PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : [WIRELESS] WPA-PSK - is it operational?

andru123
25-02-2004, 14:52
Hi,

I just bought 500g, it has the latest firmware.

I configured desktop PC via 500g and Chello modem, no problems.
I configured notebook with Dell (Broadcom) TrueMobile 1300 mini-PCI card (WinXP) to use WEP 128-bit. No problems. DHCP server in 500g accepts the notebook and gives it IP, connection is good, fine.

But as soon as I change the encryption to WPA-PSK (AES or TKIP, does not matter, I tried both), it does not work.

Here what happens: notebook recognizes the SSID, connects(!), but no traffic occurs. There are a lot of sent packets from notebook, but 0 recieved. Hence notebook does not get an IP address from the DHCP server.

I suspect the advertised WPA encryption is not really operational?

Antiloop
25-02-2004, 15:42
Originally posted by andru123
Hi,

I just bought 500g, it has the latest firmware.

I configured desktop PC via 500g and Chello modem, no problems.
I configured notebook with Dell (Broadcom) TrueMobile 1300 mini-PCI card (WinXP) to use WEP 128-bit. No problems. DHCP server in 500g accepts the notebook and gives it IP, connection is good, fine.

But as soon as I change the encryption to WPA-PSK (AES or TKIP, does not matter, I tried both), it does not work.

Here what happens: notebook recognizes the SSID, connects(!), but no traffic occurs. There are a lot of sent packets from notebook, but 0 recieved. Hence notebook does not get an IP address from the DHCP server.

I suspect the advertised WPA encryption is not really operational?

well i've been running WPA-PSK with AES for a long time (in eindhovuh ook jah) with no problems. (wl500g + wl100g)

Since i'm using a Asus WL-120(802.11b) card in my network, which requires TKIP because the drivers are not able to handle AES atm problems started. but i can always get a IP from the dhcp

maybe if i have time this day i'll make a howto setup for AES

or first follow the howto setup a wep encrypted network and change after that to AES, thats how i did it.

andru123
25-02-2004, 15:52
I have already WEP 128 operational. WPA does not want to work :( And I really really want WPA, because WEP transmits unencrypted MAC address -> easy to hax.

PS. Very useful site you got there running, Antiloop! :p :cool: GJ

Antiloop
25-02-2004, 19:03
I have already WEP 128 operational. WPA does not want to work :( And I really really want WPA, because WEP transmits unencrypted MAC address -> easy to hax.

PS. Very useful site you got there running, Antiloop! :p :cool: GJ

did you already try the drivers on this site ?(wl100g drivers) they should work too at your truemobile card, based on broadcom too.

i'm using a wl120 (broadcom 11mbit, the same as in a WL500b) using TKIP with issues

andru123
27-02-2004, 08:50
Is it safe to use drivers of PCMCI card for internal miniPCI card from another manufacturer?
Ah, well will try it anyway since nothing else works. Otherwise I might return the darn thing :/

andru123
29-02-2004, 12:19
Ok, I tried everything. WPA does not work on mine WL500g. Punt.

With WPA-PSK enabled, it connects, sends packets but never recieves any.

I installed drivers of Wl100g for the TrueMobile. It did not help.

I went out and bought WL100g card :rolleyes:

Installed it. With the latest drivers from ASUS web site.

Disabled TrueMobile. WL100g connects fine in WEP mode. But as soon I enable WPA, it does not work. Not with AES, not with TKIP. I tried different intervals for key renewal 0, 30, 60, 600. No difference.

I went and downloaded Odyssey client. (It supposedly disables windows shit and manages the connection itself) Ppl were saying it worked ALWAYS. Ok, installed it, configured for WPA-AES. The same - connected, then "waiting for keys" message, then connection lost, reconnect - and so on.
Tried WPA-TKIP. The same. Connects - waits for keys - disconnects.

Packed everything. Going to return both ASUS boxes next week.

Antiloop
29-02-2004, 13:52
Ok, I tried everything. WPA does not work on mine WL500g. Punt.

With WPA-PSK enabled, it connects, sends packets but never recieves any.

I installed drivers of Wl100g for the TrueMobile. It did not help.

I went out and bought WL100g card :rolleyes:

Installed it. With the latest drivers from ASUS web site.

Disabled TrueMobile. WL100g connects fine in WEP mode. But as soon I enable WPA, it does not work. Not with AES, not with TKIP. I tried different intervals for key renewal 0, 30, 60, 600. No difference.

I went and downloaded Odyssey client. (It supposedly disables windows shit and manages the connection itself) Ppl were saying it worked ALWAYS. Ok, installed it, configured for WPA-AES. The same - connected, then "waiting for keys" message, then connection lost, reconnect - and so on.
Tried WPA-TKIP. The same. Connects - waits for keys - disconnects.

Packed everything. Going to return both ASUS boxes next week.

did you do a hard reset already for the wl500g ? it could be messed up by some other user (who had that wl500g before you did...)

here it always worked perfectly (with AES) see also attached file for working setup (for me)

and use as passphrase '9F062FF8D6CA11039801585A09' for example.

did you also install both windows xp patches?

andru123
29-02-2004, 16:54
I have both patches, i reinstalled and deinstalled them several times, and in different order. (But 815485 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815485) should be installed before 826942 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826942) I figured )

I did not try hard reset, but i did try the latest firmware from ASUS. Which matched the one in the device, btw, but i uploaded it anyways.

Ah, well, will try also other firmwarez and the customized one.

I use for a password very short string (like "abcdefghij") Should it be hexadecimal digits?

PS. SSID - "Monkeys"? :D

Antiloop
29-02-2004, 18:35
I have both patches, i reinstalled and deinstalled them several times, and in different order. (But 815485 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815485) should be installed before 826942 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826942) I figured )

I did not try hard reset, but i did try the latest firmware from ASUS. Which matched the one in the device, btw, but i uploaded it anyways.

Ah, well, will try also other firmwarez and the customized one.

I use for a password very short string (like "abcdefghij") Should it be hexadecimal digits?

PS. SSID - "Monkeys"? :D

heheh yes.. AAPg came from my WL300 which was named AAP because of Asus Access Point.

but in this way it should work.

andru123
02-03-2004, 22:44
Hi, I managed to get it working in WPA-PSK mode finally.

Hard reset really helped :) as you said. Also I changed SSID to a shorter one. :cool:

frankvh
06-03-2004, 16:44
Good to know that WPA works in AP mode. Does anyone know if WPA works in bridging mode? One would hope so...?

Wisi
11-03-2004, 19:40
watch my new topic...