PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : openvpn in firmware?

yilias
20-12-2004, 20:28
Hello all,

I used to have a Linux server that supplied me with a vpn tunnel via openvpn. Now my server died yesterday and i'm tunnelless... :(

Is it possible to intergrate openvpn in to the asus wl500g device? In my view the program is not that big and runs well on slow machines. The site of open vpn sais the following:

OpenVPN is fast. Running Redhat 7.2 on a Pentium II 266mhz machine, using TLS-based session authentication, the Blowfish cipher, SHA1 authentication for the tunnel data, and tunneling an FTP session with large, precompressed files, OpenVPN achieved a send/receive transfer rate of 1.455 megabytes per second of CPU time (combined kernel and user time).

Does anybody know if this is possible, or does anybody have an opinion about this?

The open vpn site is: http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/

Oleg
20-12-2004, 20:37
Look for openwrt, they've prebuild packages.
As for wl500g firmware - opnvpn, requires openssl which is too large to be added.
Alternaitvely, you can bot wl500g from usb flash or drive and add whatever you like.

yilias
20-12-2004, 20:44
Look for openwrt, they've prebuild packages.
As for wl500g firmware - opnvpn, requires openssl which is too large to be added.
Alternaitvely, you can bot wl500g from usb flash or drive and add whatever you like.
Jes you are right i forgot about that silly me. Opensll is indeed a bit bloated for the wl500g... maybe an external packages on a usb stick will be the solution.. I will look into it.

Tnx Oleg

Dante_
20-12-2004, 23:57
You are allways with the too large problem.. how about the people with cheap usb flash disks or external HDD? You could build all the stuff as an add-on to put on an USB flash disk ou HDD...
User friendly...

Oleg
21-12-2004, 08:46
You could build all the stuff as an add-on to put on an USB flash disk ou HDD...
Ok, go ahead and start compiling packages... I've no enough time to cross compile everything - this not so simple as it seems to be. I could not just bring binaries to you, because this violates GPL, so I need to make build system to be able to compile this add-ons...
Also, I'm always suggesting using openwrt, which already has number of packages precompiled. And openwrt packages are compiled by many guys, not one person.

Rob ter Veer
21-12-2004, 08:55
Oleg, I've set up a build environment for the latest custom firmware. Downloaded GPL_1927.zip and untargzipped this file. Set the path's so compiler and linker can be found and made a softlink from /opt/brcm -> /devel/broadcom/opt/brcm.

I thought compiling should be possible now, but something still seems to be off.. I cannot figure out what to do to get past this error:

....../mipsel-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lnetconf

What's wrong? I'm trying to setup a build environment to compile some stuff myself.

engy
21-12-2004, 09:39
Hello. Try to compile missing netconf first. Type "make netconf".

Oleg
21-12-2004, 11:26
Oleg, I've set up a build environment for the latest custom firmware. Downloaded GPL_1927.zip and untargzipped this file. Set the path's so compiler and linker can be found and made a softlink from /opt/brcm -> /devel/broadcom/opt/brcm.

I thought compiling should be possible now, but something still seems to be off.. I cannot figure out what to do to get past this error:

....../mipsel-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lnetconf

What's wrong? I'm trying to setup a build environment to compile some stuff myself.
Asus sources are very crappy in recompiling. I've tried to fix most of problems with recompiling, but this additionaly requires using my source package, please read the recompile section at wl500g.dyndns.org

Dante_
21-12-2004, 14:45
Ok, go ahead and start compiling packages... I've no enough time to cross compile everything - this not so simple as it seems to be. I could not just bring binaries to you, because this violates GPL, so I need to make build system to be able to compile this add-ons...
Also, I'm always suggesting using openwrt, which already has number of packages precompiled. And openwrt packages are compiled by many guys, not one person.

If openWRT could support USB I could try it... Also, if it doesn't support USB, doesn't support the external HDD, and then we are limted to the flash space too... We're fucked up in all ways.. :|
Any news or "how-to" about running debian for mips on WL500g with an USB hdd?

Rob ter Veer
24-12-2004, 13:13
This is what I had to do to make a clean compile of the ASUS firmware:

# ln -s /devel/broadcom/opt/brcm /opt/brcm

# cd /devel/broadcom/src/router
# make netconf
# cd /devel/broadcom/src/router/ov51x
# vi config.mk
LINUX_SRC=/devel/broadcom/src/linux/linux
TARGET_MODDIR=/devel/broadcom/src/router/rt2460

# cd /devel/broadcom/src/linux/linux
# make dep; make vmlinux; make modules

# vi /devel/broadcom/src/router/iproute2/Makefile
KERNEL_INCLUDE=/devel/broadcom/src/router/iproute2/reference

# vi /devel/broadcom/src/router/Makefile (Line 183)
../../tools/trx -o $(PLATFORMDIR)/linux.trx $(PLATFORMDIR)/vmlinuz $(PLATFORMDIR)/target.cramfs ; \

# cd /devel/broadcom/src
# make