PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : WDS WPA-TKIP how-to

benet
26-01-2008, 09:57
Hi all,
I am sorry that I am sending the next how-to to enable the WDS using our devices but anything
published how-to at these pages does not work for me...

so:
used devices:
- WL500g-deluxe, firmware 1.9.2.7-8 (AP-main)
- WL500g-premium, firmware 1.9.2.7-8 (AP2-bridge)

*AP-main* is connected through the ethernet wire to the 5.4 wifi to the internet. Is placed in my work-room.
*AP-bridge* is connected through the wire only to the power. Is placed in the hall (around 20 metres through
the walls) and provides the internet access from the garden and does the bridge access to the IP camera (which
looks at my dog-kennel)
I used the 'premium' version as the bridge because of I need to connect the external USB harddisk to it and run
it all the time with torrent client + web camera + uPnP and if the harddrive does a noise in the hall - I do
not hear it so much as when it does a noise 0,5m far from me :-)

1. connect the AP-main to the power and through the ethernet line to the PC
2. setup the standart connection to the internet (IP, mask, gateway...)
3. set the IP address for the local network. I used 192.168.1.1
4. set that this machine will be DHCP server and set any range (I used 192.168.1.10-254)
5. restart and check this connection.

6. using any browser connect to the IP 192.168.1.1
7. login
8. go to the 'System setup' and check if the router is set to the 'Home gateway' mode (it already is :-) )
9. go to the 'Wireless' -> 'Interface'
10. set the SSID (I used 'lesni215a')
11. set the channel (I used '7')
12. set the wireless Mode to 'Auto'
13. set the Authentication Method to 'WPA-PSK'
14. set the WPA Encryption to 'TKIP'
15. set the WPA Pre shared key (I used 10 characters - letters and numbers)
16. set the WEP encryption to 'None'
17. set the Passphrase to ''
18. click 'Apply' & 'Finish
19. from any wifi client try to connect to the router. If it not working, check if the wifi client does not
uses static IP/DNS ... I know that it cannot have any standing... but it has :-D
20. if it works fine now (it could, these parts are tested by a lot of customers :-) ), lets go to the next pat...

21. connect to the AP-main using browser
22. go to the 'Wireless'->'Bridge'
23. set the AP Mode to 'Hybrid'
24. set the channel (probably already set)
25. set the 'Connect to APs Remote Bridge List' - 'Yes'
26. set the 'Allow anonymous' to 'No'
27. in the Remote Bridge List fill the MAC address of the 'AP2-bridge' (telnet to the AP2-bridge and enter the command 'ifconfig')
28. click 'Apply' (No finish!)
29. go to the 'Access Control'
30. set 'MAC Access Mode' to 'Disable'
31. click 'Apply' (No finish!)
32. click the 'Advanced' and check this settings (I let the default ones there):
enable afterburner - disabled
hide ssid - no
set ap isolated - no
data rate - auto
multicast ra - auto
basic rate set - default
fragment - 2346
RTS tres - 2347
.. 1, 100, disabled, AP or WDS, Yes, 'all dayes', '00:00-23:59', 17, disabled, disabled

33. click 'Aply' & 'finish', restart the AP-main
34. check from the wifi client that you still have connection to the internet through the AP-main

35. lets the fun begin :-)
36. connect the computer through the ethernet wire to the AP-bridge (it will probably has
the address 192.168.1.1 - so tak care that you are connected to the right AP - is better to
off the wifi adapter and disconnects any wires to the AP-main)
37. go to the 'System setup' -> 'Operation Mode' and set it to the 'Access Point'. Apply.
38. go to the IP Config->LAN
39. set 'Get IP automatically' -> 'No'
40. set 'IP address' to some next value (I used 192.168.1.5)
41. set the correct mask (probably 255.255.255.0)
42. set the gateway to '192.168.1.1' (AP-main)
43. set the DNS server to '192.168.1.1' (AP-main)
44. click 'Apply'
45. go to the 'Wireless'
46. set SSID to the SAME value as AP-main has (so in my case - 'lesni215a')
47. set the channel to the SAME value as AP-main has (in my case '7')
48. set the Wireless mode to 'Auto'
49. set the Authentication method to 'WPA-PSK'
50. set the WPA encryption to 'TKIP'
51. set the WPA pre-shared key to the SAME key as AP-main has
52. set the WEP Encryption to 'None'
53. clear the Passphrase
54. click 'Apply'
55. go to the 'Wireless'->'Bridge'
56. set AP Mode 'Hybrid'
57. set Channel to the same value as AP-main has
58. set 'Connect to APs in Remote b. list' to 'YES'
59. set 'Allow anonymous' to 'No'
60. fill in the remote bridge list the MAC address of the AP-main (telnet to AP-main, enter 'ifconfig' and
look for mac address of vlan0)
61. click 'Apply'
62. go to the 'Wireless' -> 'Access Control'
63. set the MAC Access Mode to 'Disable'
64. go to the 'Wireless' -> 'Advanced'
65. check that all settings are the same as AP-main has set (it is the default ones)
66. click 'Apply' & 'Finish', restart the AP-bridge
67. in my case it works fine now :-) - I hope that it works for you too. If not, I am sorry for another not-universal how-to

c007c
26-02-2008, 23:16
I'm trying to connect a WL-500gp running Oleg 1.9.2.7-8 with to a WHR-G125 AP running Tomato 1_16_ND with WDS. The AP is running wireless AP + WDS, I'm having no luck. Can somebody tell me the steps I need to do to accomplish this in Oleg?

I am experienced with DD-WRT and Tomato, which works. I'm new to Oleg, so I'm sure its me being unfamiliar with the Oleg steps for WDS. I am attempting to configure the GP wirelessly as a file/print server for the LAN...

vimaugli
28-03-2008, 07:38
Hi!

There is a free wireless hot spot near my flat. I can connect to this with my laptop (but only from my window :) ).
I tried to connect to it with my Wl500gP:
Have Oleg's fw installed in ASUS.
System Setup | Operation Mode - Home Gateway
Wireless | Interface > The hotspot's SSID set
Wireless | Bridge > AP Mode - WDS Only
Wireless | Advanced > Extended Mode - Station (I also tried with Ethernet Bridge)

The ASUS can connect to the hot spot.
In Status mentioned: Connected to **** (SSID) and its MAC also mentioned.

The problem is that when I connect the laptop to the ASUS via LAN cable I can't go out to the internet from the laptop. I'm not sure what can be the problem. Could anybody help me?

Thnx

Voskuil
15-05-2008, 15:31
Hi,

Does anybody know if it is possible in Hybrid WDS mode to use the ethernet HUB of the remote slave device (bridged unit). I want to connect to my network throught the ethernet HUB of the WDS slave device. I tried it, but it does not work.:confused:

Wireless bridging with the WL500GP works reasonably well, although after a while the slave unit becomes unresponsive and needs to be reset, but I can live with that.:o

I am using Oleg's firmware:1.9.2.7-7g (on both units of course)

Thanks,
Marc

kjetil
12-07-2008, 21:22
I have 2 x WL500gP. Tried to connect them in WDS (hybrid) mode today. Tried 1.9.2.7-7f but no luck.
Tried the 7g, but still no luck.
Tried 1.9.2.8-10, again still no luck.

Tried 1.9.7.7 from asus. worked in a way, but not when I moved them further apart.

Anyone using WDS with 2 x 500gP, and on which firmware?

casagrande2407
17-07-2008, 09:39
Hi Kjetil,

I have the same config as you (2x wl500gp) and want to set up a WDS. It is driving me mad. I am a newbee and have been searching around for quite a while and found out that there are a number of options. It should work simply be configuring your 2nd router as access point (Operation mode in System setup menu). Some people seem to have success. I have also tried your config, by mentioning each others MAC address in Remote Bridge list.

I have got it to work but it was so damn unstable that I grew crazy. The reason I chose for the wl500gp is its 2 USB ports, but I am very disappointed with the instable WDS. My final solution is to make a cable connection through the LAN ports and disable DHCP on the 2nd router (that should act as AP). But of course this is not WDS.

I also have tried Asus and Oleg firmware but found no difference in behaviour.

Hope you're not too disappointed with my reply.... :cool:

RNunes
22-09-2008, 12:45
Hi folks,
I'll really appreciate anyone who can help me solving the following problem:

- I've been trying to setup a WDS with a ASUS WL-500g and WL-500gpV2, without getting any success till now.

Technical Topology:

(Internet) <--> WL-500gp V2 (Hybrid) <--> WL-500g (WDS)

The only progress I've made until now was put WDS working but without any security (network open for overall public). Thus, when I try to implement WPA - PSK the WDS stops working, making the 2 routers unable to connect each other.

Does anyone have experienced this before ? Do you have any tip to solve it ?

eemdz
09-11-2008, 11:02
WDS with WAP-PSK is currently not possible. It is a known limitation of WDS. WDS with WEP is possible.

EdP
29-12-2008, 20:45
A little late perhaps, but is that really true?
My WL-500gx is successfully doing WDS with an SMC 7904WBRA and they're both WPA-PSK only. It may be different for WL-500g and WL-500gP, I wouldn't know.

jani
30-12-2008, 10:03
A little late perhaps, but is that really true?
My WL-500gx is successfully doing WDS with an SMC 7904WBRA and they're both WPA-PSK only. It may be different for WL-500g and WL-500gP, I wouldn't know.

Maybe because one of them is SMC?

My WDS between Asus WL500g and second WL500g works only with WEP encryption, both with 1.9.2.7-7g Oleg fw.

EdP
30-12-2008, 11:09
Well, to be honest, I'm still using the Asus firmware (just bought it days ago). I'm not quite sure on the WDS thing, I've set it up as a Hybrid WDS and they are connected by utp, so it serves my purpose: perfect wireless coverage throughout the house with WPA-PSK. In that sense it may not be truly acting as a wireless bridge. In the SMC I do see Asus' MAC address in the WDS section, so I'm not sure.

At first I set it up as an Access Point only and wasn't able to get wireless reception and I was no longer able to access the Asus' web interface (not even a ping reply) so I reset it and put it in WDS Hybrid mode.

If I should feel brave :D the next couple of days I might give Oleg's a try and see what happens. WEP would be a downer for me. Not that my neighbours are bad guys or anything, I just like to feel secure.

bpivk
14-02-2009, 21:26
Hy
I have a problem with bridging my two asus routers.
Both routers are the same model and both have the same settings and mac adresses of each other. Should i disable DHCP on one or is there something i'm missing because i can't get them to bond.

Thanks for the help

darius
14-02-2009, 23:09
Hy
I have a problem with bridging my two asus routers.
Both routers are the same model and both have the same settings and mac adresses of each other. Should i disable DHCP on one or is there something i'm missing because i can't get them to bond.

Thanks for the help

what about WDS wifi bridging ?

Darius

bpivk
15-02-2009, 11:04
Well I tryed hybrid bridging but it didn't work?
Do i put both on hybrid mode or do i put one in ap mode and the other in hybrid or wds mode.

KGy
15-02-2009, 11:44
Well I tryed hybrid bridging but it didn't work?
Do i put both on hybrid mode or do i put one in ap mode and the other in hybrid or wds mode.

Hi!

Sorry my English.

I use 3 wl500g/gp in WDS mode (1 wl500g + 1 wl500gp + 1 wl500gpv2 (but this is too slowly, poor)).

The 500g is main (and share net). The settings:
- system/operation mode/home gateway (only main router)
- wireless/interface/ssid : wlhome (in all router !!!)
- wireless/interface/channel: 1 (in all router !!!)
- wireless/interface/auth methon: wpa-psk (in all router)
- wireless/interface/wpa encryption: tkip (in all router)
- wireless/interface/wpa pre shared key: xxxxxxxxx (in all router)
- wireless/bridge/ap mode : hybrid (in all router)
- wireless/bridge/channel: 1 (in all router)
- wireless/bridge/connect ap in rem. bridge: yes (in all router)
- wireless/bridge/allow anonymous: no (in all router)
- wireless/bridge/remote bridge list: <add all other router MAC addr>
- wireless/access control/mac addr mode: allow
- wireless/access control/access control list: <add all client and router mac addr>
- wireless/advanced/hide ssid: yes
- wireless/advanced/set ap isolated: no
- wireless/advanced/extended mode: ap or wds
- ip config/wan & lan/name: <your router name, my: MYROUTER >
- ip config/wan & lan/ip: <your ip 1, my: 192.168.0.254 >
- ip config/wan & lan/maszk: 255.255.255.0
- ip config/dhcp/enable dhcp srv: yes
- ip config/route/use dhcp routes: yes

Router 2 setting:
- system/operation mode/access point (in all client router)
- wireless/interface/ssid : wlhome (in all router !!!)
- wireless/interface/channel: 1 (in all router !!!)
- wireless/interface/auth methon: wpa-psk (in all router)
- wireless/interface/wpa encryption: tkip (in all router)
- wireless/interface/wpa pre shared key: xxxxxxxxx (in all router)
- wireless/bridge/ap mode : hybrid (in all router)
- wireless/bridge/channel: 1 (in all router)
- wireless/bridge/connect ap in rem. bridge: yes (in all router)
- wireless/bridge/allow anonymous: no (in all router)
- wireless/bridge/remote bridge list: <add all other router MAC addr>
- wireless/access control/mac addr mode: allow
- wireless/access control/access control list: <add all client and router mac addr>
- wireless/advanced/hide ssid: yes
- wireless/advanced/set ap isolated: no
- wireless/advanced/extended mode: ap or wds
- ip config/lan/name: <your 2nd(, 3rd, etc) router name, my: MYROUTER2, MYROUTER3 >
- ip config/lan/ip: <your ip 2(,3,etc), my: 192.168.0.253, .252 >
- ip config/lan/maszk: 255.255.255.0
- ip config/lan/def gateway: <your main router ip, my: 192.168.0.254>
- ip config/lan/dns server: <your main router ip, my: 192.168.0.254>

In all my router the wlan txt power to set max value (84).
You can get connected wlan's mac addr with "wl autho_sta_list" command ( connected only).
And I share net my neighboors and I use 802.b (11MBit/s) only. In 802.g (54MBit/s) the signal is very poor (with asus built in antenna).

Bye,
George

bpivk
15-02-2009, 15:06
I have tryed the same settings with a difference.
I use chanel 10.
I don't use MAC filtering.
I havent set my other router to AP but I did disable DHCP server.

Endrew
26-03-2009, 05:21
Hello folks,

i've spent much time to read forums and articles but i'm still not sure whether this router is able (in the hardware) to act as a client to a "host" AP and in the same time act as a "secondary" AP to expand or repeat "host" AP's wireless. I don't want to use WDS since i don't have access to "host" AP and at the moment i really don't see any benefit of using it.

Examples and tutorials describes that one can do this with linksys WRT54G routers and with DD-WRT firmware (v24):
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
And i found an article at openwrt.org with WRT54G (see first point):
http://wiki.openwrt.org/Repeater

Some says that the broadcom chip has two wifi interfaces and therefore it can act as client and AP in the same time. All broadcom chips can do this???? Who knows that?
Has anyone ever tried it with this ASUS? If yes, with which type of firmware and which type of HW version? :confused:

Thanks the answers in advance!

darius
26-03-2009, 13:01
Hello folks,

i've spent much time to read forums and articles but i'm still not sure whether this router is able (in the hardware) to act as a client to a "host" AP and in the same time act as a "secondary" AP to expand or repeat "host" AP's wireless. I don't want to use WDS since i don't have access to "host" AP and at the moment i really don't see any benefit of using it.

Examples and tutorials describes that one can do this with linksys WRT54G routers and with DD-WRT firmware (v24):
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
And i found an article at openwrt.org with WRT54G (see first point):
http://wiki.openwrt.org/Repeater

Some says that the broadcom chip has two wifi interfaces and therefore it can act as client and AP in the same time. All broadcom chips can do this???? Who knows that?
Has anyone ever tried it with this ASUS? If yes, with which type of firmware and which type of HW version? :confused:

Thanks the answers in advance!

Hi,

my friend calls this feature duplex vs. simplex operation mode.

In GUI System Setup - Operation Mode
Bridge is not supported.

AP
In Access Point mode, all 5 Ethernet ports and wireless devices are set to locate in the same local area network. Those WAN related functions are not supported here.

Explaining with technical terms, access point mode is, NAT is disabled, one wan port and four lan ports of WL500g.PremiumV2 are bridged together.

Darius

Darius

Endrew
26-03-2009, 13:57
Hello Darius,

unfortunately we aren't talking about the same thing as i understood you.

The communication mode you mentioned (simplex, half-duplex, full-duplex) is that the RF unit is an uni-directional(only transmit/or receive) or bi-directional(can transmit and receive - if it does both in the same time it is full-duplex).

Which firmware's GUI setup are talking about? Did you check the links i've inserted?

So describe again, i would like to establish a wireless connection between the "host" router and the ASUS, and create a wlan cloud with this ASUS router which my clients can connect to.
Can this ASUS provide this function? (regardless of the firmware)

darius
27-03-2009, 16:37
Hello Darius,

unfortunately we aren't talking about the same thing as i understood you.

The communication mode you mentioned (simplex, half-duplex, full-duplex) is that the RF unit is an uni-directional(only transmit/or receive) or bi-directional(can transmit and receive - if it does both in the same time it is full-duplex).

Which firmware's GUI setup are talking about? Did you check the links i've inserted?

So describe again, i would like to establish a wireless connection between the "host" router and the ASUS, and create a wlan cloud with this ASUS router which my clients can connect to.
Can this ASUS provide this function? (regardless of the firmware)

I fully understand your problem.
I was advised to learn if WL-500gP V2 was full-duplex,
if yes there is a chance to set it into AP bridge or repeater mode.
One issue is mac address.

Darius

robrbarron
23-09-2009, 02:29
Hi

Following KGy's post, I get my 2 WL500gPv2's to be associated in the Wireless Status page but they appear not to be authorized.
a/ I have disabled MAC filtering, so have not set the devices individually
b/ on the TV box, Wireless/Advanced/Extended=Ethernet Bridge

A wireless laptop connects to MAIN and appears in the Stations list as
associated authorized.

"wl autho_sta_list" returns nothing.

any tips on how to authorize the TV box so that packets travels between the two ?

pepaolo
22-10-2009, 17:01
Hi Endrew, I'm very interested in this issue because I'm in a situation similar to yours.

In particular: I have huawei e970 in first room connected to umts internet and some laptops connected via wireless with. In the second room I have the wl-500gp and I would like to connect it via wireless to the e970 because there is a printer connected via usb that I would like to share.

Did you solved it?

Many thanks, Paolo

rdpollard
01-12-2009, 06:50
I need to know how to do this as well. I have a d-link wireless router, and would like to get the wl-500gp v2 to connect to it so that resources can be shared. I've tried bridging, etc. No luck. I am using the stock firmware (I know, I know) and would like to stick with it if possible.

knottedknickers
12-11-2010, 20:15
I've read the 'extra' "WDS_Configuration_Guide_v1" (why isn't that included in the manual?!), but I still can't get my WL-500gP v2 to connect as a bridge in my network. I'm using the latest Asus fw. 3.0.4.4. Is there something more than selecting AP mode and entering the MAC address of the neighbouring router/AP? Or should it be WDS? Or Hybrid? I've tried all three, but none of them seem to work... Here's a bit of a diagram of my network:

Router <> AP1 <> AP2 <> WL-500gP AP

My printer (and USB HD) need to be at the far end of the network, so I'd really like to get this sorted out.

I've looked at this thread (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=12571&highlight=bridge), and this one (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=14293&highlight=bridge), and this one (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=21635&highlight=bridge), but none of them have the answer I'm looking for.

Any help much appreciated!