PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Problem with NTFS disk

Antiloop
20-02-2004, 01:02
is anyone using here NTFS partition's with files bigger than 4gb or FAT/FAT32 or something similair

when i try to list the dir listing i get this:

# cd /mnt/usbfs/
# ls
ls: ./italianjob-nl.ISO: Value too large for defined data type
DareDevil The-Eye
System Volume Information
#

in the ftp server this file isn't displayed either

is this a 'bug' in linux ? the kernel or something else? or just a limitation because i want to read off a NTFS partition ?

justwords
21-02-2004, 20:48
I think the reason is ntfs. The ability to read ntfs is very new to linux and support for writing on ntfs is not available yet, at least not in standard distribution. even some windows hard disk tools are not able to read/repair ntfs volumes.

Use Fat16, that will be working for sure. By the way, who has been using very large usb-volumes with the 500b/g? Does it make sense to put a file collection (Music etc.) for a small network on such a volume.

Antiloop
21-02-2004, 21:14
true, but my music collection is like 90gb large, i can't put this collection on my pc's or notebook because they don't have that much storage

so for me it makes sense, at least when there would be a NFSdaemon avaible so i can mount it as a network drive

and i know linux is not really able to write ntfs at this moment, but i was wondering if fat32/fat16 would have the same problems with images larger then 4gb

justwords
21-02-2004, 21:46
Sure, this was exactly what i was thinking about. My question was real interest, no mock up. Using a usb harddrive connected to the asus is much cheaper and costs less energy than putting a whole noisy pc up just to be able to access some mp3-files (ok, some more mp3-files maybe) on the harddisk.

I do not know if speed might be a problem if 2 or 3 users try to access the mp3-collection on the asus ftp-site.

Also ftp is not the ideal protocol for this kind of thing. Webdav would be much much better, as xp and mac os x can use webdav-volumes just like any volume. Linux/Apache supports webdav, but maybe this is too much to ask from a small device like a router.

At the moment, i can mount any ftp-server showing up like a regular disk in mac os x (i am not sure about windows xp), but i cannot write to it. And i think itunes does not work very well with ftp-volumes (though it might work if you mount the ftp-server before on the desktop).

Besides i have a problem using usb-printer and ftp-server at the same time with a hub. If i unplug the hub while the asus runs and plug it back in it works, but after some time it seems to stop working. No idea if this is due to the hub or the usb-stick or due to the asus firmware.

justwords
21-02-2004, 21:49
another question: Why use ntfs? It makes access not easier, it is just a different format, whereas ftp is a way to access a volume. And what does it have to do with nfs network volume access?

Antiloop
21-02-2004, 23:00
Originally posted by justwords
Sure, this was exactly what i was thinking about. My question was real interest, no mock up. Using a usb harddrive connected to the asus is much cheaper and costs less energy than putting a whole noisy pc up just to be able to access some mp3-files (ok, some more mp3-files maybe) on the harddisk.

I do not know if speed might be a problem if 2 or 3 users try to access the mp3-collection on the asus ftp-site.

Also ftp is not the ideal protocol for this kind of thing. Webdav would be much much better, as xp and mac os x can use webdav-volumes just like any volume. Linux/Apache supports webdav, but maybe this is too much to ask from a small device like a router.

At the moment, i can mount any ftp-server showing up like a regular disk in mac os x (i am not sure about windows xp), but i cannot write to it. And i think itunes does not work very well with ftp-volumes (though it might work if you mount the ftp-server before on the desktop).

Besides i have a problem using usb-printer and ftp-server at the same time with a hub. If i unplug the hub while the asus runs and plug it back in it works, but after some time it seems to stop working. No idea if this is due to the hub or the usb-stick or due to the asus firmware.

about the usb hub, is it external powered? if i plug in the external power it stops functioning -normal- but start function unreliable, this becomes very clear when you would hookup a webcam, the view gets distorted then or stops

justwords
21-02-2004, 23:22
self-powered and has a very short cable (meant for notebooks). I will have to try the webcam.

frank
22-02-2004, 10:23
I encouter the same problem with usb stick and lpt- printer if i reset and take the stick out and replug works evrything just fine. but after a while printer and usb stik stick stop working when i reset printer will work usb stick not. i use the newest firmware

COOLIO_comes
14-01-2005, 22:12
Hello guys,

I heave read that manual and I would like to ask you why is it impossible to write data at FTP NTFS disc.....?

Is there a solution (using special firmware?).

Why everything cool is available only with Linux-like firmware? I don't like command line stuff. :mad:

Asus WL500g is fine, but I am pissed off at them because of these "details".

Styno
14-01-2005, 22:33
Well, you might be pissed, but the answer is plain and simple.

Linux does not, yet, have an fully functional and fully tested NTFS driver for reading AND writing. There are good drivers for writing but not for writing. This is mainly because Microsoft has chosen not to reveal the inner workings of the NTFS filesystem, therefore the Linux community needs to reverse engineer it which costs lots of time. So please be mad at MS but not at Asus, or the Linux community.

gwl
14-01-2005, 22:48
... I don't like command line stuff. :mad:
Asus WL500g is fine, but I am pissed off at them because of these "details".

Maybe you should have bought a M$ router! or something else that isn't running linux.
You don't like "command line stuff" ? buy DLink... they are expensive, closed source, full of buggs and useless!
:D

"...Why everything cool is available only with Linux-like firmware..."
hummm... hard question... I wonder why!?!? .... :cool:

COOLIO_comes
15-01-2005, 03:18
It surely takes time to analyze NTFS, when Microsoft is so secretive, but what about timing? Does anybody here know when will be that implementation ready?

Antiloop
15-01-2005, 03:51
It surely takes time to analyze NTFS, when Microsoft is so secretive, but what about timing? Does anybody here know when will be that implementation ready?
uh.. let's say it like this.. they are busy for years already

switch to fat32 or ext3 if needed

rude
08-08-2006, 21:43
i have a wl500g deluxe and a HDDrive 2 GO from medion. I installed oleg firmware 1.9.2.7-7c and activated Samba using dropbear. everything worked
fine on this NTFS disk i could even write to it and FTP was working well.

Then my harddisk died and got a new one from Medion. It is the same as i had. i connected it to my router and now i can read it but i can't write to it any more.

i didn't change anything on my router (i just connected the drive plugin in the cables).

Can somebody help solve this problem. (PS would like to keep NTFS)

itoxauen
29-09-2006, 20:06
Hello:
I have a router WL-500gP with firmware asus 1.9.7.0
My router only finds my HD in FAT32
Me alone I can discharge files of 2 GB with the "Download Master"
Does some solution exist for me to be able to discharge bigger files?
Do I have to change firmware?
I need help, please
I don't speak very well English, my excuses
Thanks to all

carmstrong
12-10-2006, 03:45
The router also supports the ext2 filesystem, so you could format an external HD (or partition) with that.

upcuser:-(
16-10-2006, 23:53
hi,
i missed the nfs-support too. therefore i changed to openwrt - it ofters the common packages so that you should be able to configure what you need.
i wrote some lines to my experiences:
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=38090
regards.

upcuser:-(
17-10-2006, 00:04
--double posting --- sorry

krn
02-11-2006, 10:13
Hi
I've connected a 300GB disk to my rouler, it contains two partitions a ntfs 275 GB and an ext2 partition 25 GB. I'have of course not writing access to the ntfs, but strangely it is the same with the ext2 partition. If I format the ext2 patition to fat32 I can write to it, I do however have files > 4GB.

why can't I write to my ext2 partition, does any one have an idea how to fix this?

I'll like just to have just one partition with R/W access I can use from my Win XP clients. At the moment I am using "Ext2 Installable File System for Windows" to access ext2, which works fine when connected direct via USB.

hackerted
24-04-2007, 16:03
I connected a FAT32 HDD and it works fine.
But FAT32 does not support the file above 4GB.:mad:
Any suggestions very gratefully received!

ps. sorry for my english ,i'm from Taiwan

Oleg
24-04-2007, 16:49
Use ext3, as NTFS is r/o.

peca89
04-10-2007, 10:01
I have one ext3 partition mounted to /tmp/harddisk and one ntfs partition mounted to /tmp/harddisk/part1. I can access ext3 partition normally (read/write) via samba, but I cannot access my ntfs partition at all.

I tried to change the attributes of the /tmp/harddisk/part1 directory but without success. While ntfs partition isn't mounted, I can set all the read permissions correctly, but as soon as I mount ntfs partition, /tmp/harddisk/part1 looses all the read permissions.

How can I solve this problem?

btw, I can see both partitions via stupid ftp correctly

ryoku
04-02-2008, 06:18
Hello together,

I have the original firmware on my asus and want to enable media server to access the attached 500gb HDD with a playstation 3.
The problem now is, that it is recognized by the playstation, but not readable.
WIth my laptop I cannot create folders or save files on it.
Therefore I guess it is an problem with permissions.
has anyone an idea?

thank you

raas
04-02-2008, 12:56
Hi,

NTFS is never writable when mounted to the asus.

And I don't know if the original firmware supports ntfs-read,
oleg firmware does.

if you want read/write access use fat32, if you can live wiht small (<2gb) files.

otherwise use ext2/ext3 (*nix) filesystem, these one can be mounted rw and don't have a 2gb limit.

ryoku
04-02-2008, 18:41
Hi,

NTFS is never writable when mounted to the asus.

And I don't know if the original firmware supports ntfs-read,
oleg firmware does.

if you want read/write access use fat32, if you can live wiht small (<2gb) files.

otherwise use ext2/ext3 (*nix) filesystem, these one can be mounted rw and don't have a 2gb limit.

thanks first, I will try olegs one. thank you!

ryoku
05-02-2008, 19:50
did not work

[admin@(none) /tmp]$ ls
dnsmasq.log harddisk nas.lan.pid ppp syslog.log
etc local nas.wan.conf resolv.conf udhcpc
filter_rules nas.lan.conf nat_rules syscmd.log var
[admin@(none) /tmp]$ cd harddisk/
[admin@(none) harddisk]$ mkdir asdf
mkdir: Cannot create directory `asdf': Read-only file system

any recommandations?

al37919
05-02-2008, 20:04
The keyword from the previous message is: "NTFS is never writable"
So, relax. there's no way around.

chlapcisko
07-04-2008, 22:58
Hi,
WL-500W cant read my external USB harddisk. I use the latest Oleg's firmware (1.9.2.7-10) and I get this error message:
kernel: NTFS: Unable to set blocksize 512.
kernel: NTFS: Partition cluster size is not supported yet (it is > max kernel blocksize).

Is it possible to solve this problem somehow, please? (I mean - not to reformat harddisk and set smaller cluster size, of course.)
Thanks

P.S. Sorry for my english

Quide
08-07-2008, 15:11
Hi,

For now, i think there is only support for FAT32, ext2 and ext3.

wpte
08-07-2008, 23:23
FAT32 and EXT3 are supported in oleg.
NTFS should be read-only;)

if you want to format the disk on your pc, you might want to use this:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

it formats and partitions harddisks to nearly anything, and free;)
if you want to format it on your router, just read wengi''s howto:)

outkastm
08-01-2009, 15:26
I have an Asus W500GPv2 with PB Store&Play 500G. I have one swap partition, one EXT2 and one NTFS. How can i share the NTFS partition to be able to copy from EXT2 to NTFS partition , because it says the NTFS partition have read only attribute. I try with samba and from putty.

raas
08-01-2009, 16:32
Hi,

you can not write to NTFS partitions, only read.
for write you'll need FAT or EXT partitions.

brian.deer
11-02-2009, 19:36
I tried connecting a backup drive to my router via usb. It recognized the hard drive, but it said i could not use upnp because the hard drive was formatted as ntfs. Also, it will not allow me to set read or write permissions to the drive. I would be fine with reformatting, but I wondered if there is either a different firmware i should use or whether there is another way to get my drive to work with the router (accessing files wirelessly)?

thanks

wengi
11-02-2009, 20:10
hi,

some more info would be fine:
firmware? version?
if olegs newest: try "ipkg install ntfsprogs"

wengi

al37919
11-02-2009, 21:05
if you are ready to reformat your hdd to ext3, I suggest to attach the disk to a windows PC, remove ntfs partition using built-in disk manager and then create partition and format it on the router

outkastm
18-02-2009, 20:12
Is tere any chance to have write support for NTFS or HFS+ file system ?

the
20-03-2009, 10:30
well, now i see the same messages in my dmesg...

and i think i know the reason why - i chose 32k cluster size for formatting ntfs partition under windows (coz i planned to store mainly large files)

so probably latest Oleg's firmware understands only 512 cluster size

IS it possible to change (increase) the kernel's max blocksize up to 32k, OR it's gonna be too complex and hard to do - and i'd better just decrease the cluster size to 512?

many thanks in advance

wpte
22-03-2009, 11:23
Uhm... well...
I believe the beta firmware has some bug fixes for NTFS or will have it in the future...
Anyway, you can recompile the firmware or download the beta firmware here: http://code.google.com/p/wl500g/

the instructions on how to compile are also on there.
I would recommend ubuntu (install "build-essential" for compiling)
and reconfigure the kernel... but that might be tricky yes

the
22-03-2009, 18:52
I don't think that the block size 512 supported in the firmware might be considered as a bug. It's just one of the possible options available with NTFS

So I guess the supported block size must be defined somewhere in the source files.

wpte, are you aware where exactly the NTFS block size is defined in the source files ? It would be good to have such a hint from your side...

wpte
23-03-2009, 20:47
I don't think that the block size 512 supported in the firmware might be considered as a bug. It's just one of the possible options available with NTFS

So I guess the supported block size must be defined somewhere in the source files.

wpte, are you aware where exactly the NTFS block size is defined in the source files ? It would be good to have such a hint from your side...

I'm not aware where they are, I'm not even sure they are actually
There are just so many options you can configure in the kernel, it's just mindblowing (10minutes of choosing options and your still not finished)
anyway, you can still wait till the back-ported version of a newer ntfs module is ready in the beta firmware;)

pinkbegemot
12-04-2009, 11:54
To RAAS:

The original firmware does support "READ" from NTFS partition -- I never upgraded to Oleg's soft :(
But thanks a lot for your tip about "WRITE" permissions with FAT32...of course....I have spent a number of hours trying to write to my NTFS system on Asus :)

gouryella
28-10-2009, 22:51
ok, solved.

swordfish77
21-03-2010, 22:21
Hi all, about format with ext3, i have a 500GB WD HDD with all stuff on it(samba,cron, transmission,..). I buy a new 1 TB HDD but i'm not manage to format with router. When i try to mke2fs -j,after i fdisk it, i receive a message like partiton is mounted .. what seems to be the problem?

wengi
22-03-2010, 12:02
@swordfish
This is a double post. Please see
http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=191065&postcount=834

Your fstab is wrong.

wengi

robrbarron
07-08-2011, 05:36
There was an old thread on this but I'm looking for any recent updates that enable NTFS R/W fw1.9.2.7-d-2381 /Opt on 4G usb disk

NTFS-3G looks good but cant work out how to get it to work on WL500.

The drive connects to router fine but automounts as RO.
can umount and mount as ntfs manually but only as ro.

I have installed ntfs-3g 2009.4.4-1 using ipkg but it asks for Fuse-lib, Installed fuselib from http://code.google.com/p/wl500g/sour...svn2639&r=2639.

I note that there is a 2010 version of ntfs-3g available on googlecode but not as an ipkg update.

attemping to mount drive produces error.
[admin@Asus_Study root]$ ntfs-3g /dev/discs/disc1/part1 /tmp/mnt/disc1_1
modprobe: chdir(2.4.37.10): No such file or directory
ntfs-3g-mount: fuse device is missing, try 'modprobe fuse' as root
[admin@Asus_Study root]$ modprobe fuse
modprobe: chdir(2.4.37.10): No such file or directory
[admin@Asus_Study root]$

so am at the limit of my linux ability.... any other ideas ?