 13:13:29 MSD 2008
configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one

so what do I need to do?
I think the router also doesn't know "make"

I also have been told by conceptronic that their NAS is completely compatible with the media player I own.
The good news is, their firmwares are open-source! and, the nas also uses a mips processor.
The firmware should contain an intel A/V server, but till now... I did not find it in the sources :(
would be great to have it builded, can someone give me a hand with this?
it's downloadable here:
http://www.conceptronic.net/site/desktopdefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=200&Cat=60&grp=6030&ar=452&Prod_ID=2049&Prod=CH3SNAS&subid=555

dadoupy
17-07-2008, 14:56
I did the above thing, but no mediatomb running? :confused: :(
I run Oleg 1.9.2.7-10 on WL-500gP

free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 30164 29560 604 0 1428
Swap: 250856 2068 248788
Total: 281020 31628 249392

fdisk -l

Disk /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 38166 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 1 245 250864 82 Linux swap
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 246 978 750592 83 Linux
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3 979 38166 38080512 83 Linux

I downloaded and copied the config.xml from here.
[admin@WL500GP mediatomb]$ ls
config.xml

Here is the db
[admin@WL500GP root]$ ls .*
.mediatomb .test

[admin@WL500GP /opt]$ ipkg install mediatomb
Installing mediatomb (0.10.0-1) to root...
Configuring file
Configuring libexif
Configuring libiconv
Configuring libuclibc++
Configuring mediatomb
Configuring ncurses
Configuring ossp-js
Configuring readline
Configuring sqlite
Configuring zlib
Successfully terminated.

[admin@WL500GP root]$ mediatomb

MediaTomb UPnP Server version 0.10.0 - http://mediatomb.cc/

================================================== =============================
Copyright 2005-2007 Gena Batsyan, Sergey Bostandzhyan, Leonhard Wimmer.
MediaTomb is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License version 2

Aborted
[admin@WL500GP root]$

I don't know what is going on/wrong!

wpte
17-07-2008, 17:04
yeh... I tried compiling it, but neither worked:(
I'm still trying to get it runnin, but I'm about to give up the hope...
this is neither a completed how to, the writer expects you to know stuff wich is written down in a different document:confused:

jslefr
21-07-2008, 09:09
I have successfuly installed the mediatomb and have done every step described here. Unfortunately when I try to start the mediatomb, I get the "StorageException". The mediatomb is running (I can see the process using ps -A), but my PS3 does not see it. Does anybody have the same problem?
Thanx.

demck85
22-03-2009, 16:14
I have the static running on mine, works great, except that i need a script where to place a link to start it up after reboot. Any one have any ideas?:confused:

rathalian
22-03-2009, 17:02
in your post-boot file put the following;

cd /opt/share/mediatomb <- or whatever your mediatomb directory is
./mediatomb.sh (make sure you update the mediatomb.sh file to include the -d option)

ignatz
23-03-2009, 05:57
rathalian - Thanks very much for posting this information, it was a big help in the right direction. I tried to follow the directions today and wound up getting the 'zmm::Exception' error message. I did a little digging and found the problem was the config.xml that was using. I got past the problem by following these steps.

ipkg install mediatomb
mkdir /usr/local/root/.mediatomb
cd /opt/share/mediatomb
cat sqlite3.sql | sqlite3 mediatomb.db
mv mediatomb.db /usr/local/root/.mediatomb/
mediatomb

Since there was no config.xml in place, mediatomb created a pretty good default. Here's the diff from my working(-) and failing(+) config.xml:
- <udn>uuid:1d40049c-e8ee-43bc-81ed-18859eb25b1e</udn>
- <home>/usr/local/root/.mediatomb</home>
+ <udn>uuid:207f02e4-943d-4982-946a-22db80475be8</udn>
+ <home>/opt/etc/mediatomb</home>

rathalian
23-03-2009, 06:07
Problem is that with the ipkg package you have two problems:

- you WILL get that database error, requiring you manually recreate it via cat, and it's likely it will happen again
- you WONT be able to autostart mediatomb when the router reboots (the -d command fails)

The static package includes it's own config.xml file etc...the ipkg package should be pulled from the optware list as it is problematic for our router.

This is my mediatomb.sh file:
#!/bin/sh

# if you want to launch this script from a different directory (for example
# from an another init script or similar, set the LAUNCHDIR variable below
# to the absolute path of the mediatomb.sh script

LAUNCHDIR=`pwd`
export MEDIATOMB_DATADIR="$LAUNCHDIR/usr/share/mediatomb"
export MEDIATOMB_MAGIC_FILE="usr/share/file/magic"
$LAUNCHDIR/usr/bin/mediatomb -m $LAUNCHDIR -f config -d

This is my post-mount file
#! /bin/sh

/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start
cd /opt/share/mediatomb
./mediatomb.sh

Link to static build : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mediatomb/mediatomb-static-0.11.0-r2-linux-uclibc-mips32el.tar.gz

Hope this helps

ignatz
25-03-2009, 18:02
I did a little testing and found that the startup script included with the ipkg distribution works fine if you:

1. Edit the file /opt/etc/mediatomb.conf to specify correct user, group and port.
2. The ".mediatomb" directory exists in the user's home directory.
3. The directory /opt/etc/mediatomb exists.
4. The database is manually created in the /opt/etc/mediatomb directory

For me, the key was creating the empty .mediatomb directory in my home directory

ipkg install mediatomb
mkdir -p ~/.mediatomb
mkdir -p /opt/etc/mediatomb
cd /opt/share/mediatomb
cat sqlite3.sql | sqlite3 mediatomb.db
mv mediatomb.db /opt/etc/mediatomb/
vi /opt/etc/mediatomb.conf (I set user, group and port)
vi /opt/etc/default/mediatomb and set enabled = true
/opt/etc/init.d/S90mediatomb start
tail /opt/var/log/mediatomb

I was able to stream an avi to my PS3 last night so this setup seems to work, at least for me.

demck85
26-03-2009, 12:56
thanks for the tips, i'll give it a try

i'll let you know if it works or not

Tamadite
26-03-2009, 20:55
I just have installed MediaTomb (ipkg install mediatomb), followed ignatz indications on post #21 and I got MediaTomb to work without any problem.

dadoupy
11-05-2009, 10:32
vi /opt/etc/mediatomb.conf (I set user, group and port)

Changed user to admin. Now it works! Finally

fox1234
24-09-2009, 10:21
I installed Mediatomb as ingnatz suggested (thank you very much for this!!!). Mediatomb is running fine except of one thing that I want to solve:

All my added music is listed as "unknown" - i.e. all songs are shown as Artist - Unknown, Album - Unknown etc. Any ideas why this happens? ID3 tags should be fine (iTunes, my iPod and also my Nokia 5800XM all have no problems recognizing the tags).

simistef
25-10-2009, 19:41
@ignatz - I did all the steps you said, and edited the configuration file, decommenting the PS3 parts.

starting mediatomb gave me this info:

[quentin@router root]$ tail /opt/var/log/mediatomb
2009-10-25 20:00:57 INFO: Loading configuration from: /opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml
2009-10-25 20:00:57 INFO: Checking configuration...
2009-10-25 20:00:57 INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to ASCII
2009-10-25 20:00:57 INFO: Setting metadata import charset to ASCII
2009-10-25 20:00:57 INFO: Setting playlist charset to ASCII
2009-10-25 20:00:57 INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
2009-10-25 20:00:58 INFO: Initialized port: 50500
2009-10-25 20:00:58 INFO: Server bound to: WAN_IP
2009-10-25 20:00:59 INFO: MediaTomb Web UI can be reached by following this link:
2009-10-25 20:00:59 INFO: http://WAN_IP:50500/

where WAN_IP is my WAN Ip not localhost ip of router, like 192.168.1.1

also, looks loke there are several processes of media tomb:

282 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb -p 50500
285 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb -p 5
286 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
288 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
290 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
291 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
293 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
292 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
294 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
295 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
296 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
297 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
299 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
300 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb

BUT, i cannot see the media server on my PS3. My PS3 being connected wireless to the router. The config.xml is the one generated, not the one from the first post of this thread.

Do you have any idea, why i cannot see it ?

pistata
25-10-2009, 21:01
Are you able to connect to the MediaTomb UI via web browser (http://WAN_IP:50500)?

I am running PS3 - WL500gPV2 - Mediatomb (compiled v.0.12.0) without any problem.

Maki

@ignatz - I did all the steps you said, and edited the configuration file, decommenting the PS3 parts.

starting mediatomb gave me this info:

[quentin@router root]$ tail /opt/var/log/mediatomb
2009-10-25 20:00:57 INFO: Loading configuration from: /opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml
2009-10-25 20:00:57 INFO: Checking configuration...
2009-10-25 20:00:57 INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to ASCII
2009-10-25 20:00:57 INFO: Setting metadata import charset to ASCII
2009-10-25 20:00:57 INFO: Setting playlist charset to ASCII
2009-10-25 20:00:57 INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
2009-10-25 20:00:58 INFO: Initialized port: 50500
2009-10-25 20:00:58 INFO: Server bound to: WAN_IP
2009-10-25 20:00:59 INFO: MediaTomb Web UI can be reached by following this link:
2009-10-25 20:00:59 INFO: http://WAN_IP:50500/

where WAN_IP is my WAN Ip not localhost ip of router, like 192.168.1.1

also, looks loke there are several processes of media tomb:

282 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb -p 50500
285 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb -p 5
286 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
288 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
290 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
291 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
293 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
292 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
294 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
295 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
296 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
297 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
299 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb
300 ? S 0:00 \_ /opt/bin/mediatomb -d -u quentin -g root -P /opt/var/run/mediatomb.pid -l /opt/var/log/mediatomb -m /opt/etc -f mediatomb

BUT, i cannot see the media server on my PS3. My PS3 being connected wireless to the router. The config.xml is the one generated, not the one from the first post of this thread.

Do you have any idea, why i cannot see it ?

simistef
26-10-2009, 07:02
Yes, i can see the web interface.

simistef
27-10-2009, 08:18
What "correct user, group and port." should be ?

Default are:

user -> root
group -> root
port -> 50500

i have changed only the user to "admin".

but is not working, i cannot see it on my PS3.

simistef
16-11-2009, 07:34
made it work !

just have to set the ip in mediatomb config file to 192.168.1.1 !

anyone experienced problems with the subtitles ?

tex
07-02-2010, 23:47
For all the very newbie like i'm...could someone join all these informations in a final step-by-step procedure to follow for a correct installation??? very thank's to all of you

NakedFaerie
30-05-2010, 13:25
Can I get a howto for installing this as I cant work it out.

I have a WL-500G.
I have Mediatomb that I can run via telnet from a HDD.
I want mediatomb to automatically turn on after a reboot.
I want it to be installed to the router not the HDD.

How do I do this?

Where is the "post boot" file and how do I edit it?

I'm not having much luck. I dont know the linux commands so I'm a complete noob at this.

I'm all new to linux and telnet so the most noob way would be good.

I'm using Windows 7.

I need to know what programs do I need to do do it.
How do I install it on the router? So far I can read the dirs but everything is read only so I cant copy anything. I'm not even sure I'm using the right commands.

I did today get SSH installed but its still mainly read only.
Also, how do I install files? I've read about these ipkg files but I cant get them to install even copying what it says to type.

pheidrias
25-02-2012, 12:09
I installed Mediatomb as ingnatz suggested (thank you very much for this!!!). Mediatomb is running fine except of one thing that I want to solve:

All my added music is listed as "unknown" - i.e. all songs are shown as Artist - Unknown, Album - Unknown etc. Any ideas why this happens? ID3 tags should be fine (iTunes, my iPod and also my Nokia 5800XM all have no problems recognizing the tags).

Same here!
Any ideas on this?

Installation went well as posted by ignatz in post #21.

Thanks

ryzhov_al
25-02-2012, 12:38

I'm afraid Mediatomb was compiled without ID3 tag support. Here (http://svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/optware/trunk/make/mediatomb.mk) is technical details.

pheidrias
25-02-2012, 14:52
:(

Thanks for the reply. So I should compile it myself?

What are the alternatives? I'm still confused with the media players on the asus.

I'd like to use my usb-disk for audio-storage and access my media from the internet --> preferably using a standard media player comfort as like the files where on my harddisk (banshee or rhythmbox for ubuntu, e.g. - dealing with tags etc.)...any chance?

ryzhov_al
25-02-2012, 15:36
Thanks for the reply. So I should compile it myself?

What are the alternatives? I'm still confused with the media players on the asus.You may try mediatomb or minidlna from OpenWRT repo (http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=28778). Both can read various movie/photo/music tags.

I'm not using mediatomb, but minidlna categorizes my music by tags, extracts album covers, photos arranged by shot dates and used cameras.

First run takes about 40 minutes to scan my library:

$ du -s -h /tmp/store/*
50.9G /tmp/store/Music
46.8G /tmp/store/Photo
80.9G /tmp/store/Video

$ cat /opt/var/log/minidlna.log | grep files
[2011/12/09 22:23:22] scanner.c:797: warn: Scanning /tmp/store/Video finished (532 files)!
[2011/12/09 22:29:25] scanner.c:797: warn: Scanning /tmp/store/Music finished (5367 files)!
[2011/12/09 22:41:44] scanner.c:797: warn: Scanning /tmp/store/Photo finished (20436 files)!
After then, second and others runs takes just a second.

pheidrias
28-02-2012, 17:56
Hi ryzhov_al!

Finally succeeded with the install of opkg. Although things don't work as expected, I hope to find out how to deal with them.

About minidlna: I can start the service

minidlna -d -f /opt/etc/minidlna.conf

and add the files, but cannont connect to the server using my clients (tried banshee, rhythmbox, clementine on ubuntu)...
Sometimes I see in the debug output the "404 Not Found" or simply can't find the server. Any idea what's wrong?

My config is:

# port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic
port=8200

# network interfaces to serve, comma delimited
network_interface=br0

# set this to the directory you want scanned.
# * if have multiple directories, you can have multiple media_dir= lines
# * if you want to restrict a media_dir to a specific content type, you
# can prepend the type, followed by a comma, to the directory:
# + "A" for audio (eg. media_dir=A,/home/jmaggard/Music)
# + "V" for video (eg. media_dir=V,/home/jmaggard/Videos)
# + "P" for images (eg. media_dir=P,/home/jmaggard/Pictures)
media_dir=A,/tmp/harddisk/Musik

# set this if you want to customize the name that shows up on your clients
friendly_name=My DLNA Server

# set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its database and album art cache
db_dir=/tmp/harddisk/dlna/cache/minidlna

# set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its log file
log_dir=/tmp/harddisk/dlna/var/log

# this should be a list of file names to check for when searching for album art
# note: names should be delimited with a forward slash ("/")
album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg

# set this to no to disable inotify monitoring to automatically discover new files
# note: the default is yes
inotify=yes

# set this to yes to enable support for streaming .jpg and .mp3 files to a TiVo supporting HMO
enable_tivo=no

# set this to strictly adhere to DLNA standards.
# * This will allow server-side downscaling of very large JPEG images,
# which may hurt JPEG serving performance on (at least) Sony DLNA products.
strict_dlna=no

# default presentation url is http address on port 80
#presentation_url=http://www.mylan/index.php

# notify interval in seconds. default is 895 seconds.
notify_interval=900

# serial and model number the daemon will report to clients
# in its XML description
serial=12345678
model_number=1

# specify the path to the MiniSSDPd socket
#minissdpdsocket=/var/run/minissdpd.sock

# use different container as root of the tree
# possible values:
# + "." - use standard container (this is the default)
# + "B" - "Browse Directory"
# + "M" - "Music"
# + "V" - "Video"
# + "P" - "Pictures"
# if you specify "B" and client device is audio-only then "Music/Folders" will be used as root
#root_container=.

Thanks for attention!

!gm
28-02-2012, 18:09
check the log

/tmp/harddisk/dlna/var/log/minidlna.log

just as notice -d option means debug - not demonize

here its working well with windows mediaplayer and a samsung tv :cool:

you know, that a scan of your directory can last hours

ryzhov_al
28-02-2012, 18:29
Any idea what's wrong?

My config is:

media_dir=A,/tmp/harddisk/Musik
db_dir=/tmp/harddisk/dlna/cache/minidlna
log_dir=/tmp/harddisk/dlna/var/log
Please, make sure that all those paths exists and minidlna is present in a process list.

pheidrias
28-02-2012, 18:58
I checked all directories and the log is only reporting:

[2012/02/28 19:59:56] minidlna.c:900: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.0.22 [SQLite 3.7.9].
[2012/02/28 19:59:56] minidlna.c:992: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200

minidlna is in the process list.

Any suggestion for a DLNA-Client running on linux? You said you were tagging your files, ryzhov_al - is this your TV or the windows media player (have no windows here)?

Do I miss something else? Firewall settings or something else?
The "UPnP-Inspector" on my laptop at least sees the media server.

:(,
pheidrias

ryzhov_al
28-02-2012, 19:09
You said you were tagging your files, ryzhov_al - is this your TV or the windows media player (have no windows here)?WD TV Live media player works smooth with the minidlna.

Do I miss something else?Config looks healthy. Mine is almost the same.
Have look at $ top. Maybe the minidlna still does his hard indexing work. When scan finished, it consumes a few percent (~2-4%) of CPU resources.

pheidrias
28-02-2012, 20:41
nope - indexing was finished last night ;-)!

And if I don't daemonize it (-d), I would see the messages of the ongoing indexing.

1014 usernam 18 0 19556 4324 1152 S 0.0 14.9 0:01.16 minidlna

I tried both the daemonized and non-daemonized versions...

!gm
28-02-2012, 20:43
I checked all directories and the log is only reporting:

[2012/02/28 19:59:56] minidlna.c:900: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.0.22 [SQLite 3.7.9].
[2012/02/28 19:59:56] minidlna.c:992: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200

on 1.0.24 you can change the verbosity ;)

edit: ok, that -d option changed lately....

pheidrias
28-02-2012, 20:55
I couldn't find any switch to increase the verbosity?

However: I always wondered, why one HAS to specify a config file using -f --> isn't it described as a volunteered argument?

Trying mediatomb now - still no extraction of the metadata....so not usable ;-(.

pheidrias
28-02-2012, 22:23
wtf!

I just tried to access the server from my android phone and it worked EASILY!

So my main problem are the mal-functioning dlna-implementions under Linux?
:eek: :(

Thank you all for your help...I'm stuck here...

Nixblicker
19-12-2012, 17:15
Hello guys,

I still stick with my good old WL500W, and am still very much satisfied with it.
But after my Twonky media server license expired, I had to find an alternative to stream my videos to my beamer.

So I gave mediatomb a try, and ended up installing the static optware version from http://mediatomb.cc/pages/download#optware.

After the fiddling with sqlite and such it seemed to work. But wait, it does only display my audio files in the tree I gave the ui to search for media.
There it also only displays an Audio subfolder in "Database", no Video listing at all.
Files I wished it would find are regular avi and such. Nothing special.

What the heck - tried googling, but nobody ever seems to have had this problem. Cannot find anything unusual also in the default config.xml that would make it exclude something.

Any ideas someone?

Cheers,
Nix

!gm
20-12-2012, 17:09
When I used the wl-500gP with mediatomb in the back-days, I wasn't satisfied at all. The indexing of video worked, but i took ages. You may run mediatomb with -D and -l {logfile} options while doing a rescan so we're may be able to understand whats wrong there.

I suggest using minidlna there is no hazzle when importing video. You loose transcoding-ability but in my eyes this is useless on a soho-router anyway.

Nixblicker
20-12-2012, 17:36
Thank you very much for your suggestions, !gm

I did include the -l option in the startup script and afterwards rescanned the db.
Here is the output

Sorry for the compression - it did'nt let me upload the plain text log.

On my first look it seems to be a problem with the character encoding.
But have a look if you don't mind.

Cheers,
Nix

When I used the wl-500gP with mediatomb in the back-days, I wasn't satisfied at all. The indexing of video worked, but i took ages. You may run mediatomb with -D and -l {logfile} options while doing a rescan so we're may be able to understand whats wrong there.

I suggest using minidlna there is no hazzle when importing video. You loose transcoding-ability but in my eyes this is useless on a soho-router anyway.

Nixblicker
20-12-2012, 18:00
Hello,

here are some lines from the config.xml, showing that utf-8 should be loaded.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<scripting script-charset="UTF-8">

But in the log it says the following:

2012-12-20 18:23:47 INFO: Checking configuration...
2012-12-20 18:23:47 INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to ASCII
2012-12-20 18:23:47 INFO: Setting metadata import charset to ASCII
2012-12-20 18:23:47 INFO: Setting playlist charset to ASCII
2012-12-20 18:23:47 INFO: Configuration check succeeded.

Seems it is the crooked charset problem once again... Dohhh
The Environment Variable LANG is not set in the basic shell of the box. Would have no idea how to set it permanently, if it helps at all...

Tried to set the encoding with "export LANG=en_UK.UTF-8" at the top of the startup script - no success.
Still importing in stupid ASCII.

Cheers

!gm
20-12-2012, 18:00
Sorry for the compression - it did'nt let me upload the plain text log.

no problem

what about

<filesystem-charset>ISO-8859-1</filesystem-charset>
<metadata-charset>ISO-8859-1</metadata-charset>

... if you haven't googled this by yourself ;)

Nixblicker
20-12-2012, 18:57
Ähem,

no I haven't ;).

I'll try that - but as the system is capable of utf I thought i should stick to it in MT.
Do you think its not properly built in the static version?

Well, whatever - will report back when I tried it.

UPDATE:

Inserted the above option in config.xml, but still no luck. The log still tells me files are imported in ASCII.

Is it possibly hardcoded?

Thx again for the tip,
Nix

Nixblicker
20-12-2012, 19:19
The documentation of the above config options states

Optional

Default: if nl_langinfo() function is present, this setting will be auto detected based on your system locale, else set to ISO-8859-1

Defines the charset of the filesystem. For example, if you have file names in Cyrillic KOI8-R encoding, then you should specify that here. The server uses UTF-8 internally, this import parameter will help you to correctly import your data.

So if i read it correct, this setting is something like a fallback value, if no charset is detected by the ominous nl_langinfo() function.

Do you by any chance know what this function is and if it is present?

Cheers,
Nix

!gm
20-12-2012, 20:21
ahhhhh me is stupid.... :D

set it to UTF-8

<filesystem-charset>UTF-8</filesystem-charset>
<metadata-charset>UTF-8</metadata-charset>

as that function seems not to work...

Nixblicker
20-12-2012, 21:14
Well, that change of the option also doesn't.

Still importing in ASCII so it seems. At least the log claims to do so.

But actually this doesn't seem to be the base of the problem. Even if a just select a subfolder guaranteed not to have charset encoding problems, there is no video file added to the database. No Video subfolder created in the ui etc.

Darn, I'm out of ideas here.
Probably I should give minidlna a try.

Thx anyway !gm!