PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Only want to use the WL-500G !?

Bernd0709
20-12-2004, 23:12
Hi, I bought a WL-500G and read in this forum. But I don't know what I should do.
My Firmware (1.6.5.3) is old :( but it works. (Routing and W-Lan)
I know I had to update the Firmware (I have read the instructions it should be no problem) but I don't know to what version?
I want to use the following features:
Connect a HP Deskjet 970 CXi (USB or Parallel-Port?)
Connect an external Drive (3,5" USB Drive)
Connect 3 PC's via Lan
Connect 1 Laptop via WLan (ASUS WL-100G) with max. TX-Power.

I hope you may help me to find a stable version for this features.

Thanks a lot!!
Bernd

brubber
21-12-2004, 02:09
You can do all of this with 1.6.5.3 if your hardware (printer / external) drive is compatible

Styno
21-12-2004, 08:20
As allways: If there's no need for you to upgrade (When everything you need works fine), don't upgrade. Simple.

Otherwise try 1.7.5.9 CR5 http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=746 This is just a very good balanced firmware.

The newer firmwares (1.8.x.x and up) are all based on a new source tree(s), there are allways problems with that so wait before the newer firmwares until they are a bit more matured.

Bernd0709
21-12-2004, 14:18
Hallo again, thanks for your answers!!
But I will specify exactlier:
I want to use the 3,5" extern drive like a network drive within my lan/w-lan in a windows xp environment. I think I have to use samba to habe the networkdrive on the win xp desktops :confused:

The other think is the connection with my printer hp 970cxi. I don't know if I should connect it with usb via a usb-hub (because one usb-port should the harddisk use) or via parallel port??

And it what is about the adjustment of the w-lan connection power?

Is your recommended Version (1.7.5.9 CR5) ok for all theese features?

Is there thomething special I have to consider?

Thanks a lot for answers!!

Excuse my very basically english :)

Bernd

Styno
21-12-2004, 14:48
Hallo again, thanks for your answers!!
But I will specify exactlier:
I want to use the 3,5" extern drive like a network drive within my lan/w-lan in a windows xp environment. I think I have to use samba to habe the networkdrive on the win xp desktops :confused: Yes. Samba is the first (best) choice for that.

The other think is the connection with my printer hp 970cxi. I don't know if I should connect it with usb via a usb-hub (because one usb-port should the harddisk use) or via parallel port??Depends. Some printers work only with WL-500g on parallel, some only on USB and some both. See the reported compatible hardware (http://wl500g.info/forumdisplay.php?f=24) section for your printer. If your printer works fine on the parallel port I would use that. Otherwise an USB hub will do fine too. You can connect a HDD and printer and webcam all at the same time on the router. Webcam requires a lot of bandwith though...

And it what is about the adjustment of the w-lan connection power?You will probably don't need to fiddle with that. For most users the default setting for Tx power is sufficient.

Is your recommended Version (1.7.5.9 CR5) ok for all theese features?Yes. I would say its the best choice for you.

Is there thomething special I have to consider? Thats the difficult question :cool: I have no idea of you knowledge and/or problems you might encounter... Try and see what happens. Good luck.

Bernd0709
21-12-2004, 14:55
Thanks for the very, very quick answer!!

If I have updated the firmware, is the webinterface for the configuration available or have I learn the handling of linux first :confused:

If the webinterface is available: All new feartures can configured via the webinterface?

If not: How can I configure the whole wl-500g?

Bye...
Bernd

Phantome
21-12-2004, 17:22
The only thing without a webinterface is the samba part.
(not sure if you have to make a partition on the usb drive with ext2/3 filsystem or not)
Anyway, by searching this forum i think you will find what you need about these parts.

Styno
21-12-2004, 18:20
Samba isn't a feature supplied by Asus, its BETA stuff from Oleg. You will have to setup some things yourself. Search the forum and the WIKI page, that should get you up to speed.

I'm sorry to inform you that some Linux knowledge is needed/handy...

Bernd0709
21-12-2004, 20:56
Hallo,
after so much information it is time to try it out.
I will post again after updating the firmware. (If I could, may be I have no Internet Connection ) :mad:

If someone has something to say about the update please do it now....

Bye ...
Bernd

Bernd0709
27-12-2004, 22:04
Hallo,
after so much information it is time to try it out.
I will post again after updating the firmware. (If I could, may be I have no Internet Connection ) :mad:

If someone has something to say about the update please do it now....

Bye ...
Bernd

1. FW - Update without problems!
2. ISP Parameters are stored. No problems to connect to internet.
3. WLAN works propper
4. FPT-Connection to USB-Stick works fine
5. Printer doesn't work
6. Samba is not checked now

Who knows the right parameters for using the HP Deskjet 970CXI on parallel port.
I have read nearly the whole forum, specially the post from today about the 990CXi. I couldn`t find the right parameter. My Status & Log - Status on WL-500G has the HP printer founded and displays 'online'.

Thanks for answers!!!
Bernd

brubber
28-12-2004, 00:21
5. Printer doesn't work
If the status page says "printer online" you 'll probably just need to change the printer(port) configuration on your computer. There's a lot of posts about that in this forum.

Styno
28-12-2004, 14:39
RAW printing port:

if you're using firmware 1.7.x.x
USB = 9101
LPT = 9100

if you're using firmware 1.8.x.x and higher:
USB = 9100
LPT = 9101

I've never used LPR method from Asus....