PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Wireless connection losses

boemboem
17-12-2004, 13:18
I've bought the WL-500G router a month or so ago... it worked very well for me, no problems at all with the wireless connection...

until I upgraded the firmware to the newest version available on the asus website (1.9.2.7). Since then I'm dealing with lots of "connection dies" on the wireless connection of the router... It will work for a while but then it suddenly falls death and I need to reset the router before it will give a new wireless connection... I've tried to downgrade the firmware to the original firmware (1.8.1.7 of 1.8.1.9) but I'm still dealing with the same wireless dies...

I've tried to reset the settings to factory defaults (trough the web-interface and trough the restore button on the router itself) but I'm still dealing with this problem... who can give me some help, because it isn't too good having to reset the router every half an hour...

Edit: now the problem is changed a little bit... when connection falls down (it goes from 48Mbps to 24, to 6, to 2, to 1) it comes back after about a minute and the connection is back again, full speed... strange... anyone?

ratta_plan
17-12-2004, 15:24
I experience the same problems. Upgraded to the newest version, had connection problems, downgraded, and the problems stayed.

When using the built-in wirelessnetworkmanager of windows XP, the connection is lost and not restored until I manually repair it.

Then I decided to install the drivers&utility provided by Intel (The networkcard is a 2200BG), which does not lose connection, but drops the speed back to 1 mbit (Throughput almost dies, and transmission errors occur) , to gain speed again later. Happens every 5 minutes or so...

boemboem
17-12-2004, 15:59
I'm using windows xp sp2 and the connection comes back automatically, even trough windows connection manager... but it is strange... when it happens, the connection speed goes around from about 1Mbps to 24Mbps (up and down)

brubber
17-12-2004, 20:20
perhaps this is the problem?

Note1: Using this firmware on WL500g, the range of wireless transmission will be shortened because of the power of tx is lower.Try to change location of your wl-500g or change the antenna direction, or perhaps you can still increase the transmission power http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=12&highlight=transmission+power.

Try a few values and use a the asus utility or another tool to measure signal strength and stability at your workstation

boemboem
18-12-2004, 01:25
the problem isn't that it doesn't work... it falls down too often...

when the transmission power would be it, i'd get a "low signal" message in windows XP, but the wireless lan says "24Mbps good power", or "48Mbps low power"... (easily translated)... it said the same thing when it worked all fine so it isn't the problem I guess

boemboem
21-12-2004, 17:22
a strange addition...

because I'm busy for school I use my laptop (with an edimax 11b PC Card) and have Remote Desktop for my other PC (which i use normally, and on which the connection losses happen) i noticed something:

1) the laptop's connection is never broken (ok, is far near by than the PC (I guess my laptop is about 4 meters (open field) away from laptop and my PC is 2 floors up in the house (of from "beton" (cement) and one from wood.

2) the connection of the PC is far more better when I'm sitting downstairs (and looking at my PC from my laptop) than it is when I'm sitting behind the PC... the connection loss is very often when i'm not sitting behind the PC but it jumps up and down (the speed) when I'm sitting behind it...

the strange thing is that this wasn't the case when I used the stock supplied firmware...

i hope someone can come up with a sollution

wiz
21-12-2004, 18:55
Hmmz, I had some wireless losses as well, even while there is only 1 metre between ap and my laptop.

What I did:

Put the wan interface to a fixed rate (100mbps full duplex, since the modem supports it). Could have set it any less high, adsl will never reach that speed but what the heck :D. This was mainly done because I lost internet connection a few times.

Furthermore, I set the accesspoint to a different channel than "auto", mine is now on channel 5. Now I am still pumping data from my desktop through the wire up to my 2 wireless laptops, and they both haven't been disconnected for 2 hrs now.

Maybe someone else in your neighborhood has a wireless too, and if the access point defaults to a channel, most likely they will select channel 1. Could be you get interference, so my advice would be try to fiddle with the channels and set it to something else than auto.

Be adviced, once you selected a different channel from the web interface, I had to do a reboot from the command line in order to get wireless back up, so make sure you reboot the access point.

I however use olegs 1.8.1.7-3, but my wireless clients got disconnects as well, as they are stable now.

Hope this helps.

MAV
24-12-2004, 18:05
And I have the same problems

Pito
26-12-2004, 05:46
After the upgrade to the last firmware release, I lost the connection more than one time in a day! It doesn’t happening with the 1.8.X.X version, in the worst case, I lost the connection one time in a week. All the wireless equipment are from Asus (WL-138G PCI adapter and WL-100g WLAN Cardbus Card). I already try to get close the Wl-500g with the wireless computers but the problem still exists. Anyone solved the problem?
Many regards,

MAV
26-12-2004, 17:00
Go to http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=WL-500g&Type=Latest
in firmware_1927.zip press MORE and read:
1. Add: Wireless Speaker.
2. Add: WMM/WPA2 Support.
3. Add: Bandwidth Management
4. Add: MAC Filter for LAN and WLAN
5. Add: Local port for Virtual Server
4. Fix: monitor for WAN Die and Web Cam die

:mad:
Note1: Using this firmware on WL500g, the range of wireless transmission will be shortened because of the power of tx is lower.
:eek:

Note2: The Wireless speaker support aiff, asf, asx, au, avi, dat, mp3, mpeg, wav, wma, wmv and DO NOT support mid

I return to 1.8.1.7-3 and Life gonna better :p

Pito
26-12-2004, 21:58
Good night MAV
I made the downgrade and everything its ok now.
Maybe the future versions of Oleg firmware releases fix the low power transmission.
See U