PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Palantir - Streaming Video on WL-500g

WlanMan
22-12-2004, 20:06
Hi

I got Palantir, the Streaming Audio and Video Server running on the 500g, now getting rid of the buggy activex stuff and adding audio and live video.

Will post the Bins tomorrow.

http://www.fastpath.it/products/palantir

Greets

hugo
23-12-2004, 21:36
I'm waiting eagerly for it! Thanks for your work

WlanMan
23-12-2004, 23:18
Hi

Decompress it to the root of an external flashdisk or harddisk , and then cd to
/tmp/harddisk/palantir/bin , there you can start it with ./palantir .
The configuration is tested with a Philips Vesta Pro.
You need to disable webcam from web interface and insmod videodev.o and pwc.o manualy before starting palantir.
You can open the firewall outwards with "iptables -I INPUT 2 -p tcp --syn --dport 3000 -j ACCEPT" and "iptables -I INPUT 2 -p tcp --syn --dport 3001 -j ACCEPT".
palantir -h gives some runtime-adjustable settings.

Have fun :)
P.s: I Would be glad to hear if Audio is working, the sound part of the cam is working with the kernal, and palantir taps into it but on my tests i cant hear anything.

hugo
25-12-2004, 17:59
This is working great; I'm looking into the sound and maybe a higher resolution using pwcx

I'm also posting a tool that might be of help for your cam to tweak white balance and other parameters.

hugo
25-12-2004, 19:22
Anybody got this file? pwcx-8.2.2.tar.gz

I can only find gentoo linux pre compiled files. I'm looking for the real sources. This would allow 320x240 on palantir

Oleg
25-12-2004, 19:52
you mean 640x480?
read nemosoft page, pwcx are binaries, there is no sources available.

hugo
25-12-2004, 20:18
Sources are available for version 9 but the firmware only have version8. Pwcx will only work with same version of pwc drivers. There is a precompiled lib necessary to make the kernel module, but you still need to make the module by itself.

You need to use pwcx for 320x240 if framerate is set over 5 fps, which is the case on vesion compiled by Wlanman. This is from palantir website FAQ.

Version 9 is not specific to kernel 2.4.20, but the version I requested is.

Oleg
25-12-2004, 20:26
hm, well probably I've wrong impression... But anyway, pwc has a binary only part used for compression/decompression.
Also, there was a link posted in the forum with a link to driver, based on the pwc sources, but which has decompression reverse-engineered.

Oleg
25-12-2004, 20:45
hugo, have you read this (http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/):

As most of you probably know, the driver consists of two parts, PWC which is available as source and part of the kernel, and PWCX, the binary-only decompressor part. PWC itself works, but with limitations in framerate and resolution; to get the full benfits of the cam, you must use PWCX.

WlanMan
25-12-2004, 21:59
You need to use pwcx for 320x240 if framerate is set over 5 fps, which is the case on vesion compiled by Wlanman. This is from palantir website FAQ.

5 Frames ? I dont saw it on the page.
Reducing framerate to 5 frames should be ok, i got a maximum of 8 frames/s out of my setup in open-loop view.
OV511 cam results would be nice.

Has someone a Logitech Orbit cam ? Palantir can controll her pan/tilt system remoute :).
Hugo: Your setpwc has the wrong device path compiled in, /dev/v4l/video0

Greets
p.s: Sysfeed is working, pipe can be created with "mknod /tmp/telmu_pipe \p"

hugo
25-12-2004, 23:23
About my setpwc, sorry for the bad setup. Please use the -d /dev/v4l/video0 option to make it work, before running palantir.

About 320x240, you can try by yourself: I have a cannot open SWIN device, which is a need for compressed stream from pwcx.
A download from the tarball from pwcx maker show a need for pwcx at 320x240 over 5 fps (it's in an html file in the site folder in pwc tarball)

The server dies with "Fatal error: SWIN: No such file or directory". What can I do?

Your camera is most likely using the pwc driver.
In this case, the "No such file or directory" error text is a bit misleading. The correct interpretation is that a capture mode (combination of resolution and frame rate) which requires compression was requested, but the driver does not know how to support it.
To support compressed capture modes, you have to insmod the pwcx companion driver. Being distributed in binary-only form due to license issues, it is not included in the Linux kernel source tree, and not all distributions include it in compiled form either (Debian, for example, does not). You can download it at http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/.
The pwc site also has (well, used to have) a comprehensive list of uncompressed (in green) and compressed (in red) video capture modes. By default, Palantir tries to initialize the camera at 320x240, 30 fps - which the driver can't handle without compression. So, if pwcx is not an option, you can try to lower the capture resolution (use the proper command-line or configuration file option) or the frame rate (which, unfortunately, at the moment requires editing one of the source files; see video.c around line 209).

Oleg
26-12-2004, 09:30
Found it - http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/
Hope somebody owning pwc will try compiling and using this

hugo
26-12-2004, 11:29
I tried already this one, but they looks like made for 2.6 kernels. I haven't made them successfully so far (but I'm no expert!)

WlanMan
26-12-2004, 12:58
Hi

Lowering to 10fps should be ok i think, i got not much more out of the device here.
This is palantir with background darkstats and ftp transfer running. ftp speed was around 400k and stable.

Dec 26 13:42:30 [http] 192.168.1.20:1239: wrote 214 [+0] frames (685369 bytes) in 39.20 s - 5.46 f/s, 17.07 kB/s, 3.13 kB/f
Dec 26 13:42:30 [main] Capture thread stopped - 231 frames in 42.58 s (5.42 f/s)
Dec 26 13:42:30 [main] 0 client(s) connected

And this without massive backgrond jobs:

Dec 26 13:46:47 [http] 192.168.1.20:1353: wrote 151 [+0] frames (484060 bytes) in 15.38 s - 9.82 f/s, 30.73 kB/s, 3.13 kB/f
Dec 26 13:46:47 [main] Capture thread stopped - 191 frames in 19.53 s (9.78 f/s)
Dec 26 13:46:47 [main] 0 client(s) connected

Greets

hugo
26-12-2004, 13:43
I changed the line 209 in video.c and replaced 30 by 5. After making it, I can run palantir succesfully and get one picture, but then I get a segmentation fault. Did you experience the same behaviour on your source, or did you make some modifications to make it work?

BTW, I cannot make the pwc version 10.0.6a source. I stil havent found how to redirect to opt kernel source instread of my linux distro ones.

hugo
26-12-2004, 18:58
Found it - http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/
Hope somebody owning pwc will try compiling and using this

I havent been able to compile this one. I don't know how to change the makefile as it is a kernel module. I'm sure it will be a piece of cake for kernel hackers.

Basicaly, the FPS change will not work most of the time because of some segmentation fault. This is something happeniing also when not cross compiling.

So our best option is to get a new PWC driver. It can be PWC ver 9, as we can still find it on the original website, or the ver 10 that you headed up, Oleg.

As an added bonus for version 10, we can specify fps by insmoding pwc. So we don't need to make change in the palantir source code.

Tom
27-12-2004, 12:57
I took the openWRT way and compiled the last nemosoft pwc and pwcx.
The new version 10, which does not rely on a binary part, may become interesing in the future.

The binaries I compiled are:
- setpwc (setting parameters of the Webcam (also pan and tilt))
- mvc (small movement detection)
- camsrv (also a streaming server with a java applet client, similar to palantir but no audio)
- pwc 9, pwcx 9

If you want to try the binaries you can extract it from the package i prepared for openwrt. That's possible in two ways:
1. use my customized openwrt firmware
2. extract it from the package

For 1.:
Install my Firmware (you loose the webinterface, so you should be familiar with openWrt!!)
http://tom.stoeveken.com/programme/philips-webcam/openwrt-linux.trx
then telnet or ssh into the router:
# ipkg install http://tom.stoeveken.com/programme/philips-webcam/philips-webcam_0.1_mipsel.ipk

For 2.:
- download the package http://tom.stoeveken.com/programme/philips-webcam/philips-webcam_0.1_mipsel.ipk
- append the .tgz extension
- extract data.tar.gz from this package, it contains the binaries and applets

On request I'll put the modified source somewhere.

hugo
27-12-2004, 14:58
Your version of pwc and pwcx did the trick . I have now 320x240 picture, at a lower framerate, but still working. Thanks!

WlanMan
01-01-2005, 18:46
I changed the line 209 in video.c and replaced 30 by 5. After making it, I can run palantir succesfully and get one picture, but then I get a segmentation fault. Did you experience the same behaviour on your source, or did you make some modifications to make it work?

Hmm, did just that and a minimal typo in the error output.
The Stream Works and has never made a segfault, but it sometimes hangs up the picture transmission while still thinking it runs, when i do some fast pagereloads on the direkt stream.
Overall, it works quite stable and i had no trouble on x86 with it, but not extensively tested.

Does had sound worked ?

Greets

hugo
01-01-2005, 19:25
nope, the server is very stable, now with the pwc ver 9 drivers, but I could never get a sound, even if I have a vista pro.

I don't even get a /dev/dsp or anything that could be producing some sound. Do you have something more than me? I've seen in you config the reference to the /dev/dsp?

WlanMan
01-01-2005, 21:04
ything that could be producing some sound. Do you have something more than me? I've seen in you config the reference to the /dev/dsp?

## AudioCaptureDevice: audio device to capture from.
## Default is /dev/dsp.
#
AudioCaptureDevice /dev/sound/dsp
The Dev Filesys is someway other organised

usbaudio: registered dsp 14,3
usbaudio: constructing mixer for Terminal 3 type 0x0101
usbaudio: warning: found 1 of 0 logical channels.
usbaudio: assuming the channel found is the master channel (got a Philips Camera?). Should be fine.
usbaudio: registered mixer 14,0
I Get this and some lines before with my vesta pro. no extra drivers are installed.

Greets

hugo
01-01-2005, 21:45
nope, I don't have any sound device installed. Maybe your's is not really working and th'ats why you don't get anything?

hugo
02-01-2005, 16:23
Got the latest firmware, and yes, I have a sound device. But I do get it even without plugging a camera. So I guess it is not related. I don't get any new devices after plugging it.

EDIT: This sound device is probably comming from the new usb sound device from latest asus firmware.

WlanMan
03-01-2005, 00:27
Hi

The Audio is definitely working.
You can do a "cat /dev/sound/dsp" and then do some loud sounds. The Patterns alternate regularly and synchron to the sound.
If you Plug in the vesta after full bootup and do dmesg you should get many lines saying something about sound channel configuration.

Greets

Technik
04-01-2005, 01:29
I have just tested Palantir with my Creative Labs WebCam III (OV511 chipset, no audio). It seems to be working fine at 320x240 (~3 fps) and 640x480 (~0.75 fps). :) Tested on WL-500g FW 1.7.5.9-3 booted from USB key. 160x120 mode is unusable (working at ~11fps but a corrupted picture).

WlanMan
18-01-2005, 21:49
Hi Folks

Audio input with the Philips Vesta Pro is realy working, it was as simple as raising volume up from zero ;).
Sadly, GSM coding is too much for 80 Mips, i got a 3sec audio slice every 10 seconds or so. Try it out, im very interrested if it works on other users too.

This is Smixer 1.0.4 (http://centerclick.org/programs/smixer/)
I deleted all but the Mic setting in the conf, you can add others in the same manner if your sound devices supports them (Like output on a speaker) just use the name shown with the -p switch instead of mic. Range is from 0 to 100.

Decompress with "tar -xvzf smixer-mipsel.tgz" on the USB Disk or in /tmp, and run it with "./smixer -f smixer.conf".
Current settings can be printed with "./smixer -p".

Got the latest firmware, and yes, I have a sound device. But I do get it even without plugging a camera. So I guess it is not related. I don't get any new devices after plugging it.
Hi, i think now i understand you (long time, heh :) If you mean the files under /dev, this is normal thy get created at boot time. You have to look into dmesg output to see if your camīs microphone is recognised.

Greets :)

Ifaistos
21-01-2005, 07:56
I think the main "problem" is the jpg compresion takes too many cycles,as there is no FPU.

I made some tests last night and tried to connect 2 cameras (run palantir twice with different config files) and what happens is that the camera that gets to run first takes all the "juice" and it is almost impossible to connect to the second camera,even if the first is stopped (no client).
The first camera gets like 3-5 fps (depending on size) and the other nothing which is kind of strange... :confused:

I have two Creative Labs cams (different chipset ov511 and ov516) and when i have tested them on a similar configuration on a (slow - 400 Mhz PII) pc they worked ok (both cams got some fps)

Any ideas ?

BTW could someone post the patches they used to get palantir compiled ?

hugo
21-01-2005, 08:22
Palantir doesn't need a patch to compile. Just use the proper CC and LDFLAGS to get the configure script running

smarechal
29-03-2005, 20:34
Is there someone that have pwcx or newer pwc for 320x240 resolution?

Thanks a lot

Siegfried

hugo
30-03-2005, 16:12
Is there someone that have pwcx or newer pwc for 320x240 resolution?

Thanks a lot

Siegfried

Did you read the whole thread?

For 2.:
- download the package http://tom.stoeveken.com/programme/philips-webcam/philips-webcam_0.1_mipsel.ipk

On request I'll put the modified source somewhere.

KillerOPS
12-04-2005, 01:09
Ok, glad to find out someone actually played with palantir on wl-500g. I want to make a controllable webcam for the wl-500g. I've built one and i used 2 floppy motors connected to the PC parallel port for pan&tilt. Of course, the software i've used was palantir, with some small modifications. I defined some functions in video.c for controlling the parallel port of the pc for turning the floppy motors (stepper motors). Would be possible to do this on wl-500g? And if yes, how? What software do i need?
I'm stuck at compiling that thing for the broadcom chip and controlling the parallel port of the wl-500g (the essential things :()
Any ideas?

Here you have the modified source of the video.c and main.c (only port init there) for the pc. You'll notice the functions there. Also there is p.conf, where the "controls" are defined. You'll need the modified pclient.exe for this to work as expected.

WlanMan
15-04-2005, 15:26
Ok, glad to find out someone actually played with palantir on wl-500g. I want to make a controllable webcam for the wl-500g. I've built one and i used 2 floppy motors connected to the PC parallel port for pan&tilt. Of course, the software i've used was palantir, with some small modifications.
Hi

This sounds nice, i will look into and see what youīve done.
The WL500g LPT port is, from my view, as usable as on a pc system from a userland view.
Of course, you can already use a pan&tilt capable logitech cam with palantir.

Also, with next palantir version i will make an ipkg package and maybe a configuration plugin for the nen php config system.

Greets to all Palanteers ;)
(How it using this, please show you *g*)

KillerOPS
18-04-2005, 10:42
How can I control the parallel port of the wl-500g? If i know how to send a "3" or a "0" to the LPT-s data lines, i will make palantir work with the webcam. This is my problem. Any ideas? An example maybe?

Thanks

WlanMan
18-04-2005, 21:58
How can I control the parallel port of the wl-500g? If i know how to send a "3" or a "0" to the LPT-s data lines, i will make palantir work with the webcam. This is my problem. Any ideas? An example maybe?

Just use the usual parport library calls as under x86 linux??
Sorry, dont know further atm...

What a hardware do you use for the controlling, ULN2003 darlinton drivers ?
Why do you use a new client, and dont combine it with the pan-tilt code for the logitech cams ?

Greets

KillerOPS
19-04-2005, 15:36
Just use the usual parport library calls as under x86 linux??
Sorry, dont know further atm...

ok, i'll try

What a hardware do you use for the controlling, ULN2003 darlinton drivers ?

well, i don't use uln2003. I'm using two complete floppy boards and the head stepper motors: one for horizontal rotation and another for the vertical angle. That thing can be controlled by 2 wires: the first one signals the direction of the motor (5v - left, 0v-right) and the other wire is the "clock", so yhen i put an 5v there the motor will make a step in the direction designated by the other wire.
Two of them and we have a good positioning system.

Why do you use a new client, and dont combine it with the pan-tilt code for the logitech cams ?

because the steps are no necessary the same. You can turn around the camera several times (if the cable is long enough) so you can't use a trackbar. It's better to use 4 buttons (for the direction) or 2 trackbars that come automatically back to center position after making the desired steps (this is what i've done)

KillerOPS
23-04-2005, 11:13
Here i am at a dead end. I don't have any simple example on how i can control the parallel port of that thing.
Anyone has a simple working example, please?
Thank you

Muffe
17-05-2005, 20:20
For 2.:

I haven't so much experience with my WL-500g, so I hope that you (or somebody else who knows) will help me by answer a few questions. I have extracted the data from the data.tar.gz file, and they are now stored on my desktop computer running linux. How do I get them into my asus WL-500g box, and will I be able to get pictures in 640x480 using the standard webcam interfase provided by Asus? If I can't, how can i capture pictures in 640x480? I only need still pictures, not video/audio stream. I use Oleg's 1.9.2.7-5a firmware.

KillerOPS
18-05-2005, 15:11
look here on how to control the parallel port of that thing. The only problem is that it isn't working with oleg's firmware (not sure which one) because you can't remove the lp.o module without crashing the router. However, on OpenWrt works quite good.
Maybe a patch from oleg?

Anyway, here is the link:
http://www.sephail.net/projects/openwrt/

Oleg, could you provide me with the modules for the webcam? (ovxxxx.o, videodev.o etc). I'm trying to use them on openwrt and in combination with palantir
Thank you

sir_lunatic
09-06-2005, 04:02
I used Toms pwc/pwcx driver from earlier in this post with palantir using my Logitech Orbit.

It does allow to capture the higher resolutions, however it breaks the pan and tilt feature.

Starting palantir with Tom's drivers loaded, it states:

Jun 8 22:52:33 [video] Camera has no pan/tilt control

and when accessing the pan and tilt from the palantir java client i get the following from palantir's logs:

Jun 8 22:53:19 [video] PWCMPTSANGLE: Invalid argument

however all is well using the v8 pwc driver but lacking the higher resoltuions

thinking an option was excluded when he compiled his version.

jseabra
13-07-2005, 21:08
Hi ppl

Take a look at this thread: -> http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=2846

FilimoniC
16-08-2005, 14:23
OffTopic:
I didn't understand...
What can be source for this soft?
Can it be my WebCamera? VideoCamera?

WlanMan
19-08-2005, 06:38
Yep

With this Software you can get a video Stream from your Webcam instead of still pictures, of course if itīs a camera suported by the drivers of the firmware (philips an OV51x Chipsets).

Greets

FilimoniC
19-08-2005, 07:48
Yep

With this Software you can get a video Stream from your Webcam instead of still pictures, of course if itīs a camera suported by the drivers of the firmware (philips an OV51x Chipsets).

Greets
thx.
And can i make thomething like Nullsoft ShoutCast Server (no video) with it?

WlanMan
28-08-2005, 22:57
thx.
And can i make thomething like Nullsoft ShoutCast Server (no video) with it?
Nop, you would need something like icecast or some other mp3 straming server on the router, which is not precompiled avaliable till i know. Had tried it, but project is fallen asleep :).

Greets

skanker
01-09-2005, 00:22
Any chance you could upload firmware which includes palantir

WlanMan
01-09-2005, 19:35
I am in the way with building a firmware mod with fits my needs, this may contain palantir. We will see ...
Until now, installing on the usb flash disk is a quite simple task ...

Greets

soe
08-06-2006, 12:11
Hello,

Using firmware Version: 1.9.2.7-7c (OLEG) on my wl500g I cannot perform "change directory" in order to run Palantir refering to this scenario :
" Decompress palantir.zip to the root of an external flashdisk or harddisk ,
cd to /tmp/harddisk/palantir/bin , there you can start it with ./palantir "

To start with, my usb-drive, containing the palantir directories, seems to mount correctly :
syslog is showing
Jun 8 10:58:57 USB storage: vfat fs mounted to /tmp/harddisk
Via list cmd I can see the palantir files on the usb disk using the complete path :
ls /tmp/harddisk/palantir/bin
palantir
sysfeed
The usb cam (disabled in usb appl) is being attached properly as well :
Jun 8 10:59:57 USB webcam: attached

Following chdir cmd however gives no error msg, not any output either :
chdir /tmp/harddisk/palantir/bin
?? nothing ??
ls cmds still are presenting file listing of the default directory :
Advanced_ACL_Content.asp
Advanced_APLAN_Content.asp
Advanced_APWAN_Content.asp
etc.
pwd
/www

Without performing a valid chdir I can start palantir using the complete path but of course it

fails to initialize correctly :
/tmp/harddisk/palantir/bin/palantir.
[main] -- palantir 2.5.5-Mips starting --
[main] Definitions for 1 devices found
[main] No serial port specified
[main] No named pipe specified
[video] ** Fatal error: Cannot open video device /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory

May the following msgs have to do with my failing chdir cmds? Or am I just too stupid to operate a Linux system?
syslog display
Jan 1 01:00:24 kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Jan 1 01:00:24 kernel: 08:01: rw=0, want=2, limit=1
Jan 1 01:00:24 kernel: EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
Jan 1 01:00:24 kernel: MSDOS FS: Using codepage 950
Jan 1 01:00:24 kernel: MSDOS FS: IO charset cp950
Jan 1 01:00:24 kernel: FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
Jan 1 01:00:24 kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 08:01.
Jan 1 01:00:24 kernel: FAT: freeing iocharset=cp950
Jan 1 01:00:24 kernel: FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
Jan 1 01:00:24 kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 08:01.
Jun 8 10:58:57 kernel: VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sd(8,5).
Jun 8 10:58:57 kernel: MSDOS FS: Using codepage 950
Jun 8 10:58:57 kernel: MSDOS FS: IO charset cp950
Jun 8 10:58:57 USB storage: vfat fs mounted to /tmp/harddisk

Thanks for offering me some help! Regards, Paul,

Tom
01-10-2006, 12:32
There is an update of the webcam drivers to support kernel 2.4.30. I changed version number to 0.2 and tested it with an Asus WL-500g Premium so far. Also the software motion was compiled and should run under most firmware likes olegs and my personal favourite openWrt.

Checks were done with openwrt rc5 and asus wl500gp

dyonisos
17-10-2007, 22:50
Is anyone successful in operating the palantir server software on Asus wl-500gP with 3 or more webcams? Any interesting comments/experiences/config-setups are welcome.